As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PATV problems.

SifeusSifeus Registered User regular
I've been unable to view PATV for the past month or so, and have finally decided to make an account and report the issue.

All I see is a big grey rectangle. This was fine at first, when I thought Gabe was attempting something particularly avant garde, but after five minutes of staring I realized something was wrong.

The big grey rectangle (hence-force referred to as the bgr) appears even when I disable the usual javascript blocker I employ, and the bgr even appears when I use Google Chrome. (usually using Firefox 4)

I cannot fathom what would cause this bgr to plague me across two browsers, when all other in-browser media players I've encountered seem to work fine.

Have you sent the bgr to punish me for some wrong-doing? If so, I am sorry.

If not, please let it know that I wish it no ill-will, but would like it to go away.

Sifeus on

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What kind of firewall are you using?

And you say all that you see is a big grey rectangle; are you hearing audio, or is there just nothing there?

Thanatos on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Are you using an adblocker? Try disabling that.

ASimPerson on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Or an addon like NoScript.

DeShadowC on
  • SifeusSifeus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Usually I'm using an NoScript. But I definitely disabled it. (globally, even)

I'm not running any relevant firewall or anything else of the sort.

No Audio, just bgr.

Also, I can still see the first screen of PATV just fine, when I click the PATV tab and look at the 5 or so newest eps and it flashes between them... yeah, that shows up fine. Oddly enough.

Sifeus on
  • BokareisBokareis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have the same problem with PATV on Mac OS X with both Safari and Chrome (most recent versions of OS, browsers and Flash), just a grey background where the movies should be.

While I haven't found a solution, I've discovered a workaround: Take a look at the page source for the episode, find the location of the video file hosted on blip.tv (for example, the name for the last episode is http://blip.tv/play/hPQSgrrfEQA%2Em4v ) and go directly to the linked file - it should play in the browser.

So my guess would be a problem with the way the file is embedded on the PATV site.

Bokareis on
    edited May 2011
    Bokareis wrote: »
    I have the same problem with PATV on Mac OS X with both Safari and Chrome (most recent versions of OS, browsers and Flash), just a grey background where the movies should be.

While I haven't found a solution, I've discovered a workaround: Take a look at the page source for the episode, find the location of the video file hosted on blip.tv (for example, the name for the last episode is http://blip.tv/play/hPQSgrrfEQA%2Em4v ) and go directly to the linked file - it should play in the browser.

So my guess would be a problem with the way the file is embedded on the PATV site.

Hmmm... I'll give this a shot and see where it leads me. Good thinking, regardless.

Sifeus on
  • BokareisBokareis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just a quick update: PATV works fine for me now, the embedded video plays the way it should.

Since the blip.tv site has been redesigned a few days ago I assume they fixed an error on their side and it wasn't a problem with the PATV page.

Sifeus, I'm curious, does it now work for you as well?

Bokareis on
    edited May 2011
    Bokareis, your workaround worked out just fine. Exceptional thinking, mahboy. Thank you for your help.

Also, yes, it works now without monkeying around in code.

Sifeus on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was attempting to view the latest PATV episode on my Eee Pad Transformer (Android 3.1 "Honeycomb") using the default browser (Chrome), Opera Mini, and Firefox Mobile, but could not watch the video on any of those platforms. I have since learned that Mozilla removed or disabled the Flash plugin for their current version, 4.0.1, so forget that.

Chrome plays the advertisement video and then gets stuck on Buffering and never goes anywhere.
    Opera Mini does not even recognize the player (there is just a large, empty space where the player would be).

Goose! on
  • DaralenMantaDaralenManta Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    I'm on Windows 7 x64 Ultimate with the latest Quicktime as well as Flash. I'm using IE9. All I get is a white box with a big blue Quicktime "Q" and occasionally a white question mark over it. If I try to watch it on my administrator account it sends me to this link:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/components.html?os=Windows&ctype=300676f&csubtype=3d7d010

, but it doesn't tell me which codec I need to install. I've already tried installing DivX but it didn't make a difference.

DaralenManta on
  • LschantzLschantz Registered User new member
    edited July 2011
    I am having the same problem where it will not play and all I get is the question mark in the center, does anyone know what the correct plug in is to fix this?

Lschantz on
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I noticed by looking at the page source that on Chrome, none of the PATV embedded videos work if they use the "type=application/futuresplash" designation. When they embed it as "type=application/x-shockwave-flash", those videos work fine. Why the change? All the vids are SWFs or FLVs, so what need do they have to use Futuresplash? Does anyone even USE Futuresplash anymore? The weird thing is that this only happens in Chrome, but the same videos will work in Firefox. I guess the easiest thing for me would be to only use Firefox, as this could be a Chrome bug, but why the inconsistent embedding attribute??

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg