As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SC2: This thread is done, post in the new one!

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also the overlord scout off the bat is pretty useful.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i mean, Zerg and Terran don't have a lot of trouble with 6pool given some decent micro, Protoss are the only ones who have to walk a fine line between over-reacting and under-reacting to it, but besides that its not too strong.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Seguer wrote: »
    Yeah exo's mumble is still in use guys. Kambing just removed it from the OP when he had the thread for a little, and Dover still hasn't put it back in

Hey, nobody mentioned wanting Mumble back in the OP. I'll put it back in if someone gives me all the info again. Also Exo, I know you're offering it up out of the kindness of your heart, but do you think you could clean up all the extra channels from the ill-fated PA weekly team thing we tried?

Thanks!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it in-thread before, Dover ;-)

EDIT: I love that winky icon. It's so smug.

Seguer on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    dhal you need to see how white-ra holds off 6 pool

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    i mean, Zerg and Terran don't have a lot of trouble with 6pool given some decent micro, Protoss are the only ones who have to walk a fine line between over-reacting and under-reacting to it, but besides that its not too strong.

Yeah, I was just comparing it to the fact that they removed the ability to build a barracks before a depot, so it seemed a little odd that they left in one exception to the "you must build a supply buliding before a production building" rule. I'm fine with the races functioning differently, I was moreso curious to find out if zerg being set up that way would have some effect on the race that I hadn't considered.

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Yeah exo's mumble is still in use guys. Kambing just removed it from the OP when he had the thread for a little, and Dover still hasn't put it back in

Hey, nobody mentioned wanting Mumble back in the OP. I'll put it back in if someone gives me all the info again. Also Exo, I know you're offering it up out of the kindness of your heart, but do you think you could clean up all the extra channels from the ill-fated PA weekly team thing we tried?

Thanks!

Link is in my sig and I cleared out the team league stuff already. :)

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aldarez wrote: »

Yeah, I was just comparing it to the fact that they removed the ability to build a barracks before a depot, so it seemed a little odd that they left in one exception to the "you must build a supply buliding before a production building" rule. I'm fine with the races functioning differently, I was moreso curious to find out if zerg being set up that way would have some effect on the race that I hadn't considered.

well, discounting Protoss because obviously you don't actually NEED a pylon before gateway, just pylon power...

The reason they changed Terran is because the ability to build a barracks first gave rise to what they believed was an opening that was too strong, ie, reaper-first vs Protoss (and Zerg? I don't remember). You had to race for a stalker every game vs Terran as Protoss, and even with optimal stalker timing, the reaper would still be in your base for a good 15 or so seconds unopposed (depending on map distances, but maps were smaller then too), and the only thing that kept you from losing probes to it was sending your zealot after it. and you still might lose a few! and god help you if you wanted to go sentry after zealot! you just couldn't.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    you don't remember?

you don't remember reapers against zerg?

where the hell were you!?

PoolCue on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Reapers are severely underused now.

That makes me sad.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ok then i watched it

chaoshat: macro is more important than micro warping in 4 more units is more important than watching as your 2 zealots and a stalker kill 3 marines

the terran guy did nothing with his gas, because hes silver and is not a very good player, had 1 in each gas for ages... then puts a 2nd into each?! then a 3rd later on! great, then his 1 rax with tech lab, queues 5 marauders instantly, top shelf!

my point is less generic analytical thinking about what went on in your games, more watching only yourself in them and finding mistakes and not doing them again. 1 safe build for each match up, do it over and over again because when you're a low league player you need to learn the basics such as macroing before you will get any higher and if you can't do even 1 build mindlessly (ie without having to think what you're supposed to do next) then how do expect to learn to micro better while macroing and react properly in the future to what the opponent is doing whilst then macro/micro

So, what builds should I be practicing against each race? This is part of my problem right now, as the TL wiki is kind of lacking. It gives you a shitton of builds, but it doesn't give you any idea of what's a more standard build to use, or where to start. TeamLiquid is definitely skewed towards the higher end, and it would be nice if there was a resource that's more tuned towards people starting out. Maybe there is and I'm not looking hard enough.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    wonder if anyone has tried 8 reapers in a dropship

would it do a lot of damage?

PoolCue on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    PoolCue wrote: »
    wonder if anyone has tried 8 reapers in a dropship

would it do a lot of damage?

I tried, but you can only put 4 in a Dropship. Weird, I know since they are only 1 supply.

Also, mumble info back in the OP.

Edit: New WFC player is Crucialityfactor, a silver level Protoss. Give 'em hell boys!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    having played all matchups on ladder pretty significantly since release i have to say in order my top 3 favourite matchups to play are

zvt
    pvt
    pvz

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, the SC2 placement games f'ed up pretty bad. I played 5, won 3 and it put me in the gold league. It's pretty silly, considering I am rather awful. I figured out why it did it - one of the matches, the player dropped out of the game after 5 seconds, which totally skewed the tally of the matches.

Is there a way to self demote to bronze? If I don't do any ladders for a while, will it just drop me down?

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Raakam wrote: »
    So, the SC2 placement games f'ed up pretty bad. I played 5, won 3 and it put me in the gold league. It's pretty silly, considering I am rather awful. I figured out why it did it - one of the matches, the player dropped out of the game after 5 seconds, which totally skewed the tally of the matches.

Is there a way to self demote to bronze? If I don't do any ladders for a while, will it just drop me down?
    Your mmr wont stabilise for about 20-30 games or so, so if you lose the next two say it will start paring you down significantly and you should get your true rank soon. You wont get demoted by not playing, just have to suck it up a bit and take the hits for a few games, it shouldnt take very long at all to get matched lower even though it says gold (gold can play anywhere from bronze to diamond based on your current mmr)

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    ok then i watched it

chaoshat: macro is more important than micro warping in 4 more units is more important than watching as your 2 zealots and a stalker kill 3 marines

the terran guy did nothing with his gas, because hes silver and is not a very good player, had 1 in each gas for ages... then puts a 2nd into each?! then a 3rd later on! great, then his 1 rax with tech lab, queues 5 marauders instantly, top shelf!

my point is less generic analytical thinking about what went on in your games, more watching only yourself in them and finding mistakes and not doing them again. 1 safe build for each match up, do it over and over again because when you're a low league player you need to learn the basics such as macroing before you will get any higher and if you can't do even 1 build mindlessly (ie without having to think what you're supposed to do next) then how do expect to learn to micro better while macroing and react properly in the future to what the opponent is doing whilst then macro/micro

So, what builds should I be practicing against each race? This is part of my problem right now, as the TL wiki is kind of lacking. It gives you a shitton of builds, but it doesn't give you any idea of what's a more standard build to use, or where to start. TeamLiquid is definitely skewed towards the higher end, and it would be nice if there was a resource that's more tuned towards people starting out. Maybe there is and I'm not looking hard enough.

watching day9 to understand the game and to learn to copy a build, and watch replays of good players. theres plenty of replay sites out there and some players post replay packs on tl.

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it in-thread before, Dover ;-)

EDIT: I love that winky icon. It's so smug.

I loved Dover's old icon from back in the day.

Man, that thing kept me from getting ANY work done.
    imba
    >.<'

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My replay's the ROTD?!? \m/

Thanks lads. <3

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MMMig wrote: »

imba
    >.<'

One of the really cute Korean girls from Girl's Generation dancing?

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    MMMig wrote: »

imba
    >.<'

One of the really cute Korean girls from Girl's Generation dancing?

LOL, no K-Pop here. I believe you're referring to my old team pic:

teamrickrollersgk8.gif

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The depot before rax thing came about because of reaper/zergling being absurdly good in 2v2.

And reaper builds against zerg were only good because of the speed, making them just slightly (or the same?) speed as a zergling with speed.

Keamien on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I didn't realize team games were ever considered when it came to game balance. I mean it's not like anyone could get that impression from playing the game...

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I thought the depot before bunker was made to slow down bunker / rine rushing.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Guess who just graduated from college?

This guy.

Have to miss TSL finals because of family stuff though /cry

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Congrats on the graduation, woo!

30 mins until Thorzaine v Naniwa.

so excited
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekk

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Who are todays TSL casters?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    Who are todays TSL casters?

Chill and Day9

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yessssssss

Exactly the duo I was hoping for

Honk on
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This match better not dissapoint like GSL finals.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thorz aint op, THORZAIN OP

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Any advice on finishing people off once you have an advantage?

In my last 2 games (TvT) I have had double the army after about 10 mins and have pretty much crippled my opponent. Then they sit in their base with siege tanks and I just throw my larger army (MMM) at a brick wall. First try, everything fell apart and I ended up losing after an hour long game. Second try I just stayed away from his main and expanded all over the map. I ended up winning but only after he totally ran out of resources and tried to expand to a 3rd base.

In both games I was out macroing the opponent by miles and then losing a 100 man army every 5 minutes.

Hedwirez on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hedwirez wrote: »

In my last 2 games (TvT) I have had double the army after about 10 mins and have pretty much crippled my opponent. Then they sit in their base with siege tanks and I just throw my larger army (MMM) at a brick wall. First try, everything fell apart and I ended up losing after an hour long game. Second try I just stayed away from his main and expanded all over the map. I ended up winning but only after he totally ran out of resources and tried to expand to a 3rd base.

In both games I was out macroing the opponent by miles and then losing a 100 man army every 5 minutes.

Drop his main; kill his production and tech. All the money in the world won't save him after that.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, sometimes you just gotta patch. 65% winrate strategy? They don't care if it's teams but it's worth patching in 1v1. 95% winrate strategy? Shit son time to get patched.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hedwirez wrote: »

Don't force a win. You can not get MMM up a ramp that has tanks guarding it. Just get some tanks of your own, contain him, expand and just wait it out. He'll get bored and attempt to move out/drop and you'll be there ready to crush him.

Keamien on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Stream is live and playing ominous music.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    When in doubt, nuke.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    really starcraft-light week for me. sucked.

but here I am ready to watch ThorZain take home the TSL3 title.

I should go to nyc for the after thing but I'm tired.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    What is the link to watch the TSL3? I went to the TSL3 website and it has a countdown, but no link. :?

Edit: NM it was hidden at the top of the site.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    as always, any stream ever related to starcraft can be found at teamliquid.net

the direct link is http://www.ustream.tv/teamliquidtv

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch