As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Free Comic Book Day 2011: This time, it's free. Also, a day. And, like, comic books.

2»

• samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was the third person in the door at mine and they didn't have Atomic Robo, which I kinda wanted...

samurai6966 on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It was nutso where I work. Massive line when we opened, announced a convention, had artist there doing sketches and selling work, plus the costumers.

Algertman on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Between my wife, kid and me and 2 stores we got Amazing Spider-Man, Darkwing Duck, Green Lantern, Geronimo Stilton, Lock & Key, Mouse Guard, Super Dinosaur, Atomic Robo, Captain America/Thor Deadliest Sharks, Ice, Adam West, Tick, Top Shelf, Micky Mouse, Silver Scorpion, Witch & Wizard, and an issuse of TMNT.

One store had people in costumes, a MvsC3 turney, the AZ Ghostbusters, and members of the 501st. It was pretty crazy as the news was there too.

The second store had kids face painting and free snacks. The check out line was crazy long.

And to end the day we all went out to see Thor. It was a nerdtastic day. :D

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I got to meet Geoff Johns and Mike Mignola. Johns signed my Larfleeze figure and I got a picture of me and Mignola.
    Good day

Tairu on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    Between my wife, kid and me and 2 stores we got Amazing Spider-Man, Darkwing Duck, Green Lantern, Geronimo Stilton, Lock & Key, Mouse Guard, Super Dinosaur, Atomic Robo, Captain America/Thor Deadliest Sharks, Ice, Adam West, Tick, Top Shelf, Micky Mouse, Silver Scorpion, Witch & Wizard, and an issuse of TMNT.

One store had people in costumes, a MvsC3 turney, the AZ Ghostbusters, and members of the 501st. It was pretty crazy as the news was there too.

The second store had kids face painting and free snacks. The check out line was crazy long.

And to end the day we all went out to see Thor. It was a nerdtastic day. :D

I wanted so badly to go see Thor after going to FCBD, but I had to look after my daughter so that my wife and her mom and sister and niece could have a Mother's day "girls only" outing.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tairu wrote: »
    I got to meet Geoff Johns and Mike Mignola. Johns signed my Larfleeze figure and I got a picture of me and Mignola.
    Good day

The next time anyone here runs into Geoff Johns, tell the dude he needs to return to his hometown of Novi, Michigan for a spell, because we're feeling neglected here.

HadjiQuest on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I got about 20 comics at Midtown Comics, another ... 7, was it? at Jim Hanley's Universe, and another 3 at Midtown Comics. Then I walked into Forbidden Planet (curious to see what's up), was appalled at how rude one of the other patrons was to me five seconds after I walked in, remembered why I stopped going there years ago (all the cashiers are self-entitled assholes), turned right around and walked out. That'll teach me to believe that people can change!

Also, while waiting on line at Midtown, I saw a guy dismantle the central premise of FCBD with a single sentence:

Passerby: Hey, what's this line for?
    D-bag behind me: (condescendingly) If you don't know, you don't belong on it.
    My friend and I: (stare at each other in stunned silence)
    Person behind d-bag: (tries to salvage the situation by earnestly explaining FCBD)
    D-bag: (condescendingly) Yeah, so if you haven't read any comics in the past couple of years, you might want to get on line.

Thanks for making sure those people never feel the incentive to check out comic books, and that they always think of comic book fans as condescending tools, guy!

Delduwath on
  • Jason00Jason00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I picked up Super Dinosaur, Locke & Key, Atomic Robo and Baltimore/Criminal Macabre

If I would have known ahead of time that Locke & Key was a reprint, I would have grabbed something else.

Jason00 on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My store didn't have Atomic Robo, but I did grab Super Dinosaur, The Tick, and Cap/Thor

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So for FCBD I stopped into a new little hole-in-the-wall comic shop that opened up near my house in the location of what used to be a vacuum cleaner repair place. It's been there a couple months, but I waited until the proprietor took down the vacuum cleaner repair place's old sign and put up his own. It just seemed wiser.

It's a pretty nice little place. Nothing fancy at all, but the guy who owns it seems pretty cool and relatively normal and not stereotypically comics fan neckbeard-ish. He freely admits opening up the shop is his midlife crisis.

He had quite a good variety of the official FCBD books available. I picked up Atomic Robo. I used to read Clevinger's 8-Bit Theater religiously, in fact it was the first webcomic I ever read regularly, but I'd never read any Atomic Robo besides the couple of previews and such he posted on the 8BT site back when. Definitely going to have to pick up a couple of the trades now.

"Behold! An ordinary motorist!"

Gaslight on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Big Book of Dinosaurs as his Photo I.D. was my fav Dr. Dinosaur moment, plus it resulted in a PERFECTLY LEGAL MANNER of transaction, so that's always good.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Thanks for making sure those people never feel the incentive to check out comic books, and that they always think of comic book fans as condescending tools, guy!

When I get to New York, we should go dick-punching.

Other people, I mean. Not each other.

Crimsondude on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Went back and read Delduwaths post and my god what a comic-hipster, fuck-hole! How did you keep from setting that kind of person on fire? I will be punching dicks in spirit.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I did not get Atomic Robo, the Shark one or the Mignola book, super sad. But I got a bunch of other stuff, ASM and that was all I really wanted. Also Herc #1.

cardboard delusions on
    edited May 2011
    Baltimore/Criminal Macabre were both pretty neat little stories. CM is a neat take on the hard-boiled L.A. private eye. Baltimore ... Well ... Thank God I actually kind of like spiders.

Crimsondude on
  • TheHopelessGamerTheHopelessGamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone else pick up Darkwing Duck/Chip'n'Dales? I had heard actually good things about it over at ifanboy, and DW was one of my favorite cartoons growing up. It felt like a pretty great comic that honestly, kids might find a little boring, but I absolutely loved. Now I really want to grab the trade that's out. I also grabbed the 2000 AD sample as it's something I've always wanted to sink my teeth in to and it looks like they're going to be publishing some of the stories as stand-alone trade collections soon.

I also picked up the first Morning Glories trade and Time Bomb from Gray and Palmiotti. Morning Glories was eight bucks with my 20% off coupon and the thing is amazing! It's actually really reminded me of Ender's Game, one of my favorite books of all time, but also very much had a Lost vibe to it. Haven't read Time Bomb yet, but I'm excited to see what heavily-armed modern day soldiers could do to WWII Nazi Troopers. It just feels right and like it's going to be so satisfying, ya know?

TheHopelessGamer on
    edited May 2011
    Not to get too off topic here, but does anybody know why the second Atomic Robo TPB seems to be out of print/much more expensive than all the others?

Gaslight on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gank wrote: »

Went back and read Delduwaths post and my god what a comic-hipster, fuck-hole! How did you keep from setting that kind of person on fire? I will be punching dicks in spirit.

The guy looked like he was in his 40s. I can only assume that he was picked on high school, and now he has to be the asshole to other people to feel good. This whole thing prompted a lengthy discussion between me and my friend about how the way some geeks behave is identical to Nietzsche's theory on the genesis of morality: jocks are popular, and we are not, so to feel good we have to reverse it and say that being UNpopular is good! So, clearly, the jocks are the immoral villains, and we are the paragons of virtue! They end up with this outcast complex, where they complain about being outsiders and about being picked on, but at the same time they work really hard to remain that way (eg: being assholes to people who are genuinely curious about their geeky hobbies, clamoring for their hobbies [like video games and comic books] to gain legitimacy and mainstream recognition and then complaining when other people start getting into those hobbies, etc.). I kind of want to grab these people by the shoulders and shake them. Or hit them on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper.

I mean, look, I'm not going to say I'm completely innocent of this sort of behavior, especially in my younger days, but I've never alienated people who expressed interest in my niche hobbies. I've always tried to be the ambassador rather than the jealous cryptkeeper.

Crimson, Gank: we are but three men with at most six fists between us. I fear that is not enough.

Coming soon to a trade near you: Six Fists of Dick-Punching!

Delduwath on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I told anyone I knew who had kids or I thought would enjoy it in general to stop by an LCS or Midtown. Hell, I went back yesterday to grab what I could that's left over just to mail to friends. Comics are what you make them, but most importantly fun - and everyone should share that.

cardboard delusions on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Not to get too off topic here, but does anybody know why the second Atomic Robo TPB seems to be out of print/much more expensive than all the others?
    They go in and out of print. Give it a few months, and there will probably be a new edition of it out. In the meantime, if you have an iPhone/iPad, or want to read it on your computer, you can buy the second trade for just $3.99.

They also offer free Atomic Robo samples here, so you can gauge whether you'll enjoy the digital reading experience.

Munch on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh hey, anyone that missed this year's free Atomic Robo, can now read it online.

Munch on
    edited May 2011
    YESSSSS, the only thing I didn't get that I really wanted.

edit: god that was awesome!

cardboard delusions on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yay Atomic Robo!

Solar on
    edited May 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    They go in and out of print. Give it a few months, and there will probably be a new edition of it out.

Alrighty. I just thought it was sort of odd that 1, 3, and 4 are all apparently in print and 2 isn't.

Gaslight on
    edited May 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    Oh hey, anyone that missed this year's free Atomic Robo, can now read it online.

Read it over breakfast on my phone. This world is amazing.

Anyway, it was an awesomely fun comic. I especially like how Dino ...
    Kept the pipe in his mouth up until he got "hit" by the van.

Crimsondude on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    that was adorable and well written

I wish more comics could be like Atomic Robo

Antimatter on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, Free Comic Book Day did its job in my house. I haven't bought much in the way of comics in awhile - I picked up a few books ages ago like the first TPB of Fables/Sandman/Scalped and then never really followed up by buying anything else.

We went on Saturday for him mostly (he's 6, I thought he'd dig it) and we left with a bunch of freebies - like 6 each maybe - he bought an extra Sonic comic and I couldn't resist the 3 part Axe Cop series. He ended up loving the one with Owly in it...I haven't read all mine yet. I'm thinking I may be sucked back in and start buying stuff again. Time to read the sticky "I'm new" thread I guess!

Lindsay Lohan on