As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mbannick wrote: »
    So I might have made a mistake by booking a room at the warwick in belltown. Has anyone stayed there? It seemed pretty decent and the price was cheaper than some of the other hotels in the area. After booking it I did a bit more research and it seems that a lot of people complain it's run down and smelly. Most sites still have it at a pretty high customer satisfaction rate, but I'm not so sure about it now. Since I was at the silver cloud inn last year I decided I wanted to get a hotel a bit closer to the convention center.

We stayed at the Warwick for our first PAX in '08, mostly because they have a Gov't rate that was about $25 cheaper than the PAX hotels. Even with the $10/day WiFi charge it was still a better deal. It wasn't a bad place to stay. Definitely a step up from the typical bare-bones Ramada/Super 8/Motel 6. Having a movie theater and a little market right across the street was nice. The rooms are very large and open, perfect if you are sharing a room or are planning on doing some off-site gaming. On the other hand it is a bit of a hike to the convention center. Also, be aware that the entire exterior wall is single pane glass, so if you get a room with a view of the Space Needle there is a quite a bit of road noise on the lower floors. We were on the 7th floor and it was "okay"... not too noisy to sleep, but not as quiet as a modern hotel.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    FellinaFellina Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    With the hotels filling so quickly this year, is there any chance that PA will be able to secure additional rooms? Anyone know if the "full" hotels would honor the PAX discount if I were to call them directly? Otherwise I guess I'll head on over to the room share thread. =/

Fellina on
  • Options
    mbannickmbannick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Stupid wrote: »
    mbannick wrote: »
    So I might have made a mistake by booking a room at the warwick in belltown. Has anyone stayed there? It seemed pretty decent and the price was cheaper than some of the other hotels in the area. After booking it I did a bit more research and it seems that a lot of people complain it's run down and smelly. Most sites still have it at a pretty high customer satisfaction rate, but I'm not so sure about it now. Since I was at the silver cloud inn last year I decided I wanted to get a hotel a bit closer to the convention center.

We stayed at the Warwick for our first PAX in '08, mostly because they have a Gov't rate that was about $25 cheaper than the PAX hotels. Even with the $10/day WiFi charge it was still a better deal. It wasn't a bad place to stay. Definitely a step up from the typical bare-bones Ramada/Super 8/Motel 6. Having a movie theater and a little market right across the street was nice. The rooms are very large and open, perfect if you are sharing a room or are planning on doing some off-site gaming. On the other hand it is a bit of a hike to the convention center. Also, be aware that the entire exterior wall is single pane glass, so if you get a room with a view of the Space Needle there is a quite a bit of road noise on the lower floors. We were on the 7th floor and it was "okay"... not too noisy to sleep, but not as quiet as a modern hotel.

well I booked an executive room with two queen sized beds and an "upgraded" view so it should be on a higher floor I assume. As far as the distance to the convention center is concerned I'm fine with the walk since we took the shuttle to pikes place then walked the rest of the way last year without any problems (I used to visit a friend who lived in queen Anne and we would walk downtown all the time). As long as the place isn't a total dive I'll be fine.

mbannick on
  • Options
    PinkRangerPinkRanger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love being able to get government rates. Booked a room at the homewood for a government rate. So nice. Maybe I should reconsider getting out of the military and stay in...............nah!!!

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

Find me on twitter- @pink_4ssass1n
    and twitch- twitch.tv/pink_4ssass1n
  • Options
    79tomato79tomato Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anyone stay at the Fairmont before? How is it compared to the Sheraton (besides the distance factor)?

79tomato on
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is it just me or did hotels sell out REALLY fast this year... like 3 months earlier...
    Everything close is sold out already... :-(

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Everything is selling out faster this year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ChichenChichen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just purchased 2 executive rooms at the Hilton for Thursday to Monday. Now I just need my plane tickets.

Chichen on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PinkRanger wrote: »
    I love being able to get government rates. Booked a room at the homewood for a government rate. So nice. Maybe I should reconsider getting out of the military and stay in...............nah!!!

Oddly enough, booking through the travel company was cheaper (only by $20) than doing the government rate for me. It's a perk to work for local government!

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    taxortaxor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    79tomato wrote: »
    Anyone stay at the Fairmont before? How is it compared to the Sheraton (besides the distance factor)?

We stayed at the Fairmont last year. It has a very ritzy feel to it which at first almost made us feel out of place. But the staff was very friendly (on the day we checked out, they brought our car to us with cookies and milk for the trip home) and the room was excellent (it seemed bigger than the living room to my apartment). If you don't mind the extra price I highly recommend it.

taxor on
  • Options
    79tomato79tomato Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    taxor wrote: »
    79tomato wrote: »

We stayed at the Fairmont last year. It has a very ritzy feel to it which at first almost made us feel out of place. But the staff was very friendly (on the day we checked out, they brought our car to us with cookies and milk for the trip home) and the room was excellent (it seemed bigger than the living room to my apartment). If you don't mind the extra price I highly recommend it.

Good to know, for the last couple of times we have gone to PAX we have stayed at the Sheraton and been really happy with it. This year though we managed to get a cheaper rate at the Fairmont so we went with that hotel instead.

79tomato on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Oddly enough, booking through the travel company was cheaper (only by $20) than doing the government rate for me. It's a perk to work for local government!

Yeah, I got a 4 person room at the Homewood for like $140 a night thanks to a military ID.

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    does anyone know exactly how the parking situation works at Red Lion? Good/bad?

Parking anywhere downtown is extremely expensive. I spent almost $150 last year on parking alone. (I just Googled the Red Lion and its $36 a night). Most hotels also require valet parking and some do not offer in and out privileges (although you probably won't need them).This year its the train for me.
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    savagehart wrote: »
    I stayed in the Hilton last year (my 1st PAX) and after my 3rd-4th trudge up the hill, going past the Sheraton, I VOWED that next year I was staying at the Sheraton and save what remains of my knees.

I'm not sure why you did any walking uphill or is it a big secret that there is a very nice tunnel under the Hilton going directly to the entrance to PAX? (ok it did suck 1 day when they had the escalators shutdown for some reason and I had to walk up them but even then that was me being a bonehead and not going back up the elevator and walking outside downhill the whole way, oops). You can get in at any time just ring the buzzer next to the door if it is locked and the guard will buzz you in. I loved it last year. OTOH the Sheraton IS right next door and its a great place to meet other PAXers. I am just mentioning this for those that do "get stuck" at the Hilton.

Thanks for the input guys; looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet since we're driving in from Canada. The parking for four nights is going to cost almost as much as one night of the hotel...haha

T4CT on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm coming from Edmonton. I'd recommend flying if you can swing it. Airfare will be equivalent to gas plus parking, and there isn't much of a reason you'll need a car in Seattle.

I thought about driving last year, and when I got to Prime I was glad I didn't. My car would have stayed parked the entire time. Also the drive home would have been arduous, since I would have been tired and coming down from the high that is PAX.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Four of us are carpooling and doing it as a road trip, so flying's just not as much fun. That's primarily why the car was the choice.

T4CT on
  • Options
    TimaeusTimaeus Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    First time, waited to long and lost out on a 156 hotel room, so staying at the second cheapest atm, a hilton... cheap and hilton never thought id say those two words lol

Timaeus on
    Hotel [X] Pax Ticket [XXXX] plane ticket [working on]
    The extra X's are just a sign of happiness. =P
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just booked at Hyatt Olive 8! First PAX here I come!

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    KnifeySpoonyKnifeySpoony Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Waited too long so at the Westin this year. Lone representation!

KnifeySpoony on
  • Options
    ninjakinsninjakins Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Husband and I grabbed a spot the Hilton Seattle for our very first PAX experience! Very excited. We're getting in early/flying out late to check out the town.

ninjakins on
    Long-time lurker, PAX 2011 first-timer. Be gentle.
    Twitter: @ajhackwith
  • Options
    CloudwalkerCloudwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I booked at the Paramount since the Sheraton had no Sunday rooms by the time I got round to booking. It doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love in this poll, despite being pretty close. Anyone stayed there before and have an opinion, good or otherwise?

Cloudwalker on
    Token Scottish guy.

Google+ | Twitter
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I got my room at the Sheraton and all I need to do now is apply for my media badge. 8-)

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Awesome, looks like they opened up more Thursday rooms at Sheraton. Cancelled the previous 1 night stay at another hotel and extended my main reservation.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Dracil wrote: »
    Awesome, looks like they opened up more Thursday rooms at Sheraton. Cancelled the previous 1 night stay at another hotel and extended my main reservation.

Yeah, about 6 rooms at the Sheraton are going to open up here as soon as I cancel my reservation. I orginally had 6- 2 man rooms at the sheraton, but just got a better deal at the Homewood, so I just gotta cancel my sheraton rooms. They were for the 24th-29th. Will post here right before I cancel them so everyone knows. Will probably be tomorrow.

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

• Options
    SharkweekattackSharkweekattack Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Ugh, trying to find a room for me and two friends. Kinda hard since one of them only has a set amount of money ($200 something odd dollars) and the other doesn't want to spend too much. So our only other option is to find a room with some other people or a really cheap hotel. Any suggestions? like is there a holiday inn or something near by?

Sharkweekattack on
  • Options
    jelementjelement Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Any chance we'll see more 1 beds at the Sheraton for Fri/Sat nights? There's 9 for Thursday and 9 for Sunday but I don't want to have to change hotels, especially twice.

jelement on
  • Options
    taxortaxor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I booked at the Paramount since the Sheraton had no Sunday rooms by the time I got round to booking. It doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love in this poll, despite being pretty close. Anyone stayed there before and have an opinion, good or otherwise?

Stayed there the year before last. Its not great or horrible. The proximity is nice. Since its off the main drag, there's not as much noise and foot traffic to deal with. The rooms are basic and fairly small, but adequate for the convention as we just used it to sleep. The only complaint we had was with the valet service when it came to getting our car. Half the time there was nobody there.

taxor on
  • Options
    eMDeeeMDee Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Booked at the Red Lion. Stayed at Sheraton last year and it was awesome for it's proximity for dropping off/picking up stuff and getting back to the con.

Any tips/complaints/comments about the Red Lion I should be aware of? It's going to be our group's first time staying there.

eMDee on
    The unorthodox and the unlikely - it's what I do, it's what I'm good at.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anybody set foot in the Roosevelt before? I snagged a room there for Fri/Sat night, want to make sure it's not a shithole. I like the proximity, for sure, and it was like $20+ a night cheaper than the Grand Hyatt.

Otherwise I might shop around for that mad government rate, yo.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Switching to the Sheraton this year. Did Grand Hyatt the past few years, but it got a little more expensive then I was comfortable with. Should be a nice change of pace.

havok978 on
    XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FYI hotels are about 80% sold out at this point.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I noticed there's not much love for the Grand Hyatt on here, anyone want to weigh in on that? I've got two nights there. If it's just the expense that's scaring people I'm actually OK with that, we're staying with a friend before and after PAX so we were able to cut costs.
    We actually wanted the Sheraton but sadly it was sold out. As things go my wife's uncle used to work for them, so he can sometimes snag a discount rate a week before, so if they're not completely booked we may swap if he can pull that off.

tsrblke on
  • Options
    Blackie62Blackie62 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alright I stayed at the Fairmont last year because they gave me the press rate and because they went with that whole business of being a Fairmont. Someone convince me to try the Sheraton this year.

Blackie62 on
  • Options
    havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    tsrblke wrote: »
    I noticed there's not much love for the Grand Hyatt on here, anyone want to weigh in on that? I've got two nights there. If it's just the expense that's scaring people I'm actually OK with that, we're staying with a friend before and after PAX so we were able to cut costs.
    We actually wanted the Sheraton but sadly it was sold out. As things go my wife's uncle used to work for them, so he can sometimes snag a discount rate a week before, so if they're not completely booked we may swap if he can pull that off.

For me, the main issue this year was cost. I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt the past few years and really enjoyed staying there. To the best of my recollection, it was always a little more expensive, but this year was just a bit more than I felt like spending. You'll have a nice stay there.

havok978 on
    XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    havok978 wrote: »
    For me, the main issue this year was cost. I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt the past few years and really enjoyed staying there. To the best of my recollection, it was always a little more expensive, but this year was just a bit more than I felt like spending. You'll have a nice stay there.

That makes me feel better. By the time we started thinking about hotels most were already sold out. (i.e. the shareton) And the Hyatt was only $10/night more than the Hilton. This is the wife and my vacation, so splurging was kinda a given. Also our friend offered to let us stay at his house the whole time, so if we were going to get a hotel it had to be close (so the wife could bolt back for catnaps) otherwise it'd be a complete waste of money.

tsrblke on
  • Options
    OccamOccam Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Anybody set foot in the Roosevelt before? I snagged a room there for Fri/Sat night, want to make sure it's not a shithole. I like the proximity, for sure, and it was like $20+ a night cheaper than the Grand Hyatt.

Otherwise I might shop around for that mad government rate, yo.
    I'd also like to hear some reviews if anyone has one. I waited a bit too late and thought everything close by was sold out for the dates I wanted (25th-29th), though I could find some if I didn't get that thursday night. Well I re-tried and the Roosevelt popped up, and it's right across the street, and it's one of the cheaper options...I'm thinking there's got to be a catch. It's not one of the options on the poll and I haven't heard anyone mention it aside from mcdermott here.

I'm not too picky, but it will be kind of a bummer if everyone shuns it for some reason. Was hoping to share a hotel with a bunch of PAXers. :)

Occam on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    FYI: In about an hour, I am cancelling 6 rooms at the Sheraton for the 24th-30th. So if you are still looking for a hotel, that will be your chance to grab one. I will edit this post right before I go do that.

Update: I am cancelling those rooms right now. Just a heads up.

Further Update: Rooms cancelled and now accessible under search. There are 6 single bed rooms at the Sheraton for Friday and Saturday now. Get em while they are there.

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

• Options
    edited May 2011
    FYI: In about an hour, I am cancelling 6 rooms at the Sheraton for the 24th-30th. So if you are still looking for a hotel, that will be your chance to grab one. I will edit this post right before I go do that.

Further Update: Rooms cancelled and now accessible under search. There are 6 single bed rooms at the Sheraton for Friday and Saturday now. Get em while they are there.

They appear to be gone already in case anyone else goes after them.

tsrblke on
  • Options
    Big GuyBig Guy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Thanks PinkRanger, I snagged one of the rooms while they were available.

Big Guy on
    Survivor of PAX '06 (BALL!), PAX '07 (Don't be a Dick), PAX '08 (Bad Horse), PAX '09 (H1Nerd1), PAX '10
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    tsrblke wrote: »

They appear to be gone already in case anyone else goes after them.

Yeah, sorry. I tried to get back on here to post that they were gone, but the servers were busy. They went really fast.

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

• Options
    TeknotronicTeknotronic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Yeah, sorry. I tried to get back on here to post that they were gone, but the servers were busy. They went really fast.

So I guess you are the one I should thank for canceling :-)

Been checking constantly the last couple weeks for Sheraton openings and could never find the entire block open at once. Checked yesterday morning and there were 3 available across the entire range, snagged me one QUICK!

The other two were not far behind as I searched a little bit later and they were already gone.

Teknotronic on