As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Salty [Phalla]: Curse of the Crusty Pearls - VILLAGE VICTORY

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Honestly, the only reason I didn't just keep the kill on you anyway was that I didn't expect you to be told that I was told that you seered me, so a neutral claim was credible

Phyphor on
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Somewhat embarrassing: I went so far down the rabbit hole with my lies, cover stories and half-truths that a few days ago, I had to stop and re-read my role PMs to remember which parts were true.

I'm either the best liar or the worst one.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I had a role, but it didn't come up much. Came as a consolation prize, I guess, for being the only guy not to challenge/be challenged in that first event.
    Infidel wrote:
    You are the Seasoned Strategist!

While the other pirates were busy scrappin' and knocking their heads about like coconuts you've always been more of the type to turn your keen eye on the bigger picture. It's the easily overlooked details, missed by most, that catch your eye. The eye that wasn't plucked out by an exploding cannonball that is.

Ability: You've got your good eye on the EVENTS surrounding Salty Phalla. Each night you will be able to pick up information that the other pirates are not aware of. Each night you will be informed of your available choice(s), based on the contest being run. PM Infidel with your intended choices.

For the silver split I got to learn about a couple deals.
    Burnage offered simonwolf 6/4 and was accepted.

Heffling offered Grundlterror 5/5 and was accepted.

For the Q&A I got to pick a question and get the most popular answer for it.
    For the crew distribution thing I got 110 men instead of 100.

That was it, though; I got no advantage (that I was informed of) for the other events. But had I been meaningfully gunning for the captain's hat, some of this might've helped!

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Somewhat embarrassing: I went so far down the rabbit hole with my lies, cover stories and half-truths that a few days ago, I had to stop and re-read my role PMs to remember which parts were true.

I'm either the best liar or the worst one.

Were you a serial killer monkey from the beginning or did you get converted partway through?

(And to Infidel, was the serial killer role RNGed to a villager? A village special? Or to a random person entirely (VLADS)?)

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah the soft networks posting information to unconfirmeds, which happened in two instances - I do not get.

Diorinix why didn't you tell me GtC got the monkey's paw and the rez message when I specifically asked for any messages related to the monkey paw to indicate something was up with the revive and win conditions?

Alegis on
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Were you a serial killer monkey from the beginning or not?

No, I was a village-aligned monkey at the beginning, claiming to be a survival neutral, but working under the table with Diorinix.

When I used the rez wish from the Paw, I informed wildwood (after vote close) that I was the one resurrecting him, and that I was village-aligned.

As a result of using the rez wish, I became a Serial Killer.

...so you can see how I managed to confuse myself. It was tons of fun, actually.

Good game, Infidel and DrKippy. :^:

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I kept most of my info out of the network because I really didnt trust vertroue, I was doing a lot of pms instead, although wildwood was just straight feeding that stuff to the mafia as well so it didnt really do me any good.

Mr. Mojo Risin on
    steam_sig.png
  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alegis wrote: »
    Yeah the soft networks posting information to unconfirmeds, which happened in two instances - I do not get.

Diorinix why didn't you tell me GtC got the monkey's paw and the rez message when I specifically asked for any messages related to the monkey paw to indicate something was up with the revive and win conditions?

Geez, speaking of posting information to unconfirmeds... :)

Were people telling Alegis anything that early in the game?

wildwood on
  • DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alegis wrote:
    Diorinix wrote:
    Alegis wrote:
    Diorinix wrote:
    Alegis wrote:
    Do you know a guard? This is important

I do not.
    Alright. Was interested because it would be interesting for a gambit.

So you're back to salty pirate now the monkey paw is used, right? Did anything special happen or did infidel mention something about the revived person? What was the exact wish submitted to revive wildwood?

It's not that I'm suspicious of you (I know you killed exterma ), it's to reason about wildwood's alignment or othe rshit that happens
    There was no text for rezzing wildwood. The paw came with 3 set wishes that needed to be used in a specific order, and only 1 wish a night.

1st was to "kill and adversary". I picked extermatott for no other reason than i was dueling him that day and got lucky. No special PM from Infidel.

2nd was to "save my friend from the plank" (vote affects 2nd place instead). At this point Gandalf and I were pseudo working together and put plan in place earlier in the day to save Heff...which didn't work as well as planned as we figured that heff would stay in the front running, and we'd hit the next guy in line. Turns out there was still lots of votes to go. No reply text.

3rd was so that "the dead may rise" (bring back a dead crew-mate). In retrospect, it would have been wiser to pick DrDino, but Wildwood's doing fine, with picking off another mafia last night. No text here either.

My voting choices (up until last night, since I was out on-call for work) have been really poor so far. I thought I had them well-researched, but obviously not so much. I might try to just pick the non-goosey reasoned ones and jump on the wagons.

Ah I see, they were pre-set. Alright.

Hmmmmmm wouldn't be past infidel to have made the 3rd to be a SK. we'll have to see

To be perfectly honest, I didn't trust you enough to tell you that I'd passed the paw onto Gandalf. At that point, it was true - I did not receive a PM from our hosts regarding the rez. I didn't do the order with the paw, so why would I have?

I was semi protecting the neutral and holding some information back. I wasn't totally convinced that you were honest with your intentions, so I gave you the most objective information that I had access to.

Gandalf, wildwood, heffling and mojo all got more info from me than you. If they ended up in the network they could have filled in for me. My work got extremely busy over the weekend and I couldn't put the time into this game that I did over the first 3 or 4 days.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
    edited May 2011
    I kept most of my info out of the network because I really didnt trust vertroue, I was doing a lot of pms instead, although wildwood was just straight feeding that stuff to the mafia as well so it didnt really do me any good.

Yeah, I plead stupid. :)

wildwood on
    edited May 2011
    You were reaching out to randoms in the thread (me and simonwolf) with news that you still have access to save someone and rez a villager. I tell you to stop expanding the soft network when posting villager special information, do the whole LFHX thing, confirm to you I was seered (the post) and you were not killed before you got a chance to revive a villager.

Why hide the GtC thing from me then :(

Alegis on
  • CaptainPlanet82CaptainPlanet82 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gandalf, you can grudge if you like. Maybe you had a chance, maybe not. There was still an awful lot of villagers left. So I think they would have found you out eventually too. You did kill me also. I shall honor my ancestors with the spilling of your blood!!!

...eventually :P

This game was tough for me. First time mafia ever. I felt myself not keeping up with everything going on. It really hurt me that I was out of town this past weekend with only an iPhone. I thought maybe I hid well toward late game but I kept figuring my cover was blown long before.

CaptainPlanet82 on
    Help my friend realize his excellent Cyber Punk savage setting! Check out the Ronin: Chrome and Shadows Kickstarter!
    edited May 2011
    The mini-games were fun! Thanks for all that work Dr Kippy and Infidel!

I'm interested to see just how bad my PLP was especially since I bet 20 for the last game. Haha

CaptainPlanet82 on
    Help my friend realize his excellent Cyber Punk savage setting! Check out the Ronin: Chrome and Shadows Kickstarter!
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    wildwood wrote: »
    Infidel wrote: »
    There was a Swagger mechanic (posts were submitted, anonymized and randomized, and then graded by B:L, thanks B:L <3) that powered a few special abilities. The top Swagger vig (Salty Swashbuckler and Liquored Liquidator) would get a kill, on one night there was a two way tie and the next night a three way tie. :lol:

Who/what is B:L?

And do they not like Heffling? Because it seemed like I got my highest scores when I really laid into him.

Hi, Buythrush:Leepwood here, pirate grader extraordinaire. You might know me from my reputation as the Never Evil Dread Pirate B:Loberts. I'm one of the most veteran pirates and the name that everyone should trust. Allow me to tell you of my tale...

*takes a swig of grog*

Ye see, this 'ere pirate has'nae been evil! NEVER EVIL in all'ere ventures cross ye seven seas, aye a feat t'has be seen te be believed, I tells ye.

*takes a swig of grog*

AVAST ye SWASHBUCKLIN' sons of dogs! May ye KIRBO eat yer skulls and suck yer bones dry fer not believin' ye GOLTANA KNIGHT! I SPIT IN YER EYE if ye'ver vote me hearty soul out y'n I SPIT ON YER GRAVE if yer dumb 'nuff te cross me path! ARRRR WHITE BEEL HOLY SPEEL

*takes a swig of grog*

fiuacorangesodaka jksdjfkjegametheorydkj afdisfaejneverevilkjsafd eifajieakirbowilleatuzzzzz

http://bollyloger.proboards.com/index.cgi

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Master Spreadsheet

You can see the PLP and event info on it.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow, tough grader.

Though on the other hand, grats to Infidel for making at least 30 people talk like a pirate for a week.

MaxFrost on
  • MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ugh, I would have been in the running for captain if I didn't botch the quiz day :(

MaxFrost on
    edited May 2011
    Alegis wrote: »
    Alegis - been very very active all game and yet no one has voted on him since day 1.
    That's the best you can come up with CapPlanet ? :/ Not even a "KILL HIM BEFORE HE THROWS ALL OF US TO THE VOTE!" it's a "huh no one voted him that's odd"

Grudged.

Yeah. Understandable. I sent in the orders to kill you two games in a row. :P

Besides, everyone was throwing us under the vote. Not just you.

CaptainPlanet82 on
    edited May 2011
    MaxFrost wrote: »
    Ugh, I would have been in the running for captain if I didn't botch the quiz day :(

Same here with the arm wrestling if I'm reading it right. Also yeah B:L was a tough grader

Mr. Mojo Risin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Oh wow. If it wasn't for inactives giving people such big boosts, I might have had a chance to be Captain CaptainPlanet. Lol

CaptainPlanet82 on
  • DrKippyDrKippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Couple more thoughts:

Poor Drez. He would have survived the mafia attack if he remembered to submit his swagger posts. Quite upsetting for us, since he had some of the funniest comments.

And the vote bonus roles actually could give you 0-3 votes total. So failing to submit your swagger posts (requirement to be graded) actually resulted in no votes on at least one occasion.

I think Mr. Mojo managed to nab a ninja by doing a good job posting as I recall, overcoming a possible villager loss / tie.

Oh! And the Captain's Hat, nobody really seemed to guess quite what it did.
    Mechanically it was an extra vote, as well as a small boost to your swagger. So it did matter, and if the swagger folks had picked it up, it would have been a bit more useful. But still fun, which was its real goal. It was never intended to be a serious impact on the game. Just a small reward for the ongoing minigames.
    And since there was some confusion on that point as well, the captains hat went to the player with the highest PLP cumulative. It actually bounced around a fair bit. I think we (at least I) expected it to settle down a bit more, but it only really did that at the end.

The swagger mechanic was Infidels idea, and I probably did most of the specific role creation once the swagger idea took off.
    I think it worked well enough, though at some points it felt like only the vigilantes were really pushing to swagger it up. We wanted the other roles to draw attention as well, and specifically the Crusty Chum to draw fire from the mafia, who we assumed would think they were also vig's. The day of epic reveals kind of took some steam out of the confusion we hoped to create there, but all in all, I think the overall effect was pretty darned good.

DrKippy on
    edited May 2011
    Besides, everyone was throwing us under the vote. Not just you.

And out of whose hat were they pulling those names from

that be right

My point being lazy terrible villagening should not be allowed and punished by death. Reward get!

Alegis on
    edited May 2011
    Aww, I was two PLP points behind Teucrian in the end.

If only I had composed some piratey poem for Infidel or something I might have won captainship!

Ah well, I was busy all day network heading/pulling hairbrained theories about who the SK might be, so I *guess* I was doing my job, and first mate isn't a bad consolation prize.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited May 2011
    I liked the SK Coin paranoia. :lol:

Your attributions for the kills were quite off though, considering you were so close when you were telling me how the kills changed after the rez. (They started not changed, you were looking too hard for an SK that didn't exist yet!)

It would be silly to discount that considering my game a month ago had a turn-SK mechanic that you knew about plenty well. :)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • KeikaKeika Delectable tea, or deadly poison? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Decided to take a 5 minute break from work and....
    Keika (Captain's Parrot) attains victory for surviving to roost on Teucrian's shoulder.[/b][/color]

Vindication!

Now give me my darn crackers.

Keika on
    "My fancies are fireflies / Specks of living light / twinkling in the dark." ~Rabindranath Tagore
    edited May 2011
    I wasn't quite ready to discount a turn-SK mechanic, though I can't tell if I would have caught Gandalf. I would have had wildwood seered behind his back if the mafia didn't seem to be able to kill him, since he was being remarkably tight-lipped about his actual communications with Gandalf and would have suspected a zombie wildwood over gandalf as such.

To be fair I didn't press wildwood for his actual convos with Gandalf and he probably would have given me them if I had, but I foolishly assumed that you would let your fellow network buddies know about your conversations with a survival neutral in better detail :P. Wildwood is newer to the game than I am, so that assumption is probably my fault.

I didn't even get told it was Gandalf that did the rezzing until a couple days ago, before then Alegis was telling me Diorinix did it.

(On that note diorinix, unless you are 100% positive someone is a mafia, don't lie to them if you don't trust them, just refuse to answer. Even if you know they're mafia you don't want to lie more than you absolutely have to).

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That was a blast, great theme. Rewarding people for talking like a pirate was a nice touch.

I'm still curious, though. Why didn't the mafia just murderize the "out in the open" specials?

FecklessRogue on
    edited May 2011
    That was a blast, great theme. Rewarding people for talking like a pirate was a nice touch.

I'm still curious, though. Why didn't the mafia just murderize the "out in the open" specials?

Because there were village-only decoys that their openness blocked the mafia kill, making it more of a hunt and having them think the obvious targets would be guarded, true or not.

Also, as intended, others without any Swagger mechanic or knowledge of were posting appropriately as well, the idea was to seed it so that a lot of people would.

Systematically going "hey lets kill only the loudmouths" means you pretty much are guaranteed to never hit the seer, who had no Swagger mechanic.

edit: the biggest hit to the village specials was due to typical village fail of "hey lets epic reveal four specials instead of just trying to deflect a vote and reveal none/one."

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited May 2011
    edit: the biggest hit to the village specials was due to typical village fail of "hey lets epic reveal four specials instead of just trying to deflect a vote and reveal none/one."

Which was partly driven by the (apparently common) village tendency to vote out loudmouths. Or maybe it's just me. :)

wildwood on
    edited May 2011

Which was partly driven by the (apparently common) village tendency to vote out loudmouths. Or maybe it's just me. :)

It doesn't matter how it starts, just that it's usually a bad idea to keep outing more and more people.

It's the village equivalent of trying to save a mafia buddy from a vote and getting half your team caught. Don't fucking do it!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited May 2011
    It doesn't matter how it starts, just that it's usually a bad idea to keep outing more and more people.

It's the village equivalent of trying to save a mafia buddy from a vote and getting half your team caught. Don't fucking do it!

So after the first reveal, try to deflect the vote, but take the loss if the vote still goes for a special?

wildwood on
    edited May 2011

So after the first reveal, try to deflect the vote, but take the loss if the vote still goes for a special?

It's much easier to see the value when you parallel it with the mafia situation like I mentioned.

Better to throw one of your own under the bus than compromise several in the long run.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • DrKippyDrKippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Another note / comment:

This game was actually designed with the idea of forcing the village to think. You might notice after the fact that there was essentially nothing safe/guaranteed to form a proper network around.

The thrall/millers are an obvious piece of that, but furthermore none of the villager roles were really guaranteed / tied to the specific villager.

The seer was just an item (which could have ended in the mafia's hands i should note).

The vig's didn't know if their kill would go off or not (though after a while, wildwood had enough confidence to deem it worthy to call his kill).

Even wildwoods resurrection was somewhat intentionally clouded, since anyone paying close attention would realize it coincided with the birth of the serial killer.

One thing I didn't get to see, because I assume it was handled with PM's... how was the receiving end of the crystal ball handled? It was mentioned early, and then nobody mentioned it again. Even when Phyphor was seered, there was a lot less mafia chatter and repercussions there than I expected.

The items were fun, but I sort of expected to see them moving more. At least the coin. I suppose nobody really figured it out since it never came into play. It could have been a fun village weapon if you knew what it did :)

DrKippy on
    edited May 2011
    The funny part is that I agreed to eat the vote for basically that reason and then was saved anyways.

Mr. Mojo Risin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011

It's much easier to see the value when you parallel it with the mafia situation like I mentioned.

Better to throw one of your own under the bus than compromise several in the long run.

Yeah, Roman's reveal made sense with the action order, because changing from a vote to a kill gave him a chance to pass on the crystal ball to someone else. But I could have taken the vote and let Egos continue with the vigging.

wildwood on
    edited May 2011
    DrKippy wrote: »
    One thing I didn't get to see, because I assume it was handled with PM's... how was the receiving end of the crystal ball handled? It was mentioned early, and then nobody mentioned it again. Even when Phyphor was seered, there was a lot less mafia chatter and repercussions there than I expected.

The items were fun, but I sort of expected to see them moving more. At least the coin. I suppose nobody really figured it out since it never came into play. It could have been a fun village weapon if you knew what it did :)

From what I heard, there was a small seer network that the ball was passed through, after the Phyphor seering. They had a pass phrase to communicate targets back to me. I assume they only used verified villagers to do the seering.

I got the coin off of godmode, and I got rid of it as soon as I possibly could. Something about "feeling your life drain away" in the description that made me want to ditch it, but I don't remember anything else in the description that would have led me to believe that it could influence the vote.

wildwood on
    edited May 2011
    As you lay in your cabin, you feel as if you are being watched. You look about but it is not with your eyes that you see it, the gaze of romanqwerty upon you.

Stoutsparrow dont like bein watched!

Alegis on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey daniant, hey

Welcome to a very exclusive club

unled1vz.jpg

simonwolf on
    edited May 2011

You can see my whole convo with phyphor in the village proboards funny thread.

Mostly I sent people PMs when they were about to be seered by me or later fidoh, just so they wouldn't do what Alegis did. Essentially "don't talk about the host PM you are about to receive in thread, let us talk to you first." I didn't mention Fidoh's name, which was good when captainplanet posted his PM from me in his mafia proboard and then got promptly strangled by a monkey.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey hey victory! Good to see I made it all the way to the end too! Thanks for hosting infidel and kippy. Turns out there was a lot more going on than I was aware of. Fun game. Too bad I had to struggle to read pirate speak all game.

That was some quality voting by the village the past 3ish days.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash