As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Comic Thread for Friday, May 13, 2011

scsscsscsscs Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Social Entropy++
i-Rrh8FjH-L.jpg

scsscs on

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    See this is why medic worked great in tf2. Couldn't horde shit.

Also, hello robot man. Long time no see

Bucketman on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I saw "support class" and went to look up what Brink was and was disappointed to see it was an FPS instead of an RPG.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited May 2011
    pure multiplayer games with an entire absence of absolutely any semblance of single player content are about the furthest you can possibly get from fun for me

in mmo's i can solo when i want and team when i'm lonely, but there's god damned nothing in brink, if i wanted to play an fps that was nothing but me running around shooting meat bots by myself all day i'd plug in perfect dark

Whippy on
  • Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought Brink was about skateboarding. It's not about skateboarding? Because a skateboard FPS would be interesting, if only to see what happens.

FactorySquirrel on
    "That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To be fair, undoubtedly those players were covered in grime from being so extreme, and robes are a pain in the ass to get dry-cleaned.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game looks terrible.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, Brink is an imbalanced nightmare?

Xehalus on
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's great.

Darric on
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    (On PC)

Darric on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah I hear bitching nonstop about Brink

but only from 360 players

Captain K on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited May 2011
    did it get a ps3 release? that'd be unfortunate.

Whippy on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

yup :lol:

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    It's CrumbelievableIt's Crumbelievable Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought Brink was about skateboarding. It's not about skateboarding? Because a skateboard FPS would be interesting, if only to see what happens.

I thought Brink was about rollerblading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO9sUg0Lab0

I was sadly mistaken :(

It's Crumbelievable on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »

yup :lol:

So what did people do?

Buy it for the PS3, go home and then ...... play against bots?

I'd love to see the sales figures for the PS3 version.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

I loved that movie when I was a kid.

FactorySquirrel on
    "That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    this game looked so fun in the pre-release hype

did it turn out not to be fun?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    that's what a bunch of reviews are saying

makes me afraid to leave the skirts of TF2

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They added a bunch of stuff to make it more attractive to people who have been playing Counter-Strike and Call of Duty and Halo for the past ten years, but it's really just Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory done all over again and spiffed up with FPS concepts from other, more recent franchises.

So a lot of people hate it because it's not CS or CoD or Halo but I fucking love it.

Captain K on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The lack of distinction between SP and MP sounds very... experimental

Wouldn't that make for an incredible amount of lag if people are just popping in and out of your games? How do servers work exactly

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    The lack of distinction between SP and MP sounds very... experimental

Wouldn't that make for an incredible amount of lag if people are just popping in and out of your games? How do servers work exactly

Experimental doesn't really cover it: there isn't really a single-player at all, unless you would have counted playing TF2 against bots as singleplayer. How they got away with calling it that is beyond me. Well, I guess they didn't get away with it, looking at some of those review scores.

Anyways on PC the way it works is you can either play it solo (i.e. with a team of stupid bots against another team of stupid bots) or you can find a server online. Or you can do the weird middle-ground thing where you set up a game and people can join in on you but it will likely be horrible and laggy because you are acting as the host for them.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I loved that movie when I was a kid.

ditto, that was my jam back in the day.

Graves on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If I ever played pen-and-paper RPGs, I'd be a cleric. A cleric who sells complex and expensive healthcare plans to his comrades at the beginning of the campaign.

"Resurrection, huh? That's pretty pricey. Give me your fucking boots."

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Captain K wrote: »
    They added a bunch of stuff to make it more attractive to people who have been playing Counter-Strike and Call of Duty and Halo for the past ten years, but it's really just Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory done all over again and spiffed up with FPS concepts from other, more recent franchises.

So a lot of people hate it because it's not CS or CoD or Halo but I fucking love it.

Brink needs about two or three solid, meaty patches before it's great. But there's meat on those bones. I fucking adore the art style. But there's a whole host of bugs and glitches and imabalances that I don't doubt will be smoothed out in a month or so.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Brink needs about two or three solid, meaty patches before it's great. But there's meat on those bones. I fucking adore the art style. But there's a whole host of bugs and glitches and imabalances that I don't doubt will be smoothed out in a month or so.

yeah I agree.

I'm having a lot of fun with it when I play against bots plus 2 or 3 other humans who are very nearby geographically

Hopefully a couple of patches will fix the netcode. If it ever runs as smoothly as Bad Company 2 I'll probably never stop playing.

#pipe on
  • Options
    ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Reminds me of how in Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Medics were the best offensive class. Oh, you'd want to play actual support for a little bit to level up a couple times as a Medic first. Regenerating health and the ability to use your own health packs made you formidable, but add in later level abilities like adrenaline and dual pistols, you'd be a powerhouse.

ffaristocrat on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    I like the perspective of this comic. It's a simple couch comic done differently and it looks good.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Sounds pretty great to me because I fucking hate Halo and there's a significant portion of my life back I'd like from CS. I think I can attribute a full point maybe even a point and a half loss of my GPA in my first year of college to CS.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    pure multiplayer games with an entire absence of absolutely any semblance of single player content are about the furthest you can possibly get from fun for me

in mmo's i can solo when i want and team when i'm lonely, but there's god damned nothing in brink, if i wanted to play an fps that was nothing but me running around shooting meat bots by myself all day i'd plug in perfect dark

I think you'd have to start making explicitly genderist comments to get me to agree with you less

throw in something about hating the jews maybe

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I used to like soloing a lot in MMOs and be the lone wolf in FPS, but meh, doesn't do it for me anymore.

There's no sniper option in this game is there? That class takes the team aspect out of FPS so badly...

Cythraul on
    Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like the perspective of this comic. It's a simple couch comic done differently and it looks good.

It does mix things up a bit. It used to be every couch comic had it facing either to the left of the panel or directly on. Lately it's been facing the right more often, and showing more of the floor and the doorway is useful too.

So that it doesn't become stale

SabreMau on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Butters wrote: »

Sounds pretty great to me because I fucking hate Halo and there's a significant portion of my life back I'd like from CS. I think I can attribute a full point maybe even a point and a half loss of my GPA in my first year of college to CS.

I had to do resits on about five of my gcse exams because of Phantasy Star Online. That game landed at the absolute best and worst time for me.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Multiplayer-only shooters with only 8 maps (and only one objective per map per side) should not be $60. I know there's no middleground for consoles between a $15 downloadable title and a $60 retail title but they'd get a lot less flack for the game's issues and limitations if they only charged like $30 for it.

As of right now they're losing sales because it's maybe $45 worth of game for $60.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jedoc wrote: »
    If I ever played pen-and-paper RPGs, I'd be a cleric. A cleric who sells complex and expensive healthcare plans to his comrades at the beginning of the campaign.

"Resurrection, huh? That's pretty pricey. Give me your fucking boots."

i am stealing this and writing a story about it

consider it THIEVED

Quoth on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yayyyyy Brinkcomic.

Brink is a lot of fun BTW. You might want to wait for a patch or two and for the price to maybe come down somewhat, but it's a lot of fun.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Multiplayer-only shooters with only 8 maps (and only one objective per map per side) should not be $60. I know there's no middleground for consoles between a $15 downloadable title and a $60 retail title but they'd get a lot less flack for the game's issues and limitations if they only charged like $30 for it.

As of right now they're losing sales because it's maybe $45 worth of game for $60.

I remember L4D and L4D2 getting a lot of flak for this, but I guess the numerous bugs in Brink stop folks from dwelling on it too much

Squall on
  • Options
    DuoDuo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cythraul wrote: »
    I used to like soloing a lot in MMOs and be the lone wolf in FPS, but meh, doesn't do it for me anymore.

There's no sniper option in this game is there? That class takes the team aspect out of FPS so badly...

There are indeed sniper rifles. There's no dedicated sniper class, though. The sniper rifles aren't all that fantastic, though.

I'm going to try a few of the other rifles, but so far I haven't found one that is just super great.

I seem to remember the devs saying that sniping was possible, but they made it difficult. So far, I would have to agree.

Duo on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I see no problem with developers focusing on exclusively on mulitplayer

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I agree with this

is there literally a single human being on the planet that ever played through battlefields single player?

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I prefer co-op to single player gaming, but I'm not really a fan of straight-up multiplayer unless it's tf2.

There isn't really a problem with developers focusing solely on multiplayer, that's just the audience they're going after. And I probably won't buy it. Unless it has hats.

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I agree with this

is there literally a single human being on the planet that ever played through battlefields single player?

I played through Bad Company's single player and never touched multi.

I hate competitive multiplayer. I actually had some hope for Brink, but if there's no story and it's just fighting people because they're there, looks like I won't bother.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are