As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAXTrain is over: Share your pictures and stories.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I'll bump this with a question: I was thinking I'd bring MvC3 to play on the train. Should I bring my 360 too, or is that pretty well covered?

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    emperorsargosaemperorsargosa Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My vacation days this year got screwed so unable to make the train. I trust you'll find someone else to join in on the mocking of drunk bastards getting kicked off in the middle of bumfuck northern California.

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    SpaceGhost2KSpaceGhost2K Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I won't be on the train this year. There is a pre-PAX event that I must attend and I've missed it the past two years because the train got in after it was over.

I am the guy who brought the Xbox 360, projector and Rock Band setup for the arcade car. Alas, someone else will have to organize an effort to meet these needs.

Also, to the wonderful girl I've given backrubs to for the past two years, I'm sorry I won't be able to deliver this year. I nominate Mike as a suitable replacement masseuse. :D

SpaceGhost2K on
  • Options
    DhutchDhutch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Woah. Hey. Hey. I'm getting on in LA, for my first time. I have some serious questions.

A) Is there sleep? Do you people find time to pass out at all?

2) How much interaction with the 'outsiders' on the train is there? Any fun stories about other train passengers interacting with the clan?

Gamma) Has anyone gone straight to the Triwizard Drinking Tournament right after? That's my plan and I'm looking for past experiences.

Dhutch on
    Ravenclaw, Dumbledore's Army! CaCAW! 2011 TWDT Winners!
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dhutch wrote: »
    Woah. Hey. Hey. I'm getting on in LA, for my first time. I have some serious questions.

2) How much interaction with the 'outsiders' on the train is there? Any fun stories about other train passengers interacting with the clan?

Gamma) Has anyone gone straight to the Triwizard Drinking Tournament right after? That's my plan and I'm looking for past experiences.

A) If you want to, you *can* but as long as you're in the Obs car, you better be awake.

2) Lots. I've met more than a handful of random nerds who jump in on the fun that AREN'T going to PAX. I've also had some nice conversations with people who are curious about our group plus we've had kids hang around the arcade car setup in the past although it's up in the air as to whom will bring the RB setup now that SpaceGhost won't be bringing his.

Γ) I have no idea.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Adonus76Adonus76 RDJ's Boat HouseRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arikado wrote: »

A) If you want to, you *can* but as long as you're in the Obs car, you better be awake.

2) Lots. I've met more than a handful of random nerds who jump in on the fun that AREN'T going to PAX. I've also had some nice conversations with people who are curious about our group plus we've had kids hang around the arcade car setup in the past although it's up in the air as to whom will bring the RB setup now that SpaceGhost won't be bringing his.

Γ) I have no idea.

A) Better take your shoes off or I'll draw inappropriate things on your face

2) Everyone's family on the PAX Train unless your're a drunken baby, we hate those!

Gamma) Don't see why not, not like you will be sleeping much at PAX at all so better get used to it.

Adonus76 on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Do you want to carry your luggage around during a bar crawl?

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just a quick note that we won't make the train this year. The full sleepers topped 2 grand for the trip up and back- well above every year prior- and I can't take the train without a sleeper unless I also don't want to take my husband. (He has pretty impressive scoliosis.) So we will suck it up and fly this time. Hope to see some of you around.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

A) You can, in fact, sleep on the obs car; just don't expect it to be good sleep or plentiful. I got about 2 hours curled on one of the surprisingly comfortable benches, from 4 to 6 or so, with my earbuds in and my ipod set to something soothing. My back felt like shit, but that was to be expected, and a couple shots of rum fixed that up nicely.

2) This actually ties in to A, for me at least; people were grouchy about us moving up and down the train during the wee hours, understandably so.

Gamma) You will be cutting it very very close to the tournament. Last year's train got in late, but it's still possible that you won't make it even if the train is on time.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I can't sleep in a chair so it is either Obs car or stay up all night. I expect I won't fall asleep till like 3 and be woken up before 7 cause fuck the sun.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Apart from sleep, I cannot overstress the importance of real food. The dining cart is eminently edible, although somewhat expensive. The snack car is microwaved processed imitation food. If you're on a budget, pack food - I've seen people with entire coolers and the staff doesn't say a word against it. If you book a sleeper car you get 3 meals a day in the dining car, so that's one expense built in.

Weenog42 on
  • Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Since we're technically travelling from somewhere on the west coast, and we are technically travelling by train, just thought I'd throw this out there:

-On the way to PAX-

Train: 513 Cascades
    Departs:
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Vac)
    Wednesday August 24, 2011 6:40AM
    Arrives:
    Seattle (Amtrak), Washington (Sea)
    Wednesday August 24, 2011 11:05AM

-On the way back from PAX-

Train: 516 Cascades
    Departs:
    Seattle (Amtrak), Washington (Sea)
    Monday August 29, 2011 6:50PM
    Arrives:
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Vac)
    Monday August 29, 2011 10:50PM

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey, some of you WCTTers might recognize the conductor in the raw feed from KATU Salem this past weekend...

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    YordheimYordheim Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Got my tickets! Gonna be a solid 48 hour trip for me.
    Anyone happen to be on the 3 Southwest Chief on their way to LAX?

Yordheim on
    Vikings > ninjas > pirates
  • Options
    Jenga!Jenga! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wooo! Count 5 more in, from SJ. Most of us have been to PAX before, but this will be our first pax-train...looking forward to meeting you all! :D
    (my movie vote goes for Dr. Horrible even though it's been done. Musicals+nerds=win. Some PATV would be awesome, too...never did buy the set w/commentary *sadface*)

Jenga! on
  • Options
    LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    2 more from chico!

Unfortunately nothing worth eating is open, so I can't really think of any goodies to bring.

EDIT: Shameless plug for roomsharing. Still got 2 spots open if people want to take the train and still need a place to stay.

LordFizzlebeef on
  • Options
    Slipstream0Slipstream0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    2 more from chico!

Unfortunately nothing worth eating is open, so I can't really think of any goodies to bring.

Ill be getting on shortly after you in Redding, but suffer the same problem. I plan to bring a bag or two of fun-size snickers and/or twix. Not fancy or unique, but still tasty!

Slipstream0 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Since we are on the subject of food, what is a good pizza place in Portland that is near the train station and does deliveries?

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gidgetsgidgets Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have created a facebook group for those going on WCTT 2011 :)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_174659255921071

Also, I'm back as photographer :).

@TimeCruiser: You should have people state their names, what stop they're getting on, and what the status of their amtrak ticket is. :)

Name: Jo
    Depart: Emeryville, CA with Bitstream, Zedarius, qapf, and smerk.

gidgets on
  • Options
    HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wheeee, getting all amped up for PAX. :D

I've been off the train for a year, but definitely taking it this year - thankfully, my hotel group *this* year is actually staying in Seattle on the thursday night, rather than staying in SeaTac, so I don't have to skip the train.

Getting on in Albany, OR. So I only get the last 6-8 hours(ish). But hey, train!

HikariStarshine on
  • Options
    MaetrixMaetrix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We're taking the train but from entirely the wrong direction. :) We're training it from Vancouver in the AM on the 24th and returning on the 29th so we can take advantage of the MMT and PPP.

I'm quite giddy about taking the train. I've gone north on the train many moons ago and this will be my first trip southward. The views are usually spectacular and very unlike normal road travel. Plus it should be a nice treat to not have to drive ^.^

-Mætrix-

Maetrix on
    Blog | Twitter | Raptr | BUTTONEER!
    PAX2011 STATUS:"WAS MONDO AWESOME!"
    PAX2012 STATUS:"Is it too soon yet?!"
  • Options
    CirdanCirdan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey, do a lot of you bring laptops on the train? What if we setup a local Minecraft server to mess around on during the trip?

Cirdan on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'll bring a netbook for work/play. I do plan to have Minecraft and Terraria on it. Not sure how'd we get around to setting up a reliable network to run a server on the train for them.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'll bring a netbook for work/play. I do plan to have Minecraft and Terraria on it. Not sure how'd we get around to setting up a reliable network to run a server on the train for them.

The coastal starlight has WiFi, couldn't we just do local play through that network?

Cirdan on
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Depending on how many fancy phones we have on the train, a local hotspot might be possible.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have a spare WiFi router I could bring to set up local networks. It's G, though, so if anybody has an N they could spare, it might be better to have them do it instead.

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cirdan wrote: »

The coastal starlight has WiFi, couldn't we just do local play through that network?

As I understand it, the Coast Starlight's Wi-Fi is available only to the sleeper cars and is sporadic at best.
    polaris314 wrote: »
    Depending on how many fancy phones we have on the train, a local hotspot might be possible.

As a solution to our geeky desire to remain connected to the hive mind as much as possible RCars2 usually provides us with a decent setup for this very task. This includes a wireless router, a netbook laptop with a pedobear sticker on it, and a signal boosting antenna. Just like the past couple years, Rcars will not be joining us on the train and so I'll need to check on the availability of this equipment.

One more thing!

I was talking to TNTrooper the other day. He would like to have enough pizza to feed 50 people delivered to the train during it's 40 minute stop in Portland, Oregon. The pizza would cost around $200 and we are asking for money in advance either as donations through paypal or setting up a store with a PAXTrain logo stamped on a bunch of crap . . . er . . . neat stuff. If we can get the order placed and payment collected before the train leaves then all we have to do is call the pizza place a hour before we get to Portland and let them know if we are on time or not.

So, thoughts? Opinions? Is this a thing we want to do?

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, thoughts? Opinions? Is this a thing we want to do?
    I'm in for this. Are we just trying to feed 'our people" with this pizza or do we want to have some for the train staff and possibly others?

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I am fine with giving some free pizza to Amtrak staff and cool people from the train. Letting parents who think because he have video games we are their bratty kids babysitters think we are feeding their kids for free as well not so much.

The pizza place I got the quote from http://www.roventepizzeria.com/

The around $200 is about $220 and this is for 10 X-Large 18" pizzas assuming we stick to getting Cheese, Pepperoni, Hawaiian, Formaggio/Margherita, or a 2-topping pizza. This is before we factor in tip but I expect there to be people on the train who won't see this and want to pitch in some cash for pizza so we can give the delivery guy a cash tip.

I am going to have a pizza delivered. It's just that if me and some friends split the cost of one pizza there is a good chance a bunch of people will want to join in and calling a place up and saying we need 10 x-large pizzas in 90 minutes will make the pizza guy cry.

The size of the order will be adjusted depending on how much money is collected. If we somehow get an insanely large chunk of cash that I couldn't possibly spend all of it on pizza I got other ideas. Like reimbursing people that bring snacks and soda(anyone got a cooler they want to bring?) or help with the cost of printing T-shirt to help drive the price per-person down a bit. Mike was saying he wanted to do a raffle or I could just write Child's Play a check from the WCTT.

Also this is sorta a test run if it is successful enough I might look into finding a place that we can order dinner for Wednesday night as well next year.

I got some pretty ambitious plans for making sure the is well feed with good food WCTT and this post has made me really fucking hungry.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I'm totally down with giving the staff and any other nice non-PAX people some pizza. I can pay in advance or once I get on the train, up to you.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There will probably be a PayPal link. Maybe a CafePress if you guys want a coffee mug, mouse pad or something.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm definitely up for pitching in for pizza, I'll probably throw in quite a bit. I have the metabolism of a 13 year old cross country runner... Also, a WCTT shirt would be hialrious :P
    I'm Bo on the facebook page, let me know if you get a paypal setup.

Yordheim on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    We do get WCTT T-shirts already and they are awesome. Just look at last years.

the-tees.jpg

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    O.O thats awesome, I'm definitely gonna get one this year.

Yordheim on
  • Options
    LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll throw $20 at this if we can make sure at least one of the pizzas is pepperoni/mushroom.

The superior form of pizza.

Also very interested in a WCTT shirt.

LordFizzlebeef on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'll pitch in, and I want one of those shirts!

Cirdan on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Pizza and t-shirts? Count me in!

Oh, and if we're requesting specific toppings, I'm partial to sausage and bell peppers. I'll eat anything short of anchovies though.

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    T-Shirt Design, Prices, and Advance Orders Coming Soon!

I'll have to light a fire under the fiancée to get some T-Shirt designs up. I think she fears she peaked too early with last years, which is nonsense because she's brilliant.

Weenog42 on
  • Options
    MLORDMLORD Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am getting on in portland and can say that there quite a few great pizza places here local to the train station. Depending on what you guys wanted and the amount of invested money I could organize the getting of said pizza's for all :) Oh and those t-shirts are awesome, deffinately would like one to commemorate my first train trip...

MLORD on
    M.LORD
    Staticwave Entertainment
    AIM DJMLORD2001
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    T-SHIRT DESIGN!!!

Final Version:

pax-WCTT2011.jpg

PRICES:

Men's Sizes:
    S-XL, $8
    XXL $9
    XXXL $10

Ladies Sizes (Ladies cut T)
    S-XL $11
    XXL $12

Okay, declaring cutoff for T-Shirts. I am still accepting paypal, if you did sign up.

Want a T-Shirt but missed the signup?

I have a moderate amount of extras (mostly Mens L). I will distribute these on Thursday after our stop in Portland, which should be around 4:30pm, via some sort of raffle / auction / deathmatch. In the unlikely event that I have too many shirts, some will go to the train staff and any others will be auctioned for Child's Play.

PREPAY:

You can prepay via paypal to weenog42@yahoo.com
    I will accept cash on the train, but paying in advance makes distribution much easier. And since I have to pay the printer in advance, this helps ease my wallet.

Weenog42 on