As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Okay, screw every other movie coming out this year.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    why didn't you like Beowulf TLB

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    First of all, it was creepy

Secondly, the second half of the movie is just a re-telling of the first half of the movie but with different characters playing the same roles. I ain't read beowulf in a while but I don't remember it being a constant loop of people making the same bad decision over and over and over again.

Thirdly, the action wasn't that great

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    is that the ghost hobo tom hanks from polar express

hahahah

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Secondly, the second half of the movie is just a re-telling of the first half of the movie but with different characters playing the same roles. I ain't read beowulf in a while but I don't remember it being a constant loop of people making the same bad decision over and over and over again.

I think the third part of the EPIC POEM had the whole decisions from the past replaying itself as a dragon that would ultimately kill him.

But in the movie the dragon was actually his bastard son he had from fucking Grendel's mother rather than killing her. Also Grendel, himself, was the bastard son of Angelina Jolie and the King. Which was just the wackiest plot change in anything ever.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »

I think the third part of the EPIC POEM had the whole decisions from the past replaying itself as a dragon that would ultimately kill him.

But in the movie the dragon was actually his bastard son he had from fucking Grendel's mother rather than killing her. Also Grendel, himself, was the bastard son of Angelina Jolie and the King. Which was just the wackiest plot change in anything ever.

I thought it was a good plot change. Otherwise Grendel fighting the dragon would have been a pretty unrelated plot point, but what they changed it to meant that the first and second half of the movie were actually relevant to each other.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It was ballsy to say the least.

I think Neil Gaiman was the one responsible for this too. I don't know if he is the sort of guy to make a mockery of the oldest English narrative.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well it's worth pointing out that people around the time Beowulf was written wouldn't have thought twice about taking the plot and twisting it into whatever they wanted. As long as it makes for a better story, I have no problem with the changes, to be honest.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I don't give a fuck. I had a teacher that flipped out every chance she got around the time the movie was coming out. It was British Lit too and we were reading Beowulf. So she had many chances.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Haha, yeah my sister is an English Literature student and she got pissed about it as well.

Solar on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    all the bastardisation of the dutch/flemish roots of this amazing comic have me pretty determined to avoid this at all cost.

it also looks ridiculous.

and it's completely unnecessary.

in short, go read the comicbooks and forget this ever happened, trust me.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh god, I keep forgetting that this is coming out, and then when I'm reminded about it I get super excited.

Though if Tintin doesn't diguise himself with blackface/get chloroformed by someone/chloroform someone himself, I will be disillusioned.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i need at least a dozen broken whiskeybottles, 5 shattered monocles and a musical interlude featuring Bianca Castafore lasting no shorter than 15 minutes.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They're gonna need to go to space for the sequel, or I cannot possibly be satisfied.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    I've never been bothered by the so-called "uncanny valley".

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    They're gonna need to go to space for the sequel, or I cannot possibly be satisfied.

The shuttle only included enough oxygen for four people!

Now we have six! D:

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That story arc was actually the first Tintin I ever read. And what a damn good arc at that.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There was this bizarre coffee shop in the central part of my area of Seoul (it's a very small area because it's stuck between mountains) and at this coffee shop they had a vinyl record of The Blue Lotus inexplicably for sale.

And I wanted it so badly and saved and saved and then I went to buy it and

the shop was closing and all their merchandise was gone.

This thread is just rubbing salt in that wound every time I see it.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've never been bothered by the so-called "uncanny valley".

That's because so few things so far have actually been in the valley. All the Zemeckis nonsense wasn't right down there, it was on the left slope. It looked wrong not because it was uncanny, but because it was just shit, with rubbery skin and cold, dead eyes, lifeless mouths and flat, uninteresting backdrops. Uncanny Valley has more to do with movement and gestures than physically appearance anyway, and those movies were all mocapped quite well so it wasn't that.

I think when people talk about uncanny valley it is more as a warning, as a generalized threat. Most digital animation so far in cinema has been absolutely on the left slope of the valley, improving animation and texturing to the highest possible point before the extremely quick decline to unsettling automatons. Essentially, just hyper realistic animation rather than wholly digital actors.

So for every new movie that comes out, with the increasing power of computers and rapidly advancing technologies, we fear that the next movie will just tip over that edge and tumble all the way down into the valley. Things in the valley don't just look 'wrong', or unbelievable. They are genuinely unsettling, creepy and unnerving. And in a family friendly movie like TinTin, would actually frighten children and provide a huge amount of discomfort.

From the TinTin trailer, it's hard to say. They actually disguised the faces a lot, sometimes quite brazenly by having the newspaper with eyeholes, for example. Now, this could be because, like all movies, you want to tantalize the audience. Provide brief snippets of these long-loved characters to get people excited about the new look. But it could also be one of two things that are equally worrying:

1) That the faces and digital animation in this movie are genuinely within the uncanny valley, and not just bad. As I said, with every advance in photo-realism we get closer to that nadir in animation. That said, we might bypass it entirely, especially with such a stylized world as that of TinTin. Of course, the worry is there.

2) That it is simply unfinished. Animation like this doesn't come together until the very end. Except for in stills, it can look really bad until the last few months of post production. If you look at some of the Lord of the Rings CGI even days before print, it was in some cases still wireframes. Digital animation isn't like traditional animation in the sense that you progress through the movie frame by frame. You add layers of texturing, lighting, animation to models at all parts throughout production, so it slowly comes together as a whole. That could be the case here, as that trailer looked significantly nicer than the stills we got about a year ago, but still unfinished but close to it.

So really, there is a lot to be worried about with this movie, though I still maintain utter faith in the project. What I mean to say is, that if you want to temper hype for this thing, which is already through the roof considering the cast, crew and source material, then you need to look at the broader concept of digital motion captured animation like this.

Either way, it was peculiar for the trailer and the poster to obscure the faces so much, with dubbed dialogue and a lot of shadows. From the locations we've seen in the released stills and landscapes, I'm guessing this was just a choice for tone and style than an active attempt to deceive.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I will now stop saying that it's in Uncanny Valley

I will just say it looks odd and unnerving

at the moment

Robcham on
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have six TinTin comics beside my bed right this second. I really wish I still had the second half of the Moon story. Actually, looking at the backs of these I have probably read all but one or two of the Comics

Remembering way back I am now remembering how much the Moon Arc, the Prisoners of the Sun and the fucking Cigars of the Pharaoh scared the shit out of me.

The cartoon certainly didn't help with the last one...

The Nightmares begin at around 5:35

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    totally uncanny valley

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    wake me up when we get a big budget

2cscm5k.jpg

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's not my childhood! You're just old!

Robcham on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    wake me up when we get a big budget

2cscm5k.jpg

This is the closest you're going to get

k-9-free-tf.org-1989.jpg

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    that was a much more flattering photo of Gene Wilder than I've seen in a few years.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Technically that movie was made 21 years before I was born.

But I still must have watched it 50 times over the course of my childhood.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    Professor Calculus isn't bumbling! He's blind!

He's not blind, he can see quite well. He's hard of hearing, however.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    Professor Calculus isn't bumbling! He's blind!

He's not blind, he can see quite well. He's hard of hearing, however.

And that's why he puts a trumpet in his ear.

(That sounds really funny to me, despite them really being called ear trumpets. Really I just wanted to say trumpet in the ear.)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    that was a much more flattering photo of Gene Wilder than I've seen in a few years.

for real

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    AMP'd wrote: »

for real

He kind of looks like Eric Idol.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Doodmann wrote: »
    AMP'd wrote: »

for real

He kind of looks like Eric Idol.

Who's Eric Idol?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Billy Idol's brother

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Never heard of him. Is he part of Billy's band or something?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    UlisesUlises Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    oh man, was skut in the secret of the unicorn?

i liked him

Ulises on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ok that trailer is awesome

The models look fantastic

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You want to know what's ridiculous

War Horse, Spielberg's next movie, gets released two days after this

That is ridiculous

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    B_RB_R Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They are mixing 3 comic adventures together?
    That could easily go wrong.

B_R on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SwissLion wrote: »

Charlie has a bitchin' mustache.

Huntera on