As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SC2: This thread is done, post in the new one!

• Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    s_86 wrote: »
    4) Download Mumble voice chat. Since the forum has been back and forth about having a large voice chat system in place but can't decide between Skype and Ventrillo, we've decided to go with Mumble instead. Download it via the link above, install it, and follow this information to get with the rest of us:

Connect to the server: vx36.commandchannel.com (or v.exosquad.net) port 31117
    Password is: wang

Update: Exoplasm has set up a webpage detailing how to make Mumble work. Go here to learn more.

thanks simon! bro hug!

ugh, now I cant remember the password for my verified account or if I even have one!

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We should really use mumble more often, Laddering is a lot more fun when you can bitch about the wave of bullshit you have to deal with.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    no zergs allowed though

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey exo, could we get some casting channels? Instead of using skype, casters could just jump on to mumble :D
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    no zergs allowed though

They'd drown out everyone else

Seguer on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    :'(
    I will be laddering tomorrow (most likely) you should get on mumble

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    derp

TannerMS on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I did my placement match for season 2! And got shoved into a Platinum division consisting solely of myself after losing to a Diamond player. Maybe I'll actually ladder now like I did back in the beta.

Z0re on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    what was the prize?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've been dropped three times in a row now. Is anyone else having issues?

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Was there some conspiracy to get people to stop using my mumble? :P

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Was there some conspiracy to get people to stop using my mumble? :P

yeah

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I heard exo's mumble gives you the cancer aids?

JAEF on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    no but talking like that might

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Seguer wrote: »
    Hey exo, could we get some casting channels? Instead of using skype, casters could just jump on to mumble :D

Well anyone is able to make a temporary channel (it will go away when everyone leaves it), but there are already plenty of unused channels. I guess, uh, lemme know if you want a permanent set of casting channels?

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Seguer wrote: »

Well anyone is able to make a temporary channel (it will go away when everyone leaves it), but there are already plenty of unused channels. I guess, uh, lemme know if you want a permanent set of casting channels?

Yeah I already messed with temporary channels, testing them out. I guess that'd be fine, this is more just for temporary "omg Skype is broken, quick, Mumble!" :P

Seguer on
  • Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    My second entry in my Diary of a Silver Leaguer is up now, if anyone wants to read it!

For those who don't know, I'm basically posting two to three of my own matches per day with my own analysis on them, and then putting it out there for everyone else to also read and critique. Feedback would be great.

Double gas normally means tech for terran, especially if he walls/bunkers up.

The big threat from this is cloaked banshees and/or drops (especially blue flame hellions).
    It could mean he's doing a 1 barracks 1 fact 1 port opening I guess (I'm not sure how soon you take second gas with this.)

The main point for you as a protoss is to get defense against banshees (detection/stalkers) and against drops (keep your army in the min line).

Quick primer for scouting terrans:

No gas = Either fast CC OR heavy marine pressure.
    Possible builds: 1 rax CC/2 rax CC, Proxy rax, fake wall with mass (6+) barracks in base.
    Solution: Scout for amount of raxes and/or CC in base with probes. Scout proxy positions for barracks. Poke his defenses to check for marine numbers. Keep probe infront of T main if he moves out/flies out CC.
    1 gas = More standard play. Usually pressure from rax units into an expansion.
    Solution: Scout for maximum amount of time with probe. Especially check number of rax or fact going down and if he goes techlab. If there is a techlab going down it's probably marauder pressure.
    Get early units to defend (1 zealot 2 stalkers beat 2 maruders 1 marine if microed properly) and expand quickly yourself.
    2 gas = Tech. Usually drops or banshees, sometimes a more safe opening.
    Solution: Get detectors and a medium sized army that you keep safely. Have probe to spot at tower or his ramp if he moves out with a push. Expand before he does and fend of harass.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If a terran has 2 gas before 17 supply, i'd expect banshees or some other tech build. You should try to get observers out a little early against them.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    2 gas in silver means he probably gets because its there

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    2 gas in silver means a marine rush

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    In bronze maybe...In silver people atleast try to do proper builds, just with poor mechanics..

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    joe can tell us the answer!

PoolCue on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    meh i think silver and bronze are all sort of the same...a grab bag of some skilled people lackign experience, people who are decent but don't play safe builds and thus lose a lot to cheese, and plain terrible people, in the case of silver who perhaps just got lucky in their placements

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    a couple of replays from tonights laddering as Terran

macro still slipping badly in the lategame but getting better early on

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=209108

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=209109

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ok then i watched it

chaoshat: macro is more important than micro warping in 4 more units is more important than watching as your 2 zealots and a stalker kill 3 marines

the terran guy did nothing with his gas, because hes silver and is not a very good player, had 1 in each gas for ages... then puts a 2nd into each?! then a 3rd later on! great, then his 1 rax with tech lab, queues 5 marauders instantly, top shelf!

my point is less generic analytical thinking about what went on in your games, more watching only yourself in them and finding mistakes and not doing them again. 1 safe build for each match up, do it over and over again because when you're a low league player you need to learn the basics such as macroing before you will get any higher and if you can't do even 1 build mindlessly (ie without having to think what you're supposed to do next) then how do expect to learn to micro better while macroing and react properly in the future to what the opponent is doing whilst then macro/micro

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Jinro playing next on http://www.teamliquid.net/calendar/2011/5/#event_4724

There's 4 streams to choose from (check TL)

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Which one is the best?

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    players featured: no zerg

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    cool game on this stream:
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Khaldor

carriers are so fucking cool.

iowa on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    sounds like I should get this mumble all the kids at school are talking 'bout

and I'd have to offrace when using it
    >.<'

ain't no thang
    ^^

also: wow, I must admit, the $25 for the entire NASL season is TOTALLY WORTH it just to avoid that bloody commercial

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    players featured: no zerg
    There were 4 zergs (SlayersMin, SlayersDrugBird, AnnyungPrime, MvPViolet). For whatever reason, they weren't listed in the calendar.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ok then i watched it

chaoshat: macro is more important than micro warping in 4 more units is more important than watching as your 2 zealots and a stalker kill 3 marines

the terran guy did nothing with his gas, because hes silver and is not a very good player, had 1 in each gas for ages... then puts a 2nd into each?! then a 3rd later on! great, then his 1 rax with tech lab, queues 5 marauders instantly, top shelf!

my point is less generic analytical thinking about what went on in your games, more watching only yourself in them and finding mistakes and not doing them again. 1 safe build for each match up, do it over and over again because when you're a low league player you need to learn the basics such as macroing before you will get any higher and if you can't do even 1 build mindlessly (ie without having to think what you're supposed to do next) then how do expect to learn to micro better while macroing and react properly in the future to what the opponent is doing whilst then macro/micro

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was just talking to my brother about cheese strats, and he asked me why it is that Zerg is the only race that can drop a production building (pool) without building anything else. Why not just have hatcheries give supply so Zerg don't need to start with an overlord, then make spawning pools require an overlord?

I couldn't come up with a response for him, it seems doing it that way would kinda make sense. Is there some good reason for not doing it that I'm missing?

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Race diversity?

Seguer on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aldarez wrote: »
    I was just talking to my brother about cheese strats, and he asked me why it is that Zerg is the only race that can drop a production building (pool) without building anything else. Why not just have hatcheries give supply so Zerg don't need to start with an overlord, then make spawning pools require an overlord?

I couldn't come up with a response for him, it seems doing it that way would kinda make sense. Is there some good reason for not doing it that I'm missing?

You already spawn with an overlord floating about, checking the weather.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    if 6pool was particularly overpowered i'd agree but its really not

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh actually I know.

Cos of the lore.

Overlords providing supply was how the Overmind exerted control over Zerg swarm.

Overmind -> Cerebrates -> Overlords -> Zerg Swarm

A Hatchery can't provide control :P

Of course, now the Overmind has been replaced by the Queen of Blades

Seguer on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    if 6pool was particularly overpowered i'd agree but its really not

This.

Spawning Pool also costs 200 minerals + a drone (so 250 minerals + lost mining time). Which is the same cost as Pylon/Gateway and Supply Depot/Barracks.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    and zerg units replaced by shittier versions and dumb ideas

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    preach on peacekeeper

PoolCue on
  • Options