As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Western Animation thread

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Eight more weeks of no Wakfu.
    This is slightly depressing. :(

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just want to mention that for the past two days, I have not been able to get this theme song all the way out of my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbHLEOg5RPo

And I've learned that I can actually watch the show on Teletoon West at a time later than "before noon" on Sunday, so I may just tune in.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'll dissent on Superjail. The animation in season 1 was kind of crappy in a not charming way. The episodes started getting monotonous until the finale. I think season 2 is a superior show in every way. I'm loving the hectic, story-driven scripts and the cleaner animation.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I'm surprised that tonights Regular Show got away with about half the stuff it did.

Why, what happened?

Bunch of zombies with their brains and stuff hanging out and a lot of innuendo. It was awesome. They even killed a whole lot of zombies with sports equipment and crashed a golf cart into a big one.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Supposedly we're getting new episodes of Young Justice starting June 3. Man, I hope this deadline holds for once.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That episode of Regular Show was fucking boss. Better than it had to be.

Err... As much as I respect The Ponies, the Hypocrisy both here and neogaf concerning said ponies and said a certian genre's issues and problems... is just lulzful and ironic.

As for Loony Toons show... Hmm. I give it five episodes or CN is in big trouble.

Novid on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Novid wrote: »
    Err... As much as I respect The Ponies, the Hypocrisy both here and neogaf concerning said ponies and said a certian genre's issues and problems... is just lulzful and ironic.
    What hypocrisy? Any issues those threads have with anything is mainly because those are the kinds of things mods/anyone is looking for to get those threads shut down.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't like this gumball show. It's just...boring.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

A little bit, at least the first episode. But the animation is wonderful.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I stopped watching Adventure Time quite a while ago. I wanted to like it. It seemed like a show I WOULD like. I like humor, wackiness, and, of course, adventure. But somehow . . . it just didn't engage me. I'd watch an episode, but in the back of my mind I'd be thinking about something else or wishing it was over already.

On the other hand, I've regained interest in Transformers Prime. Although whenever Starscream and Evil-Decepticon-Medic leaned in to negotiate about him being second in command or whatnot, I couldn't shake the feeling that they were seconds away from smooching. Way to use make-out cam there, guys.

LadyM on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So guys, the new Darkwing Duck comic is pretty great. Funny moments, returning characters, many cameos from other Disney Afternoon characters....and most surprising of all, very touching.

This panel alone is just plain depressing.
    im84n8.jpg

But the penultimate moment of manly tears occurs at issue 4...
    rkrf45.jpg

Seriously D'aaaawww.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I'm gonna give a few more episodes, because I like the animation and the character designs.

Also, I've been reading that Darkwing Duck comic series since it started and it is indeed awesome. Love the story arc where they have to fight alternate versions of Darkwing.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ninjabear wrote: »

I'm gonna give a few more episodes, because I like the animation and the character designs.

Also, I've been reading that Darkwing Duck comic series since it started and it is indeed awesome. Love the story arc where they have to fight alternate versions of Darkwing.

I take it that they wound up fighting Darkwarrior as part of that?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That Darkwing Duck art is way too realistic for my taste (at weird as it sounds).

Kyougu on
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The ending of the latest episode of Adventure Time (the Marceline one) was great.

Can't wait for season 3. Somewhat glad I only have to wait for little less then a month, if June 6th is the correct date. But still. :(

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dang, I've forgotten how great the Regular Show is.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't get into Adventure Show because of how they changed the art style from the pilot.

I dunno, the pitch episode gave off a more innocent, younger feel. Now it's too over-the-top and loud, but that's just me.

Godfather on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ninjabear wrote: »

I take it that they wound up fighting Darkwarrior as part of that?

Yes.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did they every explain negaduck's origins? I remember the episode where megavolt split darkwing in two but they put him back together at the end. They called the evil version negaduck but that dosent really explain the guy in yellow running around. It seems like he just kinda showed up afterwards.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Did they every explain negaduck's origins? I remember the episode where megavolt split darkwing in two but they put him back together at the end. They called the evil version negaduck but that dosent really explain the guy in yellow running around. It seems like he just kinda showed up afterwards.

Initially the yellow Negaduck did just kinda show up (probably because they liked the "evil Darkwing" concept but didn't want to bother with the whole personality splitter again), though later they did an episode explaining that he came from a world where the good guys were bad guys and vice versa. Darkwing went there, and I remember badass biker Launchpad, Gosalyn and Honker were hilarious.

Goddamn I wish the rest of the series was out on DVD already.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Initially the yellow Negaduck did just kinda show up (probably because they liked the "evil Darkwing" concept but didn't want to bother with the whole personality splitter again), though later they did an episode explaining that he came from a world where the good guys were bad guys and vice versa. Darkwing went there, and I remember badass biker Launchpad, Gosalyn and Honker were hilarious.

funnier were Honker's family who were having a satanic BBQ as I recall.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Angry Video Game Nerd and some of his friends made every pizza mentioned by Michaelangelo in the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series and had a taste test. The video I've linked to has both clips from the show in which the turtles will eat something along the lines of a "guacamole and clam sauce pizza with extra pickles" and clips of the taste test.

Michaelangelo is a Party Dude With a Genuinely Evil Taste in Pizzas

You guys should seriously watch this; some of these pizzas are hilariously revolting. I'm at the part right now where they're preparing the sardine, chili pepper, and whip cream pizza.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They live in a sewer

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

funnier were Honker's family who were having a satanic BBQ as I recall.

It's kind of ironic how despite being older, now is the time when I can't stop snickering at the name "Honker". :?

Also, as was mentioned before, I believe the writers admitted that they wanted to make Negaduck a regular character, and decided to just come up with a new origin for him, continuity be damned.

I still continue to wonder for the reason Launchpad stopped working for Scrooge. His previous statements suggested he was fired, so I'm wondering what he could have done to break Scrooge's years of leniency.
    I also found it hilarious for the reason DW let Launchpad go in the comic

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I saw the first trade paperback volume of Darkwing Duck at Barnes & Noble, might pick it up this week.

Edit: Huh, didn't realize they already released the second tpb volume as well. And it's only 8 bucks and change over on Amazon.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's well worth it, and brings to mind those comics found in old Disney magazines they used to have in grocery stores (or is that still going?). You get a lot of content for the small amount of cash you're putting up. If you used to watch the DW cartoon, this is a no-brainer, and goes well beyond mere nostalgia.

Heck, I'm hoping Disney considers making an actual animated series out of it.

Also surprised that Megavolt actually used the word "crappy". I've heard it a couple of times in children's cartoons, but I've always considered that a swear. The logic I always used was "if they don't say it in Sesame Street, then it ain't okay".

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I still continue to wonder for the reason Launchpad stopped working for Scrooge. His previous statements suggested he was fired, so I'm wondering what he could have done to break Scrooge's years of leniency.

I prefer to think of DuckTales as happening after Launchpad's adventures with Darkwing Duck.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I prefer to think of DuckTales as happening after Launchpad's adventures with Darkwing Duck.

Except it's been explicitly stated that it's after. Best evidence is Gizmoduck's debut appearance.

"Fenton and I used to work for the same guy!"

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    LadyM wrote: »
    On the other hand, I've regained interest in Transformers Prime. Although whenever Starscream and Evil-Decepticon-Medic leaned in to negotiate about him being second in command or whatnot, I couldn't shake the feeling that they were seconds away from smooching. Way to use make-out cam there, guys.

the medic is named Knockout

here is a quote that sums him up real nice
    Knockout wrote:
    I'm not just an automobile, I'm an automobile enthusiast.

so yeah, gay decepticon medic

Antimatter on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    The Angry Video Game Nerd and some of his friends made every pizza mentioned by Michaelangelo in the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series and had a taste test. The video I've linked to has both clips from the show in which the turtles will eat something along the lines of a "guacamole and clam sauce pizza with extra pickles" and clips of the taste test.

Michaelangelo is a Party Dude With a Genuinely Evil Taste in Pizzas

You guys should seriously watch this; some of these pizzas are hilariously revolting. I'm at the part right now where they're preparing the sardine, chili pepper, and whip cream pizza.

Marshmallow and pepperoni really is decent. Reminded me of chocolate when I had it as a kid.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Except it's been explicitly stated that it's after. Best evidence is Gizmoduck's debut appearance.

There's also the new Rescue Rangers comic out, which is also pretty good so far.

Matthew on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Matthew wrote: »

There's also the new Rescue Rangers comic out, which is also pretty good so far.

I've been meaning to check that out as well.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I recall the dude who had a thing for Gadget and I SHUDDER.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I recall the dude who had a thing for Gadget and I SHUDDER.

One of the first things I ever saw on the internet was Tiny Toons erotic fanart.

I still don't know why the hell I came back after that.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hope they release big collections of all these Disney comics you guys are mentioning. I just don't have the foresight to go to a comic shop every (week? month? I don't even know)

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    order them from the internetz

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Alices past revealed in super jail. That was something.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Am I the only one that doesn't like Super Jail's jump in quality? I guess it's in HD now and it looks (to me anyway) cleaner, smoother... and I don't like it. I preferred it the old ways cause it seemed like something I would see at the old Spike and Mike's Sick and Twisted Animation Festival.

Also, I heard about the Darkwing comics, and now that there are 2 tpbs, I should pick them up. Heck, the debut arc was called "The Duck Knight Returns".

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nocren wrote: »
    Am I the only one that doesn't like Super Jail's jump in quality? I guess it's in HD now and it looks (to me anyway) cleaner, smoother... and I don't like it. I preferred it the old ways cause it seemed like something I would see at the old Spike and Mike's Sick and Twisted Animation Festival.

Nope, you're not the only one. In fact that feeling's been echoed multiple times in this thread already.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Nocren wrote: »

Also, I heard about the Darkwing comics, and now that there are 2 tpbs, I should pick them up. Heck, the debut arc was called "The Duck Knight Returns".

Anyone who dislikes these books are either horrible monsters or were born after 1991.

Buy them. Do it.

This discussion has been closed.