The holiday hangout will go online tomorrow! If there's anything in the regular subforums that you're going to want to access over the holidays, copy it now while it's still accessible.
Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Once I formed Scandinavia I wasn't prevented from re-forming Sweden. And then back again. I could if I wanted get infinite prestige/centralization/merchants/tax base bonuses. Should probably stop that. :P

Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    [size=+2]Excerpts from The Rule of King Louis V de Vermandois, by Lucas R. Hodgson, Ph.D.[/size]
    [size=+1]1470 - 1477: The War for Lorraine, and Initial Misteps
    [/size]
    Spoiler:

elvenshae2_zps569236d5.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The FATE of the Rebellion PBP
    FotR on Obsidian Portal
    edited May 2011
    I'm enjoying both the writing and the newbieness of this update. Let's watch as Elvenshae learns what's going on!

Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    edited May 2011
    Thanks. :D

You should've seen the lightbulb that went off when I figured out why I couldn't adjust my monthly spend on research. I figured I had to invent some new piece of tech that would allow me to mint or something.

Nope, turns out the slider was just locked.

FotR on Obsidian Portal
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yes, the AI isn't very good with peace offers.

Also, the way taxes work you're almost guranteed negative income every month. You get a bunch of money on the 1st of every year. It's actually 12x the amount you 'make' every month, but the taxes you get every month are immediately invested in research (or the treasury instead).

And loading EU3 without the mod shouldn't let you load the save game. The map cache and flagfiles are also held separately in the mod's folders, so it shouldn't impact anything. If you had the explorers going through terra incognita on their way back they could easily have died from attrition (since it takes significantly longer to enter undiscovered areas).

Join the Crew: Sink to the level of sinking those trying to sink us.
    PR-SH3-sig2.gif
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Thanks. :D

You should've seen the lightbulb that went off when I figured out why I couldn't adjust my monthly spend on research. I figured I had to invent some new piece of tech that would allow me to mint or something.

Nope, turns out the slider was just locked.

Ah, yes, you always lock that slider because while you can often want to switch tech, you less rarely want to change minting, and in certain cases like researching stab 3, the game will reallocate funds to unlocked sliders and you don't want that to change it either (and end up with 100% mint for a year!)

edited May 2011
    Yay, finally have complete possession of the Baltic with what used to be Svaeland. Danzig was the last to fall. Now I'm trying to become HRE by vassalizing as many electors as possible. Good times!

edited May 2011
    I've got a challenge for people with the mod installed:

Try to form Occitania as an Occitan minor! (i.e. not Aquitaine)
    Spoiler:

Whoever manages it in the shortest time wins! Just throw a screenshot in the thread or in a PM; we can arbitrarily go until the LP reaches 1600 (about 3-6 players). Remember: the mod is designed to be played on Hard difficulty.

What do you win? Certainly nothing physical (money: I do not have it).

Perhaps the ability to create a political party for Occitania (or another substantial West Mediterranean country if it never forms) in Victoria. Perhaps an exciting event to showcase your überness in a later mod version. Perhaps an event in the HOI2. Maybe even all 3 (I am open to further suggestions).

[tiny]Disclaimer: All these fabulous prizes may or may not be implemented depending on time constraints. Rex Corp. makes no guarantees that said unification of Occitania is even possible and would be glad to hear of bugs or problems that could lead to fixes. Rex Corp. can offer no promises that said prizes will ever materialize (but hopefully they will). Bragging Rights™ are an irrevocable prize for winning this challenge. Rex Corp. is an imaginary entity with a ridiculous name.[/tiny]

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited May 2011
    Spoiler:

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, that's going to be hard to top.

Also? I DEMAND UPDATES. Make it happen, Shae...

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    edited May 2011
    We can always give the second-fastest person a rival Vicky political party (if you can't beat the indomitable Phyphor timewise, perhaps your party will out-politick his party).

But cores take 55 years to develop, so if you manage to control all of the necessary land in the first 17 years you can even beat that offering... Where apparently Granada has utterly dominated Leon.

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited May 2011
    That's my doing. Leon was being a huge pain so I ended up breaking them via rebels into Granada & Portugal

edited May 2011
    You used Languedoc, yes? I feel like without massive mission luck it's not possible to beat that time with Dauphine. Or backstabbing Aquitaine while they're busy elsewhere. I might have been able to pull it off if fucking Brittany were honorable.

edited May 2011
    Yes. I don't think it's possible to beat that time with anyone other than Languedoc actually, barring a string of conquest missions and free core events. I got pretty lucky with that game, I beat up Aquitaine while have just 3 provinces and took 4 from them, two of which were needed cores.

The problem with the others is:
    - have to take 5 core provinces instead of 4, or you start as an even weaker OPM, additionally Languedoc's core is the capital and they have two provinces, requiring two wars
    - they are catholic, but Languedoc is cathar; Unam Sanctum will give the others a CB (but no infamy reduction) on Languedoc; Languedoc gets that CB on everybody, and (as I did) can get lucky from spread of their religion; OTOH, if you can excommunicate say Aquitaine as one of the catholic minors, you'll have a much easier time, requires a huge amount of luck though
    - monarchies, thus stuck with terrible leaders for a very long time
    - don't start with a dip 9 leader, so infamy limit (8 a pop for the OPMs hurts)

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I played around with trying to beat that time with Dauphine last night, but the mission generator really wants you to go after Sardinia, it seems. I could take down 1-2 of the OPMs and maybe Languedoc if someone else whittled them down to one province first, but by then you're bumping up against the infamy limit and hoping that Aquitaine is otherwise occupied.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    edited May 2011
    I managed to vassalize Languedoc first, in January of 1401. Then annexed Auvergne and the other OPM that's not Foix. Unfortunately, they were allied with Aquitaine and Bourgognes, Brittany didn't come in on that war, the Aquitaine/Bourgognes war I was hoping would prevent those two from joining in ended coincidentally, and Catalunya/Leon invaded Languedoc.

So, um, oops.

edited May 2011
    Hmm, true you could diploannex Languedoc. The 3 OPMs would be 24 infamy, 4 from Languedoc's vassalization, probably another 2-6 from no CB wars and 3-5 for Aquitaine's province. So, you'd have to have your BB limit + 16 years of burn > 35-40. I suppose if you switched to a despotic monarchy you might be able to do it

edited May 2011
    I actually had Aquitaine annex Foix, so it would have been 6-10 for the last two cores instead of 11-13.

Doable, but I think I rushed a tad too much. It was 1405 when I had to abandon it. I really just had to beat Aquitaine and then sit and recover.

edited May 2011
    Before I get back into my main update, I'd like to show off an idea I had for a sitcom. The working title is The Moneymooners, and it's a show about Hansa, a down-to-earth, respectable trade alliance, and Mazovia, the young, up-and-coming principality that shakes up his life; they're completely different people from totally different walks of life, but they just can't quit each other!
    Spoiler:

And now we return you to our regularly scheduled program.

[size=+2]Excerpts from The Rule of King Louis V de Vermandois, by Lucas R. Hodgson, Ph.D.[/size]
    [size=+1]1477 - 1488: Crusade and Aftereffects
    [/size]
    Spoiler:

FotR on Obsidian Portal
    edited May 2011
    Poor Moroccans, we will not be repeating Wiz's Muslim colonization of the New World, apparently.

edited May 2011
    So when it's done I'm going to show off the world map, but my game has had fairly interesting colonial results. Of course, I'm kind of dominating Europe (all 8 electors are my vassals, good times!) so it might be skewing things.

edited May 2011
    Heh - so, my final update should be done tomorrow. Just thought I'd let y'all know.

FotR on Obsidian Portal
    edited May 2011
    Okay, so I thought it would be way more fun to troubleshoot my dying video card today than to work on my last update. So, short delay.

On the upside, New Egg Memorial Day sales = new video card incoming.

FotR on Obsidian Portal
    edited June 2011
    So I finished my Scandinavia game. Colonization was interesting, so brief details:

Scandinavia (me) had Guyana in South America, Louisana, much of the American southwest/southern Great Plains, Bali California much of the small Caribbean islands, and Quebec
    Galicia had Colombia (where they moved their capital to!), Newfoundland, and some islands.
    Leon had Haiti and pretty much the entirety of the initial United States outside New England and large parts of Brazil
    England had New England, Mexico, the west coast of North America
    Portugal had Ontario, other parts of Brazil
    Aquitaine had most of the rest of South America and Cuba and Australia
    Castille had a couple provinces in Brazil and Venezuela
    Somehow some Brabantian nationalists spawned in the Dutch colony of New Zealand, so they ended up there.

Other stuff: Khylnov was the dominant Russian power and probably was a core away from forming Russia when I took Neva (St. Petersberg) from them. Later I took most of western Russia because I was bored. And all of Bohemia. And Saxony. Sicily had all of Italy south of Rome for much of the game. The Byzantines converted to Catholicism (!!!) and became a major power, taking most of the lands they held at their peak. Murabitids overthrew Zenata eventually and took most of their lands that Byzantines didn't. Egypt collapsed, lost all of their land to Makuria, and then reformed out of the ashes which was pretty cool to watch. Castille was the dominant Iberian power but never quite kicked Leon/Portugal/Galicia out and form Spain. Scotland won and formed the SU followed by becoming Great Britain. And had a stable alliance with me for like 350 years, which I've never seen before. Leinster did eventually rebel and form Ireland. Nobody really went after India or China, except Aquitaine who took a few provinces from them.

A released Nevers beat up Vermandois a few times and had built themselves up to a 7/8 province power in central France. Just took Paris when the time ran out. Some interesting stuff.

I think at some point we might want to beef up the colonial rebels? Haiti and Venezuela were the only two that formed, Haiti on Cuba and they were quickly reduced to OPM status and Venezuela on the island of St. Martin and they never grew.

edited June 2011
    I figure there will be quite a bit of work that will need to be implemented around 1700 or so to work with colonies. I can also throw out an update for the SCU and SCA issue, but the AI doesn't seem to be very close to forming either at the moment.

But at the rate random conquerings are going we're bound to still be Vermandois with half of every peninsula in the Old World and all of the New World.

Aside from a lack of Morocco and no Dutch/Hannoverian colonizers that is basically the list to be expected of colonizers (I don't believe Vermandois is even set to be a colonizer by default like Aquitaine/Occitania). My only concern is that the number of colonies would make it a bit difficult for the AI to form Spain.

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited June 2011
    I suspect Imperial Authority isn't working right. I never got any as Scandinavia and then started a game as Bohemia and never increased beyond the initial 20.

edited June 2011
    Alright, I've discovered how to fix that, too.

And it took awhile because I'm not even sure how it broke in the first place. It's a mix of the common on_action.txt and a series of events. But since I never touched the on_action file I have no idea why they're not in there. But they will be.

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited June 2011
    What's this? An update? Effin' finally. Apologies all 'round. Seriously - I was supposed to have a day off this week to finish this thing up, and I didn't get it. Sucks.

[size=+1]1488 - 1496: War on the Iberian Peninsula and Louis V's Death
    [/size]
    Spoiler:

Generic "State of the Realm" shots to follow. :)

FotR on Obsidian Portal
    edited June 2011
    So Zedar is next. Well written, and interestingly played. The way this is going the Aztecs might be around in Victoria. :P

edited June 2011
    [size=+1]The State of the World at the Death of King Louis V de Vermandois: November 1496[/size]

Vermandois
    Spoiler:

The English Isles
    Spoiler:

The Holy Roman Empire and The Netherlands
    Spoiler:

Occitania
    Spoiler:

Iberia
    Spoiler:

Italy
    Spoiler:

Poland, Bohemia, and Hungary
    Spoiler:

The Byzantine Empire
    Spoiler:

Zenata
    Spoiler:

Egypt Proper
    Spoiler:

FotR on Obsidian Portal
    edited June 2011
    It is quite possible that Zenata also includes all of Persia (although this would be easy to check on the country select screen). Apparently they are becoming the Ottomans...just about 50-100 years behind their counterparts.

I can put up a new version with the nation formation fixes and the HRE fixes (although seeing how the Netherlands and Poland/Bohemia are eating up German minors it's probably to the benefit of the emperor that influence is not fully integrated).

[edit]And there it is: version 1.03. HRE fixed and no more rampant switching between GBR/SCU and SWE/SCA.

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited June 2011
    Damn this is like the only game where BYZ isn't crushing everyone :(

edited June 2011
    Brittany's done pretty well for itself, looks like.

edited June 2011
    Brittany's done pretty well for itself, looks like.

Yep - I want to say that they and Holland* were going at it for awhile, but then I canceled Holland's military access to Vermandois because I kept getting "border tensions," etc., CB with the clog-wearers, and the stability hit for going to war with someone you have a military access treaty with is really tough.

So, I cancelled Holland's treaty (since I foresee border issues continuing), causing Holland to lose easy access for its reinforcements for their wars against Brittany (and Acquitaine), causing it to eventually lose the ground it had gained there.

It was also kind of a last-ditch effort to help Acquitaine (I offered them pretty cheap loans, as well, which they kept turning down) stave off the Egyptian encroachment by taking at least one of their enemies out of the war. This sorta worked - Egypt's holdings have degraded from 4 or 5 provinces to 1 or 2, the rest being new nations (Dauphine, Bourbonnais, etc.) that have split off.

So, further Director's Commentary on the Portuguese War:

Per the thread's vote, I selected "Quest for the New World" as soon as I could (which was actually about a year or so after I unlocked the national idea slot). This let me finally buy some explorers and conquistadores - unfortunately, I didn't realize that they both cost a colonist to create, rather than a magistrate (diplomat? Diplomat).

So, my first colonist goes into making an explorer so that I can actually go out and find something to colonize (and then his ships die on the way home; damme!). Unfortunately, our colonist growth rate was *ridiculously slow*, so it took forever to get another one. By that time, I found out that our colonial range was waaaaaaaay to short to make it anywhere close to the Americas. So, I figured we needed a closer jumping-off point than Calais - queue the exploration of Madeira and the Canaries. Unfortunately, because I was now a colonist shorter than everyone else, Castille and Holland beat me to them, respectively.

Fine, I thought - I'll just go capture Porto, since it's a nice, western Iberian port with a decent tax base (and we used to own it, dammit), and in a few dozen years, we'll core it and use *that* for our American adventures. I had a great lead-in with the psuedo-alliance with Leon, who was doing a great job of keeping the actual Portuguese army occupied in Southern Leon, down around Gibraltar. Of course, as I posted, Leon white-peaced out almost as soon as I declared against Portugal. This let the Portuguese army come roaring back up to raise the siege of Porto. My plans to win the war on the cheap weren't going to work out, so I needed to actually raise a real army and send it in.

I think I lucked out in that the recently-declared peace (and enforced truce) between Leon and Portugal prevented the Portuguese from pursuing my army as it hid and reinforced in Lisbon.

A small strategic error** resulted in the first wave of new unit reinforcements getting run over by a *huge* Catalunyan (IIRC) rebel army and almost destroyed. I thought I took a screenshot of it, because it was pretty funny (especially since later on Catalonia ended up excommunicated and then I arranged a royal wedding with them and demolished the Castillian army and we ended up best buds), but I guess I missed it.

While screwing around waiting for my second army to reinforce (the third took ship from Calais to Lisbon), I took the first army and moved into eastern Portugal, just to force the Portuguese army to not sit on its butt the whole time. They moved over, and I was completely and easily winning the fight, so I went to check out what was going on in west Africa. A few moments later, I got the battle report that I had lost to a massively overwhelming army of Portuguese and Castillians. Somehow, the Castillians had pulled a 20,000 soldier army out of their backsides (I think they were hiding in the south of Spain when my 2nd army came by in the north, so I never got LOS on them).

At this point, I figured I'd just about made a major miscalculation and that I was about to seriously lose a lot of money and prestige in a disasterous adventure. I was looking around, going, "Shit - how am I supposed to stop the Castillians from just wiping the floor with my expeditionary force and then coming up here and kicking my teeth in?"

And then I invented cannons. And realized that, like the Portuguese, the Castillians couldn't follow me into Leon.

So I pulled back to Lisbon, trained up two units of cannon and a couple more of my new improved Landsknechthan infantry, and waited for the Castillians go back to Castille.

My newly embiggened army easily stomped the Portuguese, and then held off the Castillians when they came back. Even with pretty heavy losses in the initial fights, I was killing them much faster than they were killing me, and they couldn't produce the troops or reinforcements fast enough to match their losses, while I was pretty much maxed out on my manpower.

In pretty short order, I mopped up Portugal and captured all of their territories, which is when I found a small but important difference between EU and CK - holding all of an opponent's territories doesn't let you just dictated whatever terms you want. Most crucially, I couldn't demand Porto from them because it was their capital. They'd willingly give me every other piece of land they owned, all the money in their treasury, and renege on all of their agreements with everyone, but Porto was completely off-limits.

Yep, I basically started a long, fantastically bloody and expensive war that completely wrecked not only Portugal but, importantly, Castille, allowing numerous splinter states to form out of Castille's eastern holdings, destabilizing an entire region, in order to not capture a province.

In fact, I only gained 1 province out of the whole thing, and that was from Castille and was in the Mediterranean, for goodness's sake (well, that and I made them release Granada, who rather likes us at the moment).

Oh well - at Louis V's death, our relations with Portugal were pegged at 200 with no decay, and only the 10-year timer was standing in between us and diplomatic annexation. Additionally, we have a royal marriage with Aragon, on the eastern end of the Iberian Peninsula, and had the opportunity (though I didn't take it) to take their throne from them. If I'd been a little more knowledgeable about how it affects your relations with other people (e.g., the tooltip says it lowers your relationship with others you have a royal marriage with, but I had no idea how much, and Louis V was pretty much on his way out at that point, so I figured I'd leave the decision to my heir), I might have added that, as well.

* They may or may not have been the Netherlands at the time.
    ** They autopathed south, then east in Castille on the way to Portugal, rather than autopathing east, then south.

FotR on Obsidian Portal
    edited June 2011
    Victoria is probably the best game for "winning is not represented by how many provinces you own" (since the economic focus almost overshadows the military one), but EU3 is close behind. Research, manpower, income and (ability to accrue) prestige are all more important than simply how much of the land has your color on it.

Phyphor's plan to plunder gold mines in North Africa is sound because it brings in tons of money, is a legitimate crusade target that will make the pope happy, and does provide some more coastal provinces (...even if they are effectively in the middle of nowhere) to raise our naval forcelimits allowance.

Unfortunately it also means a token defense force needs to be stationed in the middle of nowhere and - since Morocco is effectively overseas (it is on a different continent), tax revenue is pretty minimal. Plus they're a different culture, which leads to lots of revolts. I was also cheering for Morocco because I want to see some non-Christian success, but at least Zenata seems to be doing exceptionally well.

Porto is a bit of an awkward choice. Not just because it's a capital. You still have a major cultural difference, you'll be forced to contend with a bunch of (semi-distant) Iberian cultures that have more valid claims to the land, and you'd once again be creating a pocket where troops would need to be stationed (if you planned on keeping it). On the plus side though, Porto is a pretty rich province.

I would've recommend Poitou or Vendee, which will get you to Canada as easily as Porto (without an Atlantic Island) will get you to the Carribean.

Poitou even has a compatible culture. "But Rex!" I hear you say, "Poitou is Francien and we are Salian Frankish!" I know this isn't explained well outside of a mention in one or two of my mod-related posts, but our Frankish culture is partially a parent to both French and Germanic cultures. This is difficult to represent in game, but there are events that allow Francien culture to develop into West Frankish (and back) depending on the culture group the owner is from (same with things around the Rhine and Rheinländer). Essentially this means provinces of Francien culture can effectively have the same culture group as either French or Frankish overlords.

Poitou also has the distinction of working towards the "Form Carolingian Nation" decision that requires cores all over western europe (i should probably make a map for people).

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the info - Poitou, unfortunately, was owned by Navarra, against whom I had no casus belli at all. Vendee was Holland, IIRC, and then Navarra, and is now Brittany, and we got a border troubles CB with Holland and Brittany, eventually, but not for Vendee.

Those CBs may have expired by this point.

FotR on Obsidian Portal
    edited June 2011
    I eventually went with Pippin's Frankish Empire borders instead of Charlemagne's, because Charlemagne's is - as the technical parlance goes - "freakin' huge." Plus that puts us at the beginning of the ruling Carolingian dynasty.

I didn't include cores or ownership for a vast majority of Vermandois' holdings because the list is already pretty long in-game. Any country in the Frankish culture group can form the Frankish Empire. They need the provinces noted below, maximum stability, a ruler with administration of 7 or above and cannot be at war.

carolingiannation2.gif

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited June 2011
    One of the reasons I took the Moroccan provinces was gold, a second reason was to provide a jump off in case we wanted to go to south america. I think it may even be closer than our normal ports to north america too

edited June 2011
    Phyphor wrote: »
    One of the reasons I took the Moroccan provinces was gold, a second reason was to provide a jump off in case we wanted to go to south america. I think it may even be closer than our normal ports to north america too

I figured that was a reason. Also, we've got a really small naval force limit because we don't own very many coastal provinces. That's why I added Safi (or Ifni, whichever) from Morocco (and to deny them a port, natch) and Rio de Oro in Africa, and then why I took Mercia from Castille.

Well, that and because I was feeling vindictive for them extending the Portuguese war with their doomstack. So, bonus port, it's already Catholic, it's got a solid tax base, and it's near Tangiers allowing mutual support, and it's a big "F U!" to the Castillians.

I originally wanted to forge a path through Dauphine or Switzerland / Italy in order to have a land bridge to the Med, so that troops moving from our populated areas don't have to take ship all the way around (because see above about small naval force limits, which naturally restricts our transport capacity), but I never got the approprite CBs to do it, and my early missteps with the accidentla annexation of Lorraine added so much to my infamy rating that I didn't want to screw things up like that again.

Also, the game *really* likes to give us the "Conquest of Hainaut" mission.

FotR on Obsidian Portal
    edited June 2011
    I guess I should ask if Zedar has received the save. I guess that would have happend a few weeks ago now, but perhaps he is biding his time.

Also, we probably get the Hainaut mission because we have completed just about every other default mission for Vermandois (purposely and accidentally). I didn't really write much for Vermandois because I had (and have) no idea what people want to do with it. So basically the only events were designed to get Vermandois to take cores on the capital provinces for the Form Carolingian Nation decision.

And if you could keep track of who you seend out as the explorer/conquistador to discover far off new lands that would be useful for creating events and the inevitable naming of random places (e.g. If we have no Columbus it doesn't make much sense to have a Columbia. Yes, apparently I am that demanding in my mod-making).

PR-SH3-sig2.gif