As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wedding attire question

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Haven't been to a wedding in forever and I suck at fashion so I need some quick help.

I have a dark suit, which I wear with black dress pants, shoes and black tie. This seems a bit too much for the wedding, as I don't want to look like I'm going to a funeral. Should I change it up? And if so, how.

Changing the suit color isn't an option since my other suits don't fit me anymore (too big happily :) ) but everything else is.

Kyougu on

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I assume by "suit" you actually mean "suit jacket," since a suit generally refers to matching jacket and pants.

No need to change things up - a dark suit works fine for a wedding. Add a brightly colored tie if you want to spice it up a little bit.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just avoid a white shirt and black tie and you'll avoid looking like you were expecting a funeral.

And yes, a suit refers to both trousers and jacket, so unless you're wearing two pairs of trousers, then you don't need to say you have a black suit and black trousers. And if you are wearing two pairs of trousers, then stop doing that.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sorry, early morning. Yep I mean jacket.

So like I said, I'm horrible with fashion. Would a blue tie be fine?

Kyougu on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It depends on the colour of your shirt.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is your blazer "dark" or "black". If it does not match the color/fabric of the pants it could look downright fuckawful to the point that you might be better off wearing dress khakis with the jacket.

Just my 'pinion.

Deebaser on
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you want to be really crazzzzzzzzzy you can wear a shirt thats a color other than white, along with a non-black tie.

Granted some of the advice changes depending on the type of wedding you are going to. If its for whatever reason going to be a very fancy wedding(like the brides parents are loaded), then you should probably go more subdued.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A dude can't overdress for a wedding unless you're wearing a tux. Wearing a sportcoat and pants is acceptable wear for an adult male virtually everywhere.

LaPuzza on
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah unless you're going to a wedding in a decomissioned aircraft hangar that is also somehow an honest-to-god carnival*, a suit is never inappropriate attire. You can always take off the jacket and tie if you look overdressed.

*been there, done that

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yup, go buy a colored shirt and tie. A lot of stores these days even have nice little shirt/tie combo packs if you are concerned that you might pick out a colored shirt and colored tie that don't look nice together.

And your pants should exactly match your jacket.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Go to a department store and find a dress shirt that would go good with a black jacket, sometimes they are already paired, or you can find something you like on a maniquin. Then walk over to the ties and find a color the compliments it, even ask the help of a girl employee and she can help you typically. Bonus if you're single, it give you a chance to talk up a pretty girl, potentially.

Also I'll 2nd the problem with black blazer with separate black trousers. If the texture, material, color are off and noticeable then it comes across as a poor mans suit and looks tacky. Typically blazer/sport jackets don't match the pants and a suit comes matched.

I'm going to a wedding in a couple of weeks and I need to go get a suit (I feel), but I've never shopped for a suit before and I'm a bit nervous. I'm not a big fan of the sports jacket/ blazer thing for myself, for others it can work, but I always feel stupid. I need to decide what color suit to get, and I was thinking some form of gray/charcoal. I don't want brown particularly and black is a bit TOO much for my only suit. I'll likely buy a 2nd suit down the line and make it black perhaps, for when I do go to a funeral.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Do you have pics of this combo in action? It could either be decent or the worst choice.

Deebaser on
    edited May 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Changing the suit color isn't an option since my other suits don't fit me anymore (too big happily :) ) but everything else is.

If they're decent suits worth keeping, you can get them altered.

Deebaser on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Assuming your pants and jacket are both black (and the same black at that), nobody will look at you funny for wearing a white shirt and any tie at all (that doesn't have cartoons or something on it). Men's dress attire is easy if you want it to be. Black suit, white shirt, any tie you can grab.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • HurtdogHurtdog Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For a wedding afterparty I have a black shirt and khakis but no idea of what kind or color of shoes I should wear with these can somebody help.

There will also be dancing so I preferably need decently flexible shoes without too much friction on the soles

Hurtdog on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Black

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • HurtdogHurtdog Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought black shoes with khakis is crap

Hurtdog on
    edited May 2011
    with a black shirt it'll look alright.

Deebaser on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is foregoing a tie an option? That can help to distance yourself from the "funeral" look. Combining that with a non-white shirt (dark blues and purples are good) can give a nice effect.

Dhalphir on
    edited May 2011
    The funeral look is a black suit with a black tie and a white shirt. And I'd still wear that to a wedding. Anything short of that isn't a funeral look, it's just dressed up. The only time I've ever gotten a wayward comment was when I wore a dark blue suit, dark tie and a white shirt to a total shithole divebar after work, and even then I just got asked if I was a funeral home director or a lawyer by some joking, toothless, drunk at 4:00 PM on a Tuesday wearing a cutoff shit and cutoff jeans.

If someone doesn't like you dressing like an adult, that's their failure. At life.
    Hurtdog wrote: »
    I thought black shoes with khakis is crap

It could be done, I suppose, but that better be one hell of a well assembled outfit. The wrong anything would make it look like a Goodwill outfit. Another plus on the suit or dark sportcoat/dark pants white shirt and tie look - it's unfuckupable.

LaPuzza on
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    If the tie isn't black, you won't look funerary. Given that you're going to a wedding, you should go with pale gray or silver in a subtle pattern such as houndstooth or Macclesfield. Ties of this type are actually called "wedding ties" in some circle. If you want to add a bit more color, you could add a buff waistcoat.

Bagginses on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Is foregoing a tie an option? That can help to distance yourself from the "funeral" look. Combining that with a non-white shirt (dark blues and purples are good) can give a nice effect.

No. It's not an option until 4 hours into the reception when the groom is so sloshed that this tie has moved from around his neck to around his forehead. Then you can take that as a sign that it is fine to lose the tie.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is why I personally do not like plain black suits. It's really hard to find something to go with them which isn't a plain colour. If it was a pin stripe you could probably work in more summer colours but you will need more winter/autumn.

I would suggest a plain texture single coloured shirt. If it was me I'd be looking at a subdued dark earthy green or perhaps purple. Maybe a lightish brown or a yellow tan. Basically muted colours. Typical deep business blue would also contrast nicely.

For a tie, black will work fine but it will look quite formal, but very sharp Alternatively a diagonally striped tie which is the same as your shirt colour with maybe a black complimentary or silver if you can match it with your watch/cufflinks. You could also experiment with bringing in a third colour onto the tie. I mean f you did a flue shirt you could also have a red tie, but you run the risk of looking like a banker.

With the exception of the beach never worry about overdressing.

In advice to the other dude buy a suit that isn't plain black, look at charcoal, grey or dark blue. Personally I am a huge fan of pin stripe.

Blake T on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Additionally if you have the time/money consider a tailored shirt as the ones bought off the rack seem to fit you like a bag. A tailored shirt will look a million times better on you especially at the end of the night when people take off their jackets because it's too warm from dancing you will be the snappiest guy there.

And VoC is right. You arent a farmer and this is a wedding. There isn't an excuse not to wear a tie.

Blake T on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »

No. It's not an option until 4 hours into the reception when the groom is so sloshed that this tie has moved from around his neck to around his forehead. Then you can take that as a sign that it is fine to lose the tie.

planning my own wedding right now and not planning to wear a tie myself.

not saying our situation is entirely typical, but worth asking the question by me in case the groom of the OPs wedding was going for a similar plan

ties are over-rated.

Dhalphir on
    edited May 2011
    Yes but unless the dress says casual you wear a tie because that's what they ask you to wear by specifying buisness casual of anything above that means wear a tie and it's their wedding and if they ask you to wear a fro wig you do it.

Blake T on
    edited May 2011
    Unless it's specifically stated that this is a casual affair, the default is that male adults where a tie. Don't ask. This is standard.

Deebaser on
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's a he'll of a lot easier walk into a room and discover you're the only guy wearing a tie, and remove it, than it is to walk into a room and discover you're the only guy NOT wearing a tie, and make one appear.

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, this isn't casual (least not till everyone gets a couple of drinks) so no tie is not an option.

Thanks for the advice. I was going through my ties and found a nice colored ties that would go well with the white shirt but I still think I may pick up a colored shirt (dark blue I'm leaning towards) and just decide the day of the wedding. Gotta pick up new dress slacks anyways. I may post comparison pics here so you guys can tell me which looks snappier.

Kyougu on
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Yeah, this isn't casual (least not till everyone gets a couple of drinks) so no tie is not an option.

Thanks for the advice. I was going through my ties and found a nice colored ties that would go well with the white shirt but I still think I may pick up a colored shirt (dark blue I'm leaning towards) and just decide the day of the wedding. Gotta pick up new dress slacks anyways. I may post comparison pics here so you guys can tell me which looks snappier.

Personally I'd avoid wearing a dark colored shirt with a dark colored suit/jacket. There just isn't enough contrast, and I'd always feel like I looked like a mobster wannabe or something. You also want the same with your tie, you want some contrast to the shirt, whether it's a dark tie and a light shirt, or it's a complementary color such as a yellow tie with a blue shirt.

Simpsonia on
    edited May 2011
    Truth, a lighter colored shirt is more in tune with the season.

Deebaser on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I concur with Simpsonia. Dark color shirts are a little dreary in general with dark jackets/pants--typically the goal is to get a nice contrast between suit & shirt.

A lot of conventional wisdom says that light colors near the face are aesthetically pleasing (such as a white shirt or a nice light blue).

I typically wear light-colors for my shirts--pinks, light blues, sometimes green--and get a lot of compliments when I wear the lighter colors. Definitely less compliments when I wear my few darker shirts.

A lot of retail "uniforms" call for dark blue shirts (just think sales people at nicer retail outlets) and you'll immediately regret wearing a dark blue shirt. They look boring and uninspired, in my opinion, and you can take that with a grain of salt if you love dark blue shirts.

I use Express for my shirts--high quality, relatively inexpensive (for the quality/style). You could go to H&M which has a similarly nice style, but much cheaper, however the shirts reflect the compromise in price--they often wear out and look dingy much quicker.

streever on
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'll throw my own question in the mix.

Attending a weeding as a guest in the middle of June in Biloxi, MS. I was considering getting a suit (nice to have one anyways), but then I'm afraid it's going to be deathly hot and I won't be even taking the jacket outside of my room and then the whole buying a suit thing (for the wedding specifically at least) is a waste.

Thoughts?

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
    edited May 2011
    linen suit

Deebaser on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    linen suit

Definitely.

streever on
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    rockmonkey wrote: »

Attending a weeding as a guest in the middle of June in Biloxi, MS. I was considering getting a suit (nice to have one anyways), but then I'm afraid it's going to be deathly hot and I won't be even taking the jacket outside of my room and then the whole buying a suit thing (for the wedding specifically at least) is a waste.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't be weeding in a suit, myself. It tends to be messy business.

Seriously, though, just get a shirt, some nice trousers, and a tie (maybe a vest, if you'd like). Unless you live somewhere in a usually warm climate, where you wear suits in the heat often, I wouldn't recommend buying a linen suit at all. That could just be me though - I don't like the look of the fabric. All my suits are wool.

godmode on
    edited May 2011
    rockmonkey wrote: »

Thoughts?

I would take it as an excuse to buy a seersucker suit, but I'm insane like that, and your only suit shouldn't be that.

I would normally say that a suit is a suit and that's what you wear, but Biloxi+June might be an exception. I would look for a super lightweight sportcoat. Being able to wear a sportcoat in the summer because it's breathable is awesome, but very lightweight suits look like. . . well. . . something you should only wear to a daytime, summer, outdoor wedding

LaPuzza on
    edited May 2011
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    I would take it as an excuse to buy a seersucker suit, but I'm insane like that, and your only suit shouldn't be that.

I would normally say that a suit is a suit and that's what you wear, but Biloxi+June might be an exception. I would look for a super lightweight sportcoat. Being able to wear a sportcoat in the summer because it's breathable is awesome, but very lightweight suits look like. . . well. . . something you should only wear to a daytime, summer, outdoor wedding

With respect, I disagree. Sure if you're buying a colonel sanders costume, but we have the techmology.

burn8.jpg

That said, a light blazer is probably the perfect suggestion.

Deebaser on
This discussion has been closed.