As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PATV] Kris and Scott's Scott and Kris Show

ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Social Entropy++
krisandscott101-splash.jpg

This was a really good idea. Also, they are apparently trying to get funding together to make an entire series.

Thetheroo on

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wish to subscribe to their newsletter

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I want Kris talking about his father to become a running joke.

Thetheroo on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    I like what Kris and Scott do, but the whole idea of Kickstarter really bugs me.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am so glad a thread was made for this, because I am so glad that this is a thing that exists.

I haven't laughed this hard since the Blamination finale. I don't know what it is about the Scott/Kris super-friendship, but it makes me laugh like nothing else.

I think I need to watch this again.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This needs to happen.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    I like what Kris and Scott do, but the whole idea of Kickstarter really bugs me.

Why?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited May 2011
    I don't like the whole model of "throw money at us and you get paid back in the satisfaction of seeing us complete our project!" This isn't an investment as you'll never get paid back. I find that incredibly tacky. Hey internet, give me money so I can do this thing I want to do! I realize it works. I realize people are entitled to throw money at projects via Kickstarter. I'm just expressing how I feel about it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't like the whole model of "throw money at us and you get paid back in the satisfaction of seeing us complete our project!" This isn't an investment as you'll never get paid back. I find that incredibly tacky. Hey internet, give me money so I can do this thing I want to do! I realize it works. I realize people are entitled to throw money at projects via Kickstarter. I'm just expressing how I feel about it.

what? but you also get paid back in terms of tangible benefits

also it isn't marketed as being an "investment," it's just a means for people to support one another in their creative endeavors

I don't really understand

anyway this is great and kickstarter is great and I really like this and I hope it wildly succeeds

Charles Kinbote on
  • ninesecondsleftninesecondsleft AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    People like me 'invest' if they receive toys, dvds, random stuff. Kickstarter lets you hookup with some sweet prizes.

However, for this project. I would have helped fund even without that! I'm excited :D.

ninesecondsleft on
    ~gogo 3DS!
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was just going to make this thread. Someone give me 10000 so I can have dinner with Scott and Kris

Bucketman on
    edited May 2011
    I will say, though, that the whole "get dinner/date with the creators" thing is pretty common on kickstarter, and kinda weirds me out

by all means, good on Kris and Scott for offering it, but I've always wondered who that appeals to

edit: heh! timing.

Charles Kinbote on
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love these guys and would love to see more of these. The episode of PATV that they did was fantastic. ("It's called padding. And it's illegal.")

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I laughed

morbid oneupmanship and acupuncture boner are pretty funny

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't lie, if I had a choice between this and PATV, I'd have to go with this

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I don't think I've ever seen anyone pitch anything on there as an investment, nor have I seen many instances of getting paid back in satisfaction.

What I have seen is something like "Pledge <reasonable amount to pay for a DVD> and we'll send you a DVD of the thing." Which is what we're looking at here. I can pledge roughly what a DVD of this series would be worth to me, and I get a DVD at the end of it. If they don't raise enough, then hey, no skin off my ass and no money out of my pocket.

Sure, you'll sometimes see a "Let's raise enough money to buy back the rights to Firefly" or something, but that's not Kickstarter's fault. That's just stupid people being stupid.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • PedantophilePedantophile Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not much different than public radio in a lot of respects. I know people get annoyed by pledge-drives, but I don't think it's particularly tacky.

I guess I could understand this more if they were some unknown quantity.

Pedantophile on
    "Considering what your people did to my people during WWII I think a little kissing and breast fondling to be minor reparations, at best."
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

it reminds me of the kids who beg for money on street corners for their football teams or whatever

except in this case, at least you get to see something cool at the end

you're never gonna see those kids play football

Quoth on
    edited May 2011
    First of all, I never claimed that Kickstarter pitches it as an investment.

To clarify a little more, this resonates with something I read recently on "gamer culture". It coalesced thoughts I'd had before about how it tends to be very obsessive about what it loves (what entertains if you will) and not caring nearly as much about what falls outside those narrow interests. Of course, I'm speaking about a trend. I don't doubt that there are gamers that are involved in society in other ways, but there is in my opinion a trend to become obsessively devoted to something one finds entertaining and justifying investing time and/or money into keeping a beloved cartoon on the air.

Public radio (in my opinion of course) provides a much broader and more meaningful service to the public than a comedy web series. This isn't a slam on how funny Scott and Kris are, I love the dudes. I just find it interesting how gamer culture will rally around something relatively trivial like this.

That's the last I'll say on it so feel free to spin what I've said to make it easier to attack it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    but Kickstarter isn't just a gamer thing

And while I agree that gamer culture tends to get weird and obsessive about arbitrary things, I don't really understand how that's a criticism of Kickstarter.

Sure, there may be things that we consider to be more important than some things on the site, but that isn't really Kickstarter's problem, and if you don't want to put money toward it, you don't have to.

I guess I don't understand where your issue with the company itself comes in? It provides an outlet for people looking to have their project funded by others, I don't really see how someone could construe that negatively.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Didn't Scott blow up at someone for doing that exactly?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Like I'm fairly sure Scott had this whole thing about indie game developers begging for charity or am I remembering wrong

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    edited May 2011
    wow 3 people have already given $1,000-2,499

gosh

Charles Kinbote on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011

To clarify a little more, this resonates with something I read recently on "gamer culture". It coalesced thoughts I'd had before about how it tends to be very obsessive about what it loves (what entertains if you will) and not caring nearly as much about what falls outside those narrow interests. Of course, I'm speaking about a trend. I don't doubt that there are gamers that are involved in society in other ways, but there is in my opinion a trend to become obsessively devoted to something one finds entertaining and justifying investing time and/or money into keeping a beloved cartoon on the air.

Public radio (in my opinion of course) provides a much broader and more meaningful service to the public than a comedy web series. This isn't a slam on how funny Scott and Kris are, I love the dudes. I just find it interesting how gamer culture will rally around something relatively trivial like this.

That's the last I'll say on it so feel free to spin what I've said to make it easier to attack it.

If you think public radio provides a much more meaningful service, then you are welcome to give them money instead of a comedy web series.

But what if someone doesn't listen to public radio but enjoys a comedy web series? Why shouldn't they be allowed to choose where they put their own money?

My interpretation of what you're saying is that you don't think people should be spending money on what you don't believe to be a worthwhile use of money. But how would you react if someone told you that buying games isn't providing enough of a public service and that you should be spending your money on something else? Wouldn't it bother you that some one else is telling you how they think you should be spending your own money?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man

I really hate the Reebok ad that sometimes runs before videos. I don't know why, it just really annoys me.

Langly on
    edited May 2011
    wow 3 people have already given $1,000-2,499

gosh

Mike, Jerry and Khoo?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    yeah, dru, not to be all "your opinion is wrong", but in this case your opinion is entirely wrong

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • TenTen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kris has also pledged to his own project (since I guess it's officially Vantage Point running the Kickstarter project) so he might also be one of the big pledgers.

I'd love to throw more money at this and get some of those extra goodies but my $50 will have to do. Also I think Kickstarter is pretty awesome, the end.

Ten on
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i think kris is the funniest something or other I have seen on the internet

Franko on
  • PedantophilePedantophile Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Geek wrote: »

If you think public radio provides a much more meaningful service, then you are welcome to give them money instead of a comedy web series.

But what if someone doesn't listen to public radio but enjoys a comedy web series? Why shouldn't they be allowed to choose where they put their own money?

My interpretation of what you're saying is that you don't think people should be spending money on what you don't believe to be a worthwhile use of money. But how would you react if someone told you that buying games isn't providing enough of a public service and that you should be spending your money on something else? Wouldn't it bother you that some one else is telling you how they think you should be spending your own money?
    Or you could be awesome and give to both.

For the record, I don't value my public radio station the same as I value this. I was just using their model as a comparison.

Pedantophile on
    "Considering what your people did to my people during WWII I think a little kissing and breast fondling to be minor reparations, at best."
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Everyone give money to public radio dang.

Langly on
    edited May 2011
    I will give money to public radio when I start listening to public radio

so probably a couple years from now

Charles Kinbote on
    edited May 2011
    IIIII didn't know kris did chainsawsuit

like, I hadn't put that together

I only knew that he did starslip and that I had never read starslip

feelin' dumb

Charles Kinbote on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    He has also started F-Chords again.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

'Gamer culture' is not the only culture to behave like that, though. Ever been to a railway modellers convention? Now there's an obsession that causes tunnel vision...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • SvidrigailovSvidrigailov Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Franko wrote: »
    i think kris is the funniest something or other I have seen on the internet
    I don't think I've ever not been amused by something he was in.

Which reminds me, I need to start listening to that Malki/Straub podcast.

Svidrigailov on
    Neither the whole of truth nor the whole of good is revealed to any single observer, although each observer gains a partial superiority of insight from the peculiar position in which he stands. It is enough to ask of each of us that he should be faithful to his own opportunities and make the most of his own blessings, without presuming to regulate the rest of the vast field.
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah i mean some people are incredibly obsessed about crochet.

And there are people who are also all about scrap booking.

And then, theres boggle.

260493.jpg

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gettin in on this!

Hopefully I get home before all the arts are gone.

rhylith on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I threw on my 25 bucks. That's probably about the same price the DVD would be, so it's just like a pre-preorder.

The_Reflection on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2011
    Ignoring Dru being objectively wrong in this thread for a moment, the line about dogs cracked me up.

A duck! on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The fireball was too funny.

DekuStick on
This discussion has been closed.