As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An "Invisible" Rapture? Clever Girl

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd really respect modern Catholicism and it's focus on education and researched theology and mediated discussion about adapting the teachings of Christ, the apostles, the saints and the prophets to be relevant to the people of today.

The only thing that ruins it is the inherent corruption and politics in the Vatican and all those scandals where bishops just try to sweep evidence under the rug because the Church considers it self above the law.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    they sort through two thousand years of theological writing on the concept of limbo, original sin and the question as to whether or not infants are capable of choice and whether God punishes those without choice

they spent I believe months combing through the vatican library

right

I got that

only that can only be considered "research" if you buy the idea that these are impartial observers of factual data rather than self-interested philosophers deliberately selecting texts that agree with the conclusion they decided on in the beginning.

the Catholic church has a lot of things, but intellectual credibility isn't one of them

edit: yes, that's why the pope can make shit up on the fly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontifical_Academy_of_Sciences

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_Observatory

do either of these institutions have anything to do with the doctrinal revision we were talking about?

and are you seriously trying to argue that scientific inquiry does fine under the watchful eye of the Vatican?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    scuse me while I hit this thread with some real talk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKQQAv5svkk&feature=feedf

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    bezerk bob wrote: »
    Berk, who the hell was that bergman dude? Sounded like a Azathoth cultist, straight out of lovecraft.

As much as i wish I knew the actual answer, I think he's just a construct from this site that brushed up on gnosticism and other ideas

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    bezerk bobbezerk bob Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Berk wrote: »
    bezerk bob wrote: »
    Berk, who the hell was that bergman dude? Sounded like a Azathoth cultist, straight out of lovecraft.

As much as i wish I knew the actual answer, I think he's just a construct from this site that brushed up on gnosticism and other ideas

where did you get his obituary?

bezerk bob on
    You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are. -- Colonel Adolphus Busch
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i think it was the Cybernetic Culture Research unit, which of course when I now try to visit says the site has been suspended.

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Foolproof wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »
    Tossrock wrote: »
    I'll admit, when I found out 'Kaiser' is how the Germans pronounce Caesar it threw me for a bit of a loop
    I was thrown for a loop when I found out that's how the word Caesar was actually originally pronounced.

I think the German's pronouce it with more of an authoritative, Saxon twang than the Romans

But yeah basically.

Tsar (Tzar) is also derived from caesar.

Other spellings include Csar and Czar, which are more obviously related

It's pretty amazing just how much European culture was influenced by the Romans, even more than a thousand years after the Empire fell.

also central asian and middle-eastern and potentially even western china
    You've got temple statues in Japan which may or may not be based on Hercules.

The silk road is the neatest thing.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    bezerk bobbezerk bob Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sounds like a wierd dude. Gnostic masochist.

bezerk bob on
    You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are. -- Colonel Adolphus Busch
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'll admit, when I found out 'Kaiser' is how the Germans pronounce Caesar it threw me for a bit of a loop
    I was thrown for a loop when I found out that's how the word Caesar was actually originally pronounced.

I think the German's pronouce it with more of an authoritative, Saxon twang than the Romans

But yeah basically.

It's pretty amazing just how much European culture was influenced by the Romans, even more than a thousand years after the Empire fell.

So, you're telling us that Akuma is actually Hercules?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

But yeah basically.

Did anyone read that Nat Geo article about Dunhuang last summer? It's this series of Buddhist caves built along a Silk Road waterway over like, a thousand years. You can see artistic and religious influences from all over the world because it was such a major confluence of cultures for such a long time. It was totally amazing to read about and now it's way up on my list of places to visit. I got to see a traveling exhibit on it here, but I can't even imagine how impressive the real thing would be in person.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I learned about that stuff in History of Asian Art. Pretty awesome.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My favorite story is still the legend of the Roman legion that got separated and captured during a battle in what is now Iran, and they fought their way across the continent and wound up in China

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    My favorite story is still the legend of the Roman legion that got separated and captured during a battle in what is now Iran, and they fought their way across the continent and wound up in China

yessssssssssss Li-Jien

Antimatter on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    I wish I had faith like that in anything. Just to be happy for a moment.
    You can join me and others in the Taoist section. We believe life should be filled with peace, joy,
    In the Taoist view of sexuality the body is viewed as a positive asset, and mind and body are not set in contrast or opposition with each other. Sex is treated as a vital component to romantic love; however, Taoism emphasizes the need for self-control and moderation. In Taoism, sex was encouraged. Complete abstinence is frequently treated as equally dangerous as excessive sexual indulgence. Taoists believe that a man may increase and nourish his own vitality by bringing a woman to orgasm. The female's orgasm activates and strengthens her jing, which has a nourishing and balancing effect on that of the male. The energy released during either one's orgasm can be harnessed and led up the Governor vessel/channel to nourish the brain, for additional benefit to the longevity of that partner.

and orgasms.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

yessssssssssss Li-Jien

I can't help but think... why didn't someone tell Lo Pan about this?

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    he's climbing in your windows

snatching your people up

tryin to Rap'em so you need to hide your wife, hide your kids

hide your wife, hide your kids

and hide your husbands 'cause he Rapturing everyone out here

lock up your daughters, lock up your wife

lock up your back door, run for your life

the man is back in town!

HeadCreeps on
    vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I know where I stand.

tumblrlheqwhnorz1qgc4n8.png

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    I know where I stand.

i-cant-explain-why.gif

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh shit I just realized

If the Christians all get Raptured there'll be nobody to run Chik-Fil-A

NOOOOOOOOOO

Green on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's okay because apparently it's not all the Christians, just a large number of them

Hopefully the ones left will be low(to mid)-level employees of fast food restaurants

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    phew

Green on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I hope the Rapture takes all the homeless dudes in this city. I can't walk anywhere without being asked for money. They all tell me they're Christians or have recently found Jesus or have been saved or some variation on that theme. Them getting taken to heaven where they don't have to worry about where their crack and booze money is coming from would be beneficial to all parties, I feel.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This thread took a startling turn for the better somewhere along the line. All talkin' about history and what not.

Good job, guys.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I hope the Rapture takes all the homeless dudes in this city. I can't walk anywhere without being asked for money. They all tell me they're Christians or have recently found Jesus or have been saved or some variation on that theme. Them getting taken to heaven where they don't have to worry about where their crack and booze money is coming from would be beneficial to all parties, I feel.

I came from somewhere that doesn't really have a large homeless population, and the people that are homeless are very very hidden and don't bother anyone. I can understand how they make you uncomfortable, they make me uncomfortable, but this is like the 3rd time you've mentioned something like this.

I mean, worst case scenario you feel temporarily uncomfortable. On their end, they're still homeless after you walk away. So I dunno.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I started reading The God Delusion

It has made me think a lot better of Richard Dawkins. I generally considered him a dick before. I'm ~70% of the way through it and I think I understand why he is so frank about his disbelief.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Green wrote: »
    Oh shit I just realized

If the Christians all get Raptured there'll be nobody to run Chik-Fil-A

NOOOOOOOOOO

Or In-n-Out!!

#pipe on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    oh nooo you mentioned Richard Dawkins

all our work undone

a thousand pages of "I'M AN ATHEIST DEAL W/ IT LOL"

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Youtube hits for Richard Dawkins

debate with Bill O'Reily where nobody says anything particularly outrageous or inflammatory and there is no yelling of any kind.

I am disappoint.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey sarukun do you think the rapture will significantly delay the release of Diablo 3?

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I find atheism pretty interesting because I have a lot of friends who I consider pretty much 'militant' atheists. Two of them run a "Freethought" group on campus and basically hold debates with Christian organizations and seminars/discussions about different topics relating to religion.

They are the kinds of dudes who say "I'M AN ATHEIST DEAL W/ IT LOL" and are unapologetically up front about their atheism. A couple of them wear these temporary tattoos on their wrists to events and stuff as this "Scarlet Letter" campaign to get atheists to out themselves publicly.

I have never really considered myself an atheist - more like a very strong agnostic - but the more I think about it the more I'm beginning to see their point.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    sounds like they're trying to convert more followers

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    they're just trying to spread the good news

of atheism

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    evangelical atheists

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    #pipe wrote: »
    it's stupid

Why

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    it's stupid

Why

Because.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    because they will never get passed the argument from cause

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I always have a hearty laugh at people who think the first cause argument somehow translates into the Christian God existing

ha ha ha, haaa

Tossrock on
    sig.png
This discussion has been closed.