As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Witcher 2: PATCH 1.2 OUT NOW - plus a hairstyling dlc

DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
thewitcher2assassinsofkc.jpg

WITCHER 2 1.2 PATCH IS OUT http://en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/53/ comes with all current dlc and a new barber.

This is a thread about witchering, and witchering in general, now in awesome sequel form!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCRMZef_JN4

Buy it from gog.com now! (or steam, or those brick shops)

New to the series? get the witcher here cheaper a Vizima hooker! You can even import your save game into the sequel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9SUiFSr-s4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCdLceN9EDM

Its also set after books! Lookout for "The Last Wish" (short stories about witchering and the story of the intro from witcher 1) and "The Blood of Elves" (The first part in the witcher saga) in your bookstore of choice today! the next book is out in 2012! (but if you are polish and/or can read polish you have all them already!) Get more info here

and its also a polish tv series/movie but you less you know about that the better.
wiedzmin01.jpg

toldya.

WTH is a witcher you say?
20041024h.jpg

Problems running witcher 2? patches are incoming next week in the mean time try these:

NEW ATI HOTFIX - Mainly meant for crossfire users but single card users have noticed better performance but - use at own risk, reports of 10+fps increase and reports of strange things like new crashes and light source bleeding.
  • disable ubersampling
  • disable catalyst ai (for ati)
  • update drivers (not ati ones tho, keep them on 11.4, they are working on new ones that fix stuff)
  • pray to your gods.
  • NEW - Current reports are the cause might actually be DRM on the retail/d2d copies of the game, theres a non-legit fix but for obvious reasons i can't to link it. :?

Whats that? You lost your witcher 1 saves and want to import?

*UPDATED - Money is really fixed this time and theres also a checklist* thanks SoundsPlush!
*note there is no "Shani Scoia'Tael" save, the one before was labelled wrong.*
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YFKFQT55

GOT MODS?

Mods for Witcher 1 @ http://www.moddb.com/games/the-witcher/mods
Highlights include:
  • Full Combat Rebalance
  • Scabbards
  • Immersion GUI.
  • Plus many more including quest mods and texture packs.

Here's the list of Witcher 2 mods @ http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/full_list_of_mods/page1

Current Mods are:
Crafting Materials Weight Reduction Mod - Changes the weight of all crafting materials to 0.1.

Unlimited Carry Weight Mod - Gives all items 0 weight.

Potion Duration Extension - Extends the duration of potions to 1 hour. A variety of optional files have been added for different durations on potions and oils including instructions on how to edit the timings yourself.

Oil Duration Extension - Extends the duration of oils to 30 minutes.

Return of the White Wolf (Hair Replacement Texture for Geralt) - [Screenshot] - Makes Geralt's hair whiter (less grey).

Return of the Black Wolf (Hair Replacement Texture for Geralt) - [Screenshot] - Replaces Geralt's normal hair with a darker alternative.

Mini-map Direction Pointer - Adds a marker to the mini-map to help you keep your orientation while exploring.

Classic Dice Set (Easier to read) - Re-textures the poker dice to be more like The Witcher 1 and easier to read.

Crafting Price Equalization Mod - Reduces all crafting prices to 3 orens.

Tooltip Mod - Makes tooltips 80% taller, scroll 3x faster, and start scrolling almost immediately. Several variants available with different font sizes and scrolling delays.

Save Game Cleanup Utility - Allows you to scan, preview and delete or backup a set of saved games to free up some space on your computer.

How to unpack pack0.dzip (tutorial for modders)

there is also a www.witchernexus.com

Trouble with Witcher 2 combat even on normal?
Wolfprint wrote: »
The game just throws you into the deep end from the start. It's like going to your first swimming lesson expecting the instructor to start you off in the wading pool, but no! He manhandles you, holding you in a bear hug so your arms flail about helplessly, and you watch in horror as you go flying into the water with a splash, and after much struggling, miraculously discover that you can keep aloft.

Combat Tips (or so You Wanna be a Witcher)

1. Know that The Roll and the Mid-Roll Directional Change are your best friends. Always roll away from enemy mobs, not into them. Pick off the outliers first. Get a point in Footwork on the Swordsmanship tree if you need better positioning.

2. Roll around enemies that hold shields or can block. Stab them from the back instead. Aard or Igni are useful against them too.

3. Learn to anticipate attacks when they come. There is always a discernible animation when an enemy is about to strike at you. Roll away, and hit him from the back.

4. Use your potions, oils and bombs. They can radically change the landscape in your favour.

5. Watch out for your Vigour bar. You have too low Vigour early on to be parrying often.

6. Speaking of parrying, put at least one point in the upgrade to block from all directions. But remember not to spam block. It does not work.

7. Grit your teeth and bear it when it comes to the Prologue. Trust me, the combat gets smoother as you progress.

You can't just hack and slash anymore!
Learn how to roll, block, use bombs and traps and multi-attacking.

Learn how to not suck at combat, from our very own BlackDove.
*note video may contain chapter 1 spoilers*
BlackDove wrote: »
Okay, here it is (when Youtube goddamn processes it)

Low level fighting. Using the most simplistic skills. The game is piss easy.

Somebody put this in the OP, and reference it whenever someone comes to complain about how the fighting is hard.

This is all you need to do to win. Normal difficulty. There's no problem to be had.

This is all Chapter 1, so I doubt the fight with Letho spoils anything. Maybe put a spoiler warning on it if you think it's a problem.

I went through these fights a few times just so you can see that it's not a problem replicating this kind of behavior.

It's not like I'm playing fucking flawlessly either. I'm making TONS of mistakes in these videos. Some because I'm just trying to lower my skill level as much as possible and trying to mash the buttons and emulate how a monkey would play it, others because FRAPS will offload the work onto random threads on the CPU and when it offloads onto one the game uses, the framerate goes to -2.

Either way, tons of mistakes, yet I still win every time.

You can, and will too.

I'm told spoilers start at 6:10. I don't agree, but you've been warned anyway.

Ask yourself, seriously.

Ask yourself, "Am I a duck"?

Then try to be more like Foltest.

RmAs1.gif

(i remember now why i dont make threads. :?)

Deaderinred on

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Clearly, Geralt does not approve of the sparse OP.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    its my first time, im working on it.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm loving the shit out of this game but goddamn did the combat take some getting used to. They just throw you in without explaining shit and I was totally expecting something similar to the first Witcher. I died like 20 times in the prologue, mainly at
    the ballista, courtyard, and fighting those dudes with the dragon flying around.
    Starting to finally get the hang of it I think so there's that at least. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the seamless, no loading between chapters thing? or am I the only unlucky one? in th space of 90 minutes, I've seen 5 black losing screens complete with circ, spinny thing.

Also, my bombs do squat against the necker nests. And my goddamn internetf still not back on and I think the poker playing monk bonus fucked up because of it. Theres nothing in the extras menu.

from previous thread

Big Classy on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so i have a question. I've sadly lost all my witcher 1 saves since i got a new computer and forgot to back them up.

If you don't import a save what's the canon storyline that the game assumes you did in Witcher 1?

Is there any kind of save game generator?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Huh. I'm on an AMD GPU and running 11.5 drivers and getting about 40+ FPS on Ultra minus ubersampling (and motion blur - ew) at 1920x1080.

You mean my rig should be running this...even better?

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    so i have a question. I've sadly lost all my witcher 1 saves since i got a new computer and forgot to back them up.

If you don't import a save what's the canon storyline that the game assumes you did in Witcher 1?

there were links in the last thread for some uploads, trying to find them now.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Huh. I'm on an AMD GPU and running 11.5 drivers and getting about 40+ FPS on Ultra minus ubersampling (and motion blur - ew) at 1920x1080.

You mean my rig should be running this...even better?

its a really weird problem, some people are lucky (you and me) and play it fine, others are not, its being worked one, the ati issues seem to come from the drivers being made to work with the preview build and not the final build which code had changed.

guys gimme stuff to add to the op so i dont feel useless.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Old world monkeyOld world monkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Whatever happened to the seamless, no loading between chapters thing? or am I the only unlucky one? in th space of 90 minutes, I've seen 5 black losing screens complete with circ, spinny thing.

Also, my bombs do squat against the necker nests. And my goddamn internetf still not back on and I think the poker playing monk bonus fucked up because of it. Theres nothing in the extras menu.

from previous thread

You need to have the right type of bomb. I says which one in the nekker entry in your journal. Then just move close to the nest and press whatever keys it tells you to.

The dice playing monk is just an add for gog.com, I think.

Old world monkey on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game pisses excellence. You should but it if you haven't.

Achievment : Blue dot get!

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am replaying the game because there is no respec, I want to get all the hidden abilities, and I am only midway in Flotsam so it's not too much trouble.

But God is the courtyard fight a pain. I honestly think that combat is clunkier in the Prologue, which is bizarre. As the game progresses the combat controls seem smoothed out, and not because of new abilities. The button inputs become more responsive and Geralt no longer just bums around when you tap a button.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    20041024h.jpg

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    bigwah wrote: »
    20041024h.jpg

Added! totally forgot about that. :P

ok i think i've done enough to the op for now, im kinda itching to go do some witchers work before i go to bed.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

oh man if you can find them that would be great, the last thread got pretty huge

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd heard that those save files had a ridiculous amount of money though. People were starting with 20-30000 orens, which sounds about right for the original if you finished the poker quest but it's supposed to scale down your money to a reasonable level.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    edited May 2011

oh man if you can find them that would be great, the last thread got pretty huge

added them to the op already, tho just noticing the file names on them look abit weird, like not saves from right at the end after the final boss is killed, not sure if this might be the problem peoples been having with huge oren counts on importing.. will looking into it.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hey lore nerds-

Yennefer

Was she and Geralt a thing? How did he get to triss from there? Something to do with his death/undeath?

I just got busy in some underground ruins while the moans of my lover freaked out a dwarf above thinking the place was haunted.... Mr. Plough is in the house.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I'm hearing a variety of things about what you need to run this game. I really want it, and I have 4 gigs RAM and a 2.6 quad core, but my graphics card is a 9500 GT, which really seems insufficient given everything I've read. Does anyone have any experience with the 9500 GT in particular and this game? Someone was saying they were running it with an 8400 GS, which sounds ludicrous, but if true, I ought to be able to run it.

If I can get decent FPS on low, I'm happy. I just wanna play the game.

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah you're gonna need something better than a 9500gt.

i mean you could run it, but you couldn't run it.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Hey lore nerds-

Yennefer

Was she and Geralt a thing? How did he get to triss from there? Something to do with his death/undeath?

I just got busy in some underground ruins while the moans of my lover freaked out a dwarf above thinking the place was haunted.... Mr. Plough is in the house.

yennefer
    yeah they were a thing, a big thing in the books, triss was kinda jealous of the whole thing. every time they mentioned something about geralt having a thing for sorceresses or some old love in witcher 1, they meant yennefer, she and geralt started to raise ciri, who was a source (like alvin from witcher 1) and at the end of the saga of books
    geralts dies from a human mob, yennefer dies trying to bring him back to life and ciri leaves the world but not before taking geralt and yennefer to some awesome unicorn afterlife
    and then 5 years past and witcher 1 starts and he has no memory and triss kinda just jumps in, he kinda has grounds for rape come to think of it.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    yeah you're gonna need something better than a 9500gt.

i mean you could run it, but you couldn't run it.

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean. Do you mean that I technically could boot it up, but it would be unplayably slow, or do you mean that I'd have to rank everything down so far that it wouldn't be enjoyable? Because as I said, 'low' across the board is fine with me.

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    someone posted saying they were playing it ok at low/medium settings on a 8800 in the last thread.

i dont know nvidia cards so i dont know if thats good.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hey lore nerds-

Yennefer

yennefer
    yeah they were a thing, a big thing in the books, triss was kinda jealous of the whole thing. every time they mentioned something about geralt having a thing for sorceresses or some old love in witcher 1, they meant yennefer, she and geralt started to raise ciri, who was a source (like alvin from witcher 1) and at the end of the saga of books
    geralts dies from a human mob, yennefer dies trying to bring him back to life and ciri leaves the world but not before taking geralt and yennefer to some awesome unicorn afterlife
    and then 5 years past and witcher 1 starts and he has no memory and triss kinda just jumps in, he kinda has grounds for rape come to think of it.

1> How old is triss?

2> She remembers all that but isnt filling Geralt in totally?

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I enjoy the OP. :lol: Live action hilarity.

Is there a way to run the game on the low settings and take away the letterboxing? Maybe if I change the resolution? I use 1024x768.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alright, I can't find this elsewhere online. My brother has this game on Steam but I don't, if I start a new game will it overwrite his game?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In the prologue.
    Part 3. Dragon flying over head. Kill 3 guys, run across the small uncovered section, get incinerated, die. Repeat 10 times. Say fuck this game, go back to terraria.
    /my experience with the game so far. What the hell am I missing? I know I have a potion to resist incineration effects, but I can't drink potions in combat in this game. Which is a dumb change from witcher 1... They took a massive leap backwards in terms of combat controls from their first game -.-

Saphier on
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alright, I can't find this elsewhere online. My brother has this game on Steam but I don't, if I start a new game will it overwrite his game?

It shouldn't. I've restarted the single-player several times, and my previous save files are still available.

Prisca on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hey lore nerds-

Yennefer

yennefer

1> How old is triss?

2> She remembers all that but isnt filling Geralt in totally?

1> i dont know, cant remember to be sure.. 30ish i would say, but witcher 2 makes her seem 25 or lower..

2> yeah shes not telling him everything, part of it is wanting him to regain it on his own, she might be using him, plus its another way of giving a player freedom to decide without knowledge of the books. (why you can pick shani or triss in witcher 1 for instance) they seem to focusing more on the past lore in witcher 2.
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I enjoy the OP. :lol: Live action hilarity.

to be fair the series isnt totally horrible but its been awhile since i watched it and only got half way through, the movie is terrible, its just bits of the series put together and doesnt make sense, i kinda got into the series (not sure you can find it anymore but its was dubbed into english and i still have it on my hdd) there are some ok moments but then there shit like
    seeing the dryad morenn (the one you can have sex with in witcher 1, the naked one) in the series is nothing more then a 14 year old covered in green paint.
    Morenn-series.jpg
    its seriously whaaaat sometimes, oh and kear morhen isnt a huge ass castle, no its a bunch of caves and vesamir looks like gandalf/obiwan.
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Is there a way to run the game on the low settings and take away the letterboxing? Maybe if I change the resolution? I use 1024x768.

stuck with letterboxing until they release a patch (hopefully next week)

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I loved The Witcher, probably one of my favourite games of all time, and I remember upgrading my computer in the middle of playing it and how great it felt to suddenly be able to run it on high settings :D
    Now I'm not so sure about even being able to run this game, though I've been reading several people's builds and it's given me some hope. I have a Q6600 at 2.4 ghz, 2 GB of system RAM, and 8800 GTS 512 mb on Windows Vista. I know my RAM and processor are terrible but my video card has held up pretty well for its age. Does anyone have a rig like this?

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Saphier wrote: »
    In the prologue.
    Part 3. Dragon flying over head. Kill 3 guys, run across the small uncovered section, get incinerated, die. Repeat 10 times. Say fuck this game, go back to terraria.
    /my experience with the game so far. What the hell am I missing? I know I have a potion to resist incineration effects, but I can't drink potions in combat in this game. Which is a dumb change from witcher 1... They took a massive leap backwards in terms of combat controls from their first game -.-

Your final statement is laughable. W1 click click click click click vs. W2 You can die any second timing/roll/strike carefully

However know this- The prologue is one of the toughest parts of the first half of the game. Its hard. It actually eases up in chapter 1.

When you get the swing of it the combat is decisive. It is brutal. But using all your tools and signs- you have the edge. Its snakes vs a fast mongoose. You have maneuverability and your head. They have numbers.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Has anyone been able to register their DLCs? I've been trying to register the "Vernon Roche Commando Jacket" & "Mysterious Merchant" DLCs, but I'm either getting "Connection Refused", "Invalid, or stuck on Verification errors.

Prisca on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In the prologue.

You final statement is laughable. W1 click click click click click vs. W2 You can die any second timing/roll/strike carefully

However know this. The prologue is one of the toughest parts of the first half of the game. Its hard. It actually eases up in chapter 1.

But anyway, cross the unconvered areas with the NPCs. And you use potions by selecting the meditate option from the ctrl menu when not in combat

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    In the prologue.

You final statement is laughable. W1 click click click click click vs. W2 You can die any second timing/roll/strike carefully

However know this. The prologue is one of the toughest parts of the first half of the game. Its hard. It actually eases up in chapter 1.

But anyway, cross the unconvered areas with the NPCs. And you use potions by selecting the meditate option from the ctrl menu when not in combat

Right, but I'd want to drink that potion right now, not later. In W1 you could drink them when ever they'd be useful, not whenever the game felt like letting you.

Managed to make it across the gap without being incinerated finally. As far as I can tell it was entirely luck. Being right next to npcs did nothing, so I just kept running at it until I made it. -.-

Saphier on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    this is among the best PC Rpgs I've ever played. It shocks me because I really didn't like the Witcher 1 at all.

Problem is now I think I want to play through it so I can import a save for my second playthrough of W2. Witcher's eat hours, all the hours I have.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The prologue officially has the worst controls in the game.

I sped-ran through to LaValette dungeons last night, and turns out I missed the Assassin ability pickup. Joy. I have to redo the thing from the ballista section again.
    At least I get to spare Aryan this time.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There was way more to W1 VS click click click. You had to change styles frequently mid-combat, not to mention signs and stuff.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    All I remember is that swamp.

. . . And maybe the awesome mystery science fiction theater bit.

And some other stuff where people died.

But mostly just the swamp.

And titties.

Alright the titties are fairly prominent there.

But so is the swamp.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    After watching today's Giant Bomb Quicklook I'm gonna have to give my gamepad a try. I already like the way things feel with kb+m but CDP really did a slick job supporting the xbox 360 controller

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm surprised Witcher 2 had no CG intro. I watched W1's every time I loaded it up.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GuildNavigatorGuildNavigator Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have played video games non-stop for 2 decades and I just died twice in the fucking tutorial where you need to capture the ballista.

Did I miss something or is there ZERO combat tutorial? I'm pitted against a god damn shielded knight, 2h sword knight, 2 crossbowmen, and a soldier. I barely scratch the health of one of them before I die.

I'm obviously doing something completely wrong but the game has made zero effort to explain how to do anything.

GuildNavigator on