As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Comic Thread for Friday, May 6th, 2011

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    OH MY GOD 3 PANELS TALKING HEADS SO LAZY

jwalk on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BusterK wrote: »
    Larlar wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    This comic is BLASPHEMY. Wolves don't prey on humans! I mean, sure, sometimes wolves hunt down pregnant beasts and only devour the fetus, but still!

To play an oddly straight tangent...

Number of people killed by wolf attacks in 2006: 0
    Number of people killed by vending machines in 2006: 4

I never thought this statistic would be topical ever again.

So what your saying is I shouldn't get a vending machine to protect my baby?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_attacks_on_humans

PiptheFair on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    This comic is BLASPHEMY. Wolves don't prey on humans! I mean, sure, sometimes wolves hunt down pregnant beasts and only devour the fetus, but still!

Okay, I think I've got it
    I leave the baby in the care of the wolf inside a vending machine

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

a wolf vending machine

PiptheFair on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

a wolf vending machine

Press button
    Receive wolf

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

a wolf vending machine

Press button
    Receive wolf

suicide-booth.jpg

Ledneh on
  • faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Belruel wrote: »
    I have only read the first book but
    what about the whole mess with Daenry's husband/fetus? The death magic lady, the horrible happenings in the tent and that creature that the fetus came out as. Or would that could as dark voodoo magic I suppose. Still magic though.

It's been a long time since I read the first book, but
    I kind of think that point you can either believe that mirri is a legit voodoo lady who traded 'life for life' to turn dany's fetus into a half-dragon-monster and kill drogo

or that there was no magic involved, and mirri had simply poisoned drogo with the original poultice and whoops bad luck their kid was a stillborn harlequin baby (nobody google that please it is sad pictures if you do).

I kind of remember reading it the second way, until it became more and more obvious that yeah there is magic in this world.

faits on
    faits.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    On Song of Ice and Fire and early magical elements:
    The dragons are just regular beasts with a mythology attached to them and the ability to breath fire. Outside of that, they act like regular wild animals. The dark priest is more of a voodoo priest who may or may not just be full of shit and using fairly mundane shit early on. Even when it does become more explicit later on, it remains mysterious and more like dark voodoo magic than fantasy magic. The telepathic link is very subdued.

Oh, they just breathe fire. Yeah that's not magical at all..wait a minute!

Breathing fire is no longer a huge special thing. Sure, it might be magical, but it is the most mundane magical thing ever.

Dark mysterious magic generally isn't in typical fantasy shit. The evil magic is always basically regular magic that takes virgin sacrifices or some such shit and is usually explained in excruciating detail like the rest of fantasy story magic.

Couscous on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    but really

zombies show up in the prologue of the book

this is a fantasy series

Brolo on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think people need to be reminded how scary it is to have something breathe fire at them

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dubh wrote: »
    I think people need to be reminded how scary it is to have something breathe fire at them

I'll go get some gasoline and matches

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited May 2011
    It probably says something that I now think of zombies as more of a soft sci-fi thing than a fantasy thing. When I do think of them in fantasy shit, I think of them as low level mooks for the player to kill rather than anything serious.

Couscous on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    jwalk wrote: »

It's more fun when they're talking while emerging from cocoons. Or riding dragons.

SabreMau on
  • Yakumo FujiiYakumo Fujii Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I could see a wolf being very loyal and considering you a part of it's pack, if you raise it from a pup.

That would be the likely result if you treat it well. After all, that's where dogs came from, men tamed wild wolves.

Yakumo Fujii on
    What was she like?
    "Ordinary. The kind of dangerous, beautiful ordinary that you just can't leave alone. Like an angel from the underworld or maybe a devil from paradise."

"It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation."
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's us.

We are the baby snatchers.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    edited May 2011
    I could see a wolf being very loyal and considering you a part of it's pack, if you raise it from a pup.

That would be the likely result if you treat it well. After all, that's where dogs came from, men tamed wild wolves.

junglebook047_103503447.jpg
    But then you have to listen to everything your Akela says
    even when everyone is mad at you because your mom brought Hydrox to the pack meeting instead of Oreos
    Wait, I think I'm mixing some things up

BusterK on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    The dragons are just regular beasts with a mythology attached to them and the ability to breath fire. Outside of that, they act like regular wild animals. The dark priest is more of a voodoo priest who may or may not just be full of shit and using fairly mundane shit early on. Even when it does become more explicit later on, it remains mysterious and more like dark voodoo magic than fantasy magic. The telepathic link is very subdued.

Breathing fire doesn't necessarily have to be magical. It could be a chemical reaction from excretions from special glands that a dragon would have.

There are real animals that do pretty bizarre things that could be considered "magical" in the right context.

[url][/url]
    I remember this! As a ridiculously nerdy young kid, it blew my stupid little mind.

I ate this up as a kid! I loved pseudo-scientific explanations for fantasy stuff so much.

Still do!

Flight of Dragons was one of my favorites, though.

TankHammer on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011

Breathing fire is no longer a huge special thing. Sure, it might be magical, but it is the most mundane magical thing ever.

Dark mysterious magic generally isn't in typical fantasy shit. The evil magic is always basically regular magic that takes virgin sacrifices or some such shit and is usually explained in excruciating detail like the rest of fantasy story magic.

It's sort of amazing the kind of mental gymnastics you're going through to rationalize that it's not really magic. It's magic, but it's just normal magic, not serious magic!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You know who can breath fire and is awesome? Uncle Iroh from Avatar the Last Airbender.

But that's not magic. It's fire-bending.

TankHammer on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The birth of the dragons also boosted the alchemists' fire stuff, right?

Wights and Others were also introduced early on and are pretty unambiguously supernatural.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    edited May 2011

It's sort of amazing the kind of mental gymnastics you're going through to rationalize that it's not really magic. It's magic, but it's just normal magic, not serious magic!
    It is the difference between normal fantasy magic and abnormal fantasy magic that doesn't fit most of the ordinary tropes. The magic has more in common with old fashioned ideas of magic instead of modern fantasy magic where you go to school to learn magic, it is a well established thing, everybody and their mother knows the basic workings, etc.

Both Twilight and Nosferatu might contain vampires, but one is currently much more cliched at this point while the other would be fairly refreshing and unusual at this point.

Couscous on
    edited May 2011
    I knew a guy in college who could breathe fire
    But he had to take a swig of vodka first

BusterK on
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Andy Joe

This is an ingenious place to put that unexpected spoiler.

Which I just realised I was repeating for posterity.

Prolegomena on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Wights and Others were also introduced early on and are pretty unambiguously supernatural.

This is an ingenious place to put this unexpected spoiler.

They're early on in the first book. It's really stretching the definition of spoiler.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the others were early in the first book, yes (the prologue even)

but that other thing with the dragons was pretty late in the first book
    the camera can pan over those dragon eggs only so many times

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    iMPck.jpg

he was delicious

oh what, you don't know one of the best SNL skits of all time?

get off my lawn

I totally saw that skit, one time.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They're early on in the first book. It's really stretching the definition of spoiler.

I suppose there was some small chance that the bit I was referring to in that post was the bit about things that appear in the prologue.

Prolegomena on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The birth of the dragons
    also boosted the alchemists' fire stuff, right?

Uh
    the dragon's birth doesn't happen until the end of book one

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    You know who can breathe fire and is awesome? Uncle Iroh from Avatar the Last Airbender.

and he learned that technique from actual dragons

Centipede Damascus on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    You know who can breathe fire and is awesome? Uncle Iroh from Avatar the Last Airbender.

and he learned that technique from actual dragons

woah, hang on

who are you to say who is and isn't dragon enough?

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SabreMau wrote: »
    jwalk wrote: »

It's more fun when they're talking while emerging from cocoons. Or riding dragons.

as least put in some naked man-ass!

jwalk on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My great great great grandmother was a dragon.

Can I get into dragon college?

Xehalus on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011

Nah, it just means you can join the Dragon Federal Credit Union.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Geek wrote: »

Nah, it just means you can join the Dragon Federal Credit Union.

Daughters of the Dragon Revolution.

The_Scarab on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Not really, no.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

They're on the last page of the first book. That's really stretching the definition of "early".

KalTorak on
  • DavidStarskyDavidStarsky The fiery red Torino sped in to the street... and we spilled into action.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It could be worse.

It could be Dick Wolves.

DavidStarsky on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2011
    iMPck.jpg

he was delicious

oh what, you don't know one of the best SNL skits of all time?

get off my lawn

wait wasn't that skit on the dana carvey show

DJ Eebs on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pretty sure it was SNL. I remember that from some "Best of Dana Carvey" thing.

I think.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    everyone is right

that sketch was on both shows (it was on the dana carvey show in the spring, then when carvey hosted SNL in the fall he and smigel did it again)

how confusing!

faits on
    faits.png
This discussion has been closed.