As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The War of Art: Vanguard kind of likes how Satan's asshole smells

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am tempted to do a red primer for my orks and then paint the green over it. Since they are speed freaks.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wouldn't think there would be enough red left, even being speed freaks. Unless clothing, armour plates and guns are being done red.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    altmann wrote: »
    Well... I have to say the army painter primer I've used has been fucking amazing. It covers extremely well and IS the basecoat. If you can find that, go for it.

I second this. I just started using Uniform Grey (?) as the basecoat on my wolves and it has been phenomenal. It's got such a nice smoothness that the GW primer doesnt have. I used to be a Chaos Black only guy, too.

The first model I fully painted with it is that rhino I posted a few pages back. I would say if you've got a ton of vehicles to paint that Army Painter would be the only way to go on your basecoat.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Morskittar wrote: »
    I miss GW's old black primer, from before the change. The stuff that was so matte you had to paint under a bright light so you could see any detail. And wouldn't chip under anything sort of a determined sharp metal object attack.

Have you tried Vallejos black primer? It's super matte!
    altmann wrote: »
    Well... I have to say the army painter primer I've used has been fucking amazing. It covers extremely well and IS the basecoat. If you can find that, go for it.

I second this. Army painter is awesome and really, really speeds up the process.

Niklas on
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So do you guys use the army painter basecoat as the 'primer' or is there a separate army painter product for priming?

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They have a primer/color line. It takes care of both.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ' wrote:
    -[arlequin;19247763']So do you guys use the army painter basecoat as the 'primer' or is there a separate army painter product for priming?

I use the navy blue spray (paint or primer, whatever it is) as both primer and basecoat in one go. Works flawlessly.

Niklas on
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    All of this Army Painter love has me reconsidering it. I'd been using it because it was the only readily available black primer I could find suitable for minis (all you guys saying Krylon primer works great are crazy, even matte that stuff is too gloss for me to get paint to stick). I had also used a goblin green to paint a HOTT army of goblins for my father in law to great effect, really saved me a lot of time, so it had that going for it. Then I discovered P3's primer, and love the control the nozzle affords, as well as the paint surface it provides. I have no problem with AP as a primer, I was mostly turned off by the (by comparison) out of control spray pattern.
    But now that I've been slowly but surely working my way toward a Khador unit, I'm reconsidering the colored primer angle again. I certainly wouldn't have blown through 2/3 a bottle of Khador Red base on two warjacks and a warcaster, which would have been a plus.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Yeah grey is a good all around primer colour, but I would also assume starting with your specific base colour would be even better.

Are you talking about actual primer? Because that's usually gray. Sometimes white or black. I'm pretty sure that some stuff, like the GW black primer, isn't primer at all, but just spray paint.
    I use this:
    ARYGGSP2.jpeg

Before Armory Grey, I used GW black/white 'primer' exclusively. (I know it's just spay paint)

As it turns out I lied!

I went out to prime some models today and realized that I don't use Armory anymore. Now I remember the grey colour was a little too light and I couldn't find it around here anymore, so I switched to The Army Painter stuff:

TAPCP3010.jpg

Like altmann said, this is primer+paint and it covers beautifully.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PICTURES NOT WORDS

img_113.jpg

I started work on the gun finally. I need to work out a mounting bracket, but the gun 'end'/barrel will be facing towards the right, covered with cables and such once it's done. Also I'm going to go with my crystal idea for the las/blast whatever stuff it'll shoot.
    img_115.jpg

Ruler for scale reference (with the repositioned leg it only stands about 7.5" tall now):
    img_116.jpg
    (I had to shore up the brackets to the legs as well, one had snapped a couple months back. Now it should be fine I hope)

I got around to adding pistons to the legs so it sorta looks like it could move on its own:
    img_114.jpg

Scale reference with a defiler:
    img_118.jpg
    Big brother looks about the proper size for a super heavy walker, eh?

Also making a smaller backpack to go along with something else:
    This:
    img_117.jpg

Goes with:
    img_.jpg
    Son of a bitch that backpack is FINALLY done, as in I have NOTHING more to fabricate. No more little details (maybe a couple more stickers but that's simple), no more cables or anything else.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Is that a ghostbusters backpack or part of a techmarine harness you're building to help with papa defiler's assembly?

At any rate, they look good and you should feel good. :)

Slapnuts on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have painted a bunch of stuff recently:

Finish my Beast Handlers:
    PGBH1.jpg
    PGBH2.jpg

Started a Void Spirit:
    voidspirit1.jpg

Worked on the Nihilators some more:
    Nihilators4.jpg

and did a quick and nasty job on the models from the BSG boardgame.
    BSG1.jpg
    BSG2.jpg
    BSG3.jpg
    BSG4.jpg

I'll have more pics of other stuff tomorrow weather willing.

Leaf, that thing is looking boss. What thickness of plasticard are you using and what do you use to cut it?

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Asher...your painting is effing awesome man. Love the BSG minis.

Slapnuts on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So say we all.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I use white primer purely because I love how models look when they've been primed white.

It also keeps me honest in terms of not missing spots.

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Asher - I've been wanting to do that to my BSG set for a while now. Good work.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Asher wrote: »
    Leaf, that thing is looking boss. What thickness of plasticard are you using and what do you use to cut it?

On the hell prawn, it's generally 1mm, though pieces vary and go from 1.5-2mm thickness, depending. 1 to 1.5 is easiest to work with. I just use a square and a ruler, score it with a blade a couple times and snap it.

The backpack is from Ghostbusters, the circular thing is the ghost trap backpack from the Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon. 2mm plastic on that for a bit more strength.

edit: also, thanks. I hope all the work I'm putting into it will turn out.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's some pretty amazing construction work Leaf.

On the advice of you fine chaps, I've started a batch of speed-painted skavenslaves. If I can finish 20 in about a week, that puts me only three months out from having all my new clanrats, slaves, stormvermin painted.

That's Calthan Brown, washed out by the flash.

07.jpg

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    At first I thought Asher said the BSG mini game and I was about to furiously search the internet for info and then I realized it wasn't true and my heart sank :(

SJ on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SJ wrote: »
    At first I thought Asher said the BSG mini game and I was about to furiously search the internet for info and then I realized it wasn't true and my heart sank :(

Simpsons-Nelson-haha.jpg

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It should totally be a thing though.

also: Razorworm:

Razorworm.jpg
    Razorworm2.jpg

Asher on
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That is damn nice. Love the colours.

J on
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gah, my order with wayland games is still "processing" after a week. Are there actually any game stores I can order from and expect a decent turnaround? Gave up on maelstrom since I've been finding them extremely slow too.

Maybe I should stick to eBay, least with pictures of the stuff im just at the mercy of the seller.

J on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I figured paint might be quicker to order than minis but my Maelstrom paint order is still in processing. I think I might just suck up the extra cost and get the rest of my paints locally.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Asher, that looks awesome. Something I'd love to use for roleplaying games as well.

Niklas on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've had good luck with Miniature Market. Quick turnaround, 25% discount, and free shipping over $75. http://www.miniaturemarket.com/

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone have pictures of how the navy army painter primer looks? I'm eager to try it, but I've got like half my guard army painted with a regal blue over black primer, and I'm hoping the difference won't be too noticeable.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Holy fuck cruising the armorcast website is like looking at an abortion.

This is unrelated to things, but I thought I'd look at their 'cinematic effects' that's always being touted on 40k radio.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hate those. I feel like the 'cinematic effects' are more akin to 'really launch your models into the realm of "live action comic book" which always looks dumb' but that's just me.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The only good one is the missile launcher bit that is shooting a squirrel or w/e

e: HIGH EXPLOSIVE HAMSTER http://armorcast.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=100&products_id=887

SJ on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I've gotta agree they do look pretty bad.

I don't know if anyone recalls the pictures of the warmachine diorama from pax a couple years ago? I posted pictures, but those explosions were fucking amazing.

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

Ok so maybe just that first one is really well done (and there was only like these two photos I got that had explosions in them), but those all look better by comparison to AC I think.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Who you gonna call?
    voidspirit2.jpg

Asher on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So thinking of getting some of the army painter sprays, to at least give me a head start on my massive backlog of painting.

The desert yellow with strong or dark tone seems fairly close to the traditional Tau colour scheme - is it really, or are there other GW colours that come closer to it (for touching up etc) or army painter/equivalent sprays (was wondering about the Fur brown)?

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Asher wrote: »
    Who you gonna call?
    voidspirit2.jpg

Sir, what we have here is what we call a non-repeating phantasm, or a class-5 free roaming vapor, real nasty one too.

And by nasty I mean "really nice looking".

Tastyfish have you compared it to the GW foundation yellows? Iyanden Darksun and Tausept Ochre? I'd imagine those (particularly the latter) are what GW uses for the traditional Tau armor.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I may have a can of desert yellow at home, tried it for my guard but i wanted a more tan/less yellow color for my guard. The test I did looked close to the regular tau scheme. I had a pot of some GW paint that was very close to it that may be good for touchups. I will see if I still have that stuff when I get home later today.

Ogotai on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've not brought either, thinking about it now - I was going to use Tau sept ochre or something like it (I know the original ones are vomit brown-ish, so I'm not fussed about an absolute match).

The main thing I'm wondering about is how close the spray is going to be to the paint, since previous experience with dark angel's green (though a long time and a GW undercoat) didn't match that well when painting Gothic imperials.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So anyone know a way of highlighting black that dosen't end up being cartoonish, for lack of a better term? Usually I dont like highlighting and just wash things, but I am almost done with my first crusader squad and want the black to be not as bland.

not great pic of the squad im talking about,

0000138z.jpg

Ogotai on
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ogotai wrote: »
    So anyone know a way of highlighting black that dosen't end up being cartoonish, for lack of a better term? Usually I dont like highlighting and just wash things, but I am almost done with my first crusader squad and want the black to be not as bland.

not great pic of the squad im talking about,

0000138z.jpg

Vallejo Model Colour German Grey is a nice highlight on black, just drybrush it.

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    German greys, or adeptus battle grey, lightly drybrushed, can do a good job of adding a subtle highlight.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like to paint my blacks with silver chipping along the edges.
    I tried a bunch of different methods but that struck the right balance for me between looking decent but not driving me mad to do.
    SgtNemo1.jpg
    Aronnax1.jpg
    Ironclad1.jpg

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
This discussion has been closed.