As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword: With Thread and Post

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The prices in Fire and Steel are what is killing me

I just can't buy anything.

Want a basic mace, that's 5000. Killing 45 bandits will net you like, 300

You have what you are lucky enough to come across, that's it. The game needs serious balancing unfortunately

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Do some trading to earn quick cash. Once you have a bit, then do a caravan or two. Mad money!

Then you can sit astride your horse behind your skirmish line of a few dozen musket guys and gloat as they slaughter everything before them.

Arrath on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, thus far WFAS seems a lot less focused on the player's individual contribution to the battle and more focused on developing and deploying your forces well.

And doing quests is a way better moneymaker than killing bandits and selling their trash.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Quests used to be so useless

Guess I gotta do that then

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    certain types of quests were good

track down bandit/find bandit hideout from city merchants mostly

L|ama on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

You have what you are lucky enough to come across, that's it. The game needs serious balancing unfortunately

get caravan of velvet in the east and sell it to the west (like from Sich to Novgorod, you wanna buy for ~100-150 each, sell for 800+). You can make up to 100,000 thaler per trip. Also, a store only needs one of an item in the goods store to make a full caravan, so if you keep a velvet in your inventory you can sell it to a place where you know there should cheap velvet but is out, then make the caravan, then buy back your velvet. I made 1.5 million thaler pretty quick doing this last night

You can speed up travel time a ton by holding ctrl+space

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I saved up from a couple of easy quests, and found that a smaller force of 10 guys could do the force peasants to give you supplies option without starting a fight, then sell their trade goods, repeat until you can hire more troops, once I had about 60 mercenaries I started looting and burning villages, they never rebelled against this, and I started making some really nice money selling even more trade goods that I got from them.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Really tempted to just torch the countryside for cash dollars

I tried a caravan, selling dates, went across the map at the most painful speed, and halved my money

I have no idea what is made where, is there a more comprehensive list? I'll do the ones you guys have mentioned

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How much money do you need to send a caravan, because I have had well over a thousand thaler and asked in every goddamn city I could find, and when I tell them where I want to send my caravan, I just say "Another time" which leads me to believe it's pretty expensive.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    My date caravan was like 5700

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Really tempted to just torch the countryside for cash dollars

I tried a caravan, selling dates, went across the map at the most painful speed, and halved my money

I have no idea what is made where, is there a more comprehensive list? I'll do the ones you guys have mentioned

Get someone with high trade skill (ingri or whatever he name is), then Assess the market and it'll tell you where the money's at. you shouldn't do it at random

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I fear I may need to restart this game

Poland is getting progressively smaller compared to Sweden and I really don't have enough money or troops to make another breakout attempt at wealth and fame

gonna have to try Beef Avenger's method, that sounds pretty solid

also maybe ally myself with someone other than the Polish, they're just getting pounded on all sides with only one war between the russians and the... other guys who are not Sweden... to give them any sort of respite from the fighting

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah I had to restart my game when I realized I made the critical mistake of making an ally of the smallest country and an enemy of the largest

And I was so poor

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Poland is getting progressively smaller compared to Sweden and I really don't have enough money or troops to make another breakout attempt at wealth and fame

also maybe ally myself with someone other than the Polish, they're just getting pounded on all sides with only one war between the russians and the... other guys who are not Sweden... to give them any sort of respite from the fighting

to save yourself some time, export your character then import it into the new game. Let's you hold on to your stats (and money maybe i forget)

Character->Statistics->Export Character
    Then give the new character the same name and import

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »

to save yourself some time, export your character then import it into the new game. Let's you hold on to your stats (and money maybe i forget)

Character->Statistics->Export Character
    Then give the new character the same name and import

wait, really?

I thought that was just to share the character, I didn't realize it was like new game +

I'm definitely going to do that

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    L|ama wrote: »
    the warband sword animations still really annoy me

to the point that I just get the biggest sword i can find and swing it like a maniac

Yeah they're pretty ugly and I find it hard to tell how high/low I'm aiming

Scudo on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Agahnim wrote: »
    I am still looking for a worthwhile magic mod for this game.

solid and shade is alright. fuckin' necromancy and shit.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

get caravan of velvet in the east and sell it to the west (like from Sich to Novgorod, you wanna buy for ~100-150 each, sell for 800+). You can make up to 100,000 thaler per trip. Also, a store only needs one of an item in the goods store to make a full caravan, so if you keep a velvet in your inventory you can sell it to a place where you know there should cheap velvet but is out, then make the caravan, then buy back your velvet. I made 1.5 million thaler pretty quick doing this last night

This.... was really solid advice.

Double barrel pistol woooo!

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    should I give Fire and Sword another try or leave it for a little and play Pendor which I've never played before

YaYa on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

This.... was really solid advice.

Double barrel pistol woooo!

I think I'll have to start a new save so I can apply this advice, I've upset everyone other than Sweden in my current attempt.

Oops.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    YaYa wrote: »
    should I give Fire and Sword another try or leave it for a little and play Pendor which I've never played before

My opinion, leave it. It's really only a glorified mod, doesn't add much. Really the only thing new is grenades, guns are basically crossbows (they're even still called crossbows in the character files!)

I enjoy Pendor a lot more

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm liking Vanilla a bunch more than Pendor

no crazy-ass wild card groups of 1000 strong just wandering the map

just a bunch of assholes who want to unite the land under their favorite asshole

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    gotta be that asshole

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    im doing this pain in the ass balls quest where youre meant to retreive this hidden stash of money for the cossacks only they wont fucking tell you what the password is so you've got to go on a merry jig through the steppes asking everyone what it could be ... oh and nearly every one you ask is wrong.

fucking cossacks bet theyre laughing behind my back

800px-Repin_Cossacks.jpg

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Berk wrote: »
    im doing this pain in the ass balls quest where youre meant to retreive this hidden stash of money for the cossacks only they wont fucking tell you what the password is so you've got to go on a merry jig through the steppes asking everyone what it could be ... oh and nearly every one you ask is wrong.

fucking cossacks bet theyre laughing behind my back

800px-Repin_Cossacks.jpg

Make war with them

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The russians probably know.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    cool so PoP just constantly fucking crashes

sometimes I get a couple of battles in first, most of the time not

it's not even a consistent error, sometimes it's a runtime error and sometimes it says it's missing a file

piece of shit

it did say it thought it was an earlier version when i first installed, but ohhhhhh maybe it's confused because I have vanilla M&B installed

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    L|ama wrote: »
    cool so PoP just constantly fucking crashes

sometimes I get a couple of battles in first, most of the time not

it's not even a consistent error, sometimes it's a runtime error and sometimes it says it's missing a file

piece of shit

it did say it thought it was an earlier version when i first installed, but ohhhhhh maybe it's confused because I have vanilla M&B installed

PoP 3.301 for Warband: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,126952.0.html

PoP 3.011 for M&B vanilla: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,148192.0.html

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    its definitely 3.301, and it definitely thinks that I have warband 1.124 when i definitely have warband 1.134

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    oh ok i thought you meant you might have the warband version installed on vanilla

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    nah, just thought there might be some interference there somehow

next step would be reinstalling warband buuuut I don't really wanna download another gig or whatever (+ don't think it would help for some reason)

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Okay, so basing my career on trading instead has been a good decision. I just need to raise a force that can defend against any bandits so I can do full wagon runs and I'll be sweet

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Are shields worth a damn for blocking bullets in FaS?

I think I'm going to remake my character as a high charisma trading/army building focused character and so I've got to come up with a good way to stay alive since I'm not going to be able to shoot the broad side of a barn while riding my horse

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I just did that, it's not too difficult, just a couple points into horseback shooting and you'r golden, though all your shots will be close range

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah most of my kills are close range, either trotting in a circle while the unwashed sword waving masses follow me, or after bumping into an enemy rifleman while he reloads and doing him execution style

Do shields block bullets well/at all?

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They do, but shields don't like them much

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    ieyeasuieyeasu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I guess there's a public line battle today for Musket and Mount

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,152599.0.html

Necessary thread.

ieyeasu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    shields might slow bullets down a little

but there's a reason no one in the big professional armies uses them at all

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah that's what I figured, I guess I'm better off investing in a fast horse than a fancy shield if my goal is not getting shot

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ieyeasu wrote: »
    So I guess there's a public line battle today for Musket and Mount

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,152599.0.html

Necessary thread.

Eastern is GMT-4 right now, right?

about what time should I log in to teamspeak as a complete stranger to those boards in order to figure out whose orders I'm supposed to be following?

MrMonroe on