As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yo Momma So U[Glee] She...

• Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I assume Stevie Nicks had something to do with it.

This doesn't sound surreal to you? Apparently, she wrote one of the episodes? Gas prices rising quick and Stevie Nicks as a force in entertainment. Welcome back 1977.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, Blaine's the best new edition, and I want him to stay as a regular cast member. But at the same time, if things really do end with Karofsky going loco, Blaine seems like the guy they'd knock off for effect.

Well Darren is selling a lot of singles for Glee so I think he's safe.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    devCharles wrote: »
    I assume Stevie Nicks had something to do with it.

This doesn't sound surreal to you? Apparently, she wrote one of the episodes? Gas prices rising quick and Stevie Nicks as a force in entertainment. Welcome back 1977.

Yeah she is pretty heavily involved with Glee. Apparently "Jessie's Girl" was what finally put her on Team Glee™

I overheard some guys the other day say all we needed was the Cowboys back on top and it would be the 70's all over again so your statement was doubly funny.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't help but think
    that "Dancing Queen" was possibly a poor song choice for the dance after Kurt was just treated that way by the other students

Marathon on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "Friday" is the sort of song I can take for exactly 20 seconds. Starting with second #21, the comedic effect and the novelty of a new audio track wear off, and I sit staring at the screen uncomfortably until the performance is over while the shitty lyrics assault my sensibilities. It's kind of like watching some of the more excruciating Michael Scott scenes from The Office; I'm aghast while watching a well-meaning person earnestly make an ass of himself, and I'm powerless on the other side of the fourth wall to stop him from digging himself in any deeper, which he will inevitably do for several more minutes.

Otherwise, it was a pretty good episode.

SammyF on
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Again, we see further character development with Dave Karofsky. I like that they're putting effort into the character, but I am slightly worried what may end up with the internal conflict he's facing.
    Could we see an episode dedicated to suicide?

Extremely relevant to issues of teen homosexuality, but difficult content to deal with.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, Blaine's the best new edition, and I want him to stay as a regular cast member. But at the same time, if things really do end with Karofsky going loco, Blaine seems like the guy they'd knock off for effect.

Well Darren is selling a lot of singles for Glee so I think he's safe.

He could always be gay Tupac.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Diorinix wrote: »
    Again, we see further character development with Dave Karofsky. I like that they're putting effort into the character, but I am slightly worried what may end up with the internal conflict he's facing.
    Could we see an episode dedicated to suicide?

Extremely relevant to issues of teen homosexuality, but difficult content to deal with.

I think seeing Karofsky break down and cry at the realization of what he'd done to a person who refused to resent him and was actively kind in return would have fallen flat for me if I hadn't read a similar story on these forums in the bullying thread of a poster who had been a bully, but one day broke down and cried at the realization of the terrible things he'd done.

Edit: also, Brad Falchuk (or Ryan Murphy, or one of those guys) said:
    There will be a happy ending to Karofsky's arc

silence1186 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think seeing Karofsky break down and cry at the realization of what he'd done to a person who refused to resent him and was actively kind in return would have fallen flat for me if I hadn't read a similar story on these forums in the bullying thread of a poster who had been a bully, but one day broke down and cried at the realization of the terrible things he'd done.

As frequently happens with Glee, unexpected quality acting sold me on a story that I wouldn't have bought into if I'd only read the script and had to take the characters at face value as they're written.

Like, on paper they expect me to believe that the girl who thinks that dolphins are just gay sharks will also frequently offer the most mature and insightful dialog. Somehow Heather Morris holds this contradiction together well enough that I don't immediately change the channel.

SammyF on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Friday still sucks, but at least its easier on the ears with competent singers.

Artie couldn't tell Sue it was lemonade right away?

Next week:
    It's called Funeral, but the previews made it seem like a normal episode. And while I've heard there's a death, I'm wondering if it'll be some sort of twist.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How is it that the same class of kids who pulled an unbelievably cruel prank also ended up applauding their own victim's courage in standing up to them?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    How is it that the same class of kids who pulled an unbelievably cruel prank also ended up applauding their own victim's courage in standing up to them?

Watch the scene again. A great many were only giving the most grudging of claps and had no joy on their faces.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    But why clap at all?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

How is it that the Principal didn't realize Hey wait a minute, I'm not actually a helpless bystander to a cruel adolescent prank, I'm the motherfucking Principal! and just read off the name of the female candidate who received the most votes like she was the actual winner in the first place?

That was the part which challenged my suspension of disbelief most profoundly: the look on Figgins's face while he's reading off the name where he's all, "Hey, kids, I'm sorry that this is going to ruin prom for several of you and that some of you will probably always look back on this experience as one of the most painful indignities you suffered during your adolescence, but what can I do, the people, they have spoken."

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    But why clap at all?

So you have never in your life been in a group situation and clapped for someone you didn't like because you will look like an ass if you don't? Watch the scene again. Most of those were not "yay" claps. They were "grudging" claps

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    But why clap at all?

So you have never in your life been in a group situation and clapped for someone you didn't like because you will look like an ass if you don't? Watch the scene again. Most of those were not "yay" claps. They were "grudging" claps

If I was hateful enough to do that to someone I think I would still be a big enough dick to not clap as well.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Marathon wrote: »
    But why clap at all?

If I was hateful enough to do that to someone I think I would still be a big enough dick to not clap as well.

It's one thing to snub someone it in a secret ballot. It's quite another to do it publicly. Just go to HULU and watch the scene again. It is VERY obvious when you look at the crowd.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    But why clap at all?

It's one thing to snub someone it in a secret ballot. It's quite another to do it publicly. Just go to HULU and watch the scene again. It is VERY obvious when you look at the crowd.

I know it's obvious on the show, im not disputing that. I'm saying that if I were part of a group of people that were hateful enough to organize something like that, something that took the involvement of a significant number of my classmates. I personally feel I would refrain from clapping, because after going to those sort of lengths I would obviously be a horrible enough person not to.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    But why clap at all?

I know it's obvious on the show, im not disputing that. I'm saying that if I were part of a group of people that were hateful enough to organize something like that, something that took the involvement of a significant number of my classmates. I personally feel I would refrain from clapping, because after going to those sort of lengths I would obviously be a horrible enough person not to.

If you did that people would see and know you did it. Very few people are brave/rude enough to do something like that in a crowd.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SammyF wrote: »

How is it that the Principal didn't realize Hey wait a minute, I'm not actually a helpless bystander to a cruel adolescent prank, I'm the motherfucking Principal! and just read off the name of the female candidate who received the most votes like she was the actual winner in the first place?

That was the part which challenged my suspension of disbelief most profoundly: the look on Figgins's face while he's reading off the name where he's all, "Hey, kids, I'm sorry that this is going to ruin prom for several of you and that some of you will probably always look back on this experience as one of the most painful indignities you suffered during your adolescence, but what can I do, the people, they have spoken."

Yeah, that part just bugged the crap out of me. And I first I thought he said Kurt Homo instead of Kurt Hummel so I was extra o_O.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If you did that people would see and know you did it. Very few people are brave/rude enough to do something like that in a crowd.

But the majority of people at the school would already know, because in this fictional scenario I was part of the group organizing the prank. Plus I would probably feel like my classmates would approve of my decision to not clap since they were already on board with a plan to publicly humiliate a fellow classmate because of he was gay.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

But the majority of people at the school would already know, because in this fictional scenario I was part of the group organizing the prank. Plus I would probably feel like my classmates would approve of my decision to not clap since they were already on board with a plan to publicly humiliate a fellow classmate because of he was gay.

Did you listen to Kurt and Blaine's discussion? They explained it. No one at the school wanted to be seen as being anti gay. So they used the secret ballot to get him instead. If they did not clap at all they would stand out in the crowd. Something they did not want to do. When other people like Kurt's friends began applauding the went along with it.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Karofsky crying felt really out of character.

And yes, Figgins doing what he did was really silly.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Did you listen to Kurt and Blaine's discussion? They explained it. No one at the school wanted to be seen as being anti gay. So they used the secret ballot to get him instead. If they did not clap at all they would stand out in the crowd. Something they did not want to do. When other people like Kurt's friends began applauding the went along with it.

I think the failure in communication we're experiencing here is that you misconstrue the criticism which has been offered and reiterated by other viewers to imply that a lot of people didn't understand the dialog or follow the story. That's not the case; the criticism is rather that while the story may be internally consistent, it is not at all consistent with the behavior of actual human beings.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    SammyF wrote: »

I think the failure in communication we're experiencing here is that you misconstrue the criticism which has been offered and reiterated by other viewers to imply that a lot of people didn't understand the dialog or follow the story. That's not the case; the criticism is rather that while the story may be internally consistent, it is not at all consistent with the behavior of actual human beings.
    Except that it is completely consistent with human behavior in this case. It would be far more unusual for the audience not to clap once others had started.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alternative explanation...it's Glee.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really liked Rachel's songs this week; she seems to have really good depth in her lower tones, which is why its a shame that there are so many re-tuned high, long notes most weeks.

I think the most unbuyable character action this week would be Puck trying to be `bad dude' through spiking the punch, and then lining up to chirp out Friday in front of the entire school. Yeah, no inconsistency there.

Gosprey on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Puck, Santana, Karofsky...none of them caught a single whiff of this write-in campaign?

The school paper, digging around for as much dirt as it was (is?), didn't have a clue?

Okay.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ZeroCow wrote: »
    it's Glee.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It just occurred to me, but how often is it that we get to see Finn and Kurt at home being, you know, BROTHERS?

It's like the marriage happened and then they just kinda forgot about it. Or realized that showing such things would undermine the whole "Kurt is away! how sad" vibe they were going for.

Nice to see that Finn is adjusting to the situation and getting comfortable with Kurt's sexuality and outfits. "Dude, that's awesome. It's like gay Braveheart!" made me smile.

Dac on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I do like that he hasn't been nearly as overbearing since they folded him back into the main cast

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ExrielExriel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    I do like that he hasn't been nearly as overbearing since they folded him back into the main cast

Really? I think that's more because the few episodes that have aired since his return have been focusing mostly the Finn/Rachel/Quinn triangle and that he hasn't had an opportunity to be that way. I mean, I like Glee well enough for what it is, but in his return he announced it at the top of an amphitheater while wearing a Top Hat. All I could could do was chuckle and think to myself, "Wow, he is sooooo gay." And more importantly, that's *all* he is. Does he have any interests which fall outside the stereotype of the flamboyant gay man?

To be clear, I like the show, and Kurt is one of the reasons why, but it's getting harder and harder not to notice this kind of stuff as the show goes forward. It's much the same reaction that people were having to that Friday song.

Exriel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kurt's character *is* becoming increasingly dominated by the fact that he's gay, yes. It wasn't so much at the beginning of the series. Sure, he was gay, dressed like the stereotype, and liked dancing around in his room in tights, but he also was (apparently) a bit of a car enthusiast, picked up from the fact that he helped his dad out around the auto repair station. He was also a good kicker on the football team, though he needed THAT music to do it, so maybe it cancels out.

Admittedly it was a small bit of depth, but at least it was something. I think the big difference between now and then, though, is that back then they didn't feel like they needed to make his sexuality a big deal; contrary to now, where almost every single scene Kurt's in feels like it has to announce that he's gay.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kurt would be fine if he wasn't pulling the weight of the entire show. Last season Quinn's pregnancy and Rachel search for her birth mom gave the show a little more balance, but now it's just Kurt's feeling alienated and everyone else in the group falling into an endless array of love triangles.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kurt would be fine if he wasn't pulling the weight of the entire show. Last season Quinn's pregnancy and Rachel search for her birth mom gave the show a little more balance, but now it's just Kurt's feeling alienated and everyone else in the group falling into an endless array of love triangles.

Yes.

All of the characters this past season could generally be broken down into one of the following three categories:

1. Gay or Bi.
    2. Boring.
    3. Sue Sylvester.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    A little more exploration of Emma would be nice.

Coach Sylvester not being a completely overblown cartoon would be even moreso.

We see so little of people's home lives this season, yet family is such a rich source of potential drama - one that almost every viewer can relate to. "Rumors" fell flat for me because I just don't care about that kind of crap anymore. High school rumor mill? That was nearly a decade ago for me.

As an alternative, consider this: I know the series has been pushing gay a little hard already, but imagine if Karofsky came out to his seemingly reasonable dad, and in contrast to how accepting adults have been of Kurt, Karof's dad turned out to be a raging, full-on homophobe. The pain of not being accepted by the person you're supposed to trust to accept you the most is a hurt many of us can empathize with.

I'd watch that over another Rumors any day of the week.

Dac on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dac wrote: »

We see so little of people's home lives this season, yet family is such a rich source of potential drama - one that almost every viewer can relate to. "Rumors" fell flat for me because I just don't care about that kind of crap anymore. High school rumor mill? That was nearly a decade ago for me.

As an alternative, consider this: I know the series has been pushing gay a little hard already, but imagine if Karofsky came out to his seemingly reasonable dad, and in contrast to how accepting adults have been of Kurt, Karof's dad turned out to be a raging, full-on homophobe. The pain of not being accepted by the person you're supposed to trust to accept you the most is a hurt many of us can empathize with.

I'd watch that over another Rumors any day of the week.

But we've met Karofsky's dad, and he's super reasonable.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

She is starting to get a little Boris Badenov from Rocky and Bullwinkle, isn't she?

SammyF on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I'll volunteer.

:winky:

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think it'd be fun to set up a rivalry with the drama club, but that's only because I don't mind showtunes.

Robos A Go Go on