As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yo Momma So U[Glee] She...

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just got a kick out of how they never showed an actual class at the Dalton Academy. Apparently it's just a bunch of guys in fabulous suits wandering the halls breaking out into spontaneous song.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I just got a kick out of how they never showed an actual class at the Dalton Academy. Apparently it's just a bunch of guys in fabulous suits wandering the halls breaking out into spontaneous song.

That sounds so awesome.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I went to an all male high school, and that's pretty much how it was.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2011
    My high school was like that. You couldn't walk three feet without a bunch of people breaking into song.

Wait, no, not songs. What's that other thing? Oh, yeah. Gang fights.

Which is kinda the same thing, if you live in West Side Story.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    But did you have slushies?

That's what I most covet in their portrayal of high school.

And yeah, I thought the Paltrow songs were dull and it was a really weird vehicle to give her a solo every episode.I shall hate on her. I may even playa hate if I feel spunky.

chaosisorder on
  • Options
    ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    devCharles wrote: »
    Honestly, I didn't particularly like the episode or songs they used. I'm a little sad to see the Warblers go to be honest, as I really liked their more understated approach to Glee performances.

They recently put on sale a Glee CD of Warbler tracks...
    there's two more songs left yet to air.

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I thought the message of the show was sort of schizophrenic, what with "Let's all find something we dislike about ourselves and embrace it! ...except you, Pillsbury, because you're broken and need to fix it."

Eh. When that thing you're supposed to embrace consumes your life to the extent that a 50 minute psych appointment is 48 minutes of cleaning, I think there's legitimate grounds for saying that you have a problem.

I liked the episode because it was a little more nuanced than "you should accept yourself no matter what."

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Absolutely perfect Glee episode!

Great lines, serious plot advancements, perfect song selections, character development and depth. I couldn't be happier. I think Quinn is officially my favorite character, she simply makes the most sense and seems both realistic and likable.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Glee is a big secret of mine. I can't tell anyone I watch it >.<

I have to say I love Glee, but my least favorite character is Kurt. I really enjoy him during most of the show, but I can't stand his voice. I actually had to mute this most recent show during his song because it just makes me cringe. I just don't think he can sing very well
    and I was hoping he would get phased out while he was in the warblers (he kinda did vocally at least).

Before anyone says this, it's not a matter of being homophobic because one of my favorite characters is Blaine.

Also I need more Rachel solos like from the first season.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I have to say I love Glee, but my least favorite character is Kurt. I really enjoy him during most of the show, but I can't stand his voice. I actually had to mute this most recent show during his song because it just makes me cringe. I just don't think he can sing very well
    and I was hoping he would get phased out while he was in the warblers (he kinda did vocally at least).

Before anyone says this, it's not a matter of being homophobic because one of my favorite characters is Blaine.

Also I need more Rachel solos like from the first season.

I'm apathetic on his actual singing, but I agree. It's just so frustrating on some other forums, not caring for his character (and/or character arc) is synonymous with being a raging homophobe.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    We had a body image episode that was very similar to this in season 1.

Why?

devCharles on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anyone else remember Emma's OCD getting better earlier this season?

And anyone else bothered by Will trying to force unwashed fruit on Emma?

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For some reason, I actually didn't mind Kurt's singing this episode. I normally don't like the character...same with Mercedes. The show's writers don't seem to care for Mercedes anymore since I think she's been in only one or two storylines so far this season.

I'm going through this anti-stereotype phase right now where it absolutely bugs me where shows like this perpetuate the stereotype that all gay guys are perfectly groomed, snappy dressers, effeminate to some degree and are well versed in the liberal arts. And all black women are overweight, sassy, divas.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was honestly a little bothered by the unwashed fruit thing too, but that's sort of explainable if the writers knew the audience would respond uncomfortably, showing that even good ol' Will didn't know how to handle these sorts of situations - lending a more solid foundation for (spoiler about end of episode plot, to be on the safe side)
    the therapist later in the episode.

Also I actually kind of like Kurt's singing. The lead singer of the Warblers is kind of who annoys me, and I'm glad to see that he's probably gonna get a smaller role.

The Unpretty / I Feel Pretty scene was unbelievably gorgeous. Excellent, excellent singing, acting, all around performance. And who doesn't like seeing close-ups of Quinn?

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    [QUOTE=VoodooV;19109524
    I'm going through this anti-stereotype phase right now where it absolutely bugs me where shows like this perpetuate the stereotype that all gay guys are perfectly groomed, snappy dressers, effeminate to some degree and are well versed in the liberal arts. And all black women are overweight, sassy, divas.[/QUOTE]

As evil of a character Karovsky is, I hope they take the chance to develop him further. That ignorance and hate can be reformed, and that being gay isn't just about being a stereotype. Even though he's being blackmailed by Santana, this could be a really awesome opportunity to advance the plot and character development of the whole cast.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    ErodeErode Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Diorinix wrote: »

As evil of a character Karovsky is, I hope they take the chance to develop him further. That ignorance and hate can be reformed, and that being gay isn't just about being a stereotype. Even though he's being blackmailed by Santana, this could be a really awesome opportunity to advance the plot and character development of the whole cast.

Based on that statement alone, I'm willing to bet that we'll never see it happen.

Erode on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Erode wrote: »
    Diorinix wrote: »

Based on that statement alone, I'm willing to bet that we'll never see it happen.

My money is still on Karofsky killing himself before the season ends.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2011
    Dac wrote: »
    I thought the message of the show was sort of schizophrenic, what with "Let's all find something we dislike about ourselves and embrace it! ...except you, Pillsbury, because you're broken and need to fix it."

Eh. When that thing you're supposed to embrace consumes your life to the extent that a 50 minute psych appointment is 48 minutes of cleaning, I think there's legitimate grounds for saying that you have a problem.

I liked the episode because it was a little more nuanced than "you should accept yourself no matter what."

I like nuance, but it seemed more like the episode didn't realize there was even a discrepancy there. I mean, I agree that Emma shouldn't be embracing a delibitating mental disorder, but her thing just seemed at odds with the point of the Weekly Exercise. Honestly, her ginger-thing was a better fit, since it IS something that can get kids picked on and it IS something that should be embraced rather than avoided.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't think anyone has a problem embracing female gingers.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dac wrote: »

I like nuance, but it seemed more like the episode didn't realize there was even a discrepancy there. I mean, I agree that Emma shouldn't be embracing a delibitating mental disorder, but her thing just seemed at odds with the point of the Weekly Exercise. Honestly, her ginger-thing was a better fit, since it IS something that can get kids picked on and it IS something that should be embraced rather than avoided.

That seemed like the point to me. They could have addressed her issues on any random episode, instead they chose specifically to do it while simultaneously discussing self-acceptance. To me it seemed perfectly reasonable: her disease does not define her and until she recognized that she would never be able to accept the *real* her (who she's probably never even met yet).

I, for one, envision her getting better in therapy and fleeing to Vegas to become a Showgirl.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So the commercial for the itgetsbetterproject was quite possibly one of the most moving I've ever seen. I knew about Dan Savage and the project, but that was a really well put together commercial.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My wife got really teary during that commercial too.

As for the episode, it was par for the course these days. When I can suppress my rage at the hamfisted "after school special" moments, I really enjoy the show. And the placenta margaritas were hilarious.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    See, I thought the Sam stuff was neat and the Sue shit was retarded. I just went back and watched the first five episodes of Glee, and man has the show kind of imploded on itself. It's like, you can literally see the moments where it gets too big for its britches and then starts slamming its salami down over and over and over again on the table going, "Look at what a fat dong I have."

The pilot of Glee is very much a show that I enjoy. It's a shame the rest of the series doesn't really live up to the pilot's potential. I still watch it occasionally because it's on when I'm at the gym, but it's not a must see for me anymore.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What's crazy is that the show started going off the rails in the second episode.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So is this most recent episode worth watching? I've got finals, so I can only watch so much tv.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So is this most recent episode worth watching? I've got finals, so I can only watch so much tv.

The answer to that question is the same answer to this one.

Do you like Fleetwood Mac?

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought the first season of Glee was, for the most part, very watchable. There was a feeling that the characters were actually going somewhere. They had arcs.

Season 2, though, has had characters all over the place, changing them to satisfy the demands of the plot in any particular episode. Rachel's character is the most visible example, varying from soul-gratingly annoying, vapid, and completely self-absorbed to the point of sabotaging other Glee club members or outright INSULTING them in one episode, to being level-headed and understanding the next, giving sage advice while trying to pull everyone together in the next.

Everyone's quirks are so overblown that it's cartoonish; and yes, admittedly Glee was always a bit cartoonish, but not so much that its serious scenes were comical by contrast. On that subject, Sue Sylvester's character is now so forcibly eccentric in every episode that it is no longer possible to take her seriously. Since she is supposed to be the series' 'villain' - the series apparently having given up trying to make her sympathetic - not being taken seriously by the audience is a Very Bad Thing.

Karofsky is probably the character I want to see more of the most. He might be a gay-self-hating Neanderthal, but at least he was consistent and believable. My personal number two is Brittany - though Brittany letting Santana walk all over her is getting aggravating. She needs to call Santana out on being a coward, like now, and force the confrontation.

And less Schuster, please. A lot of the fun of season 1 was the innumerable casual teardowns Sue handed this asshole's overinflated ego and naivety. The best part about him was the glimmer that his 'best friend teacher/camp counselor' personality was just an act, one to cover up his own regrets about his life. Remember Acafellas? Probably the most I've ever liked him - because he acted like an actual human being.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, I don't know if anyone else posted this here, but it appears a certain Rebecca Black song is in Glee's future: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmpkJHqyKSg

It's certainly something.

Toothy on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We so excited.

I think Artie was better than her rapper, at least.

Interesting to have Jesse back. I would like them to write most of the cast out and just have the Jesse and Blaine show.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why the hell would the Principal even read Kurt's name?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Why the hell would the Principal even read Kurt's name?

Or not know the result ahead of time?

silence1186 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Honestly, seeing a bunch of teenagers inexplicably knowing a bunch of Fleetwood Mac songs is probably the most inexplicable thing I've seen yet on this show.

devCharles on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blaine sang one of my favourite songs. So, that balanced out them singing Friday. Tonight's ep was actually okay.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Honestly, seeing a bunch of teenagers inexplicably knowing a bunch of Fleetwood Mac songs is probably the most inexplicable thing I've seen yet on this show.

Most of them are all interested in music so no it's not in anyway inexplicable.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    ErodeErode Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I actually liked the "Friday" cover. I never heard the song before Glee though, and Puck is awesome at everything, so that may have something to do with it.

Erode on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Erode wrote: »
    I actually liked the "Friday" cover. I never heard the song before Glee though, and Puck is awesome at everything, so that may have something to do with it.

I also really liked the Friday cover.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

That's completely counter to my entire experience with people in high school, even really musical people. I can see Finn, who is kind of a classic rock junkie, getting into it, but being interested in music and being down with Fleetwood Mac with a bunch of high schoolers in a Glee club? Yeah, it was kind of a weird band specific theme choice compared to Madonna, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, and even KISS.

I wonder when they're going to do a Beatles episode.
    Blaine sang one of my favourite songs.

Same. That's my favorite part about bringing in Blaine and the actor that plays Blaine. He's a solid rock singer.

devCharles on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

That's completely counter to my entire experience with people in high school, even really musical people. I can see Finn, who is kind of a classic rock junkie, getting into it, but being interested in music and being down with Fleetwood Mac with a bunch of high schoolers in a Glee club? Yeah, it was kind of a weird band specific theme choice compared to Madonna, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, and even KISS.

I wonder when they're going to do a Beatles episode.
    Blaine sang one of my favourite songs.

Same. That's my favorite part about bringing in Blaine and the actor that plays Blaine. He's a solid rock singer.

I assume Stevie Nicks had something to do with it. As for the Beetles they did do Blackbird so it's I guess theoretically possible.

Blaine is a great addition to the cast. He has a very powerful voice and really knocks songs out of the park.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, Blaine's the best new edition, and I want him to stay as a regular cast member. But at the same time, if things really do end with Karofsky going loco, Blaine seems like the guy they'd knock off for effect.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blaine and the acapella songs are what made them dedicating a significant portion to all kurt all the time tolerable this season

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png