As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Primary 2012: Romney Wins Debate By Saying Nothing, Having Nice Hair

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
This thread is to talk about the upcoming 2012 (Republican) Presidential primary and things which will affect the Presidential election next November. Yes, that's 18 months away. We're obsessives.

Predictions!
Predictions:

Mitt Romney - Speaker, WWmain00, Hachface, lonelyahava, Yougottawanna, rndmhero, Jakorian, Space Coyote, ElJeffe, PantsB, Captain Carrot
Mike Huckabee - Dojango, CommunistCow, Gosling, Zython, Styrofoam Sammich, Burtletoy
Sarah Palin - Lord Yod, enlightenedbum, Thanatos, Pi-r8, DoctorArch, Octoparrot, TheBlackWind
Marc Rubio - Holyyakker
Haley Barbour - Optimus Zed, sterling3763
Chris Christie - Brian Krakow, Bacardi,
Santorum - Quid
Alan Keyes - Coinage
John Boehner - MyDcmbr
Ron Paul - gtrmp, Tastyfish
Mitch Daniels - iTunesIsEvil
Rick Perry - AngelHedgie
Donald Trump - Override367, Jokerman
Newt Gingrich - Rockrnger
Tim Pawlenty - Cervetus, Captain Ultra, Hedgethorn, Absalon
Michelle Bachman - Taramoor
Herman Cain - devCharles, SageinaRage, Tubular Luggage
Stephen Colbert - Bagginses

Contenders:

Your leader at the moment is Mitt "Mittens" Romney. We remember him from the previous primary. He has a serious problem in the primary in that he supported an individual mandate for health care and signed such a thing into law in Massachusetts back when that was the orthodox Republican position. Sadly for him, Barack Obama now supports such a position, and is using it to "death hug" him out of the race.

Also being "death hugged" is Jon Huntsman, the former Governor of Utah and Obama's Ambassador to China until he recently resigned to pursue the Presidency. His positions have undergone a magic and radical shift to the right to accommodate the GOP. Used to be a climate change believe, not so much anymore. Thought the stimulus bill should have been something like 2/3 infrastructure when it was passed, now thinks it should be only tax cuts. Etc. Expect the Village to fall in love with him sometime in the next month.

Your probable key challenger to Romney's lead at the moment is Tim Pawlenty. He's the former Governor of Minnesota and pretty boring. He seems to think he's telling bold truths and not just spouting off the GOP party line.

Other people participating:

Michelle Bachmann! Is a fucking loon. Congresswoman from Minnesota.
Rick Santorum! Is a joke. Google his name (not at work!) to see why. Dumbest Senator of the last 20 years, from Pennsylvania.
Herman Cain! Is a black Republican. Good luck with that. Former KC Fed chair, CEO of Godfather's Pizza.
Ron Paul! RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL. Congressman from Texas.
Gary Johnson! Ron Paulier. Former Governor of New Mexico.
Newt Gingrich! Ugh. Former Speaker of the House from the DC cocktail circuit (by way of Georgia).

Not yet participating:

Sarah Palin! The elephant in the room. Former half-term Governor of Alaska, VP nominee. Dumb as a stone, has a persecution complex. Is a confusing combination of terrifying and awesome (Obama wins Texas against her, at the moment).
Paul Ryan! We'll get to him in a second.
Rick Perry! Governor of Texas, supposedly dumber than the last Governor of Texas we elected to the White House.

Not participating at all:

Mike Huckabee! Terrifyingly charismatic douche, former Governor of Arkansas.
Mitch Daniels! Bush OMB Director, current Governor of Indiana.
Donald Trump! Self-promoter.
A variety of other people, but those are the three that were most frequently talked about.

So the big issue of the day is that the Democrats won a special election in NY-26 last night. The major issue was Paul Ryan's budget, which eliminates Medicare and replaces it with a voucher program for seniors (granted, called Medicare so it's totally unfair to say he wants to destroy Medicare). Which... is not a popular idea. Especially among seniors. Who are the Republican base. NY-26 delivered 74% of the vote to the Republican in 2010, 55% to the Republican in 2008, and was won by George Bush twice and John McCain. It even voted for Carl Paladino last year. The GOP and Crossroads (GPS) poured a ton of money into the district to try to save it, but failed.

Expect to see a LOT from Democrats on this issue. If Pelosi has her way, you can expect to see it literally every day until the election. So that'll be fun.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I honestly have no fucking clue who is going to win the GOP nomination. Any "sane" Republican like Romney will never win the nomination, but anyone else stands 0% of the general.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm surprised so many people went !Palin

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I still believe Bachmann will come out on top. She's got unlimited clout with the Tea Party (hell, she founded the damned caucus) and right now it's looking more and more like the GOP response to their current woes will be to tack further to the right and try to appeal more to the Teafolk. At some point they're going to loop around, aren't they?

Hell, they destroyed Newt Gingrich for speaking out against the Paul Ryan plan. Bachmann just seems more plausible to me than Romney who has the whole Mormon thing going against him.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »
    At some point they're going to loop around, aren't they?

"President Bachman, Vice President Palin, your single-payer legislation has gone through. Apparently massive cognitive dissonance works against the house and congress as well as it did against the American public."

Oh come on, it'd be funny.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Apparently my vote in the last thread never got recorded. Go ahead and mark me down for
    !T-Paw.

Although the best thing for the country would be for a Palin/Bachmann/Paul to win the nomination and be Goldwatered/Mondaled so that the Republican party begins to return to its senses.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would love nothing more than a Bachmann/Romney ticket in the general.

Because there's no way Bachmann can win, and Romney running second fiddle to Rep. Crazypants would be the font of untold unintentional hilarity.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If Bachmann gets it, can the Palin people claim DOUBLE victory?

Also, I know this was probably a quick OP, but remember The Huckster is officially out, too.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm without a horse in this race.

Damn you Huckabee!

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't wait until Sarah Palin's new documentary about herself is made public. Glorious times will be had.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My horse's mane was false, he wasn't a horse at all

override367 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There are talks of Trump coming back in, ru9/11olph 9/11 9/11guiliani could run again. Maddow pointed it out, but how bad is it that when Mittens is thought of as the front runner people who are terrible canidates think they can take the nomination.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MKR on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Romney is now trying to take credit for the Auto Industry Bailout (after being vehemently opposed to it back then, of course).

Clevinger on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Put me down for !T-Paw as well. He's just generic and anecdoty and unintelligent and paternalistic enough to win on herd instincts.

But whatever the republican ticket, the main actors in the presidential election are going to be a pair of fellows called Ỹ and Okun...

Absalon on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That Ryan budget needs to be taken out back and quietly shot if they plan on gaining much of anything this season. Who the hell proposes to gut medicare at the start of a presidential year campaign season?

kildy on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, 9/11 is seriously thinking of running again. That is just crazy. A guy who last time didn't make it.....anywhere is now looking at this field and thinking "Shit, I can 9/11 this!"

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    kildy wrote: »
    That Ryan budget needs to be taken out back and quietly shot if they plan on gaining much of anything this season. Who the hell proposes to gut medicare at the start of a presidential year campaign season?

Its poison either direction. Moderates and liberals hate it, as do old people even if they put in the extremely cowardly and obvious this only applies to anyone below 55 years of age.

If they abandon it they risk tea party third party canidates hurting them in elections like ny 26. If they embrace it democrats pound them with it over and over on top of the auto bail out stuff. They misjudged the ryan thing, even the "Wow he's such a moderate guys" Huntsman sucked the ryan dong, they are all tainted with it.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hmm. I was leaning T-Paw, but then he went and came out in favor of cutting ag subsidies which is basicallly the same thing as just dropping out of the damn race. Mittens Romneycare has no chance. Huckabee apparently dropped out or something?

It's looking more and more like 'pick a crazy person out of a hat' time, to me. Of that set, Ryan worries me the most although his medicare voucherization plan would probably get him crucified in a general all by itself.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Romney is now trying to take credit for the Auto Industry Bailout (after being vehemently opposed to it back then, of course).

Picture-1.gif

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

People who think The Shock Doctrine was an instruction booklet. If the economy sucks enough, people might be inclined to change president and agree to neoliberal dogma out of sheer desperation and anger. That is the idea.

Absalon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

Its poison either direction. Moderates and liberals hate it, as do old people even if they put in the extremely cowardly and obvious this only applies to anyone below 55 years of age.

If they abandon it they risk tea party third party canidates hurting them in elections like ny 26. If they embrace it democrats pound them with it over and over on top of the auto bail out stuff. They misjudged the ryan thing, even the "Wow he's such a moderate guys" Huntsman sucked the ryan dong, they are all tainted with it.

We should all be extremely thankful to The Village for this.

Thanks, Andrew Sullivan, David Brooks, Megan McArdle, Peggy Noonan, et al! Thanks a lot!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Wait wait. So he had the idea FIRST, and Obama copied him. The idea was "let them file bankruptcy", and the copy was "give them a loan"

Yeah, I can see how those are the same fucking idea, Mitt.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Hmm. I was leaning T-Paw, but then he went and came out in favor of cutting ag subsidies which is basicallly the same thing as just dropping out of the damn race. Mittens Romneycare has no chance. Huckabee apparently dropped out or something?

It's looking more and more like 'pick a crazy person out of a hat' time, to me. Of that set, Ryan worries me the most although his medicare voucherization plan would probably get him crucified in a general all by itself.
    I think Huckabee looked at the primary, looked at what he would have to do to win it, then looked at this eventual opponent and then just decided to say "I'll wait."

Of course, he'll have been out of office for a damn long time come 2016.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, 9/11 is seriously thinking of running again. That is just crazy. A guy who last time didn't make it.....anywhere is now looking at this field and thinking "Shit, I can 9/11 this!"

I want Rudy to run.

Mainly because there is nothing quite like a candidate with a vindictive ex-wife who has half the NY media on speed dial to make things entertaining.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2011
    I thought I'd put myself down officially for Romney, but apparently I never did.

!Romney

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Picture-1.gif

Too bad for mittens democrats already have a campaign video hitting him on this very point with his words already out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxvURgyJ26w

Words have meaning mittens, and you put your stink all over this one.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

This sequence of paragraphs is almost worthy of the Daily Show:
    In 2009, Mr. Romney said Mr. Obama’s plans for rescuing the automobile industry were “tragic” and “a very sad circumstance for this country.”

A Romney spokesman said on Tuesday that the president’s plan was modeled after one Mr. Romney advocated in 2008.

“Mitt Romney had the idea first,” said Eric Fehrnstrom, a Romney spokesman, citing the Times opinion article. “You have to acknowledge that. He was advocating for a course of action that eventually the Obama administration adopted.”

But Mr. Fehrnstrom also accused Mr. Obama of wasting billions of dollars “propping up” the auto companies as part of the government’s restructuring plans for the industry.

“Mitt Romney argued that instead of a bailout, we should let the car companies go through a restructuring under the bankruptcy laws,” Mr. Fehrnstrom said.

So according to Romney, the restructuring plan was both tragic and his idea all along.

Also, helping GM and Chrysler to be restructured rather than liquidated wasted billions of dollars, which is why Romney argued for the restructuring.

The principle of charity fails me here.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Picture-1.gif

Too bad for mittens democrats already have a campaign video hitting him on this very point with his words already out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxvURgyJ26w

Words have meaning mittens, and you put your stink all over this one.

Isn't that video the entire contents of the link you are quoting?

Or does none of it load for me at work other than the video?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Wait wait. So he had the idea FIRST, and Obama copied him. The idea was "let them file bankruptcy", and the copy was "give them a loan"

The government loan was in order to allow GM and Chrysler to reorganize under bankruptcy law. Without the loan, they wouldn't have had enough cash and credit to survive a reorg, and one or both would have had to be liquidated.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Isn't that video the entire contents of the link you are quoting?

Or does none of it load for me at work other than the video?

Didn't realize the link was just to the video, I thought it was an opinion piece about romney back sliding to take credit.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Ezra Klein had an interesting perspective on this. He think it may force them to accept a compromise just so they can paint it as an overly aggressive 'opening offer', with the Medicare voucherization as a kind of poison pill.

How the hell they could succesfully call it a poison pill when it was clear it had fuck all chance of passing is beyond me, but they definitely need to do something so that they can use as red meat for the base without having devour them alive in the general, and that's as good a bet as any I guess. They sure as hell can't just have it hang around as their actual budget position through the primary.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Honestly I'm all for compromise normally, but what the republicans want is not good for the country or anyone making less than a million dollars. Helping them out of their Ryan budget fuck up would only bite the democrats in the ass immediately. They put the noose on their own neck here, let them fucking swing.

Also any compromise they make will not placate the tea party who already dislike the "establishment" canidates. I'll be surprised if there aren't three canidates for president next year.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I just love the idea that giving companies more money so they can continue to operate is "letting them fail" but....letting them fail isn't letting them fail.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011

Someone serious about blancing the budget and cutting costs? I mean, it's not like they weren't expecting blowback from this.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

The government loan was in order to allow GM and Chrysler to reorganize under bankruptcy law. Without the loan, they wouldn't have had enough cash and credit to survive a reorg, and one or both would have had to be liquidated.

I've been trying to explain this to people in the youtube comments for that commercial.

Explaining things to people in youtube comments is some kind of terrible sisyphusion struggle that only a madman would undertake. What's wrong with me.

override367 on
  • Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

I've been trying to explain this to people in the youtube comments for that commercial.

Explaining things to people in youtube comments is some kind of terrible sisyphusion struggle that only a madman would undertake. What's wrong with me.

Admit it. You're into S&M.

The Republican primaries are, quite literally, beyond parody.

Lolken on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Someone serious about blancing the budget and cutting costs? I mean, it's not like they weren't expecting blowback from this.

So gutting medicare is "serious about balancing the budget and cutting costs", but not more than a year or two ago "the Democrats are going to gut medicare" was used as a scare tactic.

So is gutting medicare ballsy and brave and necessary, or something to keep people up at night crying and fearing for their family, because at the moment it seems the GOP feels it's both at the same time.

Hint: there's a reason the acronym IOKIYAR gets thrown around at times.

I really wish I could be surprised about Republicans trying to do things they shat on Democrats for doing when the latter weren't actually doing them.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I would accept this as a brave and serious attempt to tackle this nation's unpopular problems.. If the entire budget wasn't based around hitting 2.8% unemployment in a month, and massive revenue neutral tax cuts.

One is not serious about solving a problem if one cannot be serious about the actual expected results.

It's coming out more and more from pissy GOP members that this budget is not serious, is not liked, and was pretty much forced into being over horrible internal polling numbers. In this country? Gutting military spending down to $3.84/year is probably a more serious proposal than mauling medicare.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I like how the last GOP controlled congress made it considerably harder for citizens to declare bankruptcy to free themselves of untenable financial obligations.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I would accept this as a brave and serious attempt to tackle this nation's unpopular problems.. If the entire budget wasn't based around hitting 2.8% unemployment in a month, and massive revenue neutral tax cuts.

One is not serious about solving a problem if one cannot be serious about the actual expected results.

It's coming out more and more from pissy GOP members that this budget is not serious, is not liked, and was pretty much forced into being over horrible internal polling numbers. In this country? Gutting military spending down to $3.84/year is probably a more serious proposal than mauling medicare.

Fun fact: the most fiscally conservative budget proposal has been completely ignored by almost all of the mainstream media while the same media fawns all over the Ryan budget for being "brave" enough to gut Medicare while adding $6 trillion (with a T) to the national debt.

Who drafted such a radical, brave, courageous, and daring budget? The Tea Party Caucus? Ron Paul? Grover Norquist? The Ghost Of Reagan?

The House Progressive Caucus.

Seeing how the hype around the Ryan budget is tarring any and all GOP candidates with a hope of winning the primaries with the "supports the dismantling of Medicare" tag I guess there is a silver lining to that.
    I want Rudy to run.

Mainly because there is nothing quite like a candidate with a vindictive ex-wife who has half the NY media on speed dial to make things entertaining.

Those pictures of Rudy in drag and those pro-immigration quotes never get old.

Lawndart on
This discussion has been closed.