As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dark Knight Rises - Evanescence soundtrack confirmed

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I guess I had forgotten a lot about Green Lantern.

So lemme get this straight: his ring is fueled by willpower.

And he fights bad guys whose energy source is fear.

Right. This will garner comic books ("graphic novels") a lot of legitimacy as an art form, that's for sure.
    I don't think anyone questions that comics are an art form.

This is like saying that GI Joe will discredit film as an art form.

I didn't mean to imply that this is a make-or-break for comics; more of a reflection on comics-to-movies adaptations.

But hey, people went to see the hojillion mediocre Marvel adaptations, so I guess DC has a right to get in on the vapid summer movie thing too.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Really

you're gonna say Iron Man was mediocre

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Right. This will garner comic books ("graphic novels") a lot of legitimacy as an art form, that's for sure.
    I don't think anyone questions that comics are an art form.

This is like saying that GI Joe will discredit film as an art form.

I didn't mean to imply that this is a make-or-break for comics; more of a reflection on comics-to-movies adaptations.

But hey, people went to see the hojillion mediocre Marvel adaptations, so I guess DC has a right to get in on the vapid summer movie thing too.

Only if DC can do it right...

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I want to give anne hathaway something alright

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I want to give anne hathaway something alright

Is it a new hairstyle?

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    copulation

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

comic books have been a legitimate art form for at least thirty years now

one more silly superhero movie isn't going to change that

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Really

you're gonna say Iron Man was mediocre

I didn't say they were all mediocre (though frankly, Iron Man 1 & 2 were pretty forgettable in my view), but for every X-Men 1+2 or Spider-Man 1+2 they have fifteen terrible adaptations.

If I'm being honest with myself, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, V for Vendetta and Watchmen have probably spoiled me on comic book adaptations, and when one isn't as good as those films, I feel inordinately let down.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    what the hell?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    this guy's been at the Gaffer's own brew

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Watchmen wasn't that great

and V for Vendetta wasn't an adaptation so much as something wildly different from the source material

Marvel's movies:
    Iron Man
    Iron Man 2
    Hulk
    Incredible Hulk
    Thor
    X-Men
    X-Men 2
    X-Men: The Last Stand
    Spider-Man
    Spider-Man 2
    Spider-Man 3
    Blade
    Blade 2
    Blade Trinity
    Fantastic Four
    Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
    Daredevil

outside of like the direct to dvd Man-Thing, that is all of them

now while I enjoyed some of these more than others, going off of the what I've seen as the general opinion and reviews

10 of those movies are 'good'. 7 are 'bad'.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh wait Elektra

so 8 bad ones

and for the record the Director's Cut of Daredevil is pretty good

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    hey man blade trinity had a much better deadpool than wolverine did

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the point is that the whole emotional spectrum mythology is ridiculous and they should just have used starro or something

Crimson King on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The movies that Marvel actually makes in-studio (IIRC Iron Man 1/2, Thor, Inc. Hulk) are a step above the ones that got farmed out (FF4, spider-man, x-men).

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm glad that some people on the internet are way more right about blackest night than the writer's of the extremely highly praised blackest night series

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    the point is that the whole emotional spectrum mythology is ridiculous and they should just have used starro or something
    It works in the comics because comics can get away with being a little wacky. It is the nature of the beast.

But yeah it is super goofy when used in a live-action blockbuster.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Blackest Night was

well it wasn't bad

it relied way too much on gore and shock deaths and the main series was literally half of the story but it had some decent beats and great art. Not a bad event, but not great.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Never mind, walked away and then posted when I got back and this was put in there

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    brightest day was better but shut up

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    [...]though frankly, Iron Man 1 & 2 were pretty forgettable in my view

[...]V for Vendetta and Watchmen have probably spoiled me on comic book adaptations,

dude are you high

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

isn't the spectrum mythology like, all that GL has?

that said, it is a bit ridiculous that a universe-wide police force (and their enemies) would be based around shades of the EM spectrum that happen to be produced in abundance by the Earth's sun. I know Alan Moore wrote a badass story about the Lanterns recruiting the blind alien from the world without light and making it sound-based, but wouldn't there be thousands of worlds with a different dominant light spectrum from Earth? And how do sound-based GL powers work in space anyway.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Blackest Night had a lot more problems than just the rainbow ring power spectrum

like trying to milk cheap emotion out of bringing back dead characters as zombies

sometimes in extremely tasteless ways

glc047026.th.jpg

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    Watchmen wasn't that great

and V for Vendetta wasn't an adaptation so much as something wildly different from the source material

Marvel's movies:
    Iron Man
    Iron Man 2
    Hulk
    Incredible Hulk
    Thor
    X-Men
    X-Men 2
    X-Men: The Last Stand
    Spider-Man
    Spider-Man 2
    Spider-Man 3
    Blade
    Blade 2
    Blade Trinity
    Fantastic Four
    Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
    Daredevil

outside of like the direct to dvd Man-Thing, that is all of them

now while I enjoyed some of these more than others, going off of the what I've seen as the general opinion and reviews

10 of those movies are 'good'. 7 are 'bad'.

You're missing

Elektra
    Ghost Ride
    The Punisher
    The Punisher: War Zone
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I dunno. This seems like a fairly futile discussion (unless we wanna use RottenTomatoes scores, or something). I stick by what I said in another somewhat related thread in D&D: I prefer DC's pseudo-strategy of having people who can do the franchise justice come along and knock it out of the ballpark every couple of years, as compared to Marvel Studios's strategy of just churning out 2-3 vapid flicks every summer and cashing in on the commercial tie-ins. DC's also put out some really terrible films of its franchises (the old, campy Batmans; Catwoman; etc.), but I feel like the quality of the films I mentioned above, collectively, outweighs what Marvel has put on the silver screen thus far.

ymmv, of course.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »

that said, it is a bit ridiculous that a universe-wide police force (and their enemies) would be based around shades of the EM spectrum that happen to be produced in abundance by the Earth's sun. I know Alan Moore wrote a badass story about the Lanterns recruiting the blind alien from the world without light and making it sound-based, but wouldn't there be thousands of worlds with a different dominant light spectrum from Earth? And how do sound-based GL powers work in space anyway.

comic books

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Macera wrote: »
    [...]though frankly, Iron Man 1 & 2 were pretty forgettable in my view

[...]V for Vendetta and Watchmen have probably spoiled me on comic book adaptations,

dude are you high

...yeah, V for Vendetta was so far from the source material it was barely an adaptation

Watchmen was so close to the source material it was barely a movie

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh man I did totally forget the Punisher movies

I thought I put in Ghost Rider, I even thought about it as I was making the list

and I never saw Wolverine so I always gloss over it. So the Bad/Good is a little skewed in bad but it is hardly "15 bad movies for every good movie"

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I dunno. This seems like a fairly futile discussion (unless we wanna use RottenTomatoes scores, or something). I stick by what I said in another somewhat related thread in D&D: I prefer DC's pseudo-strategy of having people who can do the franchise justice come along and knock it out of the ballpark every couple of years, as compared to Marvel Studios's strategy of just churning out 2-3 vapid flicks every summer and cashing in on the commercial tie-ins. DC's also put out some really terrible films of its franchises (the old, campy Batmans; Catwoman; etc.), but I feel like the quality of the films I mentioned above, collectively, outweighs what Marvel has put on the silver screen thus far.

ymmv, of course.
    "knock it out of the ballpark"?

You are basing DC's strategy entirely on Nolan's Bat-Films

the only other superhero flick they have had was Superman Returns which wasn't bad but was hardly a hit

everything else was Vertigo which is essentially a separate brand and has no franchises to speak of film-wise.

plus you think the 60s batman was terrible so you are fucking broken

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »

The spectrum is actually a relatively recent invention that's quickly risen to completely dominate the entire series. I'm not fond of it, personally, but it's not like super terrible. However it seems ridiculous even to people who are hardened comics fans, I can't imagine anyone else will be able to take it at all seriously.

also the biggest problem with blackest night was that it resolved exactly the way people on the internet predicted it was going to resolve two issues in.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    all I know about anne hathaway is that I have seen her breasts and they were pretty nice

I saw ironman 1 but it felt like I was watching an updated robocop only not as good as robocop

Jars on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

ymmv, of course.

the only other superhero flick they have had was Superman Returns which wasn't bad but was hardly a hit

everything else was Vertigo which is essentially a separate brand and has no franchises to speak of film-wise.

I was referring to the more recent Val Kilmer / George Clooney Batman films.

Again, though, this is pretty futile discussion. I threw my opinion out there (and never called it anything but my opinion), people shat on it, and I don't really see where this can go from there.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I like DC

I really do

but trying to say their film work is superior to Marvel's is nuts. Marvel is destroying them in film, their only hit is Batman.

Now if we were talking about animation the tables would be turned

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

ymmv, of course.

except that Marvel only started the two movies every summer strategy fairly recently

all of the really bad movies were made by other studios who had just bought the rights from Marvel. DC is owned directly by Warner Bros., so they had a lot more creative control over their films.

besides that, how many good DC movies have there been in the last twenty years? Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight. How does that outweigh all the good Marvel movies made in the last decade?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Jars wrote: »
    all I know about anne hathaway is that I have seen her breasts and they were pretty nice

and now, so have i

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    referring to the Schumacher Batman films as "knocked out of the park" is pathetically blatant trolling

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Jars wrote: »
    I saw ironman 1 but it felt like I was watching an updated robocop only not as good as robocop

wow

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

ymmv, of course.

I was referring to the more recent Val Kilmer / George Clooney Batman films.

Again, though, this is pretty futile discussion. I threw my opinion out there (and never called it anything but my opinion), people shat on it, and I don't really see where this can go from there.

well, we could have a measured and reasonable discussion about the various merits of the films in question, you could perhaps suggest that while while marvel has made more reasonable films dc has made strictly better ones, or that you don't think the marvel films are as good as everyone else does, or point out that the dark knight counts for at least three marvel movies

or you could just get all butthurt because people disagreed with you on the internet

Crimson King on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

looking at what Hamurabi wrote again, I get the impression he likes :[ comic book movies more than : D comic book movies

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blank you should watch the title sequence of Wolverine and that's about it. It was a pretty cool sequence though. What came before and after it are better left unspoken.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
This discussion has been closed.