As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BRINK] Hang on, the Boat-Bus is in for some chop! (OUT NOW!)

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Medics get one more supply pip than Soldiers, and only their revive gives more XP. The health buff gives the same xp as other buffs.

Also the revive gives 50 XP to the person being revived, to give them an incentive to wait their ass there for a second and wait for heals.

I mean, you can say "Medics get too much XP!", but it's a fabrication. Maybe it feels that way, but they get roughly the same as anyone else.

Even if they did get more XP I'd support that to an extent. Objective games are about getting bodies and bullets at the right place at the right time. Players generally need healing/revives more than they need ammo.
    Estilo wrote: »
    Musicool wrote: »
    K/D stat.

As much as burying a K/D stat somewhere in the menus will spawn some KiDies I agree it's useful. A High K/D can mean nothing, but a low K/D is valuable info. Yeah sure maybe he's all about the objective. Doesn't mean I'm gonna trust him to have my back. It might mean I'll have his instead.

Plus there's a point where "all about the objective, screw the KD" is just as bad an attitude. Team players don't do half as well (in pub matches) without team slayers. An accesible K/D stat, along with all the other indicators - such as score per minute - might help me suss out how killtastic I should be to fit the team I'm in.

wtf does that even mean?

how the hell did people ever cope before the stat craze

It means what it said.

How did people cope before the internet? I don't even remember and I don't really care.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • IslandIsland Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am so frustrated.

I cant even launch this fucking game. I'm not the only one too, multiple users have reported the same issue on the Steam and Splash Damage forums. Gets to the splash (irony?) screen and dies.

I want to play this game, I want to love this game. And I CANT EVEN START IT.

This may be the last time I preorder a PC title. I was going to get it for PS3 (it only does offline) but thought hey KB+M would be nicer.

If the issue isnt resolved by next week, I will never buy a Splash Damage game again, (and possible Bethseda for pushing such a buggy launch.)

(That being said, I do have a preorder pack from D2D that I havent used yet, and might give it away if I cant get launch the game. Maybe give it to you lucky guys that can play.)

Island on
    camo_sig.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is it just me, or is your friendly AI in the challenges pants-on-head retarded? Like, to the point of ruining the experience of doing the challenges.

I only had time to 2 star the Objectives challenge (very first one). First star was stupid easy, literally just walking around and touching things. Second star was enraging, because my allies did nothing. They would literally stand around me while I tried to do the objectives and watch as I got gunned down and then get killed themselves. The medic revived me literally ONE time.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Malkor wrote: »
    K/D stat.

As much as burying a K/D stat somewhere in the menus will spawn some KiDies I agree it's useful. A High K/D can mean nothing, but a low K/D is valuable info. Yeah sure maybe he's all about the objective. Doesn't mean I'm gonna trust him to have my back. It might mean I'll have his instead.

Plus there's a point where "all about the objective, screw the KD" is just as bad an attitude. Team players don't do half as well (in pub matches) without team slayers. An accesible K/D stat, along with all the other indicators - such as score per minute - might help me suss out how killtastic I should be to fit the team I'm in.

wtf does that even mean?

how the hell did people ever cope before the stat craze

You accused people of being noobs without anything at all to back it up.

Oh? Sorry if I did... but when was this?

Estilo on
    edited May 2011

He meant that's what you did before stat tracking.

Edit: Ninjas. Damn.

Edit edit: Goddammit Luigi, you paper ninja. Making me look like a fool twice in one post.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    K/D stat.

You're right. In a perfect world, a K/D stat could be displayed, along with various other stats, as a metric for how well a player is doing, and how they could improve.

Unfortunately, we live in a post-CoD (though it's slightly unfair to blame CoD entirely for the current woes of the FPS genre, it is the archetype that is most readily identifiable) world, where a player can easily drown in a deluge of unidentifiable stats and bars, or where their performance is, justifiably or not, summed up in the single easiest stat to display, their kill/death ratio.

Posting the K/D ratio sets a sort of importance on the score. To a gamer, it can be interpreted as the developers saying, "This stat is important to the gameplay, so important, that we're placing it next to your score." In a competitive environment, a player will grasp onto whatever he can to assert superiority; they will claim that, while they did not place first in terms of points scored, they did however have the best K/D. This promotes a style of play that is not enjoyable for anyone but the person doing it. It promotes camping, sniping, and other selfish behaviors that Splash Damage did not want in their team-focused game. The decision to keep or remove the stat was, I believe, carefully thought out, and in the end they realized that they did not live in a perfect world, and the benefits of a visible K/D ratio were far outweighed by the downsides.

DrDinosaur on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That game already gives out a reward to the person who gets the most kills.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    Operatives are sort of weird. While most of the team is going to be focusing on a specific area, the operative focuses on creeping around the edges (Barring a hack objective). The disguise is mainly used to facilitate sneaking; the map design makes it so players won't think too much of a teammate up on a rooftop somewhere, or running in an odd direction.
    The first thing you need to do as an Operative is to find a dead enemy. You can either comms hack him, which I've found to be moderately useful, as long as you're on the defending team, or just disguise. Once that's done, run around, spot mines, hack turrets, grab and upgrade command posts, and call out enemies to your team. You can also pick off lone enemies, but since you loose your disguise if you shoot, you have to be sure that you'll be able to kill them. Being a light body type can help here, since you can run up and slide tackle a medium or heavy that's running away from you. You won't do so well against a group of enemies, unless you have a grenade launcher/minigun.

Basically, the Operative is the lone wolf who runs around the sides of the map, grabbing non-combat, secondary objectives.

Awesome. Thanks for the tips. I haven't had much of a chance to skulk around as a operative yet, so this will help out a bunch. From what little I have experienced, though, it doesn't seem like you even have your weapon up while disguised, so I take it you can't tag people or mines with your iron sights while disguised? Or am I mistaken, and you can pull up your weapon but just not fire it? Still feels like a good way to mix up gameplay, though, in that you can provide support to your team without being on the front lines all the time.

Firewalling command posts sounds like something that ought to become routine, too.

Your weapon is basically invisible. The switch weapon button still switches weapons, the iron sight button will still zoom in, but there's just no weapon model up. It's sort of disorientating at first, but you still function as though you are holding a weapon.

You can't reload though, so be careful

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, they gave medic more XP because they wanted to incentivize healing people, but perhaps they overdid it a bit.

I was planning on rolling medic first, but reports being that teams are heavy with medics I might try out operative (even though I was a terrible spy in TF2) or an engi.

I've been in two games now with almost all engineers. At one point there were three medics, but they were doing nothing but self-buffing. No heals, no buffs, nothing... just self buffs.

Ugh.

Also, I haven't had a good connection yet tonight. Every game is awful with lag. Probably just bad luck, but I'm going to give up for tonight.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited May 2011

He meant that's what you did before stat tracking.

Right...

Estilo on
    edited May 2011
    Snip

Oh, per-game K/D is bad. I was talking about lifetime K/D (if others can see a player's stat page). Unless you were too?

Edit: My point is, there are lots of things you can tell from stats, K/D being a big one. Often in BLOPS I'll browse through a player's stat page if he's gotten me curious the match before. If he has a high K/D I look further. If his Win/Loss is far lower than his K/D he's a lone wolf (selfish). If his W/L is around about his K/D then he's about as team-oriented as he is good. If the W/L is masively higher (like say milkducks here) then he runs in parties a lot. Check the lobby for people he might be playing with.

Then check his weapons used. Does he use the OP weapons a lot? Then he's not quite as good as he seems, he's just lazy (but maybe still good). Prepare for tryhard mode.

And so on. These are things I like to know.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    edited May 2011
    Yes, I was. Even if it's not displayed per-match, the presence of the metric only encourages players to measure themselves by it.

DrDinosaur on
    edited May 2011
    Fair enough. Don't disagree, but as edited above I like as much info as possible on other players.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    edited May 2011
    Fair enough. Don't disagree, but as edited above I like as much info as possible on other players.

Do you run clans? That I would understand perfectly.

Estilo on
    edited May 2011

As in run them myself? Hell no. That sounds too much like work. :P

Just a game over-thinker.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We had some fun games tonight. I really enjoyed the hell out of it. We hit some pretty serious lag in the first match, and it continued into the second, but once we broke free of that Host, everything was fine. I've been working primarily as a Medium-sized Medic, and it's a blast. There's always something for me to do, and I've got a ton of supply pips and a quick refresh rate, so I don't often worry about running dry as much as other classes.

I've been using the Lobster Grenade Launcher as my primary, along with the Bulpdaun SMG as my secondary, and it works really well for me. The Lobster's a funny kind of support weapon; it has to reload after every shot, doesn't deal serious damage, and can only fire 4 grenades before needing to resupply. It does, however, briefly knock enemies prone in the blast radius, which makes it great for breaking up formations, and digging out entrenched foes. Sometimes, when I'm heading back into the fight, I'll climb up above the action and rain a few shots down on the enemy -- they aren't often killed by the explosions, but the knockdown helps my team move the front lines forward, so it's great.

Even though it's my secondary, the Bulpdaun is the weapon I use most often; that thing's a beast. It's one of the steadier SMGs in the game, especially when equipped with a Grip and Muzzle Break (which reduces damage in addition to recoil), so it's pretty easy to keep on target. It doesn't do a fantastic amount of damage per bullet, but that thing spits out death pretty quickly, regardless. If I see someone about to roll up on me, I usually try to knock them off their feet with the Lobster before double-tapping with the Bulp.

This game is fun.

milk ducks on
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man this game is FUN.

Played through the security campaign, 2-starred all the challenges, now I'm working on the resistance campaign.

I played some online...was pretty laggy at first but eventually was good. I had trouble beating one of the security missions so I just opened up a coop lobby and got some pugs to help. Maybe mingleplayer isn't a total fail after all.

Also 8 maps...definitely not as big of a concern now that I have a feel for how long/varied the matches are.

mr_mich on
    edited May 2011
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Even though it's my secondary, the Bulpdaun is the weapon I use most often; that thing's a beast. It's one of the steadier SMGs in the game, especially when equipped with a Grip and Muzzle Break (which reduces damage in addition to recoil), so it's pretty easy to keep on target. It doesn't do a fantastic amount of damage per bullet, but that thing spits out death pretty quickly, regardless. If I see someone about to roll up on me, I usually try to knock them off their feet with the Lobster before double-tapping with the Bulp.

This game is fun.

I use that as my primary, and the galaxy as my secondary. I'm pretty sure the key to victory so far is SMG + drum mag + red dot, at least for me.

I'm playing as a medium engi and having a ton of fun. Also, I was worried about people saying that the turrets sucked. Medium turret is waaay awesome, I can't wait for gatling.

mr_mich on
    edited May 2011
    I'm starting to think this game just isn't for me.

But it's so close.

I'm going to keep at it.

And maybe I should stop playing as a medic. Or stop trying to help teammates. There's a message in there somewhere.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ugh this game has so much potential it's just not finished not on xbox360 at any rate. Netcode is terrible and makes multiplayer pretty unplayable. Co op is great though and that's what makes not being able to play multiplayer even more frustrating. It's like you can see this really awesome experience you just can't reach it. This game is going to need a lot of post release support and could really have benefited from a beta of some sort. I'm having a good time with what's playable here it's just frustrating knowing that this could have been so much better as a finished product.

jonny439 on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, anyone have any awesome moments worth noting yet?

I was playing Heavy Medic, and one of my soldier teamates got shot down a ways ahead of me. No other teamates nearby. The 3 enemies that shot him rush in to melee him to finish him off. I start firing my LMG and kill all 3 of them in under a second, and revive my buddy. He says "Holy shit, dude."

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited May 2011
    Page- on
    stream
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't used the Medium Turret yet. The Light Turret didn't do a whole lot for me, but I'm sure it gets better by leaps and bounds as you continue to upgrade your character. My next guy will almost certainly be a primary Engineer. That class really appeals to me, but I'm having so much fun as this Medic right now; all of the abilities are exactly how I want them.

I only just picked up Adrenaline Rush (which temporarily makes someone immune to damage, but after it wears off, they take all the damage they suffered during the invincibility, all at once), and I'm really eager to use it. People have pointed out that there are some difficult choke-points in Brink, but aggressive use of abilities like Adrenaline Rush will certainly help break up some of those formations.

milk ducks on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    a K/D ratio would be nice, or more experience put on kills or something

it seems like being a medic nets you about a bajillion times more XP than being a soldier

i want something for acing half of a team with headshots from the LR.

recognition will do in a pinch :p, so k/d plzzz

You can kills mans without a K/D Ratio showing. Having a KD ratio also wont net you more XP. I can agree that kills could use an XP buff, but a K/D ratio on a game like this...just no, that would be like having a K/D ratio on Left 4 Dead.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited May 2011

As in run them myself? Hell no. That sounds too much like work. :P

Just a game over-thinker.

I think I'm still bitter from kz3. I recall seeing clan requests for players with "your k/dr must be higher than X and you only play as the nastiest, most abusable class" :lol:

Estilo on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Page- wrote: »

That's encouraging.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

it seems like being a medic nets you about a bajillion times more XP than being a soldier

You can kills mans without a K/D Ratio showing. Having a KD ratio also wont net you more XP. I can agree that kills could use an XP buff, but a K/D ratio on a game like this...just no, that would be like having a K/D ratio on Left 4 Dead.

there can easily exist a K/D/stat whatever showing

put it into TF2 terms

XP is just points. you get XP for doing random stuff, just like you do in TF2 (pushing the cart, capturing a point, etc etc).

K/D, in my opinion, is a defensive tool. if i see somebody sitting with a hugely disproportionate K/D, and i notice them killing half the team while we're trying to accomplish something, wouldn't it be worthwhile to ops it up and shoot that dude in the face with a shotgun? repeatedly?

also, it's not going to skew anything... medics will still be on top because they gain the most XP (could draw a comparison to how medic's often sit ontop of a TF2 match, as well).

it's a very relevant statistic to those of us who like to know how we are individually doing in comparison to everybody else. (and for the reasons i stated above)

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Campaign must have FF off, because I slid into so many of my own teammates on the server today.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://www.justin.tv/brinktv#/w/1189171808/3

Not sure if this has been posted - Quake Live TV guys are doing a Brink TV stream. Good quality and they have good commentators.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I want to be a Heavy Engineer, turret specialist with a chaingun while I blast Lifeseeker - Gone Guru through my headphones.

o/~Weeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllll! He ain't my boy, but the brother is heavy...o/~

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    edited May 2011

put it into TF2 terms

XP is just points. you get XP for doing random stuff, just like you do in TF2 (pushing the cart, capturing a point, etc etc).

K/D, in my opinion, is a defensive tool. if i see somebody sitting with a hugely disproportionate K/D, and i notice them killing half the team while we're trying to accomplish something, wouldn't it be worthwhile to ops it up and shoot that dude in the face with a shotgun? repeatedly?

also, it's not going to skew anything... medics will still be on top because they gain the most XP (could draw a comparison to how medic's often sit ontop of a TF2 match, as well).

it's a very relevant statistic to those of us who like to know how we are individually doing in comparison to everybody else. (and for the reasons i stated above)

See my post on the last page as to why having a K/D ratio visible would be a bad idea. Basically, it encourages the wrong type of competition. The game stops being about completing objectives and begins to revolve around not dying.

DrDinosaur on
    edited May 2011
    Wow, so far I'd have to say the hardest mission is:
    Resistance trying to rescue Necheyev or whatever his name is...chokepoints aplenty and like 4 separate objectives. yeesh.

mr_mich on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Okay so, I kind of like this pretty well a lot.

It's definitely trying waaaay too hard at points, but it's quite fun. I do wish I'd been able to get on one of the PA servers though, it seems like it would benefit a ton from good team play. The one time I was the carrier for an objective and there was a medic/engy team keeping me alive with buffs felt incredibly awesome.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Loving this game, glad I bought it on the PC.

Had to remap some keys so that I could actually pull up the objective wheel, also swapped my melee and misc action keys.

Really wish there was a really basic tutorial for showing you all the moves / abilities to use, I spent so much time just figuring out how to chuck grenades and sprint and melee etc. (I havent played a PC shooter much since the original HL CounterStrike mod, and a very small amount of BF2 / TF2).

I admit the single player campaign isnt super amazing, but it provides some good context for the multiplayer, and the storyline is fairly interesting.

I love that the classes arent locked to weapons, you can be a heavy operative or a light soldier if you want and use the chaingun as an operative or be restricted to SMG / pistols as a soldier.

Teamwork is especially important, getting a soldier to buff ammo, engineer to buff armor and damage, and a medic to buff health, then having the right classes to complete the objective.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The thing I like most about the "story" missions is the way they're portrayed from each side.

Like the mission where the Security is escorting a robot through the container town.

If you're on Security, your dispatch is telling you that you're stealing a biological weapon so that a vaccine can be made.

If you're on Resistance, your dispatch tells you that Security is there trying to steal a new vaccine for the illness that's been spreading on the Ark.

Maddoc on
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Squeezed in some time for this tonight, had a tag team of medics going on with a random guy for a while. Every time I died he had me ressed and if he died I had him. We kicked so much ass that I actually ran out of ammo on both my guns cause no soldiers were around!

RawrBear on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

put it into TF2 terms

A K/D display in this game would be poison.

It is not about killing mans. Yes, you will kill some mans. And yes, some mans will kill you. But that's not what this game is about at its core. Killing mans is just something that occurs naturally, organically, while you are making your way to the meaty heart of this chestnut.

With a K/D board, people start to focus on that. What's my K/D right now? Shit, I'm doing terribly. XP? Who cares. People like to see blood, and blood comes from kiiiills. If I have a high K/D ratio, I'm doing well, and everyone on this server will see that I'm doing well.

Maybe a player tries to focus on objectives and doing what is best for the team. Nine times out of ten, that doesn't result in a great K/D. Some of those players will then stop doing what is best for the team in favour of what is best for his ratio.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My opinion is still on the fence after having played a few hours of the Xbox 360 version. It's not really grabbing me that much - the way it feels, the layout and balance of the maps, the interface, the lack of a lobby system and rank restrictions that make it difficult to play with friends, and my goodness the way it looks are a bit demoralizing. It's a very blurry game with a lot of slow texture load-in, textures constantly unloading when you're looking elsewhere, and heavy aliasing. I haven't had much luck getting a good online versus game going, either, because of lag issues. It seems like the PC version is the way to go if you're still considering buying it.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd like to get into the story for this game but since multiplayer takes the levels and presents them all out of order and people vote to skip the cutscenes anyway... yeah.

DarkPrimus on
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That first challenge is impossible on the 2 star level.

"Let's have an objective directly outside the enemy spawn, then let the enemies have the ability to kill without needing to step out of their spawn. Oh, and the allies can make puddles of drool in the corner."

I've put down the entire team with the Maximus (LMG) and watched as they stop gasping for life only to run back around the corner the next second.

I went from level 2 to level 8 on that single challenge and I still can't get past the hack objective.

EDIT: yeah, as far as the story and cutscenes go, I think I'll do them on solo, in order, just to see them.

Man of the Waves on
This discussion has been closed.