Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

An "Invisible" Rapture? Clever Girl

• WietWiet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Riale wrote: »
    Xehalus, I'd like you to meet my friend, the galapagos tortoise.

16k5ev6.jpg

he says that god exists. won't you believe him?

Ohmygod look at how happy that turtle is. The happiest of turtles. Wanna meet that turtle.

XStly.jpg
  • TankHammerTankHammer Extreme Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I hope the Rapture takes all the homeless dudes in this city. I can't walk anywhere without being asked for money. They all tell me they're Christians or have recently found Jesus or have been saved or some variation on that theme. Them getting taken to heaven where they don't have to worry about where their crack and booze money is coming from would be beneficial to all parties, I feel.

I came from somewhere that doesn't really have a large homeless population, and the people that are homeless are very very hidden and don't bother anyone. I can understand how they make you uncomfortable, they make me uncomfortable, but this is like the 3rd time you've mentioned something like this.

I mean, worst case scenario you feel temporarily uncomfortable. On their end, they're still homeless after you walk away. So I dunno.

Yeah, sorry if I bring it up a lot. The homeless folks around me are far from hidden though. There are usually at least 20 in the lot adjacent to ours, a bunch walking around our block and a ton that sit on the walls of the park between our apartment and the grocery store. I get asked for money going down to the Publix, half the time I exit the Walgreens, anytime I go to the post office and whenever I walk or drive somewhere downtown, especially if I am filling up with gas. They see Sarah's new-model car and wait outside my door so they can give me directions and ask for money.

And I do give it to them if I have anything in my pockets to spare, which is why I'm upset. I hate ignoring people asking for help and I would like to help them in a meaningful way but I just started working again and I feel like there's nothing I could really do as their situation is complex and some of them have been on the streets for probably years and have given-up on any kind of life other than living off of hand-outs. It makes me really upset since most of them are pretty friendly and lucid compared to the people I was used to seeing in the subway back in Boston.

I'll shut up about it from now-on.

4icmw.jpg TankHammer | 2zivq6q.jpg
    yUApdW3.jpg
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tossrock wrote: »
    like any good forumer I always have :roll: in my clipboard

and I used it because you were being unbelievably passive aggressive. If you think atheists are pompous assholes, say it yourself like a big boy. Weren't you just talking about how ultrabad it is to manipulate public opinion to express your own views?

That is literally not at all what he said and you know it. He said some people hold the view that atheists are all pompous assholes, which is entirely a true statement.

metroid_sig.jpg
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tossrock wrote: »
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    it's stupid

Why

because obnoxiously telling people thier beliefs are wrong never made anyone change thier beliefs

Uhm.

Thats not what they do? They focus mostly on encouraging people who are atheist to come out publicly and for those who have questions to come and discuss whatever they want. Its not like they walk around handing out pamphlets. Its like any other campus organization. they hold events and whoever comes will come.

Last week they had a Christian apologist group come give a lecture on abortion, then had some question & answer sessions.

They also regularly have panels and moderated discussions between different religious groups on campus.

FUCKIN ATHEISTS

Smug assholes.

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fellows, fellows! There's no need for all this fighting. We are not the enemy. Fundamentalists are!

edited May 2011
    I used to think that atheists were all smug assholes who acted like they had the whole universe figured out.

Then I pulled my head out of my ass and assessed my beliefs.

Now I am the smug asshole who has the universe all figured out.

yUApdW3.jpg
  • kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I, on the other hand, have absolutely nothing figured out.

Least of all, myself.

Scratch that: Least of all
    Spoiler:

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    women are easy, kingworks

well, the ones I like, at least

• Spectre-xSpectre-x Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And that, Kingworks, is why Mysst is legally required to wear special quarantine trousers whenever he ventures out in public.

Sig_link_image.jpg
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    I hope the Rapture takes all the homeless dudes in this city. I can't walk anywhere without being asked for money. They all tell me they're Christians or have recently found Jesus or have been saved or some variation on that theme. Them getting taken to heaven where they don't have to worry about where their crack and booze money is coming from would be beneficial to all parties, I feel.

I came from somewhere that doesn't really have a large homeless population, and the people that are homeless are very very hidden and don't bother anyone. I can understand how they make you uncomfortable, they make me uncomfortable, but this is like the 3rd time you've mentioned something like this.

I mean, worst case scenario you feel temporarily uncomfortable. On their end, they're still homeless after you walk away. So I dunno.

Yeah, sorry if I bring it up a lot. The homeless folks around me are far from hidden though. There are usually at least 20 in the lot adjacent to ours, a bunch walking around our block and a ton that sit on the walls of the park between our apartment and the grocery store. I get asked for money going down to the Publix, half the time I exit the Walgreens, anytime I go to the post office and whenever I walk or drive somewhere downtown, especially if I am filling up with gas. They see Sarah's new-model car and wait outside my door so they can give me directions and ask for money.

And I do give it to them if I have anything in my pockets to spare, which is why I'm upset. I hate ignoring people asking for help and I would like to help them in a meaningful way but I just started working again and I feel like there's nothing I could really do as their situation is complex and some of them have been on the streets for probably years and have given-up on any kind of life other than living off of hand-outs. It makes me really upset since most of them are pretty friendly and lucid compared to the people I was used to seeing in the subway back in Boston.

I'll shut up about it from now-on.

I have your problem solved.

But, you see, I had a job down at Georgia State in the loading docks, but... you ever hear of OSHA? Yeah they got rules man. Anyway, I need boots to go back to work and I found this pair in a pawn shop, but I ain't got two nickels so if you could....

easysig2.jpg
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I mean, it is depressing to see that as a society we basically write off these people. Yeah, some of them make up stupid stories, but after how many years they just get tired of saying "I'm hungry" and maybe think some out-of-towner will hear their story they've changed 60 times and believe them and give them a dollar.

I give money very rarely, if I do it's not more than a couple bucks. I don't really care if they use it for drugs or for food or for whatever, anyone can lose everything. Anyone can get caught up in something, maybe some people will think that makes them dumb and that means they deserve it, but I just can't see it that way.

Atlanta in general weirds me out in that way, and in other ways. I've been missing Pennsylvania lately just because I'm tired of seeing the rat-race for money, everyone is so worried about it all the time. Maybe because I'm in the restaurant industry and it's all about hitting 300 dollars a night when that's about half my paycheck, and I'm just getting frustrated, or whatever. Even if Butler is 15,000 people small, there are no bums sleeping on the street, it's quiet, and everyone is pretty humble. It's not moneymoneymoney, clubbing all the time, I feel like I can't relate to people down here. We don't even have hipsters, they probably won't hit Butler for another 8 years.

I have no idea why I am rambling in this thread. Sorry, end-of-the-world thread.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    It's really interesting seeing the mental gymnastics so many Americans (including many in this thread) go through to try and rationalize their feeling that either atheists deserve/earned the ire they tend to get, or that it doesn't really happen.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Because they are going to HELL and obviously have no morals. Why would you be nice shadow demon worshipers.

• FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thing is probably most of those people aren't homeless.

There are a ton of people sitting around campus asking for money - but its because people will give it to them. There is one guy who will sit in the same spot every single day asking everyone who walks by for spare change as they come out of a Wendy's.

I've seen how many people give him change and I'm almost willing to bet he makes more money doing that than he would if he just went inside, picked up an application, and started working at the Wendy's full time.

sig2.jpg
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    look, the real issue here is that Aquaman didn't put on a goddamn shirt to Superman's funeral

like, seriously man, no one wants to see that

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    AMP'd wrote: »
    This is the same man who predicted the Rapture was going to take place in 1994 (clearly he was confused by the coming of the Sony Playstation console, not Jesus)

remember the second coming of sony?

I remember the second coming of your mom, last night.

zappsigsm.jpg
    Amazon wish list | Please check out my wife's blog and jewelry store.
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

In Atlanta? "Most" of those people are definitely homeless.

1LRdqui.png
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    where do you live that people hide their atheism

In America. In the mid-west. Is this a joke?

I can't tell if you're being serious or not but there are a lot of people who do not want to "come out" as atheists because of discrimination and complete misunderstanding of what being an atheist is. They are afraid of being disowned by their families, friends, or loved ones. They are afraid of discrimination. I mean its not much different from being, say, Jewish or Muslim in america.

Actually. in the case of Judaism at least, it's probably worse to be atheist.

snip

at least Jews have Congressional representation

edit: strike that, I guess Pete Stark is still chugging along holding his CA-13th seat

you go, guy

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mysst wrote: »
    look, the real issue here is that Aquaman didn't put on a goddamn shirt to Superman's funeral

like, seriously man, no one wants to see that

He did it in honour of Superman's appreciation for Aquaman's chest.

Don't be hatin' Mysst.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

There are a ton of people sitting around campus asking for money - but its because people will give it to them. There is one guy who will sit in the same spot every single day asking everyone who walks by for spare change as they come out of a Wendy's.

I've seen how many people give him change and I'm almost willing to bet he makes more money doing that than he would if he just went inside, picked up an application, and started working at the Wendy's full time.

you don't

you don't actually believe this do you

regular%20sig.png
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

you don't

The free ride ends now, homeless people!

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think a character says something just like that in a book by Ben Elton

Stark I think it was.

edited May 2011
    I can totally see firmskater getting all riled up every time he sees a "homeless" person begging, imagining the sweet life that they're all living when they get home to their 3 bedroom condo after a leisurely day of panhandling.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • LTMLTM Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

you don't

The free ride ends now, homeless people!

One of the Portland radio stations tested the theory that homeless people could make 30k a year begging for change on the high-traffic intersections near I-5.

IIRC, it didn't go well and the guy only made like $20.

• FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nah I don't really care what he odes. Doesn't bother me.

But it is a very high traffic area and the dude sits out there all day and people give him money constantly.

Like, I'm sure he collects more than 7 bucks an hour

Which is minimum wage

sig2.jpg
  • kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FWIW, I don't hate atheists.

I don't agree with them, and I respect their right to disagree with me. In fact, I probably have way more disagreements/arguments with other Christians than I do with atheists.

• EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited May 2011
    Good god, I had no idea that the Eternal Earth-bound Pets guy was actually charging and making money out of the site

That... sure is something

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i think most of my friends are atheists, and of those only one is so annoying about it that i unfollowed her on twitter because i was just tired of her constant attacks on religion

“Hic non defectus est, sed cattus minxit desuper nocte quadam. Confundatur pessimus cattus qui minxit super librum istum in nocte Daventrie, et consimiliter omnes alii propter illum. Et cavendum valde ne permittantur libri aperti per noctem ubi cattie venire possunt.”
    Site | The Miami Grindstone | Twitter | Dropbox | Picture by Galen Dara
    edited May 2011

But it is a very high traffic area and the dude sits out there all day and people give him money constantly.

Which is minimum wage

I'm sure your deep analysis based on looking at the guy occasionally and seeing how often people give him indeterminate amounts of cash is an accurate way to determine a minimum amount that he must be making.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Good god, I had no idea that the Eternal Earth-bound Pets guy was actually charging and making money out of the site

That... sure is something

Sometimes the PT Barnum method of business really comes through.

zappsigsm.jpg
  • Cargo CultureCargo Culture Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love how a thread about the end of the world has devolved into how much money panhandlers make.

[SIGPIC]I did warn you not to trust me.[/SIGPIC]
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Polar Warbear ˁ ͡° ᴥ ͡°ˀRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sure homeless people don't earn much panhandling, but it's not like they have bills to pay or anything.

FYYss9j.png
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Druhim wrote: »

Which is minimum wage

I'm sure your deep analysis based on looking at the guy occasionally and seeing how often people give him indeterminate amounts of cash is an accurate way to determine a minimum amount that he must be making.

And then jumping to the supposition that "most" other panhandlers aren't homeless...

1LRdqui.png
    edited May 2011
    There are a handful of pan-handlers that make enough to pay rent and live off of it.

Of course for every one of them there's about a million who are just trying to scrape-together enough money so they can eat for the first time in 3 days.

yUApdW3.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Sure homeless people don't earn much panhandling, but it's not like they have bills to pay or anything.

And they sure aren't filing taxes on that income! What the hell, bums? Think you're better than everyone else?

zappsigsm.jpg
    edited May 2011
    What always gets me are the people that complain about how put upon they are by all the panhandlers. They're taking up so much of my time! Guess what? If you're responding to a panhandler that you feel doesn't deserve any money, if you're engaging them in conversation and spending ten minutes arguing with them? That's all your fault. If you don't want them bothering you, just ignore them. Even beggars are smart enough to figure out that someone who refuses to pay any attention to them isn't going to give them any money.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • LTMLTM Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Again from my time in Portland, there was one panhandler who was known to be a little direct and in people's faces.

One day he did it to the wrong person, and got shot and killed right outside my office building.

edited May 2011
    You know what? Even with someone that's "aggressive" and gets in your face, if you just ignore them they'll move on to someone else. Really. Even the dumbest person can figure out that someone that refuses to react to or acknowledge them isn't worth their time. I mean, unless the dude's trying to lift your wallet. But if they're just standing right in front of you asking for money, that may be what some people call aggressive panhandling but he's still going to find someone else to beg from if you just ignore him. And getting shot hardly justifies the perspective that he deserved it because he was being aggressive. It just means someone was enough of an asshole that they felt justified killing him over begging.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    one time a dude was begging in santa monica

he looked like a hipster, had a backpack and unkempt beard but was wearing normal enough clothes

he put a curse on me when i didn't give him any money :(

“Hic non defectus est, sed cattus minxit desuper nocte quadam. Confundatur pessimus cattus qui minxit super librum istum in nocte Daventrie, et consimiliter omnes alii propter illum. Et cavendum valde ne permittantur libri aperti per noctem ubi cattie venire possunt.”
    Site | The Miami Grindstone | Twitter | Dropbox | Picture by Galen Dara
  • Cargo CultureCargo Culture Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Quoth wrote: »
    one time a dude was begging in santa monica

he looked like a hipster, had a backpack and unkempt beard but was wearing normal enough clothes

he put a curse on me when i didn't give him any money :(

It was a really obscure curse. you probably haven't heard of it.

[SIGPIC]I did warn you not to trust me.[/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.