As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gay Rights] Scott Walker still trying to get fired.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Minnesota House debating a ban on same-sex marriage.

Livestream here.

http://www.livestream.com/uptakemnhouse

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BigBear wrote: »

It's also come to my attention recently that Tyler's producer, Syd tha Kyd, is apparently a lesbian herself. I do not, by any means, think that lets Tyler off the hook with this stuff, but it does, along with all the praise they're getting from critics, listeners and the industry, make me wonder if there's something more to Tyler and Odd Future than the punk-ass skater kids I see on the surface.

I think there is. For all his shock lyrics, he goes pretty far out of the way in Goblin to point out that a lot of what he says is hyperbolic or completely made up. I remember him coming out against Prop 8, so that's something.

Now, whether or not his lyrics influence others negatively might be another conversation, but I feel like the album is a little more intelligent than Sara gives it credit for.

Onto another celebrity remark:

Charles Barkley on reported homophobia in sports:
    “First of all, every player has played with gay guys. It bothers me when I hear these reporters and jocks get on TV and say: ‘Oh, no guy can come out in a team sport. These guys would go crazy.’ First of all, quit telling me what I think. I’d rather have a gay guy who can play than a straight guy who can’t play.”

“We gossiped behind each other’s back before; I’ll be the first to admit that,” he said, before adding, “The first people who whine and complain is them Bible-thumpers, who are supposed to be non-judgmental, who rail against them."

He certainly seems to know what's what. It's a shame more athletes can't be this candid more often.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    charles barkley is in the enviable position of pretty much being able to say whatever the shit he wants

good on him

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bah, Basketball players... If they speak against gay rights, George Takei makes a humorous video. If they speak for gay rights, people listen a bit more.

Whatever they say, it's a net win for gay rights.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bah, Basketball players... If they speak against gay rights, George Takei makes a humorous video. If they speak for gay rights, people listen a bit more.

Pun intended?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Barkley's section on Bill Simmons' podcast this week was fairly interesting. Simmons did a half hour with the Phoenix Suns' CEO who came out last weekend and then talked to Barkley about his reaction and general NBA matters.

Simmons also at some point makes the (fairly bold, I think) prediction that an active NBA player will come out in the next 18 months.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »

Pun intended?

Hah, I wish I were clever enough to make a pun in a language i am not entirely mastering...

21stCentury on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Are there really It's Okay to be Takei shirts?

If the money goes to charity, I would be so on that.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, 21st...if the internet if proof of anything, you're a step ahead of most native speakers of English.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    But if you make it two steps ahead, don't forget to dribble.

Bama on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

There are and it does.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »

There are and it does.

That charity being, naturally, Focus on the Family.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I wonder what the reaction would have been if the bill was about defining marriage as between a white, christian man and a white, christian woman.

Is it actually fair to compare sexual orientation/identity with race?

21stCentury on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They voted yes, btw. It's going to the voters.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »

There are and it does.

I'll post a pic of mine once it gets in. Ordered it on Friday.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What complete and utter evil pieces of shit.

When I say that these people aren't worthy of the respect of human beings, this is exactly what I'm talking about: holding a vote to take away people's fucking rights. That's not something one human being does to another.

If there were gay people holding Pride rallies in front of churches in speedos and leather every Sunday, saying "we're here until gay marriage is legal," I'll bet you gay marriage would be legal in no fucking time.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, they shouldn't. But it's a fairly depressing constant in history really

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The look on that guy's face as he left the floor - the one with the walking stick. His eyes were horrible. Full of pride and contempt at the same time. That is a frightening expression.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's the face of a man who knows he's doing god's righteous work, and he permits himself no doubt.

What's that CS Lewis quote? Ah, here it is.
    It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BigBear wrote: »

It's also come to my attention recently that Tyler's producer, Syd tha Kyd, is apparently a lesbian herself. I do not, by any means, think that lets Tyler off the hook with this stuff, but it does, along with all the praise they're getting from critics, listeners and the industry, make me wonder if there's something more to Tyler and Odd Future than the punk-ass skater kids I see on the surface.

I think there is. For all his shock lyrics, he goes pretty far out of the way in Goblin to point out that a lot of what he says is hyperbolic or completely made up. I remember him coming out against Prop 8, so that's something.

Now, whether or not his lyrics influence others negatively might be another conversation, but I feel like the album is a little more intelligent than Sara gives it credit for.

Onto another celebrity remark:

Charles Barkley on reported homophobia in sports:
    “First of all, every player has played with gay guys. It bothers me when I hear these reporters and jocks get on TV and say: ‘Oh, no guy can come out in a team sport. These guys would go crazy.’ First of all, quit telling me what I think. I’d rather have a gay guy who can play than a straight guy who can’t play.”

“We gossiped behind each other’s back before; I’ll be the first to admit that,” he said, before adding, “The first people who whine and complain is them Bible-thumpers, who are supposed to be non-judgmental, who rail against them."

He certainly seems to know what's what. It's a shame more athletes can't be this candid more often.

Barkley is fucking awesome. Straight athlete who is willing to come out and say he's liberal as fuck in these issues.

He should be totes governor.

Julius on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    He also made the best game ever in the form of Shut up and Jam Gaiden

which I insist he coded himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWKQiZVBtu4

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Right around 2:22 in the video, the guy expresses my sentiments exactly:

"I don't know about you guys, but I cannot look at his family, I can't look at his picture and say, 'you know what Cpl? You where good enough to fight for your country and give your life, but you where not good enough to marry the person you love.' I can't do that, I cannot do that, and I won't do that."

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    So, if a male rapist were to try to follow a little girl into a womens bathroom right now, a magical forcefield would manifest at the door keeping him out right?

I think we've reached a new level of insane when it comes to our bigot propaganda.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Right now I'm on a political bent, as the run-up to presidential elections typically finds me, and today I find myself wondering one unifying question:

"Is a candidate's stance on civil rights, specifically GLBT and abortion rights, the most important qualifier in determining their viability for office?"

Note that I'm not asking whether or not GLBT rights or abortion rights are the most pressing or important issues of the coming election, because I don't really think they are. However, I do feel that a candidate's position on those issues says quite a lot about his or her suitability to lead this nation and direct its national mandate.

I've said this in this thread before, but I think the Right-wing arguments against gay rights and abortion rights skirt very, very closely to being unconstitutional on the grounds that they violate the Jeffersonian interpretations of inherent clauses of the First Amendment's separation of church and state. Meaning, if your primary rhetorical argument is based in appeal to religious moral imperative, that should be considered utterly invalid. I know well that the US hasn't ever been consistent in its application of those provisions and statutes, but citing those inconsistencies to support an argument to persist and expand in that erring tradition is patently and knowingly ignorant, and I wish there was a stronger word to use than that.

To the point specifically, if a candidate for political office has either the inclination to promote populism over constitutional protections and egalitarianism, or worse, honestly feels that sectarian religious positions are a legitimate rhetorical foundation for arguments supporting the appropriation or (more likely) restriction of rights and entitlements to anyone, regardless of any sexual, racial, or philosophical qualifier, then I feel that the only reasonable assumption that can be made is that said candidate is utterly and irrecoverably unfit to serve the public in any capacity.

Atomika on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o2YGH8bacE&feature=player_embedded

Fuck. Fuck.

If you stop businesses from discriminating against transpeople, it opens bathrooms for child molesters.

My mouth is hanging open. I don't know what to say.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o2YGH8bacE&feature=player_embedded

Fuck. Fuck.

If you stop businesses from discriminating against transpeople, it opens bathrooms for child molesters.

My mouth is hanging open. I don't know what to say.
    You say "thank you, the South, for making me feel so much better about where I live."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    You say "thank you, the South, for making me feel so much better about where I live."

You can usually scale how strong the evangelical's rhetoric is by how ridiculous their counterarguments are. Here, we have a politician equating provisions for transgendered people with allowing grown men to prey on small girls in public restrooms.

I suppose that's somewhat better than the "gay marriage will lead to legalizing bestiality" chestnut, but not by much.

Atomika on
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To the point specifically, if a candidate for political office has either the inclination to promote populism over constitutional protections and egalitarianism, or worse, honestly feels that sectarian religious positions are a legitimate rhetorical foundation for arguments supporting the appropriation or (more likely) restriction of rights and entitlements to anyone, regardless of any sexual, racial, or philosophical qualifier, then I feel that the only reasonable assumption that can be made is that said candidate is utterly and irrecoverably unfit to serve the public in any capacity.

That's a wordy way of saying "religious bigots have no place in public service."

I know you have a religion thing going on, but I don't reaaaaly think you want that to be the dividing line. If it's a a toss-up between a libertarian atheist who says "homosexuality is unnatural and biologically dangerous behavior, I have these Powerpoint slides that say so" and a devout liberal Christian who says "God doesn't play pranks on His children, gay or straight, we are all one in Christ Jesus and the state has no business enshrining discrimination," I know which one I'd pick.

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I've always wondered just how delusional Focus on the Family was....

Focus on the Family CEO: 'We've Probably Lost' on Same-Sex Marriage
    We're losing on that one, especially among the 20- and 30-somethings: 65 to 70 percent of them favor same-sex marriage. I don't know if that's going to change with a little more age—demographers would say probably not. We've probably lost that.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    mythago wrote: »

That's a wordy way of saying "religious bigots have no place in public service."

I know you have a religion thing going on, but I don't reaaaaly think you want that to be the dividing line. If it's a a toss-up between a libertarian atheist who says "homosexuality is unnatural and biologically dangerous behavior, I have these Powerpoint slides that say so" and a devout liberal Christian who says "God doesn't play pranks on His children, gay or straight, we are all one in Christ Jesus and the state has no business enshrining discrimination," I know which one I'd pick.

You'd pick the one that specifically suits your interests at that one given time? Or you would pick the official who was open to choosing the best position based on logic and informed rhetoric?

Atomika on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Remove the word 'religious' and I think very few people would have a problem with the sentence. Hell, most people probably wouldn't mind it as is.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've always wondered just how delusional Focus on the Family was....

Focus on the Family CEO: 'We've Probably Lost' on Same-Sex Marriage
    We're losing on that one, especially among the 20- and 30-somethings: 65 to 70 percent of them favor same-sex marriage. I don't know if that's going to change with a little more age—demographers would say probably not. We've probably lost that.

Ahaha go younger generation!

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »

Remove the word 'religious' and I think very few people would have a problem with the sentence. Hell, most people probably wouldn't mind it as is.

It is something we have talked about before, and I believe our current generation is increasingly willing to criticize religious beliefs when they conflict negatively with society. Previously, when people criticized or discriminated against religion, it was usually based out of baseless religious strife (i.e., people who hated Catholics because they were Protestant) and no valid reason otherwise. So we enacted laws, rightly so, to protect people from being discriminated against based on their religion.

But now we see religion being used as a shield from criticism, because once you apply the adjective "religious" to the word "bigot" suddenly it's okay to be a non-knowing ass because you "believe it to be true." As a result, we are seeing the lines increasingly drawn on the left between those who wish to keep religions free from any criticism, and those who want to say "no, that belief and attitude is fucking stupid, you're a bad person for believing so, and saying it's your religion is no excuse for being a terrible human being."

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So how much money is the Mormon Church going to spend interfering with another state's vote?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So how much money is the Mormon Church going to spend interfering with another state's vote?

Is it wrong to hope a LOT?

I want to see their bottom-line suffer, and for them to lose more members like they did after Prop 8.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I want to see their bottom-line suffer, and for them to lose more members like they did after Prop 8.

I don't know much about it, but I'd say it's wrong. Aren't churches usually spending most of their money on charitable stuff? Like food and clothes for the needy and such?

21stCentury on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I don't know much about it, but I'd say it's wrong. Aren't churches usually spending most of their money on charitable stuff? Like food and clothes for the needy and such?
    They spent thousands towards to the Pop 8 vote in CA. We can have a charity that doesn't support bigotry on the side.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.