As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Best PC RPGs?

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Goooo summoner!

Only kind of joking.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I didn't realise Warren Ellis was one of the writers on dead space

As I understand it, most of Warren Ellis' original script for Dead Space got re-written while the game was in development. Anthony Johnson and Rick Remender, who are also really talented comic book writers, did a lot more work on the finished product than Ellis.

Hensler on
  • sirboxalotsirboxalot Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Brym wrote: »
    Probably true, but Dead Space was severely lacking in the SHODAN department.

Look at you hacker, a pathetic creature of meat and bone.

Come to think of it, EVERY game is severly lacking in the SHODAN department. Exception: Glados.
    *shudder*
    That fucking scene. You know the one.

Would love to reboot SS2 - are there any good mods/patches, along the lines of Shifter for Deus Ex?

sirboxalot on
    Everyday I'm shufflin' shufflin'
  • CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If the PC RPG you play first isn't an Infinity Engine game, you're doing something wrong.

PS:T -> BG Trilogy -> Arcanum -> everything else.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As many have already said, play BALDURS GATE 2. Now. Don't wait, skip lunch, call in sick tomorrow, and play that game now. BG1 is good and introduces you to the story but is nowhere near as awesome as BG2. After that, PLANESCAPE: Torment should be next. That's a game that rides on rails and is not as open-ended as BG2 in terms of character creation, altho for depth of story and character development TORMENT has yet to be equalled.

ICEWIND DALE is the same engine but is strictly a combat-based dungeon crawler without BG's or TORMENT's immense storylines. TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL is about the same but needs to be heavily patched to be playable.

Fairchild on
    edited May 2011
    Fairchild wrote: »
    TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL is about the same but needs to be heavily patched to be playable.

And where would one get these patches? Temple of Elemental Evil may be the first game mentioned in this thread that I've never played.

Hensler on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    korodullin wrote: »
    Well Darklands is an enitrely sandbox game with some very vague goals that do a poor job of giving you any guidance, which is something the OP mentioned not wanting. So I didn't say it.

Otherwise Darklands is one of my favorite games of all time.

Darklands is my straight-up favorite RPG ever.

PolloDiablo on
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    I never really thought of Deus Ex as a rpg. I thought it was more of a shooter with rpg elements? Anyway, I do have that. I'm stuck in Chinatown right now, though.

It's the other way around. It's an RPG with shooter elements.

Nope. It's an adventure game with RPG and Shooter elements.
    I love this game. LET'S DEFINE DEUS EX! Everyone loses!

Something that may greatly enhance your enjoyment of Fallout anoffday is not using all of your Action Points on your turn in combat. Left over points get dumped into defense, greatly enhancing your suvivability, especially in the early game. Start thinking of moving one or two hexes for best effect in terms of movement. Making an enemy move just one hex also can be the difference between getting attacked multiple times and getting attacked once.

I love the combat in Fallout (aside from big fights taking FOREVER to resolve), it's got some meat to it.

That boosts your defense? Goddammit why did I not know this? Did they tell me this? Why wasn't I told this. If I don't remember this next time I go to try and play it somebody remind me to be angry. Also, somebody remind me about the defense buff too.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    I can't believe it took till the 2nd page for deus ex to be recomended

System Shock 2 if we're going with that vein.

Yes yes yes, so hard. System Shock 2 is absolutely fantastic, and is the predecessor spiritually, of the very artistic Bioshock series. Though in my personal opinion, System Shock 2 is still even better than Bioshock was.

I daresay this isn't an opinion. Plus, it's actually a frightening game to boot.

Synthesis on
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    I can't believe it took till the 2nd page for deus ex to be recomended

System Shock 2 if we're going with that vein.

Yes yes yes, so hard. System Shock 2 is absolutely fantastic, and is the predecessor spiritually, of the very artistic Bioshock series. Though in my personal opinion, System Shock 2 is still even better than Bioshock was.

I daresay this isn't an opinion. Plus, it's actually a frightening game to boot.

There was a co-op mod for SS2 I tried with another PA'er years ago. It didn't make the game any less scary. Especially when the other guy quit like a little sissy man and those chicks with robot legs were walking around talking like they do...

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fuck cyborg midwives.

(No, not literally, dammit.)

Zxerol on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hensler wrote: »
    And where would one get these patches? Temple of Elemental Evil may be the first game mentioned in this thread that I've never played.
    Oh boy, it's been a while. I think Atari has the patches on its website ?

Fairchild on
  • badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    The P4 is ancient, like potato with copper wires sticking out of it ancient. In fact the "P" in P4 means it has the processing power of 4 potatoes.

Christ a P4 can play WoW, Torchlight, Half Life 2 and a ton of other games just fine. Quit acting like he was using a 400ghz PII on his IBM Aptiva to play Everquest (which I did).

Torchlight is really good, better than Diablo in a lot of ways.

But given the choice, go to Good Old Games (GOG) and do the Baldur's Gate games. Neverwinter Nights is good to if you want persistent worlds (basically really small close-knit MMORPGS but on a decent engine).

badpoet on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh boy, it's been a while. I think Atari has the patches on its website ?

The gog.com version is already patched up right away on install. But you do need the Circle of 8 mod pack to make the game playable good. It adds a lot of stuff that was removed from the game and plugs a lot of holes in the narrative as well as the games stability and bugginess.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    sirboxalot wrote: »

Come to think of it, EVERY game is severly lacking in the SHODAN department. Exception: Glados.
    *shudder*
    That fucking scene. You know the one.

Would love to reboot SS2 - are there any good mods/patches, along the lines of Shifter for Deus Ex?

There are some decent texture and model upgrades available. Also a Music quality mod, which I have not tried. There seem to be some more radical rebalance mods available, but honestly I don't know if the game benefits from using them.

Dehumanized on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cojones wrote: »
    If the PC RPG you play first isn't an Infinity Engine game, you're doing something wrong.

I don't like Arcanum. It's taken me a long time to admit that I don't like it, because I was trying to be e-cool, but the gameplay mechanics are just awful on every level, the world (for me) isn't particularly engaging, and if you don't design your character right you're pretty much completely fucked six ways from sunday.

It's a game with plethora of phenomenally bad design decisions behind it.

override367 on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cojones wrote: »

I don't like Arcanum. It's taken me a long time to admit that I don't like it, because I was trying to be e-cool, but the gameplay mechanics are just awful on every level, the world (for me) isn't particularly engaging, and if you don't design your character right you're pretty much completely fucked six ways from sunday.

It's a game with plethora of phenomenally bad design decisions behind it.

I've been playing KotOR recently. Arcanum would be so much better if they'd built it on that engine. At least the combat wouldn't be completely awful.

Frem on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL is about the same but needs to be heavily patched to be playable.

Yep - get the Circle of 8 patches.

You can find them here.

Elvenshae on
    edited May 2011
    I want to put this out here, but Sacred gold is like 3.99 on GoG right now. Game is pretty awesome.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    korodullin wrote: »
    Well Darklands is an enitrely sandbox game with some very vague goals that do a poor job of giving you any guidance, which is something the OP mentioned not wanting. So I didn't say it.

Otherwise Darklands is one of my favorite games of all time.

It EASILY had the coolest reputation system.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
    edited May 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Pretty sure what would have been SS3 became Dead Space.

Come to think of it, EVERY game is severly lacking in the SHODAN department. Including GlaDOS.

Fixed for accuracy. Portal wishes it had SHODAN, and instead gives us a half-hearted substitute that sings.

I give credit where credit is due. SHODAN didn't sing. GlaDOS does. Twice.

But she's no SHODAN. Being able to inspire a feeling of dread and fear is part of that.

Synthesis on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Come to think of it, EVERY game is severly lacking in the SHODAN department. Including GlaDOS.

Fixed for accuracy. Portal wishes it had SHODAN, and instead gives us a half-hearted substitute that sings.

But she's no SHODAN. Being able to inspire a feeling of dread and fear is part of that.

It's a good thing GlaDOS wasn't trying to inspire feelings of dread and fear then, huh?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If Shodan had the arsenal of fat jokes Glados does, then SS2 would be the greatest game of all times.

Zxerol on
    edited May 2011
    Darmak wrote: »

It's a good thing GlaDOS wasn't trying to inspire feelings of dread and fear then, huh?

I think GlaDOS could only inspire about as much fear and dread as the suspicion you're going to find a parking ticket under one of your windshield wipers. And that's if Valve was really trying. It's not really her thing.

To be fair, her arsenal of fat jokes is unrivaled. She just isn't scary. Or dread-inspiring. Or particularly worrying.

Synthesis on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I do not know if it will run on a P4, but Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines might be something you'll enjoy.

Also the original Deus Ex, if you haven't played it for any reason.

Dhalphir on
    edited May 2011

I think GlaDOS could only inspire about as much fear and dread as the suspicion you're going to find a parking ticket under one of your windshield wipers. And that's if Valve was really trying. It's not really her thing.

To be fair, her arsenal of fat jokes is unrivaled. She just isn't scary. Or dread-inspiring. Or particularly worrying.

I... I think thats the point. GLaDOS wasn't some fear inspiring super machine of doom. It was a snarky AI that was having fun screwing with humans. I dont think she ever once goes for 'scary'.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Thief series should all run on your machine, and are certainly RPG-ish; acquirable from Amazon these days I believe.

I'd also recommend Terra Nova and System Shock 1, but I really don't know where you might find them these days.

CroakerBC on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I... I think thats the point. GLaDOS wasn't some fear inspiring super machine of doom. It was a snarky AI that was having fun screwing with humans. I dont think she ever once goes for 'scary'.

There were certainly times when she was all 'jokey jokey jokey now im going to kill you' and the voice modulates and it becomes super fucking sinister. Genuinely sinister.

Sure it's all set within an off-beat, comical setting, but Glados could absolutely be menacing at times. In fact, one of the great strengths of portal is how it marries absurdist humour like Cave Johnson to grounded, creepy feelings of abandonment and loneliness in the underground facility.

The_Scarab on
    edited May 2011
    Being sinister/malicious and inducing fear are two different things. GLaDOS never once tried to be scary from what I recall. Angry, vengeful, petty and malicious, sure. But I dont ever recall 'her' trying to be scary or do anything particularly frightening. GLaDOS was always very upfront about everything.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    farbekrieg wrote: »
    kotor 1 for story kotor 2 for gameplay (just ignore any text that pops up, it wont get resolved at the end anyways)

I'm playing through KOTOR 1 right now, and it's fantastic. Highly recommend.

After that, I'm planning of tackling Deus Ex for the first time.

I'm running on an Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8GHz single-core, Radeon x1550, and 1GB of ram (I'm guessing we're pretty similar in regards to specs).
    Ha. Yeah, we are.

I've never thought to give KOTOR a chance only because I've never really been into Star Wars.

I'm nothing more than a casual Star Wars fan. Don't let the source material scare you away. The voice acting (especially for the period) is absolutely brilliant.

I'm 18.3 hours into my first playthrough. I just escaped Taris (the first planet). I can't even tell you how much I'm enjoying it so far.

TheCanMan on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    KOTOR 2 has a WAYYYY better story than KOTOR 1

it just doesn't get played out properly in the actual game

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would say KOTOR 2 actually does do a pretty good job playing out the vastly superior story, up until the end where it got rushed.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    KOTOR 2 has a WAYYYY better story than KOTOR 1

it just doesn't get played out properly in the actual game

Eh, I would say it gets played out better than KoTOR 1's story. As long as you actually talk your way through all of Kreia's dialogue,
    Both on the Ebon Hawke and after the Final Boss battle. And if you realize she spends a good bit of it actively lying to you. I don't blame people for skipping some of it, but it really has almost everything people always talk about 'missing'.

The KoTOR II LP goes way more in-depth on this.

Z0re on
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    While we're on the subject, where the hell can I buy KOTOR 2? It's not on Steam, GoG, or D2D. Is there some kind of issue with distribution I'm not aware of?

TheCanMan on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    While we're on the subject, where the hell can I buy KOTOR 2? It's not on Steam, GoG, or D2D. Is there some kind of issue with distribution I'm not aware of?

Its not on any of the digital distribution sites for whatever reason. Best bet is Amazon if you don't mind physical games, and I know that every Target I've been in for the last seven years has had a copy floating around the PC games section.

Z0re on
  • FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I LOVED Icewind Dale 1 and 2

Also LOVED NWN 1 and Baldurs Gate 1 and 2

FlipprDolphin on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Yep - get the Circle of 8 patches.

You can find them here.

Since it took me forever to find, I'll help even more: http://www.moddb.com/mods/circle-of-eight-modpack Get the NC version.
    farbekrieg wrote: »
    Further old school rpgness (i didnt see them mentioned)

darklands

any of the old SSI games by tsr
    pools of radiance
    the azure bonds
    secret of the silver blades
    pools of darkness

Oh, you son of a bitch

I was going to be the first one to recommend the gold box games. Or at least list them as they're some of my favorite, but I have a feeling the OP wouldn't enjoy them.

I'll also recommend Ultima VI and VII. I also like VIII, but that one has very mixed opinions (most people hated it).

Also:

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
    Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager

Sir Carcass on
    edited May 2011
    They maid Dark Sun cRPGS? Interesting... very, very, interesting...

CroakerBC wrote: »
    I'd also recommend Terra Nova and System Shock 1, but I really don't know where you might find them these days.

I don't know if I'd really call Terra Nova a pure RPG, but just hearing you mention it brings back such great memories. That was Looking Glass' best game, in my opinion, but nobody played it. I would do so many dirty, awful things to very nice people to get a modern day remake of Terra Nova. Keep everything the same, just give it a modern engine and add online play.

I was bummed when I heard there was going to be a Terra Nova TV show next season, and it has nothing to do with the game.

Hensler on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Yes and they are awesome

Sir Carcass on
    edited May 2011

Yes and they are awesome

I'll have to try to get them running on my PocketPC or Netbook. Or maybe it'll be my first attempt to convert something to Android... hmmm, this will be fun :D .

Hensler on