As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Witcher 2: PATCH 1.2 OUT NOW - plus a hairstyling dlc

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Set up some of those fire traps you have and lure them back the way you came

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Naw, no tutorial to speak of.

Here's what do:

Quen: Damage shield, wears off early after it absorbs all it's good for. When it's up, you don't flinch and can't be interrupted.

Axii: Charm, brief channel before it activates, turns any minion to your side. They will then either murder their friends, or turn their back so you can shank them. Tends to break if you hit them with more than one incidental light attack.

Yrden: Trap, stuns and holds whomever walks on it. Great for shanking dudes in the back.

Basically, pop on that Quen, rock that Axii, then hit people in the back with heavy or light attacks to taste. Roll lots.

Alternatively you can play bomberman, once you've got enough supplies. You do start with three neato exploding traps, and you'll be able to make TONS once you get out of the prologue.

Also, check for a haycart behind the ballista. Go look at it.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have played video games non-stop for 2 decades and I just died twice in the fucking tutorial where you need to capture the ballista.

Did I miss something or is there ZERO combat tutorial? I'm pitted against a god damn shielded knight, 2h sword knight, 2 crossbowmen, and a soldier. I barely scratch the health of one of them before I die.

I'm obviously doing something completely wrong but the game has made zero effort to explain how to do anything.

It doesn't. The game just throws you into the deep end from the start. It's like going to your first swimming lesson expecting the instructor to start you off in the wading pool, but no! He manhandles you, holding you in a bear hug so your arms flail about helplessly, and you watch in horror as you go flying into the water with a splash, and after much struggling, miraculously discover that you can keep aloft.

Combat Tips (or so You Wanna be a Witcher)

1. Know that The Roll and the Mid-Roll Directional Change are your best friends. Always roll away from enemy mobs, not into them. Pick off the outliers first. Get a point in Footwork on the Swordsmanship tree if you need better positioning.

2. Roll around enemies that hold shields or can block. Stab them from the back instead. Aard or Igni are useful against them too.

3. Learn to anticipate attacks when they come. There is always a discernible animation when an enemy is about to strike at you. Roll away, and hit him from the back.

4. Use your potions, oils and bombs. They can radically change the landscape in your favour.

5. Watch out for your Vigour bar. You have too low Vigour early on to be parrying often.

6. Speaking of parrying, put at least one point in the upgrade to block from all directions. But remember not to spam block. It does not work.

7. Grit your teeth and bear it when it comes to the Prologue. Trust me, the combat gets smoother as you progress.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd recommend everyone to take the enhanced bomb damage talent, and make shittons of Grapeshot bombs.

They're just so ridiculously cheap to make (one of each of the two most common herbs) and deal a good bit of damage. Get a mob of Nekkers or grunts on you? pop on a Quen and throw four or five of them, they'll be dead before they can react.

Also, after you kill the Kayren, be sure to buy/make 10+ throwing daggers if you bought the skill. They'll make the boss in the elven ruins so much easier.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wolfprint wrote: »
    I have played video games non-stop for 2 decades and I just died twice in the fucking tutorial where you need to capture the ballista.

Did I miss something or is there ZERO combat tutorial? I'm pitted against a god damn shielded knight, 2h sword knight, 2 crossbowmen, and a soldier. I barely scratch the health of one of them before I die.

I'm obviously doing something completely wrong but the game has made zero effort to explain how to do anything.

It doesn't. The game just throws you into the deep end from the start. It's like going to your first swimming lesson expecting the instructor to start you off in the wading pool, but no! He manhandles you, holding you in a bear hug so your arms flail about helplessly, and you watch in horror as you go flying into the water with a splash, and after much struggling, miraculously discover that you can keep aloft.

Combat Tips (or so You Wanna be a Witcher)

1. Know that The Roll and the Mid-Roll Directional Change are your best friends. Always roll away from enemy mobs, not into them. Pick off the outliers first. Get a point in Footwork on the Swordsmanship tree if you need better positioning.

2. Roll around enemies that hold shields or can block. Stab them from the back instead. Aard or Igni are useful against them too.

3. Learn to anticipate attacks when they come. There is always a discernible animation when an enemy is about to strike at you. Roll away, and hit him from the back.

4. Use your potions, oils and bombs. They can radically change the landscape in your favour.

5. Watch out for your Vigour bar. You have too low Vigour early on to be parrying often.

6. Speaking of parrying, put at least one point in the upgrade to block from all directions. But remember not to spam block. It does not work.

7. Grit your teeth and bear it when it comes to the Prologue. Trust me, the combat gets smoother as you progress.

this is going in the op, awesome.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Here's something I enjoy for the OP, if you want a summary of Witcher 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6DcQdLvK1Q&feature=related

Ending spoilers for Witcher 1, of course.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tip for those of you having trouble against wraiths (seen some posts regarding them):
    Use Axii. Yrden doesn't work too well against them (I'm not sure it is actually doing anything, other than interrupting their movement). Axii will last surprisingly long on them, letting you flank their buddies. One on one a wraith isn't too bad.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    half roll is king, god, and emperor

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When you have quen up, blocking does not reduce vigor. So, you could do that if you're a major swordsman type.

edit- Yrden works on wraiths 100%. Stuns them and everything.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't like the new voice actress for Triss

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm not only witching harder, I'm extreme witching.

So I looked at the clock. It was 21:00. Figured I'd play a little then go to bed, right?

After a while, I look at the window. It's daylight outside.

I check the clock. It's 4:15am.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i got the next 4 days full of work, it sucks, i wont have time to play much and i feel like everyone is going to fly past me and ill have to avoid spoilers properly.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ugh i want to use the triss /order save but i don't really know what's in that one in the OP and am worried about it.

anybody know of any kinda save generator?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Agh, I don't know how I want to upgrade myself! I was looking over all the abilities in the manual, and it seems like the Swordsmanship tree will let you absorb a lot of damage. Many of them raise your resistances to high levels, increase your critical hit chance, and unlock some great group attacks and finishers. Magic is fun, too, though, and I love the Yrden and Quen signs. Alchemy is very useful, too. Perhaps I should just get the Quen upgrade and the bomb upgrade, as those two are early upgrades in their trees.

Does anyone have any idea how many talent points you'll have by the end of the game, anyway? There are so many damned talents, and each one with a second tier, that I'd hate to run out of points and be only halfway down a tree by the time I reach the finale.

Edit: I just did a Google search for the answer and apparently the max level is 35? It says you earn two points per level up, but up to level 7 I've only received one. I'm guessing now that once I hit level 8 and beyond, I'll earn two points?
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    ugh i want to use the triss /order save but i don't really know what's in that one in the OP and am worried about it.

anybody know of any kinda save generator?

I downloaded the Triss/Neutral save, loaded it in the original game, and then just read through the quest log to see if the player made the same decisions as me.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Apparently max level is 35, but reasonably you should hit about 30+. With one point every level, you are looking at around 30 points to level up. This lets you go deep in one tree (with two points in some abilities), and wade in another.

I don't find it really necessary to upgrade Alchemy, since most potions and bombs already perform as advertised. Abilities on the Swordsmanship tree seem like a must, since without them Geralt is weak and doesn't move so well on the battlefield. And also since Roll + Sign doesn't work as smoothly as Roll + Stab.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Swordsmanship is most useful tree initially, Alchemy has some good ones in the second tier, and Sorcery doesn't really shape up till tier 3 and 4. I'm level 16 after having gotten past the Prologue and the first town, so if it's like the first game you'll probably end at the high 30s.

Personally, I'd go for the Quen upgrades and the sign intensity boost followed by either Aard or Ignii buffs. After that, pick up the bomb boosting talent and spend the rest in either Swords or Magic. Supposedly, you can redo your talents at some point.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hmm. My computer can run the game perfectly fine at max settings minus ubersampling, but chugs on the prologue flashback cartoonish 'Riviera: Population 1234 ' cutscene o.O

Saphier on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    I downloaded the Triss/Neutral save, loaded it in the original game, and then just read through the quest log to see if the player made the same decisions as me.
    oh good call, I didn't even think of that.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Saphier wrote: »
    Hmm. My computer can run the game perfectly fine at max settings minus ubersampling, but chugs on the prologue flashback cartoonish 'Riviera: Population 1234 ' cutscene o.O

sounds like a codec problem, thats just a fmv.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lore question.
    What is it that makes silver better than iron for monster slaying?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Lore question.

Narrativium?

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Game has a known issue with not installing for people, the fix is to buy a new disc drive

Nice

Forced to pirate game I bought because of shitty DRM instance #4

override367 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ugh well it doesn't matter, i downloaded the Triss / Order save and it seems fine so when I tried to use it just now no luck, Witcher 2 doesn't recognize any witcher 1 saves even though they are in the right spot??

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Game has a known issue with not installing for people, the fix is to buy a new disc drive

Nice

How is this a DRM problem?

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Lore question.

The purity of silver? That's all I've got.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    aha!
    ok can somebody edit the OP? I found a working Triss / Order save
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4LGSJGAZ

It imports into Witcher 2 and all of the proper choices are made for that kind of path.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't like the new voice actress for Triss

Sounds the same to me. She seems like more of a character now and less a caricature, anyway.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wolfprint wrote: »

Nice

How is this a DRM problem?

Various things I've read suggest an problem with securom and some DVD drives. I've had problems like this in the past and that was the cause, which would make it securom's fault and not cd projekt

Not a big deal, I just find it hilarious. I could use my laptop over the network since it has a bluray drive (although some reports suggest those don't work with it), but it'd be faster to just download the first disc somewhere

override367 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    oh dear god, how do I invert the mouse?!?!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Inverting the mouse, for true playas.

This is one of the things they're going to patch in, but it's curious that it wasn't in the release version to begin with.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I am at work now and I have another 6 hours to go before I knock off. The hours are passing so slowly and I am feeling really unhappy because dammit I have this intense need to witch.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Could someone tell me what the Quickload key is? I know Quicksave is F5, but I can't find the Quickload documented anywhere. Mashed all my F keys with no success. :)

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Inverting the mouse god-damn, I died so may times in chapter one because I could not invert it. By chapter two I goggled how to do it. The game is incredible, on chapter two and it might be the best RPG I've played out side of persona 4 and fallout 1 in creating/realising a world.

I loved the way for instance they construct the character of the king in the first chapter. I really need to buy the books once they come out on kobo/kindle in NZ.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fucked around for many hours in chapter 1
    Even got Geralt a new sweet tattoo after he tried to drunkenly lash together a warship made of whores' asses

Eradicated the local giant spider/mantis/scorpion population as well
    I guess I'm ready to do the other half of Chapter 1. Jesus christ this game @_@

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    King Foltest is what happens when a fratbro pulls the sword out of the stone.
    Also he is not a duck

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PLEASE delete those saves from the OP! I used one from the old thread - Triss/Neutral - and had to restart about 3 hours in, when I realized I had 245k oren. Whomever made those used some sort of crazy money hack, and when it transfers a tiny percent to the second game, it still comes out as more money than you will ever need. This will completely ruin much of the challenge of the game.

Those same saves keep getting passed around here, at Gamefaqs, and elsewhere, and I keep seeing people getting screwed by them when they realize being impossibly rich isn't part of the game.

All things considered, nothing you gain from using a Witcher 1 save makes the game better. The plot is scripted, from what I've seen so far, such that your previous choices rarely matter - cleverly so, I'd say - and the gear that carries over only serves to be annoying. I.e. get ready to spend your first 4 hours or so going "yay new armor! ...oh, worse than the stuff I started with. Yay new armor schematic! ...oops, that one too. *sigh*"

Anyway, once more in bold for those in the back: DON'T USE THE SAVES IN THE OP. IT WILL RUIN YOUR GAME.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Beezel wrote: »
    King Foltest is what happens when a fratbro pulls the sword out of the stone.
    Also he is not a duck

There is no "fratbro" in the world cool enough to be like King Foltest.

Renzo on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    King Foltest is the best king I have ever seen portrayed anywhere. He's regal and arrogant in a good way, cares about his men and inspires them on the battlefield (like how he remembers their names and chats it up with the disfigured soldier). And he geniunely cares about his children which is why he's fighting the war.
    His exchange with his son is really great.

Henselt on the other hand is a pure bastard.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They definitely fleshed out Foltest more in the second game than in the first. It's amazing how much you learn about him from just interacting in the prologue. That was very good characterisation.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    thank god that invert worked

The save I grabbed is perfect too, came witih D'Yaebl, Aerondight, and Raven's Armor (although no oren's or extra levels or skills or anything)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png