As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stargate Universe: Getting good just as it ends (Spoilers Ahoy)

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    I'm going with eventual happy ending.
    As I'm sure everyone is.

Still doesn't mean I wouldn't like to punch the guy at SyFy responsible for cancelling this while still managing to have the gall to greenlight another season of Sanctuary.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The way I saw it, Eli knew that they wouldn't be able to fix it.
    So he sacrificed himself because he wanted for once to be the hero, to be the one shouldering everyone's burdens.

Just look at his face in the end.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No, he fixed it and everything was all right!

I CAN'T HEAR YOU IF I STICK MY FINGERS IN MY EARS

LALALALALALALALALALALALALA

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    As I'm sure everyone is.

Still doesn't mean I wouldn't like to punch the guy at SyFy responsible for cancelling this while still managing to have the gall to greenlight another season of Sanctuary.

Nah, let's keep Sanctuary and actually be pissed that we got Quantam Kitchen, Ghost Hunters, and all the other upcoming reality shows. I like Sanctuary. And honestly, I'd rather there be a scripted show on that I don't care for, than another reality show. A scripted show has a much higher chance of one day grabbing me and making me buy all the previous seasons on DVD and watching all of them as fast as I can to get caught up with the current season as it airs, as my wife and I did with SG:1 almost 10 years ago.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I still say more Sanctuary isn't a good thing if we don't get more SGU as compensation.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    The way I saw it, Eli knew that they wouldn't be able to fix it.
    So he sacrificed himself because he wanted for once to be the hero, to be the one shouldering everyone's burdens.

Just look at his face in the end.

I am choosing to reject your answer for two reasons.

1) Eli is too badass to die.

2) The show was supposed to go on another season, it would be a bit grimdark even for SGU to load in to a corpse of Eli.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    What is this Quantum... Kitchen?

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think the reason they keep renewing Sanctuary is because it's very cheap to produce.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Besides absolute crap?

Granted, I've only watched a few episodes, but it seems terrible. It's got one of the contestants from Top Chef (Marcel?) running a catering business making odd food with science (or as they say "Molecular Gastronomy"). People in the kitchen bitch that they don't have time, their customers bitch because they used the wrong shape plates and at that point I change the channel because this isn't sci-fi this is a god damned cooking show that should be on one of the three or four networks dedicated to god damned cooking shows.
    wikipedia wrote:
    Marcel's Quantum Kitchen is an American television program broadcast by the SyFy channel. The first episode premiered on March 22, 2011 at 10 pm EST. The series follows Marcel Vigneron of Top Chef fame in his new molecular gastronomy catering company, where each episode features the development of unique dishes for a client's event and the event itself. In the creation of dishes, Vigneron draws inspiration from the client and the purpose of the event which has resulted in dishes such as a hash brown bird's nest with tomato foam egg and liquor-filled bonbon engagement rings in a passionfruit marshmallow pillow box.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I have to agree with you.

That does not belong on a sci-fi (I wish) channel.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, exactly. I lay some blame on channel drift as another part of why we're losing SG:U as opposed to blaming other scripted shows.

Maybe one day we'll get a novel or something to wrap up the show. Even if we don't, I'm thankful for what we did get and I'll finish up the story in my head or something.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As I'm sure everyone is.

I'm going with: Eli restored Gan (?) for a quick conjugal visit before stasis, so they dropped out early. Thus, they will wake up in a thousand years, when the show is picked up again.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    As I'm sure everyone is.
    I'm going with: Eli restored Gan (?) for a quick conjugal visit before stasis, so they dropped out early. Thus, they will wake up in a thousand years, when the show is picked up again.

Seems like the most likely outcome would have something to do with Destiny being able to store human consciousness on it's hard drive.
    I'm going with: 3 years later, the crew wake up see Eli's pod still empty. Everyone is sad as Young explains what happened at the end. They hold a funeral for Eli, everyone takes turns saying nice things, Rush admits that Eli's idea worked out and likely saved them all.
    Then Eli, Ginn and the other ghost in the machine show up as holograms, turns out Eli was able to fix that a lot easier then he would have been able to fix the stasis pod...

Then they gate to a planet where bodies grow on trees allowing them to put all three back into real bodies. And the fandom hates the show for reverting to even stupider Deus Ex Machinas then the original series did.

Can still hope they put out some novels to give some closure to the story though. That'd probably be the cheapest way to wrap the series up anyway.

see317 on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They need to bring SyFy back to it's roots.

More pro-wrestling!

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think they have the same amount as always don't they? It's just on Friday nights now.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well that was spectacular. I loved Rush being compared to a crazy uncle, Eli's knowing smile at the the end...

:(

Maaan, maybe it'll take three years IRL before Syfy realise how much they suck.
    They need to bring SyFy back to it's roots.

More pro-wrestling!
    "MOAR WRASTLIN! TARGET DEMOGRAPHIC WILL ALSO LIKE MONSTER TRUCKS AND TELEVISED POKER! HUR HUR HURF. EXEC SMART. DURF." Exec then renames channel again to SoyFly.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Well that was spectacular. I loved Rush being compared to a crazy uncle, Eli's knowing smile at the the end...

:(

Maaan, maybe it'll take three years IRL before Syfy realise how much they suck.

If they haven't realized it yet, they never will.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Just realized why they couldn't use the stones:

Doesn't work while ship is in FTL-flight.

Regarding Sy-Fy:

Is it really that hard to have ONE channel dedicated to just sci-fi?

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just realized why they couldn't use the stones:

Doesn't work while ship is in FTL-flight.

Yes they do, they stop a little while during the transition, but otherwise functional.

I think the real reason was shared earlier. It would be an insult to the whole show to end with Deux Ex Carter-a.

As an aside, as people were saying earlier, I enjoyed the finale. For the hype of a cliffhanger that would leave us angry and sad, it was actually probably as good as we'd have gotten if they had known they were cancelled.

Delmain on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I just rewatched it. Honestly this was as good as we were going to get, and out of all the Stargate series' that we've had, this felt like the best ending we've gotten (except "Close Enough" in Moebius of course). At this point, I actually hope we don't get anything else Stargate. We managed to go out on a high note, with a decent if not amazingly conclusive ending that managed to salvage an awful first 1.5 seasons. Much like Lost when it ended, I'm content with how things were left.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, the endings for SG-1 and Atlantis were really terrible by comparison. SG-1 didn't really resolve anything, and Atlantis basically left the entire Pegasus galaxy completely abandoned to the Wrath. I guess Universe had a more satisfying ending on account of the fact that they weren't intending to finish the story off with a movie.

TJ? As soon as they have a functioning supply line, they can send in some Tretonin. Boom, problem solved. There's no reason that ALS has to be cured on the Destiny itself.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You know, I just realized something.

Why hasn't anyone ever cloned an Ancient?

The Asgard tried experiments on O Neill to see if he could handle an Asgard intelligence. Surely, cloning a Ancient would be more logical?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Were the human-form Ancients that they've run into particularly special, physiologically speaking? Sure they were pretty advanced technologically, but at that point I thought they were pretty normal until the last 10,000 years where they began to ascended. I think they would need to find someone who was on the path to ascension for it to be of any value, right?

Kronus on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    see317 wrote: »

Besides absolute crap?

Granted, I've only watched a few episodes, but it seems terrible. It's got one of the contestants from Top Chef (Marcel?) running a catering business making odd food with science (or as they say "Molecular Gastronomy"). People in the kitchen bitch that they don't have time, their customers bitch because they used the wrong shape plates and at that point I change the channel because this isn't sci-fi this is a god damned cooking show that should be on one of the three or four networks dedicated to god damned cooking shows.
    wikipedia wrote:
    Marcel's Quantum Kitchen is an American television program broadcast by the SyFy channel. The first episode premiered on March 22, 2011 at 10 pm EST. The series follows Marcel Vigneron of Top Chef fame in his new molecular gastronomy catering company, where each episode features the development of unique dishes for a client's event and the event itself. In the creation of dishes, Vigneron draws inspiration from the client and the purpose of the event which has resulted in dishes such as a hash brown bird's nest with tomato foam egg and liquor-filled bonbon engagement rings in a passionfruit marshmallow pillow box.

Yeah the initial commercials for this made it seem like something that might be fun to watch but the science is few and far between the giant crapfest that is the catering drama soap opera.

Only took me one episode of listening to Marcel blame one of the other people for messing up and 2 minutes of theoretically neat but honestly quite disgusting 'lets vaccum seal the juice into this fruit to make melon taste like salmon!' to decide the show was crap and was on the wrong channel.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If we were going to get another season, I just had this funny feeling that it wasn't going to be three years later. It was going to be more like 1000.

Which would have been totally awesome

Al_wat on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Al_wat wrote: »
    If we were going to get another season, I just had this funny feeling that it wasn't going to be three years later. It was going to be more like 1000.

Which would have been totally awesome

I doubt that long.

Earth has all asgard and ancient knowledge, all it needs to do is figure out how to make ZPMs and it could chain a couple together to hit Destiny.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    There's also the fact that there's no way that the stasis pods would ever be able to survive 1000 years without a refuel.

Anyway, the idea that the idea that the drones are guarding every suitable star in the galaxy is rather silly. There are BILLIONS of stars in a galaxy. Even if 1% are usable, that still leaves tens of millions of stars.

The logical thing would be to put 90% of the crew in stasis to stretch out the food supply for a months, then use your repair bots to repair FTL and power. Then you refuel, and leave.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wait a second...

The crew still has canned goods?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wait a second...

The crew still has canned goods?

From a Novus and that other human planet that was deserted.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh.

Right.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There's also the fact that there's no way that the stasis pods would ever be able to survive 1000 years without a refuel.

Anyway, the idea that the idea that the drones are guarding every suitable star in the galaxy is rather silly. There are BILLIONS of stars in a galaxy. Even if 1% are usable, that still leaves tens of millions of stars.

The logical thing would be to put 90% of the crew in stasis to stretch out the food supply for a months, then use your repair bots to repair FTL and power. Then you refuel, and leave.

Every suitable star along Destiny's path. This and the next question (about going off the path) came up during the episode.

MKR on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man.. When I saw it, I was pretty cool with that ending. Sad, but cool. Now, though, the more I think on it, the more I want more =(

Xaviar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    MKR wrote: »

Every suitable star along Destiny's path. This and the next question (about going off the path) came up during the episode.

They dont want to leave the path because the gate seed ships plotted out the best/safest course through each galaxy.

Veering off that path is why they are having issues with drones right now.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's only regarding the best path for planets with gates on them. Since the ship already cut them off from access to Stargates, that's already somewhat irrelevant. And the problem isn't that they veered off the path, it's that they veered off the path to look into some shiny new advanced alien technology.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm still catching up (last finished the episode where Ginn and Amanda are uploaded into Destiny to preserve their consciousnesses) and one thing's confusing me: Didn't they get the ability to pilot destiny once they got Bridge access? or is it a "Let it follow it's path so we can find out what the hell this thing is looking for" situation?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I assume that if the story continued, their descendent's would have revealed that they had the stones. Of course, the stones would only become "active" in the past few years, since prior to that, there wouldn't have been anyone on the other line.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lanz wrote: »
    ...one thing's confusing me: Didn't they get the ability to pilot destiny once they got Bridge access? or is it a "Let it follow it's path so we can find out what the hell this thing is looking for" situation?
    They did. It's the latter. Rush talks about it more in later episodes.
    They can deviate from their course whenever they want, only Rush is concerned that doing so will take them away from the sensor path that would give Destiny's computers the most optimal CMB dataset, as well as being the shortest path between the K-type stars they rely on for hot Deuterium.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mallozzi blogged about where they might have taken Universe, had it gotten a new season, as well as some SG-1 and Atlantis movie talk (of course, those are now possibly unlikely to happen as well, given the state of things at MGM): http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/may-12-2011-stargate-universe-beyond-season-2-what-might-have-been/

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lanz wrote: »
    Mallozzi blogged about where they might have taken Universe, had it gotten a new season, as well as some SG-1 and Atlantis movie talk (of course, those are now possibly unlikely to happen as well, given the state of things at MGM): http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/may-12-2011-stargate-universe-beyond-season-2-what-might-have-been/
    When Destiny comes up short and drops out of FTL hundreds of years from the next galaxy, rescue comes in the form of a branch of our descendants, an advanced military society that has mastered space flight and is now in possession of a massive armada. They save us but their motives turn out to be less than honorable as, it turns out, they have designs on Destiny. This was probably my favorite scenario as I loved the idea of a plausible human military force becoming our third season Big Bad.

If Sci-Fi doesn't do a 180 and make this season 3, they might as well shut the place down. This is exactly the sort of thing that made SG-1 great. A big, but not insurmountable enemy that could be beaten with ingenuity and a little C4.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    MGM only has the cash for more Bond now, they're going to have to churn those out to survive.

Zilla360 on