As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Minecraft] Beta testers at war

DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
edited January 2013 in Games and Technology
Thanks to Kris_xK, Ein, Vic, and Jerick for the previous OP's

1010842689_DYj3P-L.jpg
1015419613_NYok6-L.jpg

Do you like Lego? Would you like to play with it again? Then you need to Minecraft.

Minecraft is a game about squares.

In a world made of blocks, you (a rather blocky person yourself) must use your wits and common sense to build and carve a way to safety. This is a dangerous world, make no mistake – monsters appear from out of the dark, mountains themselves can roar at you, and an errant poke in the wrong direction could bury you alive under tons of soil.

But all is not lost. You’re a smart adventurer, after all. After tearing down some trees with your bare hands and building yourself a rudimentary shelter, you’ll begin to explore the mineral wealth of this new land – iron, coal, gold, and even stranger treasures await you deep in the cores of these mountains. The question is, can you work your way to the heart of the earth, plunder its riches, and return to tell the tale?

Developed by one-man creator Markus Persson (also known as Notch), Minecraft is a Java-based, sandbox-style adventure. It fits squarely among more difficult survival games such as Dwarf Fortress and NetHack, while keeping the simple charm of one’s younger building-block days. It is outwardly simple, internally complex, easy to play, and difficult to master. Perhaps best of all, despite being constructed of laughable square blocks, the game manages to deliver a wonderful atmosphere of fear, paranoia, determination, and reward all in one package.

Where do I play the game?
This game can either be played using a downloadable application or online in your browser.

If you want to play survival, play using one of these links: Browser | Downloadable Client.

If you want to play creative, play using one of these links: Browser Singleplayer | Browser Multiplayer | CPColin's Client | WoM Client
Note: This game mode does not have most of the features that survival does. Notch has favored updating Survival instead. It doesn't have the cool lighting or half the blocks that survival does.

Is it free?
Yes and no. Creative is free and survival is pay-only. When you purchase the game, you get access to Survival and the ability to have a custom player skin, among whatever comes with the game as a whole.

Current Price:€16.95 | US$26.95 | £19.95
Purchase Here

Videos:
Includes How-To and Beginner videos!

Useful Shit (MAY BE OUT OF DATE):

Programs & Utilities
Isometric Live Map Preview - Use this for your survival worlds.
NBT Forge - A map editor for Survival.
OMEN - A map editor for Creative
Isocraft - A great isometric image generator. Only works with creative maps.
Cartograph - Creates a map of your survival world. It's quite buggy right now but gets the job done.
INVEdit - You can use this to edit your inventory in survival.
NBTEdit - You can use this to change almost anything about your save. Spawn point, health, etc.
Skin Edit - A tool you can use to edit your player skin.

Textures
Don't like the default graphics? Here are some of the popular ones. MAY BE OUT OF DATE
SMP's Texture Pack
Tahel's Texture Pack
Cheap Shot's Texture Pack
Brown & Bloom Texture Pack
Painterly Pack
Dokus' RPG Texture Pack
None of these interest you? Try browsing this list. Someone on the minecraft forums compiled every texture pack into one megathread.
Dírhael wrote: »
The rather excellent HD texture fix would be a valuable addition to the OP. Being able to play with larger textures, and still have animated water & fire is quite enjoyable.

Want to see what the look like? Cog made a handy picture guide!
Cognisseur wrote: »
Attention New Players!

In case you're interested in changing your Texture Pack, but don't know what to go with?

I loaded a few of the Texture Packs from the OP and took screenshots of the same location on Zetx's server (which hopefully demonstrates some texture variety) using each one. (Tahel's Pack link didn't load, and I didn't know what to do with Cheap Shot's .png file)

Default Texture Pack:
SqOYP.png

SMP's Texture Pack:
Gefc0.png

Brown & Bloom's Texture Pack:
BmFgx.png

Painterly Pack:
B6WHZ.png

All 4 Packs Side-by-Side Comparison:
P7ScY.png

Skins
Java Skin Editor
Skinning Tutorial, Supplementary Skin by VALVEjunkie
The Skin Index - Skin Listing
Miners Need Cool Shoes - Site for Skins

Links
The Official Minecraft Site - Play the game here.
The Dev Blog - Notch's dev blog., Posts a lot of updates and info here.
Notch's Twitter - Can be read on his blog as well.
The Official Minecraft Forums - Just don't fucking do it. The community is fucking retarded. Already.
Minecraft Wiki - The official wiki for the game.
SA Minecraft Wiki - Another wiki, this one run by Something Awful Goons. Lots of in jokes and not as comprehensive.
World of Minecraft - The WoM Custom Client lets you hack and play offline in Minecraft Classic.
The Skin Index - Skin Listing

STEAM GROUP
Clicky!
Ask in Steam chat to be added.
Please do not send me PM's about being invited to the steam group, instead make a post in this thread.

PUBLIC PA Servers

Nations at War
http://nationsatwar.org/
Ask Empirical to be whitelisted. Just be sure to read up on our rules on our site.

SE++ server, go check out their thread.

The Underdark: No longer online. Download Link http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6WHZU2GS

Phoenix Smasher's server.
minecraft.guardbreak.com:25566

WildCard Minecraft
smp.wcminecraft.com
Hardcore, Faction, PVP, PVE

Herocraftonline.com
mc.herocraftonline.com
Hardcore, RPG, PVP, PVE

For others ask in Steam Group chat

IF YOU HAVE A SERVER AND WANT IT TO BE ADDED TO THE LISTS, FEEL FREE TO PM ME.

DeShadowC on

• DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    nationslogo1.pngv2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkGMuiMMmYg

We're ready for beta testing. Aculem is ready for any bug reports. /naw help to get plugin commands. Right now we've enabled the ability for anyone to grant themselves, or others for that matter, iConomy using /money grant player amount.

We're currently in closed beta. Get your applications in for season 2.

Here are the gameplay mechanics.

Please submit any bugs here.

Ein also updated the texture pack. It'll likely update again with a few small changes here is the pack. Make sure to use the HD texture patcher found here.

DeShadowC on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    not THIS again

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • FalhurkFalhurk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yaay! New Thread Smell!

Falhurk on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    does anyone else think the 'cheevos are hilariously underwhelming? I want shit like
    ragequit wrote:
    lose more than 5 diamonds in a single death to lava
    collect a full inventory of string
    white fang wrote:
    tame a pack of ten dogs
    have three creepers in minecarts within a 20-block radius
    build a music box in a thunderstorm
    suffocate under a stack of at least 40 gravel
    wild boar wrote:
    anger a tribe of seven or more pigmen
    equip a full set of undamaged leather armor
    fall from above the clouds to bedrock
    build a bookshelf and then right-click it with a pocketwatch equipped
    build a hollow 3x3 cube out of cake blocks
    the ascent wrote:
    ride a waterfall more than 40 blocks upwards in a boat
    kill four skele-spider combos
    john wayne wrote:
    wear a leather hat and ride a pig
    kill a creeper with a TNT block

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • LaservalLaserval Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The "ride a pig of a cliff" achievement is just that kind of achievement, isn't it? It even has a different style of icon from the "get x" types, hinting at there being a mix between the different types. I hope there will be lots of the pig kind!
    Yours would be great too. "Kill a creeper with a TNT block", hah!

The Ghibli video linked in the last thread is all kinds of awesome. Apparently the map can be downloaded from the author's blog, but it's in Korean and Google Translate fails, and the files are in some odd compressed format (.ALZ).

I'm on some kind of underwater-building-spell that has me building domes, towers and tunnels everywhere on the seabed. Pity the generated sea is rarely deep. Two floors on a tower and it hits the surface :/ But at least it then shows up on the renders.

Laserval on
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    With the achievements, those are just the placeholders and are more to help out new people. It's been said over and over again that more will be added, as well as achievements being online based rather than local only.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really see the achievement system as more of an odd help system than achievements. Something so you won't have to consult the Wiki for everything. Perhaps a block encyclopedia ingame that fills out when you use a block or get some achievements. Fulfill some achievements with minecarts? You get the blockpedia entry for powered minecarts with a hint/full on spoiler on how to craft them. It's interesting and could add some purpose to the game for new people. Get all the achievements, fill out the blockpedia, know how to craft everything without ever touching the wiki. Of course it should only provide information and never block crafting something because you did not do the achievement for the block.

That would make an interesting server mod though.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • NotyetdoneNotyetdone Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So im flying around the old N@W map, in an editor, just looking for cool things to grab and keep for a map me and another friend of mine are working on and i spot an island. but not just an island, its got a lot of yellow blocks under it. but not directly under it, pretty far under it. i go inside, and discover the roof was made of lava. i look around. my first words were

"those.. fuckers..."

"i... hate...the earth...nation..."

thats right.. i finally found your hidden, and WELL hidden forward base.
    holy
    shit
    this
    thing
    is
    huge

i must give you props for this you guys. My god, you are insane. and just brilliant.

I also looked around and saw one of my old mining shafts when right by it... one block....
    one
    damn
    block

and i would have discovered you. well then again, by then water nation had already been nerfed and you threw all my diamond swords into lava so there would have been no hope for me except to get around 10 water nation to assult that place.. good times... good times.... i miss the server :( why cant you guys code faster!?!?!?!

just kidding, i realize coding is annoying, long, and tedious. i took a flash game design and animation class and holy crap.

i was amazing... but hated it.

i hope for the best of luck at coding for the next few days, or weeks on the server mods. and maybe you can release them to the public? i might want to use it for a server soon...

I cant wait for the new server <3

Notyetdone on
    Sometimes, when no one is watching..
    I dig straight down...

Im going to laugh when i see on the news that a criminal prone kid strangled his brother to death with a shoelace when he erased his minecraft save.
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    From the last thread: I remember a while back someone mentioning a few sites offering some good prices on minecraft servers, but I can't remember what they were.

Anyone got any good suggestions?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why would you need a minecraft server? Wouldn't just any ol' server do?

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    TKane wrote: »

Well, different hosting sites are offering different prices. Was wondering if anyone had any good experiences or knew of any good deals.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited May 2011
    Well you need a server designed for gaming since they tend to be high ram, where most web hosts aren't. Here is a list of popular ones. Don't use brohost. They've oversold their capacity.

DeShadowC on
  • TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aumni wrote: »
    TKane wrote: »

Well, different hosting sites are offering different prices. Was wondering if anyone had any good experiences or knew of any good deals.

AH! Now I get it. I thought you meant like, buying a physical server and setting it up in your house. Ignore me.

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Thanks DeShadowC, no worries TKane, my post was kinda vague.

Aumni on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Will lightning strikes catch a wood-plank structure on fire?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited May 2011
    Yes unless you do something like disable fire spread.

DeShadowC on
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like those achievement quotes. Has anyone created a mod for achievement yet?

samurai6966 on
  • overnightfutureovernightfuture Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Notyetdone wrote: »
    So im flying around the old N@W map, in an editor, just looking for cool things to grab and keep for a map me and another friend of mine are working on and i spot an island. but not just an island, its got a lot of yellow blocks under it. but not directly under it, pretty far under it. i go inside, and discover the roof was made of lava. i look around. my first words were

"those.. fuckers..."

holy
    shit
    this
    thing
    is
    huge

i must give you props for this you guys. My god, you are insane. and just brilliant.

I also looked around and saw one of my old mining shafts when right by it... one block....
    one
    damn
    block

and i would have discovered you. well then again, by then water nation had already been nerfed and you threw all my diamond swords into lava so there would have been no hope for me except to get around 10 water nation to assult that place.. good times... good times.... i miss the server :( why cant you guys code faster!?!?!?!

just kidding, i realize coding is annoying, long, and tedious. i took a flash game design and animation class and holy crap.

i hope for the best of luck at coding for the next few days, or weeks on the server mods. and maybe you can release them to the public? i might want to use it for a server soon...

i was suprised fire nation ever found your forward base

overnightfuture on
    edited May 2011
    Notyetdone wrote: »

"those.. fuckers..."

holy
    shit
    this
    thing
    is
    huge

one
    damn
    block

i was suprised fire nation ever found your forward base

They followed someone in.

DeShadowC on
  • ImperiusVImperiusV Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I believe I was the first non-Earth to set foot in the secret forward base. I found it by drilling holes at random near the southeast coast.

Unfortunately, there was that business with the ransom note, and I acted like an idiot. I later bricked up their teleporter and made Luny suffocate, though.

ImperiusV on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Was reading around on the N@W site, and thought of this bukkit plugin:
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/sec-fun-factions-v1-1-7-guilds-war-and-user-controlled-antigrief-733.3565/
    maybe you could get in contact with that coder and see if you can pool your efforts. It kinda sounds like you both are on the same mind set.

Paradox Control on
    \
    edited May 2011
    We took a look at a server running that and didn't like it. Don't remember why though.

DeShadowC on
  • Knight Of AwesomeKnight Of Awesome Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We can't fight off the snow forever
    It will overcome us...

Knight Of Awesome on
    lastfm_red_small.gif 4jGb8.jpg
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I...I don't mean to barge in here but...can I get whitelisted on Columbia? My Minecraft name is dbrock2701.

dbrock270 on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Suriko wrote: »
    So many goddamn cool mods coming out.

Dual-wielding, with left-click for left and and right-click for right hand! And zip lines! Mo' Creatures for 1.5_01! Game of Life! Sloped blocks! Revamped tree generation! Have the entire world contained in glass spheres!

I can see this ending up like how Bethesda games always do for me; more time spent trying mods than playing D:

That last also has a mod that turns creepers into cluster bombs D:

Phoenix-D on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like the idea behind the Biosphere mod; I'm just afraid it would be a hassle to switch between the standard terrain generator and the modded one.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Yosemite SamYosemite Sam Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Damn, the secret base is public. C'mon Foamy, time to start a new one.

Yosemite Sam on
    edited May 2011
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    I...I don't mean to barge in here but...can I get whitelisted on Columbia? My Minecraft name is dbrock2701.

Done.

DeShadowC on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Here is what I have been working on in the Diannaochong.dyndns.org server.

A view from Cerger's totally awesome skyrail. My home is conveniently located at one of the corners.

2011-05-09_00.30.45.png

One thing that is driving me crazy is that some of my fences just love to go invisible. They are still there, keeping the minions of the night at bay, but they don't show up and look like there is large portions of my fence missing. :(

Here is a closer view, standing on top of my tunnel of trees.

2011-05-09_00.48.24.png

And here is the map, showing where on the server it can be located. The arrow points to a corner of the sky rail, you can just climb the rail and follow it all the way to my place.

map.png

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's getting there!
    ccube_wip4.jpg

(so much light gray wool... my god! I actually have a buttload of light gray dye at least for once, but somehow ran out of white wool, which is crazy because I had a lot)

This is what it looks like on our server's dynmap:
    ccube_wip_mp1.gif

I really wish DynMap showed wool colors :(

(p.s. that is the main reason I didn't fill in the circles yet even though I have a few stacks of light gray wool on me... I like looking at the hearts on the map :D)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Um.

Does lightning set wool on fire?

Phoenix-D on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Talith wrote: »
    Here is what I have been working on in the Diannaochong.dyndns.org server.

A view from Cerger's totally awesome skyrail. My home is conveniently located at one of the corners.

2011-05-09_00.30.45.png

One thing that is driving me crazy is that some of my fences just love to go invisible. They are still there, keeping the minions of the night at bay, but they don't show up and look like there is large portions of my fence missing. :(

Here is a closer view, standing on top of my tunnel of trees.

2011-05-09_00.48.24.png

And here is the map, showing where on the server it can be located. The arrow points to a corner of the sky rail, you can just climb the rail and follow it all the way to my place.

map.png
    Looks pretty good Talith. Makes what I was working on the other night when I was talking to you on the server look like a joke.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Um.

Does lightning set wool on fire?

Well it won't fit in the sentience incinerator.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can someone help me understand what the f I just heard playing single player?

I was mining and I've gotten used to hearing the typical growling, but this time I heard what sounded like the start of an ambulance siren. It started low and reached the high point and then just stopped. Maybe I just haven't paid enough attention before, but this sound was awful. I guess you could also describe as the sound you hear in Psycho, that dun dun dun, only higher pitched and slower.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • BatmantisBatmantis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can I get whitelisted for Columbia too? Minecraft name is Batmantis.

Batmantis on
    Play with me people!
    LOL: Batmantis
    MTGO: Batmantis88
  • OcculusOcculus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, I just got Minecraft. It's digital crack.

What's essential to download? I shall trust in the forum's opinion on this.

Occulus on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TripKMATripKMA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    So many goddamn cool mods coming out.

Dual-wielding, with left-click for left and and right-click for right hand! And zip lines! Mo' Creatures for 1.5_01! Game of Life! Sloped blocks! Revamped tree generation! Have the entire world contained in glass spheres!

I can see this ending up like how Bethesda games always do for me; more time spent trying mods than playing D:

That last also has a mod that turns creepers into cluster bombs D:

C'mon now, you can't leave out AdventureCraft. It's the most ridiculous shit ever. Except for, you know, all the other ridiculous shit ;-)

TripKMA on
  • LaservalLaserval Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Can someone help me understand what the f I just heard playing single player?

I was mining and I've gotten used to hearing the typical growling, but this time I heard what sounded like the start of an ambulance siren. It started low and reached the high point and then just stopped. Maybe I just haven't paid enough attention before, but this sound was awful. I guess you could also describe as the sound you hear in Psycho, that dun dun dun, only higher pitched and slower.

I think that is the wailing sound in the caves you mean? It doesn't happen very often (I've only heard it a few times). And yeah, it is terrifying.

Laserval on
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So when I joined up on the Columbia server I spawn inside a block, I can't get out and I keep dying. Somebody help?

dbrock270 on