As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

3rd Annual Post-PAX Party @Jillian's: Featuring Jonny Nero and The Protomen!

• ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I thought my post was pretty clear: there are venues farther than The Garage, that wouldn't be accessible via walking, that are also worth investigating. There would have to be cabs/cars/public transit to get to them, though. So I want to know if attendance would drop sharply if that were the case, or if people don't really care.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, well I thought "a few blocks" was what we were discussing for a limit, which is not cab/transit just for breaking that!

You won't want to require cab/transit no, but you don't need to limit it that close to avoid that.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd like to avoid mass transit if possible to hit the PPP. Walking a few blocks is okay with a group. Buying rail tickets becomes more of an escapade in a large group, and there are more likely to be mistakes on the return route, I'd guess.

Also, thanks for planning this all, Arco. Hoping to go this year with +1. Last year I had to leave PAX early.

Yamara on
    We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • SageheartSageheart Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd definately like to keep it within walking distance of the convention center.

Sageheart on
    Tickets + Flight + Hotel = SEE YOU AT PAX 2012!
    Pre-PAX Dinner | Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament | Post-PAX Party
    2012 Prime Buttoneer (Main | Bonus)
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters, Head Boy - Ravenclaw DE is on Twitter and Facebook!
  • KhanmanKhanman Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Like most modern major cities Seattle has tons of taxis and they are generally very reasonably priced. Going just a few blocks inside the city should be between 6-8 bucks. You shouldn't have a problem finding a taxi to flag down, but if for some reason you do any bar will be happy to call one for you.

Khanman on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I prefer not having to do some sort of transit beyond walking.

Wormdundee on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd also prefer not to have to do anything other than walk. That being said, walking distance for us is ~3 miles, which I'm not sure is typical.

Hypatia on
  • Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If it's more than 3 blocks away, I'll be cabbing it regardless. So it doesn't really matter to me. :) Please, though, somewhere thoroughly wheelchair accessible?

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • ashleyegretashleyegret Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    This is gonna be our first PAX! I work at downtown seattle hotel and saw people attending each year, and this year my hubby is going wit hme the whole weekend. We don't know anyone at PAX and so definitely will be in for Post-PAX party to meet some people and wrap up our weekend. Keeping in walkign distance is nice. It can be difficult to get a cab on Sunday night in Downtown Seattle area.

ashleyegret on
  • ParasiteParasite Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Sounds kool Arco could you send mt details ianyen@hotmail.com thanks man

Parasite on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Parasite wrote: »
    Sounds kool Arco could you send mt details ianyen@hotmail.com thanks man

Huhwhat? You'd like details sent to you via e-mail? /me is confused

Thanks for the encouragement. Still very early in the planning stages and I'm talking to a few different venues to explore our options, which is what the question was about. Like anything, it's a balancing act between drawbacks and benefits. The coolest venue might be five or ten miles away, which might not work. I'm trying to get a feel for people's preferences, and drawing on past events for some anecdotal evidence of how far people are willing to walk.

I'm going to have Moe throw up a poll on distance just to give me some concrete data. Be honest!

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't mind a bit of a walk personally. I've walked to Shorty's & back once during each of the last three PAX's. It's 10-11 blocks so it takes a little while but I'd rather walk for 20 mins to an awesome place then walk 5 mins to a not-so-awesome place.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arco wrote: »
    I thought my post was pretty clear: there are venues farther than The Garage, that wouldn't be accessible via walking, that are also worth investigating. There would have to be cabs/cars/public transit to get to them, though. So I want to know if attendance would drop sharply if that were the case, or if people don't really care.

I would prefer to walk.

I have a vision in my head of a large group of us walking down the street to the Garage singing Still Alive as we go.

PAX was a triumph!
    I'm making a note here.
    Huge success!
    It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

PAX forumers.
    We do what we must because we can!

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • RicinRicin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    I have a vision in my head of a large group of us walking down the street to the Garage singing Still Alive as we go.

PAX was a triumph!
    I'm making a note here.
    Huge success!

PAX forumers.

This is quite possibly the best argument for walking back. although shouldn't we parody the song from Portal 2.

Ricin

Ricin on
  • iguyiguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I realize this may be incredibly early to be asking but I like to plan ahead so in the spirit of the early bird I was wondering roughly when and where the tickets would be available?

iguy on
  • LeevityLeevity Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd prefer to walking somewhere. I'd be willing to walk farther for somewhere nicer though.

Leevity on
    XBL/PSN/Steam: Leevity
  • TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I had the pleasure of meeting Arco and attending the party last year, and for anyone who's on the fence about this -- do it. It was awesome and was one of my favorite parts of my second PAX.

Just don't take my ticket, because I want to go. (And I may have several friends who are interested in going.)

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The walk gives me time to sober up before I get back to my hotel room. Sounds good yo. Last year's PPP was fun as fuck so yeah, I'll be all over this once registration opens up.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ricin wrote: »
    mentok1982 wrote: »

PAX was a triumph!
    I'm making a note here.
    Huge success!

PAX forumers.

This is quite possibly the best argument for walking back. although shouldn't we parody the song from Portal 2.

Ricin

I can't play Portal 2 yet becasue the PSN is down.
    I want to play the single player game first but on my PC but I can't because you need to pop the PS3 disc in and do some stuff before you can download your free PC copy.

Then I want to play the co-op with my friend on the PS3 or the PC.

Hopefully by August I will have played Portal 2 and I will have learned though new song.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Amp300Amp300 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm flying out of SEA at 6:00AM Monday morning after PAX, so I'd have to be at the airport at 4:30AM at the latest. I think this leaves room in my schedule to party it up!

Is this Post-Pax-Party immediately after the closing ceremonies? Would I be able to kill enough time at the party that I could go straight to the airport? (yes, I know it would still be absurdly early in the morning.)

Is there gonna be anything special about getting to the airport from any of the proposed locations for the PPP?

I basically did this last year (although, I actually, crashed on someone's floor from 2:00a.m.-4:00a.m.). Unfortunately, the light rail only runs until midnight, so you have to catch a cab to the airport... which cost about $40. Fortunately, I was able to find someone to split the far with.

If all goes well with the Omegathon this year, I might be doing it again, as my friends are all flying out Sunday at about the same time as the closing ceremonies.

Amp300 on
    y8wmnaI.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2011
    Oh hey, I finally got that poll up

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fear not fellow partiers. I, your resident sailor and expert drunk will be there and if anyone needs a buddy to get to and from the pubs and what not, just keep an eye out for me. :D

Oh, and I'll be staying at the Grand Hyatt so feel free to hit me up if you're looking for someone to go get horribly smashed with.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • nianianianianiania Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I will attend any and all parties.

I will attend them nine times.

nianiania on
    2014 Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament
    Hufflepuff: Death Eaters / Head of House
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    nianiania wrote: »

well try not to run into your other selves, the consequences could be disastrous.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

well try not to run into your other selves, the consequences could be disastrous.

All you have to do is get drunk enough that you won't remember running into yourself when you sober up.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Amy.LukimaAmy.Lukima Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've gone to several parties prior to and during PAX. Is the post party worth sticking around for?

Amy.Lukima on
    <a href="http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=35369">I'm participating in Extra Life. Please consider donating to help kids in need. </a>
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Amy.Lukima wrote: »
    I've gone to several parties prior to and during PAX. Is the post party worth sticking around for?

Absolutely! It's one of the highlights of the trip and an awesome cap to PAX!

Hypatia on
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wanna go just to watch the 9 nianianias make out with one another.

And because Arco is awesome.

And because the PPP is awesome.

But mostly the nianiania thing.

chaosisorder on
  • nianianianianiania Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I nianiania, representative of the order of the nine nias would like to state that we refuse to make out with each other for chaos' benefit.

nianiania on
    2014 Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament
    Hufflepuff: Death Eaters / Head of House
  • afipanicafipanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is my first PAX so I am willing to do a huge meet up at 9 different places 9 times!

afipanic on
    Next PAX: West 2017!
    Flight: [X]
    Lodging: [X]
    Passes: [X]
    Excitement: [10/10]
  • olanmillsolanmills Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I know other people already pointed out that the walk isn't that bad, but just to make it more concrete, The Garage is 0.7 miles away from the convention center. So don't get the wrong impression from the poll when it says that The Garage is "under a few miles from PAX".

Also, I've had work parties at the garage a few times. It's a cool place, definitely an appropriate venue for a post PAX party.

olanmills on
    VmUq7mz.png
  • septagonseptagon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    S
    olanmills wrote: »
    I know other people already pointed out that the walk isn't that bad, but just to make it more concrete, The Garage is 0.7 miles away from the convention center. So don't get the wrong impression from the poll when it says that The Garage is "under a few miles from PAX".

Also, I've had work parties at the garage a few times. It's a cool place, definitely an appropriate venue for a post PAX party.

I think 0.7 is reasonable. The walk back can be a chance to sober up slightly.

septagon on
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Speaking of which, where is the Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament thread?

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • langrilangri Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'll absolutely be going.

Because the PPP is awesome, and Arco is awesome for going through all the work to provide the awesome.

I can't wait to see you all there. :)

langri on
  • DhutchDhutch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Namel3ss wrote: »

Speaking of which, where is the Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament thread?

They haven't posted for this year yet. I've been checking feverishly. Bookending my PAX trip with TWDT and PPP will be amazing. Oh, and 0.7 miles is nothing. BRING IT.

Dhutch on
    Ravenclaw, Dumbledore's Army! CaCAW! 2011 TWDT Winners!
    edited May 2011
    I have never been to the TWDT, when is it (normally, I know this years is not up yet) and is it something you have to buy a ticket for?

Ricin

Ricin on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have never been to the TWDT, when is it (normally, I know this years is not up yet) and is it something you have to buy a ticket for?

Ricin

It's the Thursday before the start of PAX. And no, no ticket required, just sign-up (once Atlas has the thread done) early enough that you land in one of the houses.

Slytherin 4 Life

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited May 2011

Ricin

It's the Thursday before the start of PAX. And no, no ticket required, just sign-up (once Atlas has the thread done) early enough that you land in one of the houses.

Slytherin 4 Life

I am not looking to drink (I am not much for booze personally but I will have a social drink with friends) as a member of a house. I just want to watch the spectacle.

Ricin

Ricin on
  • SilentgreenSilentgreen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I had just moved to Seattle then, and was staying at my friends house across the street from the crescent bar on olive and heard the commotion going on and followed some groups around. Saw a harry potter on a table top, shirtless, at the Chapel. Many laughs were had. I definitely plan on following around this year, or possibly joining in, since i'll be drinking anyway.

Silentgreen on
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Ricin

Slytherin 4 Life

I am not looking to drink (I am not much for booze personally but I will have a social drink with friends) as a member of a house. I just want to watch the spectacle.

Ricin

I don't want this to sound mean, but the point of a pub crawl isn't to have a bunch of people snickering at the "spectacle". Its a group of people who want to get to know each other and have a good time. There will be more than enough people who actually want to go.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.