Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Witcher 2: PATCH 1.2 OUT NOW - plus a hairstyling dlc

1262729313263

Posts

  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I guess that applies to most games these days. That's why I loved it so much when I first went into the Nekker cave, got destroyed, then realised that it was entirely doable with a better strategy. It reminded me of when I attacked the adventurers in the Waukeen's Promenade Inn in BG2, with a good strategy I eventually got those fuckers!

    Aarding it up is sooo good. Even more so when you're fighting high up and send the odd enemy flying to their death.

    Jimmy Marku on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Nekker cave was when the game basically showed you why Geralt would use bombs.
    You think to yourself "Pff, Bombs! Geralt is a mutant made for swordfighting, he can easily cut through all those tiny dudes! Why would I waste a bomb?" But then you realize that while Geralt "could" do it, why "would" he!? He's a professional, he doesn't want to get hurt. So he uses bombs on groups cause that's what they are there for and they keep him out of harm's way!

    Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • edited May 2011
    I don't really understand all the complaints about this game's difficulty in the prologue.

    I died maybe... 5 times? 2 times on the Dragon sections (once because I ran up the middle and not under the overhangs, once because I missed the QTE on the bridge). 3 times on the last monastery fight, which I will admit is a bit tough, but not if you use those bombs you have and throwing daggers and just keep dodging. The only function of the game I was at all confused about was that blocking and magic were both controlled by the same resource, so when I wasn't able to block it was because I had been using magic or vice versa. Everything else was mostly well explained if you read the tooltips and used your spells beforehand (I thought anyway).

    I feel the complaints about the game's combat mostly stem from those who either don't use consumables or are not reading.

    SurfaceBeneath on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't even skilled into the dagger ability. I'm perfectly fine without them.

    Maybe next playthrough!

    Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ture story, I've ha daggers in my quick selection slots, 3 of the slots are taken up by them. Yet I've not even acquired the skill. Something is wrong with me.

    Big Classy on
  • WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am amazed how useful they have made daggers. Usually projectile weapons are an afterthought for me.

    Wolfprint on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Already, Act 2 and the combat is growing on me, mainly because it doesn't feel like I'm dying quite so much. Making any mistake is still kind of deadly though, especially with mobs, but whatever, just quicksave before everything and try a better strategy next time.

    Jintor on
  • edited May 2011
    I agree, the combat really grows in this game. What was a minor frustration in the prologue and the beginning of act 1 really branches out and becomes quite deep and fun when you pick up a few abilities. The ones that really turned combat around for me were the ones that made you able to dodge twice as much distance and the one that made sword strikes hit multiple enemies.

    SurfaceBeneath on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    On easy I didn't die once during the prologue (except the one frantic QTE). I've died elsewhere in the game though. Only once due to bs (stuck behind geometry), other times it was my own fault. In fact the game is almost too easy on easy, but in later sections it would have been more difficult than I was willing to deal with with me being short on time these days.

    Oh and:
    CD Projekt wrote:
    Patch 1.1 is coming soon! Most issues will be SOLVED!
    May 25, 2011, 2:53 p.m.

    Internal tests of Patch 1.1 are well under way. Our current target is to release it this evening. Please note that although we are doing our best to have it ready by then, the time still may change in order to be completely sure that the patch will function properly. This is our primary concern since there are significant changes and upgrades that will affect many users.

    1. Simpler and more reliable game installation and activation. Details to be revealed soon.

    2. Fixed the free Troll Trouble DLC download. It is now included n the patch so there's no need to download and install it separately.

    3. Fixed an issue that prevented some users from downloading other free DLCs (the ones given out with some pre-orders, special promotions, etc). The launcher now properly refreshes the list of available DLCs and allows for installation.

    4. Performance improvements: approximately 5% to 30% better framerate and faster game loading for many users, depending on their individual systems and game versions. Owners of retail versions can expect the biggest improvements.

    5. Fixed random crashes occurring on some systems, especially after saving and loading saves.

    6. Key mapping – allows the arrow and number keys to be used for movement.

    7. Added the option to invert the mouse.

    8. nVidia surround vision now works properly.

    9. More accurate assessment provided by the "auto-detect settings" option will help improve game performance.

    10. Removed a bug that prevented completion of the “Blood Curse” quest.

    11. Fixed a bug that prevented the additional link in "Extras" from being unlocked after winning the dice game against the GOG.com monk.

    12. GOG.com credits now work properly.

    The full list of all changes will be available upon the release of the patch. If you have experienced any issues that are not on the list above, please don't worry. We have already started working on the next patch, which will address other difficulties and bugs, including those related to specific hardware setups; e.g.. Logitech g35. You may expect this second patch to be ready next week.

    Patch 1.1 will be available for all the versions of the game, both retail and digital, except for Russian. However, we would like to assure our Russian fans that we are aware of the problems with the your version of the game (thanks for your reports!) and we are talking with 1C about possible solutions.

    Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    CDP people have stated that easy is really the setting for people who are just playing the game for the story, hence why it's really easy. Normal is how they meant the game to be and I think for most people it's about right - requiring that you use everything at your disposal to survive.

    Jimmy Marku on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    CDP people have stated that easy is really the setting for people who are just playing the game for the story, hence why it's really easy. Normal is how they meant the game to be and I think for most people it's about right - requiring that you use everything at your disposal to survive.

    I pretty much just Quen it up, attack attack until Quen falls and I start taking damage, roll out (unless there's a gap in attacks from enemies), Quen up again, attack attack, etc.

    Weirdly fighting groups of enemies is about the difficulty I would expect, but bosses seem particularly easy.

    Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You guys realize that the patch's "performance enhancement" is just them changing your witcher.exe to the one the GoG version uses, right?

    Hihi.

    Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm not sure about the 'console version will need to be toned down to succeed' argument. My evidence? Demon's Souls.

    Huge success and critical darling that wasn't even going to get a US release at all but then everyone was importing the shit out of it. All of this in spite of it violently ravaging your butthole every time you turn it on.

    Though I personally think Demon's Souls controls better.

    Man now that PSN is back I need to get back up on that shit. Love that game.

    Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN: Dr_Keenbean LIVE: Dr Keenbean Battle.net Drkeenbean#1951
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    CDP people have stated that easy is really the setting for people who are just playing the game for the story, hence why it's really easy. Normal is how they meant the game to be and I think for most people it's about right - requiring that you use everything at your disposal to survive.

    I pretty much just Quen it up, attack attack until Quen falls and I start taking damage, roll out (unless there's a gap in attacks from enemies), Quen up again, attack attack, etc.

    Weirdly fighting groups of enemies is about the difficulty I would expect, but bosses seem particularly easy.

    That's why I don't use Quen. It makes things too easy!

    Anyway, does anyone know how to use group finishers? I get my adrenaline bar filled and activate it, but it only ever kills a single enemy. It's suppose to take out up to three at once.

    Dashui on
    steam_sig.png
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Klyka wrote: »
    You guys realize that the patch's "performance enhancement" is just them changing your witcher.exe to the one the GoG version uses, right?

    Hihi.

    I doubt it's just that. I'm guessing what they really meant was, "You'll probably get a few fps bump from this patch, unless you had a SecuRom version in which case your game will work now."

    Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

  • WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    CDP people have stated that easy is really the setting for people who are just playing the game for the story, hence why it's really easy. Normal is how they meant the game to be and I think for most people it's about right - requiring that you use everything at your disposal to survive.

    I pretty much just Quen it up, attack attack until Quen falls and I start taking damage, roll out (unless there's a gap in attacks from enemies), Quen up again, attack attack, etc.

    Weirdly fighting groups of enemies is about the difficulty I would expect, but bosses seem particularly easy.

    That's why I don't use Quen. It makes things too easy!

    Anyway, does anyone know how to use group finishers? I get my adrenaline bar filled and activate it, but it only ever kills a single enemy. It's suppose to take out up to three at once.

    Yeah I'd like to know too. Maybe you can't have locked onto a specific enemy?

    Wolfprint on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've noticed a few things in act two, Iorveth path, that I thought I'd share. The skybox has an airplane in it. I was amused by that. They probably took a picture of the sky to use as the basis for their skybox and didn't notice the jet trail in their image.

    But something of actual import, there's an annoying quest issue if you talk to certain individuals about "places of power" BEFORE talking to the NPC that directs you to them. The journal entry in the quest log gets stuck on "talk to these people" even though I already had.

    Dashui on
    steam_sig.png
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wolfprint wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    CDP people have stated that easy is really the setting for people who are just playing the game for the story, hence why it's really easy. Normal is how they meant the game to be and I think for most people it's about right - requiring that you use everything at your disposal to survive.

    I pretty much just Quen it up, attack attack until Quen falls and I start taking damage, roll out (unless there's a gap in attacks from enemies), Quen up again, attack attack, etc.

    Weirdly fighting groups of enemies is about the difficulty I would expect, but bosses seem particularly easy.

    That's why I don't use Quen. It makes things too easy!

    Anyway, does anyone know how to use group finishers? I get my adrenaline bar filled and activate it, but it only ever kills a single enemy. It's suppose to take out up to three at once.

    Yeah I'd like to know too. Maybe you can't have locked onto a specific enemy?

    I just found the answer. Group finishers don't work on monsters, only humans and possibly elves. That's... disappointing.

    Dashui on
    steam_sig.png
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What?! That makes it significantly less useful than otherwise advertised.

    Wolfprint on
  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It was always hit and miss for me, sometimes one, sometimes many. I think it's more likely to be many if you're totally surrounded.

    Jimmy Marku on
  • mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd wager a lot of the complaints about difficulty is due to CDP's very unwise decision to let you do the tutorial in any order, and then not tell you that's what you're doing.

    My first time in the game, I got to that part, and he told me to retell a story, focusing on the important parts lest Geralt be punished. And then I'm given a list, one of which involves a dragon. I think, "well, this is easy, the dragon is obviously what he means, and I'll be tortured for answering the others." So I click it, and spend the next 30 minutes dying over and over again being alternately lit on fire or skewered in what I think is the very first part of the game.

    There's no reason to let a player skip the tutorial entirely, because no sane person would do that, even on a second playthrough: it's a huge part of the story with choices to be made, there are a lot of items to find laying around that you'll need, and you can learn permanent abilities during it. There's no reason to let the player play the tutorial out of order, either, because that means you skip what little exposition there is via tooltips and end up in over your head right off the bat. It makes as little sense to allow that as it would to give someone an option to play Chapter 2 before Chapter 1.

    If they patched that dialogue option out, that single poor choice, they could probably drop a ton of the complaints. Because frankly, anyone who does the dragon dodge as the VERY FIRST THING in the game through no fault of their own has every reason to complain about difficulty.

    mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No, I did the tutorial in order and then got very frustrated later with the unforgiving nature of the game in general, but whatever, past it now kind of

    Jintor on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I did the dragon first XD

    Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I also did the dragon first. Boy was it an eye-opener.

    Which I could do the other dragon :winky:.

    Wolfprint on
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As I've said in various places, anybody who feels the prologue is too difficult or unapproachable should just play it on easy. You can always up the difficulty to normal once you feel combat is too easy.

    It's true, there's a bit too large a difficulty gap between easy and normal, but if you're getting really frustrated by the prologue, why not turn things down to easy? You don't even need to use Quen to get through the prologue on easy. You can just sword dudes and maybe toss a few aards and ignis around if you feel like it.

    SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    3DS Friend Code: 3823-8693-5976
    Final Fantasy XIV: Neema Chelewae, Hyperion Server
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Because I'm a stubborn idiot okay!

    Jintor on
  • ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Klyka wrote: »
    I haven't even skilled into the dagger ability. I'm perfectly fine without them.

    Maybe next playthrough!

    I think daggers give you a mutagen slot. Sweet sweet mutagens.

    Zafina on
  • WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zafina wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    I haven't even skilled into the dagger ability. I'm perfectly fine without them.

    Maybe next playthrough!

    I think daggers give you a mutagen slot. Sweet sweet mutagens.

    Nope they don't. They are too low level for them. Only Fortitude and Arrow Redirection do.

    Daggers do give you a quest in Act 1 though.

    Wolfprint on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As I've said in various places, anybody who feels the prologue is too difficult or unapproachable should just play it on easy. You can always up the difficulty to normal once you feel combat is too easy.

    It's true, there's a bit too large a difficulty gap between easy and normal, but if you're getting really frustrated by the prologue, why not turn things down to easy? You don't even need to use Quen to get through the prologue on easy. You can just sword dudes and maybe toss a few aards and ignis around if you feel like it.

    Lemme explain. First impressions are a huge, huge deal. Imagine if a gamer's first impression of his shiny new, highly anticipated game is...repeated dragon death. That's a real shitty feeling imprinted on the gamer before he has even considered turning down the difficulty. It's the tutorial part, for god's sakes :P there's teaching someone to swim by throwing him in the pool and then there's this game's tutorial.

    Also, the game has just communicated an untruth to the player: that normal will assrape you seven ways to Sunday. (the proper message should be: normal will assrape you until you're out of the fucked up tutorial bit)

    You should try your damn hardest to sell the player on the game in the first segment, not bore him to death or crush him repeatedly.

    Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zafina wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    I haven't even skilled into the dagger ability. I'm perfectly fine without them.

    Maybe next playthrough!

    I think daggers give you a mutagen slot. Sweet sweet mutagens.

    D:

    Must skill!

    Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    I've noticed a few things in act two, Iorveth path, that I thought I'd share. The skybox has an airplane in it. I was amused by that. They probably took a picture of the sky to use as the basis for their skybox and didn't notice the jet trail in their image.

    But something of actual import, there's an annoying quest issue if you talk to certain individuals about "places of power" BEFORE talking to the NPC that directs you to them. The journal entry in the quest log gets stuck on "talk to these people" even though I already had.

    its actually supposed to be a comet, its there in chapter 3 too and theres a note somewhere about comets i remember reading.

    Deaderinred on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »
    i just finished the game and i am confused.
    what kind of ending did i get and how the hell can there be 16 of them? after getting a 5 hour long info dump from letho, i kill him quite easily and then geralt/triss/ivoreth walk off, geralt looks at a ladybird then all 3 walk off.. credits play and i hope there is some awesome post-credits cutscene, i await and one starts to play, only its just geralt looking out over the the loc from the tower, then walks back out of shot, the same shot that happens while fighting the dragon.. and then back to the menu wtf?

    was that it? was something more meant to play? is this one of the bad endings? is it meant to lead into witcher 3/expansion pack?

    i feel the epilouge was kinda shit and the whole chapter 3/eplouge felt rushed as hell.
    Three stories.

    The main one the game is about, is about Letho, "The assassin of kings".

    The second is the overarching story from the first game about amnesia, Yennifer and the Wild Hunt, ie, what happened to Geralt.

    Third story is about the politics, the different kingdoms, the women mages and their machinations.

    The primary story the game is about begins when Letho kills Foltest, and thus ends when Geralt faces Letho (either killing him or letting him go).

    The other two stories are the stories told throughout the first, second, third, and who knows how many games. You make your choices (of which there are a lot), install different kinds of rulers during your trek (Henselt lives/dies, Foltests bastard daughter is installed/isn't installed/goes away, Triss is/isn't rescued, Iorveth/Roche are/aren't on your side/are dead, etc.

    All waiting for the next game.

    The discourse you have with Letho at the end will depend on how many people you talked to/what about, and the books you read.

    The game actually does come full circle with its primary story, the Assassin's of Kings. It's just that the overarching story is not over, just as it wasn't at the end of Witcher 1.

    If you play the game from both sides (Roche and Iorveth), you find out different things about all these issues (and can see that there are a LOT of different choices and paths to take, as they aren't Bioware binary regardless of which path you chose).
    ahh that makes more sense when you look at it that way.. all the way to the end i was expecting witcher 1 style of story, or some actual last scene of the wild hunt riders in their full glory or something rather then the artwork ones to tie more into the next game, or the expansion pack.

    still im going to do the other path when the patch hits, the credits though may of spoiled something for me,
    roche killing henselt?

    Deaderinred on
  • ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Klyka wrote: »
    Zafina wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    I haven't even skilled into the dagger ability. I'm perfectly fine without them.

    Maybe next playthrough!

    I think daggers give you a mutagen slot. Sweet sweet mutagens.

    D:

    Must skill!

    I was wrong no mutagen slot. Arrow redirect and fortitude do have slots and in all likelyhood you'd want to take 2/2 fort for the extra vigor bar.

    I think I ended up going with:

    Vigor Regen:1/2
    Hardiness:0/2
    Parrying:1/2
    Dagger Throw:1/2
    Arrow Redirect:1/2 [Greater Critical Mutagen]
    Fortitude:2/2 [Greater Critical Mutagen]

    Critical mutagens are great I think I had like >60% chance to crit by the end. It was like harvesting wheat.

    Zafina on
  • mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ending spoilers
    I've been trying really hard to figure out why the ending sort of sat poorly with me, and I think I've got it. It's Letho. Specifically, it's his reasoning for doing everything. Throughout the game he's one step ahead, always, and continues to imply that he has some grand master plan. A plan that - given how many times he taunts but doesn't kill you - may not be as evil as you originally thought. And then he starts getting tied into Geralt's memories, and that again tied into the Wild Hunt, and we - well, I did, at least - begin to suspect he has some masterful meta plan behind it all involving Geralt and a creepy godlike collection of immortal hunting spectres.

    But no. In the end, Letho was just a flunky for a kingdom you never visit, whose only representative was this one random dude in black you meet a couple times. Geralt's past with him was just "we met one time and helped each other out." He not only has nothing to do with the Wild Hunt, he somehow doesn't even believe it exists.

    It's not that it's terrible, it's that it's so very much less interesting than the myraid possibilities hinted at for his motives throughout the game. He's a mastermind through and through, until it's revealed that he's just a flunky. A smart flunky, who did his task well, but still a complete underling.

    What's more... I didn't care if the Empire invaded. I mean, look at this world; it's a bunch of spoiled nobles squabbling; they could do with some control. The best leader of the lot still condemns her peoples stupidly to a horrible death in a mismatched battle against a far more experienced foe.

    Some of the possible ideas I was expecting to be reveal re: Letho in the end:
    - Letho is an emissary of the Wild Hunt, killing kings and collecting their souls for some nefarious trophy hunt
    - Letho is from the future, sent to kill kings in an attempt to prevent some future catastrophe. He kills kings because he figures the bigger changes he can make, the more the timeline will deviate. Geralt doesn't "remember" him because they actually know him from a later time.
    - Letho is a dragon. As the last male dragon, with Seskia being the last female, you have to deal with the fact that if you can't kill either if you want dragons to continue.
    - Letho is Boussy.
    - Letho is Boussy's actual father, hinted at during the prologue (well, it's hinted Foltest isn't his father, not who the father might be).
    - Letho is one of the first witchers, impossibly powerful and aged. He knows Geralt because all witchers speak to him at some point in their training, under a chemically induced trance, but they don't remember this discussion.
    - Letho and Foltest planned his fake death for a nefarious purpose.
    - Geralt was in fact the mastermind of the plan Letho now carries out. Geralt's loss of memory could be purposeful, and in turn part of his own plan (as he'd need to interact with people capable of discering true intent through magical means).
    - Letho is hunting some mythical beast - possibly the dragon, possibly the Wild Hunt, possibly something else - and all of his actions serve the purpose of setting up a confrontation. In other words, he not only hasn't quit being a witcher, he's just insanely focused on killing beasts and will do anything to accomplish his task.
    - Letho is a homunculus, crafted by the previous inhabitants of Loc Muinne (Varn?) in much the same way as the masked man in the sewers in Act 3. His goals are much the same as they are in the actual game, but rather than a boring invasion from the north, he's preparing for an invasion of a hibernating race of lizards from deep beneath the earth.
    - Letho killed for no better reason than he loves chaos, and is mad. But Geralt is responsible for that madness, due to some agonizing moral choice in his past - possibly to save Yennifer.
    - Letho killed for no better reason than he loves chaos, because he is a chaos elemental; a being of pure chance who thrives on disorder. He was released by Geralt accidentally, and said release scrambled Geralt's memory.
    - Letho isn't a witcher. He's an ancient creature that perpetuates his life by stealing and sewing body parts onto his necrotic body. He "knows" Geralt because he stole pieces from one of Geralt's old friends, including the eyes, and that process can transfer sporadic memories as a side effect.
    - Letho is mad, but he's also a very old witcher. His madness, it turns out, is the inevitable result of the toxins required to take in by witchers in their work.

    None of these are outside of the realm of possibility in a world that spawned the absolutely mind-blowing revelations at the end of Witcher 1, assuming you believe - and I think it's pretty heavily hinted at - that you're dealing with a grown Alvin. You can't have the first story end with a time-traveling sorcerer whose soul you feed to an elder god and then have the sequel's big reveal be "I killed these kings because this other king promised me some stuff I want."

    mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I screwed the mutagen thingy up immediately. Threw one in the Training sections slot and thought i could swap it out later. Unfortunately I didn't check there and then so I carried on playing. For hours. Yeah I'm sticking with my cock up now.

    Big Classy on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mwoody wrote: »
    Ending spoilers
    I've been trying really hard to figure out why the ending sort of sat poorly with me, and I think I've got it. It's Letho. Specifically, it's his reasoning for doing everything. Throughout the game he's one step ahead, always, and continues to imply that he has some grand master plan. A plan that - given how many times he taunts but doesn't kill you - may not be as evil as you originally thought. And then he starts getting tied into Geralt's memories, and that again tied into the Wild Hunt, and we - well, I did, at least - begin to suspect he has some masterful meta plan behind it all involving Geralt and a creepy godlike collection of immortal hunting spectres.

    But no. In the end, Letho was just a flunky for a kingdom you never visit, whose only representative was this one random dude in black you meet a couple times. Geralt's past with him was just "we met one time and helped each other out." He not only has nothing to do with the Wild Hunt, he somehow doesn't even believe it exists.

    It's not that it's terrible, it's that it's so very much less interesting than the myraid possibilities hinted at for his motives throughout the game. He's a mastermind through and through, until it's revealed that he's just a flunky. A smart flunky, who did his task well, but still a complete underling.

    What's more... I didn't care if the Empire invaded. I mean, look at this world; it's a bunch of spoiled nobles squabbling; they could do with some control. The best leader of the lot still condemns her peoples stupidly to a horrible death in a mismatched battle against a far more experienced foe.

    Some of the possible ideas I was expecting to be reveal re: Letho in the end:
    - Letho is an emissary of the Wild Hunt, killing kings and collecting their souls for some nefarious trophy hunt
    - Letho is from the future, sent to kill kings in an attempt to prevent some future catastrophe. He kills kings because he figures the bigger changes he can make, the more the timeline will deviate. Geralt doesn't "remember" him because they actually know him from a later time.
    - Letho is a dragon. As the last male dragon, with Seskia being the last female, you have to deal with the fact that if you can't kill either if you want dragons to continue.
    - Letho is Boussy.
    - Letho is Boussy's actual father, hinted at during the prologue (well, it's hinted Foltest isn't his father, not who the father might be).
    - Letho is one of the first witchers, impossibly powerful and aged. He knows Geralt because all witchers speak to him at some point in their training, under a chemically induced trance, but they don't remember this discussion.
    - Letho and Foltest planned his fake death for a nefarious purpose.
    - Geralt was in fact the mastermind of the plan Letho now carries out. Geralt's loss of memory could be purposeful, and in turn part of his own plan (as he'd need to interact with people capable of discering true intent through magical means).
    - Letho is hunting some mythical beast - possibly the dragon, possibly the Wild Hunt, possibly something else - and all of his actions serve the purpose of setting up a confrontation. In other words, he not only hasn't quit being a witcher, he's just insanely focused on killing beasts and will do anything to accomplish his task.
    - Letho is a homunculus, crafted by the previous inhabitants of Loc Muinne (Varn?) in much the same way as the masked man in the sewers in Act 3. His goals are much the same as they are in the actual game, but rather than a boring invasion from the north, he's preparing for an invasion of a hibernating race of lizards from deep beneath the earth.
    - Letho killed for no better reason than he loves chaos, and is mad. But Geralt is responsible for that madness, due to some agonizing moral choice in his past - possibly to save Yennifer.
    - Letho killed for no better reason than he loves chaos, because he is a chaos elemental; a being of pure chance who thrives on disorder. He was released by Geralt accidentally, and said release scrambled Geralt's memory.
    - Letho isn't a witcher. He's an ancient creature that perpetuates his life by stealing and sewing body parts onto his necrotic body. He "knows" Geralt because he stole pieces from one of Geralt's old friends, including the eyes, and that process can transfer sporadic memories as a side effect.
    - Letho is mad, but he's also a very old witcher. His madness, it turns out, is the inevitable result of the toxins required to take in by witchers in their work.

    None of these are outside of the realm of possibility in a world that spawned the absolutely mind-blowing revelations at the end of Witcher 1, assuming you believe - and I think it's pretty heavily hinted at - that you're dealing with a grown Alvin. You can't have the first story end with a time-traveling sorcerer whose soul you feed to an elder god and then have the sequel's big reveal be "I killed these kings because this other king promised me some stuff I want."

    Before you read any spoilers in this thread I want you to replay chapter 2 and go with the Scoi'atel. You will be filled in completely and see a different side of the story thats quite frankly, much better and satisfying.

    Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »
    i just finished the game and i am confused.
    what kind of ending did i get and how the hell can there be 16 of them? after getting a 5 hour long info dump from letho, i kill him quite easily and then geralt/triss/ivoreth walk off, geralt looks at a ladybird then all 3 walk off.. credits play and i hope there is some awesome post-credits cutscene, i await and one starts to play, only its just geralt looking out over the the loc from the tower, then walks back out of shot, the same shot that happens while fighting the dragon.. and then back to the menu wtf?

    was that it? was something more meant to play? is this one of the bad endings? is it meant to lead into witcher 3/expansion pack?

    i feel the epilouge was kinda shit and the whole chapter 3/eplouge felt rushed as hell.
    Three stories.

    The main one the game is about, is about Letho, "The assassin of kings".

    The second is the overarching story from the first game about amnesia, Yennifer and the Wild Hunt, ie, what happened to Geralt.

    Third story is about the politics, the different kingdoms, the women mages and their machinations.

    The primary story the game is about begins when Letho kills Foltest, and thus ends when Geralt faces Letho (either killing him or letting him go).

    The other two stories are the stories told throughout the first, second, third, and who knows how many games. You make your choices (of which there are a lot), install different kinds of rulers during your trek (Henselt lives/dies, Foltests bastard daughter is installed/isn't installed/goes away, Triss is/isn't rescued, Iorveth/Roche are/aren't on your side/are dead, etc.

    All waiting for the next game.

    The discourse you have with Letho at the end will depend on how many people you talked to/what about, and the books you read.

    The game actually does come full circle with its primary story, the Assassin's of Kings. It's just that the overarching story is not over, just as it wasn't at the end of Witcher 1.

    If you play the game from both sides (Roche and Iorveth), you find out different things about all these issues (and can see that there are a LOT of different choices and paths to take, as they aren't Bioware binary regardless of which path you chose).
    ahh that makes more sense when you look at it that way.. all the way to the end i was expecting witcher 1 style of story, or some actual last scene of the wild hunt riders in their full glory or something rather then the artwork ones to tie more into the next game, or the expansion pack.

    still im going to do the other path when the patch hits, the credits though may of spoiled something for me,
    roche killing henselt?
    Yes.

    When we got back to the army camp from the secret meeting where Roche was trying to instigate noblemen to thwart Henselt in the beach cabin and had failed, we find his entire division was hung by Dethmold because they were all accused of conspiring against Henselt (when in truth it was Roche acting alone). In pursuit of Dethmold, we enter Vergen. Geralt gets separated from Roche during the chaos of the Vergen assault, and has a choice. Help Iorveth who's having a last stand in the round-table chamber in Vergen or go after Phillipa Eilhart. Anyway, I went to save Iorveth, who got pissy with me because I fucked him over in Flotsam. Naturally. But I still helped him. Then I went to Phillipa Eilhart's place. There, Henselt arrived and had tried to kill Geralt. Geralt beat the shit out of him and then Roche arrived. Roche wanted revenge for his squad getting hanged and Geralt had a choice. Let Roche kill Henselt or stop him.

    I let Roche kill him. Thus the third king was dead, and I technically helped Letho out (which sets a nice stage for the ending with all kings being dead).

    Good game, huh?

    You had something different?

    BlackDove on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    i just finished the game and i am confused.
    what kind of ending did i get and how the hell can there be 16 of them? after getting a 5 hour long info dump from letho, i kill him quite easily and then geralt/triss/ivoreth walk off, geralt looks at a ladybird then all 3 walk off.. credits play and i hope there is some awesome post-credits cutscene, i await and one starts to play, only its just geralt looking out over the the loc from the tower, then walks back out of shot, the same shot that happens while fighting the dragon.. and then back to the menu wtf?

    was that it? was something more meant to play? is this one of the bad endings? is it meant to lead into witcher 3/expansion pack?

    i feel the epilouge was kinda shit and the whole chapter 3/eplouge felt rushed as hell.
    Three stories.

    The main one the game is about, is about Letho, "The assassin of kings".

    The second is the overarching story from the first game about amnesia, Yennifer and the Wild Hunt, ie, what happened to Geralt.

    Third story is about the politics, the different kingdoms, the women mages and their machinations.

    The primary story the game is about begins when Letho kills Foltest, and thus ends when Geralt faces Letho (either killing him or letting him go).

    The other two stories are the stories told throughout the first, second, third, and who knows how many games. You make your choices (of which there are a lot), install different kinds of rulers during your trek (Henselt lives/dies, Foltests bastard daughter is installed/isn't installed/goes away, Triss is/isn't rescued, Iorveth/Roche are/aren't on your side/are dead, etc.

    All waiting for the next game.

    The discourse you have with Letho at the end will depend on how many people you talked to/what about, and the books you read.

    The game actually does come full circle with its primary story, the Assassin's of Kings. It's just that the overarching story is not over, just as it wasn't at the end of Witcher 1.

    If you play the game from both sides (Roche and Iorveth), you find out different things about all these issues (and can see that there are a LOT of different choices and paths to take, as they aren't Bioware binary regardless of which path you chose).
    ahh that makes more sense when you look at it that way.. all the way to the end i was expecting witcher 1 style of story, or some actual last scene of the wild hunt riders in their full glory or something rather then the artwork ones to tie more into the next game, or the expansion pack.

    still im going to do the other path when the patch hits, the credits though may of spoiled something for me,
    roche killing henselt?
    Yes.

    When we got back to the army camp from the secret meeting where Roche was trying to instigate noblemen to thwart Henselt in the beach cabin and had failed, we find his entire division was hung by Dethmold because they were all accused of conspiring against Henselt (when in truth it was Roche acting alone). In pursuit of Dethmold, we enter Vergen. Geralt gets separated from Roche during the chaos of the Vergen assault, and has a choice. Help Iorveth who's having a last stand in the round-table chamber in Vergen or go after Phillipa Eilhart. Anyway, I went to save Iorveth, who got pissy with me because I fucked him over in Flotsam. Naturally. But I still helped him. Then I went to Phillipa Eilhart's place. There, Henselt arrived and had tried to kill Geralt. Geralt beat the shit out of him and then Roche arrived. Roche wanted revenge for his squad getting hanged and Geralt had a choice. Let Roche kill Henselt or stop him.

    I let Roche kill him. Thus the third king was dead, and I technically helped Letho out (which sets a nice stage for the ending with all kings being dead).

    Good game, huh?

    You had something different?

    TIME FOR A REPLAY.

    Deaderinred on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    i just finished the game and i am confused.
    what kind of ending did i get and how the hell can there be 16 of them? after getting a 5 hour long info dump from letho, i kill him quite easily and then geralt/triss/ivoreth walk off, geralt looks at a ladybird then all 3 walk off.. credits play and i hope there is some awesome post-credits cutscene, i await and one starts to play, only its just geralt looking out over the the loc from the tower, then walks back out of shot, the same shot that happens while fighting the dragon.. and then back to the menu wtf?

    was that it? was something more meant to play? is this one of the bad endings? is it meant to lead into witcher 3/expansion pack?

    i feel the epilouge was kinda shit and the whole chapter 3/eplouge felt rushed as hell.
    Three stories.

    The main one the game is about, is about Letho, "The assassin of kings".

    The second is the overarching story from the first game about amnesia, Yennifer and the Wild Hunt, ie, what happened to Geralt.

    Third story is about the politics, the different kingdoms, the women mages and their machinations.

    The primary story the game is about begins when Letho kills Foltest, and thus ends when Geralt faces Letho (either killing him or letting him go).

    The other two stories are the stories told throughout the first, second, third, and who knows how many games. You make your choices (of which there are a lot), install different kinds of rulers during your trek (Henselt lives/dies, Foltests bastard daughter is installed/isn't installed/goes away, Triss is/isn't rescued, Iorveth/Roche are/aren't on your side/are dead, etc.

    All waiting for the next game.

    The discourse you have with Letho at the end will depend on how many people you talked to/what about, and the books you read.

    The game actually does come full circle with its primary story, the Assassin's of Kings. It's just that the overarching story is not over, just as it wasn't at the end of Witcher 1.

    If you play the game from both sides (Roche and Iorveth), you find out different things about all these issues (and can see that there are a LOT of different choices and paths to take, as they aren't Bioware binary regardless of which path you chose).
    ahh that makes more sense when you look at it that way.. all the way to the end i was expecting witcher 1 style of story, or some actual last scene of the wild hunt riders in their full glory or something rather then the artwork ones to tie more into the next game, or the expansion pack.

    still im going to do the other path when the patch hits, the credits though may of spoiled something for me,
    roche killing henselt?
    Yes.

    When we got back to the army camp from the secret meeting where Roche was trying to instigate noblemen to thwart Henselt in the beach cabin and had failed, we find his entire division was hung by Dethmold because they were all accused of conspiring against Henselt (when in truth it was Roche acting alone). In pursuit of Dethmold, we enter Vergen. Geralt gets separated from Roche during the chaos of the Vergen assault, and has a choice. Help Iorveth who's having a last stand in the round-table chamber in Vergen or go after Phillipa Eilhart. Anyway, I went to save Iorveth, who got pissy with me because I fucked him over in Flotsam. Naturally. But I still helped him. Then I went to Phillipa Eilhart's place. There, Henselt arrived and had tried to kill Geralt. Geralt beat the shit out of him and then Roche arrived. Roche wanted revenge for his squad getting hanged and Geralt had a choice. Let Roche kill Henselt or stop him.

    I let Roche kill him. Thus the third king was dead, and I technically helped Letho out (which sets a nice stage for the ending with all kings being dead).

    Good game, huh?

    You had something different?

    TIME FOR A REPLAY.

    Yeah, the journey varies significantly depending on your choices.

    When people say "You need to play it twice to see it all", it's not really true. You need to play it six or so times to actually see it all, as the paths widely diverge, it's not just about the choice in Flotsam. Those final sixteen states of the ending are maybe minor when you look at it from the overarching perspective.

    But Geralt's journey itself has many different and significant permutations.

    BlackDove on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2011
    Slight Chap 1 side quest spoilers
    ]How the fuck do I beat the spider queen? I set out all my traps, used all my potions and oils, she still kills me in a couple hits with quen up. Worst part is though everytime I reload new monsters spawn so I ahve to kill them all over again even though I cleared them on the original save.

    Wow I finally did it, it was getting frustrating but I got it. Laid down 4 traps and I think I broke the AI. I kept trying to draw her onto a trap, she would get leashed, run away, and I got free back stabs.

    Fizban140 on
    533570-1.png
Sign In or Register to comment.