As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[L.A Noire] - Phelps, you didn't use spoiler tags! You're a loose cannon!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Got four trophies off a single case

Finding every clue, correctly branching every line of interrogation, firing a warning shot to apprehend a perp, and getting five stars

I feel like such a boss

EDIT: Also, Lunker, this game is in no way a meandering open world game. There's a pretty strict mission structure, once you finish one, fade to black and another case narrative starts up.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »

Finding every clue, correctly branching every line of interrogation, firing a warning shot to apprehend a perp, and getting five stars

I feel like such a boss

EDIT: Also, Lunker, this game is in no way a meandering open world game. There's a pretty strict mission structure, once you finish one, fade to black and another case narrative starts up.

Yeah, this is the impression I'm getting, which is fantastic for my tastes.

It might be hard to peg it, but how much of the game is action gunplay versus the slower, methodical, cop procedural detective elements? The vibe I'm getting from Giant Bomb is that the gunplay is almost sort of a minigame/side dish, and the inspections and interrogations are the real main course.

EDIT: Fuck it, it's ordered from Amazon! $20 promo credit makes it effectively $40 for me, since I'm using promo credit anyway! :D I got the PS3 version.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, you can skip the radio calls mini cases, and there's even an option to skip action sequences if you fail them a lot. Action can almost be completely avoided in this game.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    the only trouble I've had so far are a couple occasions where I know the person is lieing and I think the evidence I have works for it but the game logic says no and that I should have instead hit doubt so maybe i'll miss a question here or there in an interview but overall I'm doing quite well and currently have a 4star average.

you kinda have to figure out the logic the game uses which isn't always what i'd use but like i said it hasn't really been a big deal so far. You definitely have to let go of the whole "games have been training me to only ever accept right answers for the past 20 years" because the game keeps going no matter what.

This has been my issue too.

Early game spoiler:
    When you are interrogating the jewelry store owner about the murder, you bring up the fact that the victim hated jews (the store owner is jewish). After he goes into his spiel, you have the option to doubt or say he's lying. I said he was lying because the witness told me about the religious issues...but that was the incorrect choice. I was supposed to pick doubt...that one confused me.

Basically, there have been several times so far where I have some kind of evidence that is contrary to what the POI says, so I say they're lying and bring up that evidence. Nope sorry, should have doubted them.

I don't get it though, Doubt is supposed to be when you DON'T have evidence.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Heir wrote: »
    the only trouble I've had so far are a couple occasions where I know the person is lieing and I think the evidence I have works for it but the game logic says no and that I should have instead hit doubt so maybe i'll miss a question here or there in an interview but overall I'm doing quite well and currently have a 4star average.

you kinda have to figure out the logic the game uses which isn't always what i'd use but like i said it hasn't really been a big deal so far. You definitely have to let go of the whole "games have been training me to only ever accept right answers for the past 20 years" because the game keeps going no matter what.

Early game spoiler:
    When you are interrogating the jewelry store owner about the murder, you bring up the fact that the victim hated jews (the store owner is jewish). After he goes into his spiel, you have the option to doubt or say he's lying. I said he was lying because the witness told me about the religious issues...but that was the incorrect choice. I was supposed to pick doubt...that one confused me.

Basically, there have been several times so far where I have some kind of evidence that is contrary to what the POI says, so I say they're lying and bring up that evidence. Nope sorry, should have doubted them.

Agreed. That, and some hard-to-read faces have been my only stumbling blocks so far. Great, unexpected, game. It feels like Police Quest 2011.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Early game spoiler:

I'm beginning to think the Doubt option hurts the game more than helps it.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Lunker wrote: »

I feel like such a boss

Yeah, this is the impression I'm getting, which is fantastic for my tastes.

It might be hard to peg it, but how much of the game is action gunplay versus the slower, methodical, cop procedural detective elements? The vibe I'm getting from Giant Bomb is that the gunplay is almost sort of a minigame/side dish, and the inspections and interrogations are the real main course.

EDIT: Fuck it, it's ordered from Amazon! $20 promo credit makes it effectively $40 for me, since I'm using promo credit anyway! :D I got the PS3 version.

Very much a side dish

The street crime cases seem to have a lot more gunplay involved, but through seven story cases now I've had like... three shootouts total, I think.

It's also seeming like it's possible that these action scenes may depend on how well your case goes. If you're nailing every clue and interrogation, it seems like you might be able to see different action scenes.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I'd like to see a good explanation of when to use what. There's way too many "one right answer" moments, when the game has given you what seems like a multitude of good options. I'd like more freedom and branching paths and much less reliance on one strike and you are out attempts to guess exactly what the programmers had in mind.

It strikes me as a throwback to the old days of adventure gaming, when there was always one "right" way to solve a problem and any alternative "right" ways were ignored. As others have noted, this tendency and the resulting frustration are one of the reasons that the genre largely died out.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As for star ratings and getting the "right" answers, I agree with Hardtarget here.
    if only more people did, the world would be a happier place ;)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Stupid server issues caused me to post twice.

SammyF on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Early game spoiler:

I've actually had way better luck by thinking of "Truth" as "Good Cop" and "Doubt" as "Bad Cop". Do I think a suspect would react better to sympathy or laying the hammer down, basically. That way if I get it wrong, I can justify it as going about it the wrong way, as opposed to yelling at the game for not knowing what I meant.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Early game spoiler:

I've had a couple issues with it, but outside of a few outlier problem spots which have mostly been the result of me cold-reading a subject, it's been smooth sailing for me. What I noticed early on is that the way the three options are named doesn't really define adequately what those options should be used for. The difference between Truth and Doubt actually has nothing to do with the factuality of the subject's statements, for instance. It's really more about whether you think the subject is answering the question in good faith or bad faith. A subject answering a statement in good faith may give you a half-truth as an answer because he's eliding out those parts of the answer which he thinks are unimportant. A subject answering in bad faith may give you a half-truth as an answer because he's eliding out those parts of the answer which he thinks are either personally embarrassing or which might otherwise implicate himself or another person either in this crime or in some other offense.

Bizarrely, in both cases you can feasibly hear the exact same answer delivered verbatim in response to the exact same question, but you have to handle each answer differently.

edit: In response to the above post, especially in those situations where you are interviewing a potential victim I do not recommend viewing one option as "good cop" and the other as "bad cop." The options are not about your approach as the interrogator, they're about how you interpret the motivations behind the answers given to you by the subject.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    one issue i had on silk stockings, and this sin't really a spoiler so i'm gonna keep it open, is that the perso I was interviewing said no to something because I had thought it surprised her and she didn't know about it yet so I said truth because she was telling the truth.

what the game wanted me to do instead, I think, was say lie and then show her the evidence that proves she's wrong, even though she didn't know about it yet. So little things like that are kinda annoying but I still 4 starred the case.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, Silk Stockings was a 4-star for me because there was a whole "crime scene" (area with lots of clues) I never even saw before catching the baddie.

I dunno, I actually can't wait to get out of Homicide. Getting tired of ladies getting beat up by tire irons. Traffic was a more interesting desk, traffic.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    one issue i had on silk stockings, and this sin't really a spoiler so i'm gonna keep it open, is that the perso I was interviewing said no to something because I had thought it surprised her and she didn't know about it yet so I said truth because she was telling the truth.

what the game wanted me to do instead, I think, was say lie and then show her the evidence that proves she's wrong, even though she didn't know about it yet. So little things like that are kinda annoying but I still 4 starred the case.

Jog my memory, was that the one where the vic was a Sally in the Alley?

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

See, this actually goes contrary to something I tried in the first real case,
    The one where the guy fakes his death, the glasses you find at the scene are home repaired. His wife specifically mentions that he left the house wearing new glasses, so I tried Lie to present the home repaired glasses to her, but it was no go.

Obviously, I figured later on that it was because he did actually wear his new glasses and left his old glasses there, but that flies in the face of your later experience.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    PlasticLackPlasticLack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Don't have the game yet, but this is supposedly how they explain it in the manual, which seems to be helpful:

TRUTH - Be kind, assume they are telling the truth and coax more info out of them.
    DOUBT - Be forceful, accusatory, and scare them into telling you more.
    LYING - You have hard evidence. Prove them wrong.

PlasticLack on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    One thing I'm fighting with is my instinct the pause -> quit -> resume whenever I fuck up an interview. It completely kills the flow of the game and the whole impressive immersive "do your own casework" feel they got going for shutting down leads, revisiting the crime scene again and the like. But, hearing that goddamn failure audio cue, or seeing "Correct 1/4" just tweaks me.

But so does replaying a scene over and over again, so, welp. I might have issues.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Don't have the game yet, but this is supposedly how they explain it in the manual, which seems to be helpful:

TRUTH - Be kind, assume they are telling the truth and coax more info out of them.

That's how they explain it in the manual, but it's not actually helpful. Some people approach the questioning phase of the game like they're playing a Bioware RPG and they're just picking between an obviously nice-guy approach and the obviously bad-guy approach depending on what they think their character would do. What you're actually supposed to be doing is interpreting the subject's response.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    One thing I'm fighting with is my instinct the pause -> quit -> resume whenever I fuck up an interview. It completely kills the flow of the game and the whole impressive immersive "do your own casework" feel they got going for shutting down leads, revisiting the crime scene again and the like. But, hearing that goddamn failure audio cue, or seeing "Correct 1/4" just tweaks me.

But so does replaying a scene over and over again, so, welp. I might have issues.

Actually, I think one of the things that they did right is that even if you flub up your investigation, things keep moving and the investigation just changes. I mucked up a lot of the interrogations in my last case, but that just meant the flow of the case changed and I got to hear different conversations.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    SammyF wrote: »

ya -
    it's the one with the really long blood trail at the crime scene that goes up onto the buildings and then it turns into this crazy religious chick, and you find her charm bracelet locked in a box at the fruit stand place
    it was actually a really cool case because the game almost wants you to fuck up -
    at first the fruit stand is closed so you have to come back later, so you go to the police station to look at new evidence and then your captain says it's time to go interview the husband and if you walk out of the police station even your partner will rag on you about not doing your job, you have to choose to go to the bar and then to the fruit stand to do the case properly
    i think it's very interesting that the game has now had multiple times where it tries to trap you/trick you into nabbing the wrong guy.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Actually, I think one of the things that they did right is that even if you flub up your investigation, things keep moving and the investigation just changes. I mucked up a lot of the interrogations in my last case, but that just meant the flow of the case changed and I got to hear different conversations.

I need to hear that, actually. Thinking I might just turn off audio cues and try and do all cases from now on cold, because I know the game is designed to let you fuck up interviews/miss clues and still catch the baddie, still have a good flow.

Basically I want you to yell at me for indulging in some horrible gaming aspergers and just play it normal. :?

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

The problem is sometimes you have evidence, but the game wants you to choose Doubt anyways.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

See, this actually goes contrary to something I tried in the first real case,
    The one where the guy fakes his death, the glasses you find at the scene are home repaired. His wife specifically mentions that he left the house wearing new glasses, so I tried Lie to present the home repaired glasses to her, but it was no go.

Obviously, I figured later on that it was because he did actually wear his new glasses and left his old glasses there, but that flies in the face of your later experience.

I'm not sure it does contradict. Like, at all. For one thing, in the earlier case
    The statement never contradicted the evidence. She says he had new glasses. The existence of new glasses doesn't preclude the existence of old glasses. In fact, unless it's your first pair, everyone with a brand new pair of glasses is buying that new pair to replace an old pair for one reason or another.

And in the later case
    I answered the question the exact same way Target did and got it wrong. I'm not sure Lie was the right response; it might have been doubt. I expect Phelp's line either way would have gone, "So you expect me to believe you've been here all morning and you didn't hear the window being shattered upstairs?"

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

The problem is sometimes you have evidence, but the game wants you to choose Doubt anyways.

If you choose Lie, the dialogue will give you a good idea if what you're about to present will work, and if it suddenly seems like you don't have evidence for what you just said (Mass Effect syndrome!), you can back out without choosing any evidence.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

ya -
    it's the one with the really long blood trail at the crime scene that goes up onto the buildings and then it turns into this crazy religious chick, and you find her charm bracelet locked in a box at the fruit stand place
    it was actually a really cool case because the game almost wants you to fuck up -
    at first the fruit stand is closed so you have to come back later, so you go to the police station to look at new evidence and then your captain says it's time to go interview the husband and if you walk out of the police station even your partner will rag on you about not doing your job, you have to choose to go to the bar and then to the fruit stand to do the case properly
    i think it's very interesting that the game has now had multiple times where it tries to trap you/trick you into nabbing the wrong guy.

That was my best case so far. Five stars, one missed question (same one you mentioned earlier), all evidence found, $8 in property damage. I loved that case.

I'm spoilering this for everyone but especially for you, Hard Target: don't read this if you're planning on playing through that case again and want to be surprised:
    You can actually interrogate the husband without charging him. His story holds up. Moreover, if you've interviewed him prior to confronting the guy at the fruit stand, you gain some evidence that is later corroborated by the fruit stand guy, which will probably be useful later when hunting the real serial killer.

SammyF on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So looking around the internet, it seems the two cut desks were Burglary and Fraud. I see some musing that they may be DLC but no official word anywhere so that's probably just hopeful thinking (especially since desks seem to have 3-6 cases, and going by the preorder case filesize, cases can be around half a gig).

Though I suppose it depends on the reason they were cut. If it was a time issue and they already filmed all the actors and everything, then I can definitely see them wanting to finish them up and release them, because I imagine those recording sessions weren't cheap.
    If the acting for those desks never got to the recording stage, though, I imagine they probably won't be making it.

Lars on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    And in the later case
    I answered the question the exact same way Target did and got it wrong. I'm not sure Lie was the right response; it might have been doubt. I expect Phelp's line either way would have gone, "So you expect me to believe you've been here all morning and you didn't hear the window being shattered upstairs?"
    hm I was assuming you had to choose lie
    and then show her the fence iron that had been used to break the windows as the evidence
    . I'll definitely have to replay the various cases once I beat the game.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Yeah, that part irks me probably more than anything. Seems entirely random.

The Golden Butterfly Spoilers
    I got two stars instead of four/five stars on this one because of the whole Doubt/Lie distinction. I screwed up one, maybe two questions through all of the interviews, but it all comes down to the final question with Rooney. I correctly doubted his first and second statements, and even got the truth statement correct for the rope, however the final question, on which the entire case rests, makes no damn sense.

Ok, we have Rooney, with a personal effect of the victim, near the victim's car, tied to the conveniently placed overalls and murder weapon(s), and a history of preying on children / the vulnerable. We also know that he doesn't seem to respond well to violence, given his rather flippant and dismissive attitude towards his "roughing up" before you get into the interrogation room. But somehow, someway, you're not supposed to use any of the evidence to nail him for the murder, you're supposed to doubt/be aggressive with him? What about finding out his shoe size? What about checking his alibi? Fingerprints on the murder weapon?

No, I'm magically supposed to just doubt him, thereby securing a conviction. Not because of logic, but because the slight variation in his facial ticks from lie to doubt tell me to.

One question. One logical response leads to 2 stars (and a forced wrong conviction), the other, less logical one to 4+ stars and a correct conviction. It's crazy making :x

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Really enjoying this game so far, just got up to Homicide. The "tells" you get from interviews are a bit easy to pick out so far,
    Seriously, just look at the witness after they're done speaking, if they're looking off to their right (your left) and shifting around, they're hiding something. Every. Time.
    though I can agree that it's sometimes hard to pick between lie and doubt.

Also, I just wanted to mention that this game looks absolutely amazing in black and white. It looks good in color, don't get me wrong, and I'm playing through my first time in color, but there's just something about the color/texture/lighting of the skin in this game that makes the color version look not quite as real.

I was playing in black and white for a bit, and a friend walked in and asked what I was watching.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And in the later case
    hm I was assuming you had to choose lie
    and then show her the fence iron that had been used to break the windows as the evidence
    . I'll definitely have to replay the various cases once I beat the game.
    Supposed to use the broken window - I never got around to asking anyone about the Iron and still 5-starred the case.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I need to hear that, actually. Thinking I might just turn off audio cues and try and do all cases from now on cold, because I know the game is designed to let you fuck up interviews/miss clues and still catch the baddie, still have a good flow.

Basically I want you to yell at me for indulging in some horrible gaming aspergers and just play it normal. :?

"So, you messed up a case Frosty. Picked the wrong option. What now?"
    Frosty paused, thinking. His lip twitched, and he glanced over at the TV. "I'll just drop to the main menu and-"
    "Wrong." I watched his eyes. After a moment, he nodded his agreement.
    "You're right, sure, yeah. If I did that, I'd just get annoyed at repeating the case over and over. So what should I do?"
    "You're asking me what you should do?" I set my scotch on the bar and walked through the haze toward him.
    "You heard me. You're the smart guy, yeah? You tell me what I should do." He was talking tough, but I could see he was already sweating.
    "Fine, I'll tell you," I said. Then I slapped him across the mouth. He looked like he'd been shot.
    "What the f-" I slapped him again. His face started turning red. After a minute he started breathing again. I turned my back and went to rescue the scotch. The bartender looked nervous, and I thought he might start cleaning my glass before I was done cleaning it.
    "What the hell is your problem, mack?!" Frosty was mad, shouting mad now that he had his composure back.
    "What's your problem, Frosty? You hate repeating cases, but you can't let go of this obsession with a 5-star rating. You're like the dame I went out with last week. Hair was so perfect, she was afraid to swing with me for fear of mussing it... you know what she did all night, Frosty?"
    "Got drunk wondering why she went dancing with a loser like you?"
    "Maybe, but she also sat in a corner and watched me have a good time. That's what you're doing, Frosty, fussing with your hair while the rest of us swing."
    "Yeah? Yeah... maybe you're right. But what do I do?" I could hear he was thinking it over. It was a start. I finished my scotch and slid the glass at the bartender.
    "Stop being obsessive and enjoy the damned game!"

He didn't reply. I left without looking back. It was the best either of us could expect, but I knew he'd come around. Maybe even do the same for me.

Minus the slap in the mouth.

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    holy crap: http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/20127883-ps3s-shutting-themselves-off-while-playing-l-a-noire
    Question: My PS3 turns itself off when I am playing L.A. Noire. What can I do?

Answer: We have received some reports of PS3s overheating while playing L.A. Noire or beeping three times before shutting down/turning themselves off, mostly on older 60GB and 80GB fat models.

Primary reports seem to be that updating to firmware 3.61 will cause PlayStations to overheat. There have been various reports of this on a few different games now, all reporting their PS3s turning off or "Red Lighting" after having installed 3.61. This can range from games randomly freezing to PS3s turning off anywhere between 30 mins use to 2 hours. We have confirmed locally that multiple games (Rockstar and non-Rockstar) overheat or freeze only when 3.61 is installed.

At this time we are recommending contacting Sony directly to report the overheating issue. However, this is not the end of our support; we are continuing to test L.A. Noire on all firmware versions and hardware models to isolate the issues and see what can be done. As always, we will update this article as soon as we have updates.
    glad I went with eh 360 version since my PS3 is one of those old bc 80gig ones

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I just have to say, I replayed Traffic Case 1 after going to bed kind of dissapointed, kind of frustrated, and kind of bummed about this game. I messed up all the interrogations, and just felt like I was being pushed through the game - Cole being an idiot didnt matter, the bad guy gets caught anyway.

I could NOT be more wrong.

Replaying that case just now, I had a blast. Even KNOWING certain lines of questioning (only like 4 right answers in the whole thing), it was still amazing. Watching the face closely, looking for tells, I realized this is not like any game. Not everyone is hiding something. In fact, most aren't. Most good crooks tell the truth simply by omitting some things, and its a mind game. I hit truth more than I EVER anticipated, and it opened up a whole world.

The case the second time through had a totally different way of GETTING to the ending (while the actual end was the same, new cutscenes, new questions, new dialogue), and I felt like the biggest badass cop ever.

I had choices I didnt even know EXISTED on playthrough number 1. I am going to have so much fun replaying the cases Ive already done, and moving forward from there. Just letting the chips fall. I finally feel like I "get" interrogations. They arent about over thinking it. They arent really about the "game". They're honest to goodness about watching a guy speak, staring him down, and using your real life human gut. Its awesome.

The sound of the all questions asked, all clues found, and 5 star achievements popping was so soothing.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm really enjoying this game, but I don't like the doubt option.

I think it'd be a little better if it were more like PW where you basically just have to point out where they're lying with contradictory evidence.

Winky on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The most frustrating situation I had with DOUBT was in the Tarledson Case:
    The first question Mr. Tarledson says is "Why would ANYONE want to hurt her. . .", and his eyes dart around. So I'm like "Oh - so she must have pissed off the wrong person, but I don't have evidence of any prior scuffles". Doubt. BZZT. Correct response is to accuse the man of lying, and present as evidence the three-braided rope on his boat.

The way the question is set up, and his inflection makes you think the Missus has some drama in her past, not that "Oh you have access to rope - you could have done it".

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So I just have to say, I replayed Traffic Case 1 after going to bed kind of dissapointed, kind of frustrated, and kind of bummed about this game. I messed up all the interrogations, and just felt like I was being pushed through the game - Cole being an idiot didnt matter, the bad guy gets caught anyway.

I could NOT be more wrong.

Replaying that case just now, I had a blast. Even KNOWING certain lines of questioning (only like 4 right answers in the whole thing), it was still amazing. Watching the face closely, looking for tells, I realized this is not like any game. Not everyone is hiding something. In fact, most aren't. Most good crooks tell the truth simply by omitting some things, and its a mind game. I hit truth more than I EVER anticipated, and it opened up a whole world.

The case the second time through had a totally different way of GETTING to the ending (while the actual end was the same, new cutscenes, new questions, new dialogue), and I felt like the biggest badass cop ever.

I had choices I didnt even know EXISTED on playthrough number 1. I am going to have so much fun replaying the cases Ive already done, and moving forward from there. Just letting the chips fall. I finally feel like I "get" interrogations. They arent about over thinking it. They arent really about the "game". They're honest to goodness about watching a guy speak, staring him down, and using your real life human gut. Its awesome.

The sound of the all questions asked, all clues found, and 5 star achievements popping was so soothing.

Glad it's clicking for you. :) Out of curiosity, did a lot of people approach that case with a theory of the crime which ended up being incorrect? I've been wondering because a lot of people have said they botched one particular question during that case, and I can't think of any reasoning for a player to take the interrogation in that direction unless he was under the mistaken impression that the witness in question was actually the primary suspect.

SammyF on
  • Options
    TenexTenex Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spent several hours playing this game since release and so far, I'm having a blast. Couple things though: anytime I spend more than 30 seconds driving, I'm bombarded with the street crimes. This was just me driving around in the open world, enjoying the scenery, discovering landmarks, "commandeering" good citizen's vehicles to unlock them, and etc. during a single case. NO I don't care if somebody's robbing a bank 30 miles across the city, STOP bombarding me with these radio calls.

Also, I just can't tell when to accuse with Doubt or Lie. The NPCs sure have their own way of a "tell" when they have something to hide, but as to how I can accuse? Not so clear.

A quick question: for those who have the PS3 version, there would be no way to download any of these DLCs that the game came with since the PS Store is still offline, correct?

Tenex on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You could always not respond to radio calls

tofu on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm this close to just ignoring the calls myself. They always come up when you're a block away from your next case spot, they're always miles away in the exact opposite direction, and they always play out the same exact way for each and every one of them. It's like they took a page out of Assassin's Creed when making them.

Just ignore them and do them in free roam if you must.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
This discussion has been closed.