As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Witcher 2: PATCH 1.2 OUT NOW - plus a hairstyling dlc

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hoz wrote: »
    There are no unique enhancements in the game, so feel free to use them because you can always get more with some coin.

I think he means more ruining a unique/expensive sword with sub-optimal enchantments, which is also why I haven't applied any yet. That and replacing things fairly frequently.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • KogareruKogareru Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also I've found it to be more enjoyable for me combat and general control wise to use the xbox controller instead of kbam. However, this causes a couple annoying problems inside the menus under the character sheet. When you try to scroll left and right between your attributes, your "perks" that show the ranks of the special skills you've unlocked, an the detailed list of monster information, the movement is so fast that its luck of the draw on where it will land. I tap the stick slightly and it flips through them like 3-4 times. Same for scrolling up and down said menu's. Anyone know of a fix for this? Anyone besides me play with the controller at all? :P

I'm playing with a madcatz controller (haha I'm cheap and the dpad was better.) I've been seeing the same issues haven't found any fixes yet though. I'm figuring CDPR will have it sorted out before too long. till then I'm just playing roulette in the menus (it's actually not to bad just one or two spots.)

Loving the game so far just got into chapter 2. :)

Kogareru on
    GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For swords there are no sub-optimal runes. What you get in Act 1 is what you'll get in Act 3, it's just a matter of picking the one that matches your playstyle.

Hoz on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Geralt has some pretty badass lines.
    'You'll be fighting Twigs, so-called because his opponents snap like twigs.'
    "I love these pussies with cocky names."

'Piss off.'
    "Have you heard of the Butcher of Blaviken?"
    'Who hasn't? They say he could cut a man down in a single stroke.'
    "Yeah. I can. If you don't tell me what I want I'll splash your guts all over the wall."

So I've got all three persuasion abilities at level 3 (can these ever fail? is there an actual roll to this level, or is it predetermined whether an attempt can succeed with a given person or not), and I'm curious if there's any way to level the others, like Strong Back. I could use another 50 pounds of carry weight since I'm weighed down with all these monster and crafting parts I'm not sure I'm going to need.

The descriptions of the boxers are golden. From memory (probably wrong):
    "He's known as Fliparse. Does everything backwards. Bathes in dirt, drinks before he eats, and asks women to put their clothes on 'fore he ploughs'em."

"His name Ledrik. He eats honey straight from the hive, drinks for four, and they say he can hang a bucket full of water from his cock."

"Bransen, also known as Tassledick. He hangs tassles all over his body. ALL over his body."

I also like that Zdenek makes a cameo appearance.

Yougottawanna on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Renzo wrote: »
    Just started Chapter 2.

I'm blown away. This is crazy impressive.

My computer seemed to think the beginning of chapter 2 was a bit much.

I mean, I liked it but damn, that's a lot of shit going on, and this poor 3 year old machine was not happy about it.

Vincent Grayson on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I found a better sword than Gwalhir before I was out of the dungeon, though it took a little longer to get a (much) better silver sword than Aerondight. Raven's armor looks like it'll be sticking around for awhile, so I slightly regret slapping two +1 armor/+x resistances on after finding the diagram for a +2 armor/+x resistances, but a loss of 3 damage reduction at peak isn't enough to make me regret having some a little earlier.

I didn't import D'yaebl because I had been seconding Harvall (which apparently doesn't import) when I was given it -- what's the stats? Gwalhir was 9-13 with the standard +5% bleed.

Yougottawanna: Zdenek should have remembered the two beatdowns I administered literally only three days ago. :)

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well I am begining to think my bug that has been realy annoying is all thanks to secure rom. Still havn't had any luck finding more information on it but sent a message to CDP support hopefully they will have some answers. Loving the game but man when I keep having to reboot every other hour it makes it hard to play.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i just finished the game and i am confused.
    what kind of ending did i get and how the hell can there be 16 of them? after getting a 5 hour long info dump from letho, i kill him quite easily and then geralt/triss/ivoreth walk off, geralt looks at a ladybird then all 3 walk off.. credits play and i hope there is some awesome post-credits cutscene, i await and one starts to play, only its just geralt looking out over the the loc from the tower, then walks back out of shot, the same shot that happens while fighting the dragon.. and then back to the menu wtf?

was that it? was something more meant to play? is this one of the bad endings? is it meant to lead into witcher 3/expansion pack?

i feel the epilouge was kinda shit and the whole chapter 3/eplouge felt rushed as hell.
    Three stories.

The main one the game is about, is about Letho, "The assassin of kings".

The second is the overarching story from the first game about amnesia, Yennifer and the Wild Hunt, ie, what happened to Geralt.

Third story is about the politics, the different kingdoms, the women mages and their machinations.

The primary story the game is about begins when Letho kills Foltest, and thus ends when Geralt faces Letho (either killing him or letting him go).

The other two stories are the stories told throughout the first, second, third, and who knows how many games. You make your choices (of which there are a lot), install different kinds of rulers during your trek (Henselt lives/dies, Foltests bastard daughter is installed/isn't installed/goes away, Triss is/isn't rescued, Iorveth/Roche are/aren't on your side/are dead, etc.

All waiting for the next game.

The discourse you have with Letho at the end will depend on how many people you talked to/what about, and the books you read.

The game actually does come full circle with its primary story, the Assassin's of Kings. It's just that the overarching story is not over, just as it wasn't at the end of Witcher 1.

If you play the game from both sides (Roche and Iorveth), you find out different things about all these issues (and can see that there are a LOT of different choices and paths to take, as they aren't Bioware binary regardless of which path you chose).

BlackDove on
  • ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm loving the art style more and more. I finished a wraith off with a fireball to the face and the lighti illuminated my runed silver sword covered in specter oil. I actually zoned out just looking at the eye candy.

Zafina on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This needs to be in the OP:

i-hfSTG72-L.jpg

I am so Tycho right now.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Any ETA on 1.1?

Hacksaw on
    edited May 2011
    On an entirely unrelated note, I feel the RPS article reflects perfectly my feelings about this game. Especially the part about the combat.

God damn but is it a pain in the butt sometimes.

Hacksaw on
    edited May 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »
    This needs to be in the OP:

i-hfSTG72-L.jpg

I am so Tycho right now.

Hell, I've been Tycho for like the whole past week.

BlackDove on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pretty much. This is one of those rare games that expects you to read the tool tips it has for you, all neatly placed in your journal. After that it's learn by doing.

I mean think of the fist-fighting. There's not a segment where the fight organiser takes Geralt aside at the start and says "Now in order to "HIT" your opponent, you'll see "OPENINGS" flash up briefly on the screen, and you have to "PRESS" those to..."

And it would be pretty naff if he did. I can appreciate where Tycho's coming from as well because well, it means that the game doesn't treat Geralt like an abject moron who got his swords when they dropped out of a tree and hit him on the head.

subedii on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tycho said he died 47 times in one section of the prologue (I'm going to hanker a guess that it was the monastery fight). That's all sorts of excessive, methinks.

It reminds me of sorta of like STALKER is in that regard. No big, full-screen tutorial screen, or the game pausing as it tells you what button to press while it unlocks each of your skills and abilities one by one for the first hour so, and then saying "ta-da! You're ready now!" No, here's your shit, there's a bunch of assholes, go fucking deal with it.

Gradual pacing? Fuck you, go choke noob. Eastern European games seem to revel in not giving a fuck about that sort of shit.

Zxerol on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The console version will have to have a proper tutorial. You watch and see. No offence to the console crowd, but let's be honest here.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When I did the prologue on my import playthrough, it was - as others have said - way easier than my first time around, when I was just checking out the game. I got the shit kicked out of me the first time and thought the ballista fight was too much, but the second time I was actually surprised when all the dudes were dead because it had been so easy. I stood around, bewildered, waiting for another wave to come.

Aside from technical issues like responsiveness, it's mostly just knowing the system, which, as noted, is scarcely explained in the slightest unless you dig into the journal.

In other news, a horde of ethereal wraiths will trigger bear traps, especially in a giant field of snares through which the undead are coaxed repeatedly. Smells like...victory.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fucking kudos on the easy qte option though. Its really the best thing ever

Canada_jezus on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    any tutorial created for the console version would have to be selectable from the title screen
    It(the mode) would also have to be titled "So you are going to die" or "Baby's first wrpg"

I kid.

In an unrelated bit of goosery, isn't that Jim Sterling fellow primarily a console gamer?

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    edited May 2011
    I disagree that the difficulty should be decreased for console gamers come the port. That's just going to result in a tonne of whining about how they got the "watered down" version, and to be fair, they'd probably be right.

subedii on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh my god, riposte is CRAZY.

The duels in Chapter 2 consisted of me holding block and clicking left 2 or 3 times and winning!
    So cool :D

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Any ETA on 1.1?

Current speculation based off the comments on the webpage point to either Wednesday or Thursday.

Tertiee on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Tycho said he died 47 times in one section of the prologue (I'm going to hanker a guess that it was the monastery fight). That's all sorts of excessive, methinks.

It reminds me of sorta of like STALKER is in that regard. No big, full-screen tutorial screen, or the game pausing as it tells you what button to press while it unlocks each of your skills and abilities one by one for the first hour so, and then saying "ta-da! You're ready now!" No, here's your shit, there's a bunch of assholes, go fucking deal with it.

Gradual pacing? Fuck you, go choke noob. Eastern European games seem to revel in not giving a fuck about that sort of shit.

See, I just don't get how someone can die more than say..2 or 3 times and not decide it's time to lower the difficulty. And on easy? The game should be doable by pretty much anyone capable of playing games and using half a brain.

It's still not quite "mash A to win", but it's easy enough that if you're still failing, that's on you. And the people who just steadfastly refuse to lower a game's difficulty when they're consistently losing...well I don't even know what to say to them.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited May 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »

See, I just don't get how someone can die more than say..2 or 3 times and not decide it's time to lower the difficulty. And on easy? The game should be doable by pretty much anyone capable of playing games and using half a brain.

It's still not quite "mash A to win", but it's easy enough that if you're still failing, that's on you. And the people who just steadfastly refuse to lower a game's difficulty when they're consistently losing...well I don't even know what to say to them.

"You're acting like a silly goose. And I'm no goose."

subedii on
    edited May 2011
    I died about 10-15 times on the dragon part cause for some reason I randomly burst into flames at times when I shouldn't have.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Any ETA on 1.1?

Current speculation based off the comments on the webpage point to either Wednesday or Thursday.
    So basically today or tomorrow?

Hacksaw on
    edited May 2011
    Klyka wrote: »
    Oh my god, riposte is CRAZY.

The duels in Chapter 2 consisted of me holding block and clicking left 2 or 3 times and winning!
    So cool :D

And here's the kicker: Most people that have played the game will not know about it, and will never use it.

It's kind of sad.

BlackDove on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I died about 10-15 times on the dragon part cause for some reason I randomly burst into flames at times when I shouldn't have.

You could still get hit by fire even underneath cover, because it'll move to the sides and shoot fire through the windows. You also had to be aware of its position, as it could be waiting above, watching for you to move out from underneath the roof to head for the next one. I had to wait until it moved off before I could run out.

I find that when I die in this game, it's usually my fault. It doesn't really feel like cheap deaths. Once I discover what I should do, then I usually can make it through a fight or sequence without a scratch.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dashui wrote: »

You could still get hit by fire even underneath cover, because it'll move to the sides and shoot fire through the windows. You also had to be aware of its position, as it could be waiting above, watching for you to move out from underneath the roof to head for the next one. I had to wait until it moved off before I could run out.

I find that when I die in this game, it's usually my fault. It doesn't really feel like cheap deaths. Once I discover what I should do, then I usually can make it through a fight or sequence without a scratch.

It seemed to me upon retrying that section several times that the hoardings took damage too and once they got to critical the fire would start bleeding through. When ever I let my friends try it out, after they finish the first 3 I tell em to slap on a fresh quen and book it for the second hoarding not once have they burst into flames.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
    edited May 2011
    I haven't died once that wasn't entirely my fault.

Bethryn on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really do like the mix and match "Tutorial" at the start. It gives a little variety.

Krathoon on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The only part of the game I had trouble with was the ballista in the prologue and Letho in chapter 1

after that everything else in this very long game was very easy to beat

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd even go so far as to say that by the end things were too easy
    I am fighting a dragon and it can barely even hurt me. This does not seem right!

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's baffling to me that an apparently sane, intelligent adult could try something 47 times, fail miserably, and not change what they were doing enough to succeed. Maybe 47's an exaggeration but even so doing something twelve times and failing is pretty bad. How can you not happen on an effective strategy in that many tries? Mad.

Changing topic, i've been reading the spoiler discussion on NeoGAF and in almost all cases the complaints about the ending are kind of meta gaming issues that are derived from people being uncomfortable with anything that doesn't conform to the normal bullshit gamey way of doing things.
    For example, they complain about the pacing being rushed. They want more time to digest the major events that occur. But that makes no sense at all from a story perspective - firstly, the whole game is building to this final showdown where there shit hits the fan, it should be fast paced, that makes sense and is exciting. Secondly, you are Geralt, one man who can only know about the events that he's involved in. I don't want some stupid fucking summary cut-scene that wraps everything up with a pretty bow, regardless of whether Geralt would know about it. Granted, the game isn't all that consistent on this, with the parts where you play other characters, but I didn't like those much anyway, felt pretty jarring.

The other major complaint is about the length of act 3. Well heck guys, the story makes it so clear that this meeting is going to be the finale, why the hell would you think you were going to get another 10 hour chapter? Just because it said 'act 3'? Also, the number of side quests makes complete sense in context; it's just a smallish ruined town with a few issues that need solving fairly urgently (admittedly the poker quest was a bit incongruous). Any quests to go off and kill 50 harpies would be totally inappropriate.

Other complaints about not being able to use the new kit you get for long, or Letho's info dump can be pretty much ignored because they make complete sense in context.

It's not a perfect ending, but I really appreciated how it didn't sacrifice narrative integrity for silly game conventions. It all made sense to me.

Jimmy Marku on
    edited May 2011
    It's baffling to me that an apparently sane, intelligent adult could try something 47 times, fail miserably, and not change what they were doing enough to succeed. Maybe 47's an exaggeration but even so doing something twelve times and failing is pretty bad. How can you not happen on an effective strategy in that many tries? Mad.
    Pretty much every time I die in any game, I ask myself "did I die because of bad preparation, or bad execution?"

If it's the first (things like a bad strategy, lack of character progression, not knowing what's coming or what's available to me), then I try something new. If it's the second, I just have to get better.

But some people seem to only ever consider that they've executed their perfect strategy poorly, and just repeat it until they get the execution perfect, when in fact a lot of the time, it's just that it's a poor strategy

It's extremely rare nowadays to find a game that puts you up against something where you cannot win by design.

Bethryn on
    edited May 2011
    The most glorious "aha!" moment in the game came to me when I realized I could combo Aard into my sword swings without breaking the rhythm at all. Most enemies will let you hit them 3 times (2 light, 1 heavy) before immediately blocking your next attack. All you need to do is "Aard, 2L 1R, Aard, 2L 1R..." etc.

It works wonders :D

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I guess that applies to most games these days. That's why I loved it so much when I first went into the Nekker cave, got destroyed, then realised that it was entirely doable with a better strategy. It reminded me of when I attacked the adventurers in the Waukeen's Promenade Inn in BG2, with a good strategy I eventually got those fuckers!

Aarding it up is sooo good. Even more so when you're fighting high up and send the odd enemy flying to their death.

Jimmy Marku on
    edited May 2011
    The Nekker cave was when the game basically showed you why Geralt would use bombs.
    You think to yourself "Pff, Bombs! Geralt is a mutant made for swordfighting, he can easily cut through all those tiny dudes! Why would I waste a bomb?" But then you realize that while Geralt "could" do it, why "would" he!? He's a professional, he doesn't want to get hurt. So he uses bombs on groups cause that's what they are there for and they keep him out of harm's way!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • SurfaceBeneathSurfaceBeneath regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't really understand all the complaints about this game's difficulty in the prologue.

I died maybe... 5 times? 2 times on the Dragon sections (once because I ran up the middle and not under the overhangs, once because I missed the QTE on the bridge). 3 times on the last monastery fight, which I will admit is a bit tough, but not if you use those bombs you have and throwing daggers and just keep dodging. The only function of the game I was at all confused about was that blocking and magic were both controlled by the same resource, so when I wasn't able to block it was because I had been using magic or vice versa. Everything else was mostly well explained if you read the tooltips and used your spells beforehand (I thought anyway).

I feel the complaints about the game's combat mostly stem from those who either don't use consumables or are not reading.

SurfaceBeneath on
    edited May 2011
    I haven't even skilled into the dagger ability. I'm perfectly fine without them.

Maybe next playthrough!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg