As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BRINK] Hang on, the Boat-Bus is in for some chop! (OUT NOW!)

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man it just came in from UPS by Amazon and I just slapped a return label right on it. The general consensus is that the game is wah wah. I'm not even good at multiplayer gamers. No idea what I was thinking with maybe the bots might make up for it.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ObiFett wrote: »
    CripTonic wrote: »
    to get killed in about 2 seconds because the guy you're shooting RNG'd more headshots than you (thanks COF.)

Wha? There are hitboxes in this game, I thought. So headshots are actually headshots, not some RNG decided bonus, right?

"Thanks COF" means "thanks, cone of fire." He's saying if two people shoot at each other, the person whose bullets happen to randomly hit the head is the person who will win. I haven't played Brink so I'm not sure how big the cone is, but depending on the spread it's certainly something I could imagine being pissed off about.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • SlickMcShineSlickMcShine Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hopefully these people figure out how to play soon, because that shit sucks and is oh soooo frustrating. I can definitely see the CoD gameplay ingrained in many of these FPS players. This is not a shortcomming of the game, which many reviewers seem to think it is, this is a shortcomming of the players who simply dont enjoy team oriented FPS. Thats cool, not everyone likes everything, but that doesn't make the gameplay bad.

Not that the game is perfect, but its damn fun as hell in a good team.

From 3 years (or is it 4) Hell I dont know but from however many years TF2 has been out im afraid im going to have to say no. No it is not going to change. If your going to play pubs your best bet is to find 2 or 3 friends to play it with so you always have a compitant team. What I do on TF2 and its kept the game good for well however many years this is.

Also after watching live streams of Brink Im getting rather impatiant. BooooooooooOOOOOOO!

SlickMcShine on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MrDelish wrote: »
    I'm having a really odd graphics issue that the 11.5a hotfix did not fix. Screenshot in this spoiler:

Anyone have this and fixed it?

for anyone else that's having this, apparently all ATI 4xxx cards are getting it: http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24811

I guess I'll have to wait for a fix because of this and the fact that I can't get more than 30 frames a second (mostly 20 on 1280x720 and low everything)

See, this is why I stopped playing PC games. There's only two companies in the 3D card gaming business, Nvidia and ATI. JUST TWO, and they still can't get their shit together. Those two have the entire marketshare, and the developers still couldn't get everything working properly. You still have to fiddle around with drivers, or wait for new ones, or do some other arcane bullshit.

Just got tired of being treated like a battered housewife. Sure, you might get better resolution and performance then consoles, but it's just not worth it anymore. Life's too short to deal with this nonsense.

Delta Assault on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man it just came in from UPS by Amazon and I just slapped a return label right on it. The general consensus is that the game is wah wah. I'm not even good at multiplayer gamers. No idea what I was thinking with maybe the bots might make up for it.

Likewise I've been playing a different game than what all of the reviewers have. Mine is called BRINK. It is quite fun. Needs some slight map balancing but overall is great. The main problem is that the weapons aren't all that different, for all the hype about that. You have half of them unlocked to start with and after doing the challenges and unlocking them all you're not really sure what to do with all of them.

I thought general consensus was that it was good beyond a few technical kinks (like me crashing today)

initiatefailure on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    On a scale of

CoD to Quake

how exactly does this game plays?

Casually Hardcore on
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I think the PC version w/dedicated servers is definitely the way to go if it is an option for you.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm having a really odd graphics issue that the 11.5a hotfix did not fix. Screenshot in this spoiler:

for anyone else that's having this, apparently all ATI 4xxx cards are getting it: http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24811

I guess I'll have to wait for a fix because of this and the fact that I can't get more than 30 frames a second (mostly 20 on 1280x720 and low everything)

What am I missing, I have a 4890 and it works fine.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    On a scale of

CoD through Quake

Borderlands

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    On a scale of

CoD through Quake

Enemy Territory.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Game is essentially Enemy Territory 3. Closest comparison would maybe be TF2 but it plays out a bit differently.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ObiFett wrote: »
    CripTonic wrote: »
    to get killed in about 2 seconds because the guy you're shooting RNG'd more headshots than you (thanks COF.)

Wha? There are hitboxes in this game, I thought. So headshots are actually headshots, not some RNG decided bonus, right?

"Thanks COF" means "thanks, cone of fire." He's saying if two people shoot at each other, the person whose bullets happen to randomly hit the head is the person who will win. I haven't played Brink so I'm not sure how big the cone is, but depending on the spread it's certainly something I could imagine being pissed off about.

The only COF in brink is from when you fire from the hip, or Heavy weapons like the minigun. While in iron sights, your bullets go where your weapon is pointing, but the recoils is generally such that you have to manage it properly to hit your target consistently. Spam your weapon, and that thing is going to jump all over the place. This is especially true for the higher powered rifles.

Now that doesn't take into account hit detection issues and lag, but at least on the PC with dedicated servers, that seems like it's less of an issue. I could see how it'd be a bigger "thing" on consoles, and I hope SD fixes whatever problems are there soon.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    Har.

If you win it actually tells you that it makes the bots on the other team better and those on yours worse.

Seems like this explains part of the bot issue.

And its things like this that make me wonder if the reviewers actually paid attention to the game.

ObiFett on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I've watched my target stick to an enemy and follow them slightly... on PC... why is this? I didn't see any sort of aim assist setting.

initiatefailure on
  • Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just cancelled my preorder. Having been delayed for an extra six months or so, Brink should have been rock solid, but this sounds a bit dubious.

I'm going to keep watching the thread though. Really want to play, but I'm going to hold off until things pick up.

Edit: I've also got a 4XXX series card - a 4890, specifically. Some people say it works, some people say it doesn't. Argh!

Quake Matt on
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Meh. Another game where everyone can take a full magazine of bullets to the chest before going down. Makes it even worse when the guy you FINALLY manage to kill gets one of those magical healing needles, and all your bullets were for nothing.

Metallikat on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I've watched my target stick to an enemy and follow them slightly... on PC... why is this? I didn't see any sort of aim assist setting.

go into controls, you can change that in the console version so I can't imagine the setting just isn't there on PC

of course that's irrelevant because the netcode is so damn spotty on 360 anyway

T4CT on
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Metallikat wrote: »
    Meh. Another game where everyone can take a full magazine of bullets to the chest before going down. Makes it even worse when the guy you FINALLY manage to kill gets one of those magical healing needles, and all your bullets were for nothing.

Unlock the drum magazine and shoot medics first. Good times

Canada_jezus on
    edited May 2011
    Metallikat wrote: »

Unlock the drum magazine and shoot medics first. Good times

target priority, teamwork, strategy, and tactics?

pfssh, I just wanna hide and headshot people. Or sprint like a coked-out madman and stab guys.

ObiFett on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This. Amazon. 360 pre-order bonus. How?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited May 2011
    email?

ObiFett on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Most reviews I've seen complaining about the game have only played solo.

Anyone have a link to a competent multiplayer review?

Seriously?

Or did you mean to say "a review that tells me what I want to hear"

"what I want to hear" is how the game plays when there are live humans playing the game.

I understand the bots are morons, it doesn't bother me if the game is fun when actual people are playing.

Literally every review I've read today has addressed multiplayer

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited May 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Also, if you talk about how it is a multiplayer focused game and so on, maybe you should review the friggin' multiplayer. Just say "The single player is the same, but with bots" and move the fuck on.

He had basically 2 sentences about SMART as well.

Maybe it's because there really isn't much to say about SMART? It's pretty easily summed up as "Hold a button to jump over stuff and create alternate paths". I'm not knocking it. I'm just saying there really isn't much to wax about.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited May 2011
    Maybe it's because there really isn't much to say about SMART? It's pretty easily summed up as "Hold a button to jump over stuff and create alternate paths". I'm not knocking it. I'm just saying there really isn't much to wax about.

Also, I think it will take a week or two until people get really skilled with SMART and find all the avenues you can use it in game.

ObiFett on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For giggles I wanted to see if Brink would run on my laptop. It launched. Then gave me a middle finger.

I've put maybe 2hrs into the multiplayer and I have no idea where these reviewers are getting their complaints. Game is fun. Sure its rough in certain areas but it's still a blast to play.

projectmayhem on
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Smart with a medium or god help you fatty body isn't anything special, but light has some nice things you can do. Also the extra speed is great for flanking. Run past some dudes, molotov lollercakes all the way to the bank.

Also, 2 or 3 people can grind through an entire team if the enemy team comes in piecemeal.

Canada_jezus on
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Had time to run home and do most of the challenges on my lunch break today. So far: totally awesome.

I haven't even started the campaign or played a single round, but I've enjoyed the challenges so far. Once I got used to the way the game handles, anyway. It's a little weird at first.

Excited to really get into it later.

No word on my Psycho pack from Amazon though....so we'll see what happens with that :(

hatedinamerica on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, fun game. Crashy as shit (apparently ATI has new drivers out for this?) and the no sound bug is frustrating.

But, fun game. Will be awesome in a patch or two.

kildy on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The objective system definitely needs an overhaul. And a map.

It's annoying getting something like 'guard door' as your objective, because it may actually mean 'the door needs to be destroyed but you aren't the right class' or 'the enemy team is trying to destroy this'.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For giggles I wanted to see if Brink would run on my laptop. It launched. Then gave me a middle finger.

I've put maybe 2hrs into the multiplayer and I have no idea where these reviewers are getting their complaints. Game is fun. Sure its rough in certain areas but it's still a blast to play.

Almost all of those reviews were on the 360 version, and with bots.

And truth be told, if you were planning on getting this for the 360 (or especially the Ps3 right now) with no intention of ever playing MP, I'd say wait. It's a fun game, with plenty of content to keep you interested, but a deep, rich single player experience it is NOT.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited May 2011
    Welp

http://www.giantbomb.com/brink/61-26694/reviews/

I can't accept this review because Jeff Gerstmann hasn't proven to me that he has working thumbs.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2011
    Welp

http://www.giantbomb.com/brink/61-26694/reviews/

I can't accept this review because Jeff Gerstmann hasn't proven to me that he has working thumbs.
    Bots will run up against objects you're interacting with, as if they can't see you and are trying to complete the objective that you're already completing.

Well, for starters, multiple people make capturing objectives, building stuff and hacking things go faster.

Echo on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i am getting a weird graphical glitch with this

looks like the lines between polygons are visible, so there are grids of aliased white lines running everywhere

this is a driver thing probably?

Evil Multifarious on
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I despised Gerstmann's reviews ever since his Twilight Princess review.

He complained and marked the game down for being too similar to Ocarina of Time... the thing is, on his Majora's Mask review, he complained and marked it down for being too DIFFERENT from Ocarina of Time.

He also gave Blazblue one of the most disrespectful treatments I've seen.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game greatly, greatly needs a K/D stat. Or more specifically, a Kill / Knockdown / Fell Down / Deaths stat.

I understand why they don't have it, and it's still a fucking stupid idea. It plays to the lowest common denominator. Fuck, at least show people their own K/D so they can have some conception of how they are doing. The Exp field does very little to assess the actual performance value of a player.

This is a shooter. At any given time, most players will be shooting bad guys. That is the majority of the game. The objectives are very important, but when you get stuck behind a wall of enemies, only good shooting is going to save the day.

It's really infuriating to get locked down and not know who is fucking up and how so. You cannot tell if enemies are shooting straighter, rezzing more often, etc.

programjunkie on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i am getting a weird graphical glitch with this

looks like the lines between polygons are visible, so there are grids of aliased white lines running everywhere

this is a driver thing probably?

MrDelish on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game greatly, greatly needs a K/D stat. Or more specifically, a Kill / Knockdown / Fell Down / Deaths stat.

I understand why they don't have it, and it's still a fucking stupid idea. It plays to the lowest common denominator. Fuck, at least show people their own K/D so they can have some conception of how they are doing. The Exp field does very little to assess the actual performance value of a player.

This is a shooter. At any given time, most players will be shooting bad guys. That is the majority of the game. The objectives are very important, but when you get stuck behind a wall of enemies, only good shooting is going to save the day.

It's really infuriating to get locked down and not know who is fucking up and how so. You cannot tell if enemies are shooting straighter, rezzing more often, etc.

More stats are always better (pending they are laid out well and not just a wall of numbers).

Decoy on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    God i hope they never add a K/D stat...i dont want that shit in a game that isnt about kills. It will just perpetuate camping and kill whoring CoD style, no thanks.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, I joined a random security team on mission 1. We kicked ass. We breezed through mission 2 in like 2 minutes flat.

Mission 3 was rather hard though, we couldn't even really get out of the spawn. Mostly because all enemy players were completely invisible for everyone on the team.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I guess fine well, lots of people are hating this game based off what seems a very limited experience of multiplayer/wanting to kill the hype? Thats fine, let them have those thoughts I suppose.

Meanwhile, I am going to be having what is to me, one of the funnest multplayer fps's I've played since BC2. Plenty people on these websites and these forums are more than willing to look past a games rough edges if a game is fun, which this game is. For those on the fence I will say this, I have the game for PC. The single player is basically nothing more than the multiplayer with terrible bots. The multiplayer is super fun and reminds me (of course) enemy territories + unreal tournament for some reason. It's fast paced, intense and a blast to play.

Maybe not worth the 50$ for those of you on ps3 as well, you cant play the online goodness and I cant really speak of how it plays on the 360 (I would assume decent minus the graphic issues which I believe are to be fixed in a future patch) but on the PC its Mirrors Edge + Team and Objectived based fps goodness.

projectmayhem on
This discussion has been closed.