As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LEGO] Cap'n Jack, Yoda, and Harrison Ford. True Jedi Achieved.

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Games and Technology
This thread is for discussing Traveler's Tales Games' adorable and addictive LEGO series.

LPOTC_X360boxshot2D_RP%20edit.jpg

LSWIII-Large2.jpg

BatmanFront.jpg

LHP%202.jpg

LEGO%20Indy%20splash%20copy.jpg

I've recently picked up LEGO Star Wars 3 and LEGO Pirates. I really enjoy some of the new additions to the games. The ground battles in Clone Wars remind me of playing Brutal Legend. In a good way. I just wish the AI were a bit more aggressive. The battles themselves are not challenging at all.

Lucascraft on

• NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    YO
    I love these games. These are the only games I can play with my wife/kids. I haven't picked up Pirates yet but plan to do so shortly.

For Lego Star Wars III, it seems like a lot of the puzzles are COMPLETELY abstract and a little kid would never figure some of these out.

NeuralFizz on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love Lego Star Wars (still need to buy the others), unfortunately, for some reason, my save data keeps disappearing. Not sure why. (this is on the Wii)

Kind of no fun to play it when whatever progress you make is gone in the morning.

Xaquin on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lego Pirates is pretty good so far. Much more in depth than I thought it could be.

Lego Star Wars 3 is the pinnacle of Lego gaming, IMO.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really like the way they used the magical compass in Lego Pirates.

Lucascraft on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pirates is out already? I thought I still had a month...

Although I should have known better, what with the tie-in and all.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited May 2011
    Lego Pirates came out Tuesday.

Capt Howdy on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've always enjoyed the LEGO games, and plan on picking up Pirates and Star Wars III soon enough.

urahonky on
    edited May 2011
    Their animation team has really improved in the last couple games. They nailed Jack's swagger. And Yoda's spastic lightsaber combat is spot on too. The Jar Jar animations in Clone Wars are really good too. I mean, I know he's Jar Jar and everyone hates him. But that doesn't mean they didn't do a good job on him.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2011
    The first thing I commented on while playing Lego Pirates was how well they nailed Jack's manerisms. Glad to know I wasn't the only one who noticed it.

Capt Howdy on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Do these games (specifically Pirates and Clone Wars) use only local coop or do they have online too?

Got a few spots in my rental queue and seems like they would be a good distraction.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited May 2011
    Do these games (specifically Pirates and Clone Wars) use only local coop or do they have online too?

Got a few spots in my rental queue and seems like they would be a good distraction.

Pretty sure just local, but I'm not 100% on that.

Capt Howdy on
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not sure wether I should pick up Star Wars 3 or Pirates yet.

From what I've heard and seen there are many improvements in Pirates as well as SW 3 over the past Lego games, such as many characters being less useless, new characters that have combined abilities, improved co-op, better combat (no revolution or anything, just less tedious and more fluid) etc. Now the thing I'm worrying about is actually two things: Does the game have enough content? and Can I pick my favorite character without having to switch every three seconds?
    Afaik the Lego SW 3 levels aren't all that big, and it doesn't help to know that there aren't three episodes but rather two sides like in Lego Batman. Can anyone tell me how much time they've invested until reaching 100% completion?
    The second question is quite simple really. All I want to know is: Are there characters that either can't progress through their level by not being able to jump or fight or are there characters that have no ability on their own (panels, throwing lightsaber, grappling hook etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

edited May 2011
    Wait, what? Lego Star Wars III has two factions like in Batman?

NeuralFizz on
    edited May 2011
    Lego SW III is actually quite huge. This is what you have to do in order to 100% it:

-- Two full play-throughs of each level. One for story, and a second with free play.
    -- Assault Mode as Republic (turn all planets blue)
    -- Assault Mode as Separatists (turn all planets red)
    -- Complete all bounty hunter missions
    -- Space missions: collect all the gold bricks by completing the space mission for each planet.

I'd estimate that if you're going for 100% completion and 1000 gamerscore, it will probably take you 30+ hours to get everything.

Lucascraft on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    (I was just about to make a lego thread damnit)

I've been playing through Lego Harry Potter, good game and quite addictive. Although there are some areas with lots of foliage as a "here's all the studs, grind through this to get True Wizard". Although hogwarts is alot of fun, learning new skills and accessing areas as you progress.

Ill probably pick up Pirates next, still need to play the Lego Indies and Star Wars 3.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
    edited May 2011
    Lego Indy is definitely a different beast. Still awesome, but the levels are HUGE, like twice the length of a standard star wars level.

NeuralFizz on
    edited May 2011

From what I've heard and seen there are many improvements in Pirates as well as SW 3 over the past Lego games, such as many characters being less useless, new characters that have combined abilities, improved co-op, better combat (no revolution or anything, just less tedious and more fluid) etc. Now the thing I'm worrying about is actually two things: Does the game have enough content? and Can I pick my favorite character without having to switch every three seconds?
    Afaik the Lego SW 3 levels aren't all that big, and it doesn't help to know that there aren't three episodes but rather two sides like in Lego Batman. Can anyone tell me how much time they've invested until reaching 100% completion?
    The second question is quite simple really. All I want to know is: Are there characters that either can't progress through their level by not being able to jump or fight or are there characters that have no ability on their own (panels, throwing lightsaber, grappling hook etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

Like Lucascraft said, LSW3 is massive. We're talking 30 - 50 hrs based on skill level or if you use cheats.

You won't have to switch every 3 seconds, but yes, you will have to switch eventually. And yes, there are levels you won't be able to complete if you just want to use 1 character.

LSW3 is one of the best games I have played this year. Lego Pirates is shaping up quite well too.

Capt Howdy on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

One of the Star Wars ones has online, not sure which one. I think TCS, but again... Not sure.

urahonky on
    edited May 2011
    As far as I know, none of the LEGO games have online. I'm pretty sure the entire series is local co-op only.

Lucascraft on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    As far as I know, none of the LEGO games have online. I'm pretty sure the entire series is local co-op only.

Incorrect. The Star Wars Trilogy copy I had for the 360 had online play. I remember specifically running around in a huge playground full of shit to mess around with, and there were online peoples.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Thanks in advance!

Like Lucascraft said, LSW3 is massive. We're talking 30 - 50 hrs based on skill level or if you use cheats.

You won't have to switch every 3 seconds, but yes, you will have to switch eventually. And yes, there are levels you won't be able to complete if you just want to use 1 character.

LSW3 is one of the best games I have played this year. Lego Pirates is shaping up quite well too.

Thanks for the info, it looks like Lego Star Wars 3 and Lego Pirates are the best Lego games avaiable right now, I guess I won't get around buying them.
    I know you need to switch at certain points to progress for various reasons, though is it as bad as Lego Star Wars 1/2 where you had a room with a few buildables with a short puzzle that requires multiple "switchings" to complete? If not then I'd already be more then happy.
    Also, I definitely have to say, both from screenshots and videos, the graphics are amazing for Lego games. The water in Pirates, the lightening and surroundings in Star Wars look fantastic without making Lego constructs look out of place.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

edited May 2011
    The character switching isn't as bad as the original games. You can play through pretty good portions without switching.

Capt Howdy on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey Guys. I have Lego PotC. It is super fun. I highly recomend it. The way Cap'n Jack runs in the game is alone worth the price.

Tip for people freeplaying
    Some of the characters in the hub world, like Blackbeard, require you to beat them up a bit first before they let you buy them. Took me a bit to figure that out.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is the 3DS version of LSW3 worth playing, or should I stick to the Wii as usual?

jothki on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We're a bit Lego-ed out after Star Wars Collection, Indiana Jones, Batman and Harry Potter, but my wife and I do love some co-op Lego fun. If P'rats is even better than Harry Potter then I very much look forward to when we do pick it up as that one was really very good.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited May 2011
    Lego Pirates crushes Lego HP. It's not even close.

Capt Howdy on
    edited May 2011
    Lego Harry Potter was awesome. If Pirates is even better...

jothki on
    edited May 2011
    Better use of everything; combat is smoother, more varied locations and item usage, greater range of character usage, and they really really brought Capt Jack to life in this. Harry just seemed like a lego character, Sparrow feels like you are playing as Capt Jack Sparrow. Savvy?

I'm not a HP fan (book or movie) but I thought the game was better than it should have been. I'm also not a fan of PotC, but do feel like Depp's Sparrow is the only reason to watch the movies. (Music too, great music) Fan wise, I'm about as objective of the source materials as anyone could be. When it comes to the games, PotC vs HP isn't even close.

Lego PotC is the second best overall Lego Game out there, second only to Lego Star Wars The Clone Wars.

PS: I hate the Star Wars Clone Wars source material. But the game is off the charts.

Capt Howdy on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lego Star Wars Complete was always my favourite of the series, but if the two new one's blast it away I may have to consider a purchase.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
    edited May 2011
    Man. Some of these bounty hunter missions in SW3 are ridiculous. Maybe I'm just doing them wrong.

Lucascraft on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am playing LEGO Harry Potter with a friend, and I am not sure that I like it as well as others like Batman and Indy. Is LSW 3 and LEGO PotC more like the other LEGO SW games or more like HP? I mean, I am having fun with HP, but I don't like the level design as much, and the hub seems haphazard to me whereas it made sense to me in the other games.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm actually considering trading in my copy of LSW3 that I picked up for the 3DS. Without co-op, it just isn't anywhere near as fun. Though the space missions in 3D make me really want a port of Rogue Squadron.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    edited May 2011
    jclast wrote: »
    I am playing LEGO Harry Potter with a friend, and I am not sure that I like it as well as others like Batman and Indy. Is LSW 3 and LEGO PotC more like the other LEGO SW games or more like HP? I mean, I am having fun with HP, but I don't like the level design as much, and the hub seems haphazard to me whereas it made sense to me in the other games.

Lego HP seemed really different to me as well. Lego Pirates is much more fun, and Lego SWIII is freaking epic. HP was a decent moody Lego game, Lego PoTC is a comedic action adventure game that does everything it had to do and more, and Lego Star Wars The Clone Wars is everything I ever asked for in the Lego SW series.

Lego HP is really the weakest link in the series to me, followed by the 1st Lego Indy game. Clone Wars, PotC, and Batman are the pinnacles of Lego gaming in my opinion.

Capt Howdy on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Lego HP is really the weakest link in the series to me, followed by the 1st Lego Indy game. Clone Wars, PotC, and Batman are the pinnacles of Lego gaming in my opinion.
    Funny to hear that... I remember Lego Batman getting rather rmediocre reviews, whereas most critics loved Lego Harry Potter.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    edited May 2011
    I've played both in the last week; Lego Batman is far more enjoyable than Lego HP. HP has better graphics, better sound, and more options. But HP also lost some of that Lego fun somewhere in it all. I don't know if they stuck to close to the source material or what, but it did not have the same Lego charm of Batman.

Lego HP is a fine game, it's just not the most enjoyable of the Lego games. It still outshines every other HP game on the market though.

Hell, Lego Batman was the best Batman game ever until AA came out.

Capt Howdy on
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Man. Some of these bounty hunter missions in SW3 are ridiculous. Maybe I'm just doing them wrong.

Which ones are you having trouble with? One or two are tricky if you're not using the right character, but they should be mostly straightforward.

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Got 360 Lego Indiana jones 2 at a garage sale for $1 today. Only ever played Lego star wars the complete trilogy. Good thing or bad thing? What is the best Lego game out now? I figured I might wait for a harry potter complete collection.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited May 2011
    Harry Potter Complete is probably unlikely, considering how the first game was set up. In Star Wars Complete, everything could be shoved into a larger cantina, but Harry Potter's world doesn't work like that.

jothki on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    jothki wrote: »
    Harry Potter Complete is probably unlikely, considering how the first game was set up. In Star Wars Complete, everything could be shoved into a larger cantina, but Harry Potter's world doesn't work like that.

What do you mean? Diagon Alley/Leaky Cauldron work just fine to transition between years. I mean, if it worked for years 1-4, why wouldn't it work for 1-7?

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    edited May 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

What do you mean? Diagon Alley/Leaky Cauldron work just fine to transition between years. I mean, if it worked for years 1-4, why wouldn't it work for 1-7?

Hogwarts, though. That's the real hub for everything, and it's heavily tied into the plot. Would years 1-4 have Hogwarts completely unaltered, while years 5-7 have an entirely different Hogwarts?

jothki on