As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass 3ffect: 2012

• Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In ME3 Shepard will be talking about Kasumi as she gets ready to steal something important for him.

She will pause a second as her 'assistant' takes off his shirt in the background. ;)

Daris on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The way I've always thought of the construction of relationships in games like this is that the ones you don't pursue either don't have feelings for you or their harmless crushes. The reasoning for this is that people want to be able to romance whomever they want, and to take that away from them would upset people. At the same time, if you don't pursue romance with them, then they don't expect it. The only person who is really hardcore about it is Tali.

never die on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i want to play matchmaker in ME3

kasumi and jacob

miranda and samara

kelly and legion

grunt and the hammerhead

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alright, just finished my first run for ME2, I'll probably do another soon. But first off, I got to ask: is there anyway to get your squad mates not to be retarded without having to babysit their every action? For instance: not going head to head against a YMIR mech when it's firing its minigun at you? or not running up to 10 enemies with a shotgun out of cover? Or maybe ducking when someone is spamming rockets at you? My standard strategy for these kinds of situations was to either place them far away from the action, or let them die, and then finish off the fight using myself and let them autorevive.

0blique on
  • Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    0blique wrote: »
    Alright, just finished my first run for ME2, I'll probably do another soon. But first off, I got to ask: is there anyway to get your squad mates not to be retarded without having to babysit their every action? For instance: not going head to head against a YMIR mech when it's firing its minigun at you? or not running up to 10 enemies with a shotgun out of cover? Or maybe ducking when someone is spamming rockets at you? My standard strategy for these kinds of situations was to either place them far away from the action, or let them die, and then finish off the fight using myself and let them autorevive.

Sadly, nope. Squaddies are about as dumb as a sack of hammers when left to their own devices. Your best best is once a fight starts, pick some cover and manually tell them to park their butts there. Least they wont die and you can use their abilities for the fight.

Elixir on
    ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love how all the delinquents get shoved into the engineering bay

also how Tali is basically like "I WANT TO FUCK YOU SHEPARD" in front of the engineers like it ain't no thang

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i want to play matchmaker in ME3

kasumi and jacob

miranda and samara

kelly and legion

grunt and the hammerhead

And thus did baby Megatron come to be.

Dharma Bum on
    olgafjpg.jpg
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love how all the delinquents get shoved into the engineering bay

also how Tali is basically like "I WANT TO FUCK YOU SHEPARD" in front of the engineers like it ain't no thang

It turns her on when people watch. Being a wrapped-up-in-a-suit Quarian and an exhibitionist at the same time tears her up inside.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    am i the only person to unintentionally kill miranda and ONLY miranda in this game? i had no idea she was so hard to off

Snork on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Snork wrote: »
    am i the only person to unintentionally kill miranda and ONLY miranda in this game? i had no idea she was so hard to off

Did she die holding the line or at the final boss?
    Because I'm pretty sure those are the only places she can die.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Yes

You are a freak

or a wizard

Give me your magic powers please.

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wanted to shoot Miranda the moment she showed up.

Double so when she refused to let me control the goddamn shuttle.

Triple so when Shepard just shrugged her shoulders and said "WHELP guess I'm gonna be working for Cerberus now."

:x

MechMantis on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    0blique wrote: »

What an odd question.

That's what squadmates are for

To me my squadmates exist solely as mobile cover and/or distractions while I use my widowmaker to make baddies to flip head over heels and land in amusing positions.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Ad astra wrote: »
    Reapers versus Threshers, Ships exploding above a city, and leveling a good portion of it, fifteen foot tall mechs, all sound awesome, and rad. But, I'm hoping they don't neglect the small moments like Chakwas, and the brandy, it's those moments that really make the ME series for me, and I hope that there are a lot more of those.

Couldn't agree more

The first time crew got kidnapped I was wholly indifferent. Still had Joker, still had my team. Oh no, lost a bunch of cerberus homps. The tragedy. Time to do some side quests.

Then it hit me and I stopped, eyes going wide and half shouted "They took the motherfucking doctor?"

It wasn't until after I'd finished the suicide mission for the first time I realized how well Bioware had played me.

For me it was the engineers.

"Oh no you didn't just take Donnelly and Daniels!"

Yup.

Rest of the crew, I'll throw under a bus at the trial, no mistake. But Ken and Gabby (And Joker and Chakwas) are going to get off scott free in any deal made.

The first thing I thought was: "Oh shit, they took Kelly! Who the fuck is going to feed my fish now?"

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought the cook/"sanitation engineer" was okay.

I'm not as fond of Ken and Gabby, either, they're merely "okay"--but I don't actively wish them harm.

If there were a way to only kill Kelly, I'd have to give it some thought. Is there?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »

I'm not as fond of Ken and Gabby, either, they're merely "okay"--but I don't actively wish them harm.

If there were a way to only kill Kelly, I'd have to give it some thought. Is there?

I believe your options are "no one dies", "half the crew + Kelly dies", or "everyone but Chakwas dies".

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »

I believe your options are "no one dies", "half the crew + Kelly dies", or "everyone but Chakwas dies".

As far as non squadmates, that is.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

HOW

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

HOW

YOu people that want to kill Miranda are monsters

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BerkshireBerkshire Earth Federal Forces MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why would you want to lose a guy who's all about kicking the collectors in their daddy bags? I think BioWare did a great job of making me care about the crew. Less so with some of the squadmates- I'm looking at you, Jack and Thane.

Berkshire on
    "And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    GT: FootlongKaPow
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

HOW

I'm not sure if I'm one-upping this or not, so I'll put it to the thread:
    My first run thru I managed to kill two people: Miranda, and Zaeed.

Toughest to kill as measured by game mechanics + toughest to kill as measured by the story.

Bobble on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bobble wrote: »

HOW

Toughest to kill as measured by game mechanics + toughest to kill as measured by the story.

Not one-upping. Killing Zaeed is a bad thing.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

HOW

Shepard listen to me whine about how being perfect is just so hard and you don't understand ablooooo!

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »

HOW

Shepard listen to me whine about how being perfect is just so hard and you don't understand ablooooo!

All I hear is

"Shepard, how do you like my skin tight shiney black latex getup?"

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »

HOW

All I hear is

"Shepard, how do you like my skin tight shiney black latex getup?"

Think of the children! And by children, I mean Miranda!

super-blimp.jpg

This is all I could do to not post the Badspot.us comic again.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

HOW

i did everyone's loyalty mission and for whatever reason her little tiff with jack didn't trigger until relatively late. even though i was paragon as shit i didn't have the score to reconcile them both immediately
    and there's something really retarded about the way they coded the checks for charming her in conversation after (i decided to side with jack for some reason, i guess miranda was being more of a dick in the confrontation); I was pretty high-leveled and there was literally no way that i could get the blue text. i even respec'd to give myself the extra paragon boost, but no dice
    so i did the suicide mission and everyone survived and i was like yeah! and brought her to do the final boss

as someone said, daddy issues are like a magnet for falling i-beams

Snork on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Silly bint should have loved Shepard harder.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

HOW

i did everyone's loyalty mission and for whatever reason her little tiff with jack didn't trigger until relatively late. even though i was paragon as shit i didn't have the score to reconcile them both immediately
    and there's something really retarded about the way they coded the checks for charming her in conversation after (i decided to side with jack for some reason, i guess miranda was being more of a dick in the confrontation); I was pretty high-leveled and there was literally no way that i could get the blue text. i even respec'd to give myself the extra paragon boost, but no dice
    so i did the suicide mission and everyone survived and i was like yeah! and brought her to do the final boss

The paragon/renegade checks are coded to scale based on how far into the game you are (ie, if you've had a lot more opportunities for Paragon points, the requirement will be a bit higher). I think the requirement is also different between P/R for both fights (ie, Legion-Tali is easier to solve as a Renegade than a Paragon... or maybe the other way around), though I can't recall which is which.

Bobble on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

HOW

The paragon/renegade checks are coded to scale based on how far into the game you are (ie, if you've had a lot more opportunities for Paragon points, the requirement will be a bit higher). I think the requirement is also different between P/R for both fights (ie, Legion-Tali is easier to solve as a Renegade than a Paragon... or maybe the other way around), though I can't recall which is which.

If you did Miranda's loyalty mission she should have survived the final fight. I might be mistaken but I don't think the on board spats between members play a role in the suicide mission.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

HOW

If you did Miranda's loyalty mission she should have survived the final fight. I might be mistaken but I don't think the on board spats between members play a role in the suicide mission.

If you take a side, the one you spurn becomes disloyal again. You can regain their loyalty with a dialogue option later though if you can't hit the first check.

Z0re on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i dont get it, i thought those genetic breast implants where made to survive stuff like that.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

HOW

Tali Legion is easier for Paragons. As Shep points out, they're both sort of right, and they're more or less rational individuals. They can be talked into a temporary truce easier than they can be shouted into liking each other.

Jack and Miranda, it's less rational. Shepard's best bet is to just remind everyone she could kill them if they don't get in line. Better to be feared than loved and that.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

HOW

Tali Legion is easier for Paragons. As Shep points out, they're both sort of right, and they're more or less rational individuals. They can be talked into a temporary truce easier than they can be shouted into liking each other.

Jack and Miranda, it's less rational. Shepard's best bet is to just remind everyone she could kill them if they don't get in line. Better to be feared than loved and that.

Unless the person your yelling at happens to be a Geth mobile platform carrying a Widowmaker. I'd give him some leeway. I desperately wanted to say "Let the Geth win..." to Tali

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

HOW

Not one-upping. Killing Zaeed is a bad thing.

Paragon Shepard is such a pushover at times I was surprised with how he dealt with Zaaed.
    Punch in the face early in the mission, later point a gun at his head while he's stuck under burning wreckage and threaten to kill him if he doesn't comply. Apparently, if you do his mission after the Suicide mission you can leave him to burn to death too.

never die on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

HOW

yeah, i know. if it happens when you're at the end of the game it's effectively impossible to reconcile them because of this

Snork on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I, also killed Miranda by mistake in my early runs by siding with Jack during their squabble and doing Miranda's loyalty mission too soon afterward. This resulted in Miranda (and only Miranda) dying at the backdoor defense every time.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You'd think that Miranda, of all people, would be an expert at backdoor defense.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mass Effect 2 goes a long way to make Paragon Shepard not look like a pussy. Renegade Shepard needs no help to look like an overcompensating chump though.

Daris on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Which is pretty funny, because I imagine rolling in two weeks after the abduction and finding to Shepard's enormous surprise that Chakwas has somehow held out. Broke one of those blenders, used the acid to dig a burrow, put war paint on, became an infiltrator.

First thing she should say on seeing rescue: "Where's the booze, Shepard!?"
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    The first thing I thought was: "Oh shit, they took Kelly! Who the fuck is going to feed my fish now?"

I confess this is the first thing that crossed my mind when she was dragged into the elevator, as well. You don't understand I had to go to different planets to get them and I got the last one each time noooooo

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Daris wrote: »
    Mass Effect 2 goes a long way to make Paragon Shepard not look like a pussy. Renegade Shepard needs no help to look like an overcompensating chump though.

Paragon Shepard is still a bit of a self righteous asshole of course.

Mordin's loyalty, f'rinstance.

chiasaur11 on