As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Capcom's [Dragon's Dogma] - POST IN NEW THREAD

DashuiDashui Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Games and Technology
wnoF4.png

Developed by Devil May Cry 4 producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi and Devil May Cry 4 director Hideaki Itsuno and the rest of their team, Dragon's Dogma is a unique blend of games that, in short, has you create a character, choose your class, recruit and share party members from and with your friends, and explore a fully open-ended fantasy setting to complete quests and hunt giant monsters. What's most interesting is what they've taken from Shadow of the Colossus, however.

Eurogamer wrote:
Eventually the beast's wings catch fire and it tumbles to the ground. A quick sprint and we're up close, hacking and slashing with our daggers. But with a press of the R2 button we can grab the beast anywhere, then cling on for dear life, climbing, pulling at its feathers, stabbing frantically, eking down that boss life bar.

Grabbing onto and climbing around bosses is one of Dragon Dogma's most impressive features , and certainly the most thrilling one we've been shown so far. As the griffin flies into the air we hang on for dear life, moving about its body with animations that link together in a silky smooth, realistic fashion. We move from the tail to the back, seeking out weak spots, to the point where we're almost riding it. And stabbing it, of course.

"In a lot of action games, with big enemies the tendency is just to have you hacking away at the shins. You don't get the full effect of fighting a giant boss," Itsuno says. "With this game you can climb all over it. If it has a body part, you can attack it."

The grab attack levels up our interest in Dragon's Dogma. On the ground it lets you pick up smaller enemies and chuck them about, and enables you to come up behind them and hold them in a grip, allowing your pawns to kill them. But it is when used against the game's huge monsters that the grab shines brightest.

Capcom has assembled their largest team to date for Dragon's Dogma. It released in North America on May 22, 2012 and May 25, 2012 for Europe.

Penny-Arcade Multiplayer Player List

jdarksun has created a submission form and spreadsheet where you can share and view Penny-Arcade forumer information for Dragon's Dogma's online features.

You can enter your forum name and Xbox 360/Playstation 3 tags here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGowSV9zYjdNeHZyeXA2QlJSM1dwRnc6MQ#gid=0

You can view player information here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au0GcLXf5ngYdGowSV9zYjdNeHZyeXA2QlJSM1dwRnc#gid=0

Classes

This information was taken from the unofficial wikia.

Basic vocations are the first tier of the nine available vocations. They are unique to each other and each one provides various strengths. Basic vocations can eventually be upgraded to Advanced vocations.

There are three Basic vocations available:

Fighter - The Fighter focuses on the combination of sword and shield abilities.
Strider - The Strider uses a combination of daggers and bows and is capable of performing a double-jump.
Mage - The Mage uses a variety of magic and is the only vocation that can use curative magic.

Advanced vocations are the second tier of the available nine vocations in Dragon's Dogma. They are more powerful versions of the Basic vocations and can combine to achieve Hybrid vocations.

The available Advanced vocations are:

Warrior - A more powerful version of the Fighter that focuses on two-handed weapons.
Ranger - A more powerful version of the Strider that focuses on longbows.
Sorcerer - A more powerful version of the Mage that focuses on offensive magick.

Hybrid vocations are the last tier of the nine vocations in Dragon's Dogma. As the name implies, Hybrid vocations combine aspects of the three Advanced vocations. Only your main character, the Arisen, is able to become a Hybrid vocation.

There are three Hybrid vocations available:

Mystic Knight - The Mystic Knight combines aspects of the Warrior and Sorcerer, and is the only class that can use magick shields.
Magick Archer - The Magick Archer combines aspects of the Ranger and Sorcerer, and is the only class that can use magick bows.
Assassin - The Assassin combines aspects of the Ranger and Warrior, and has no unique weapons but can use a large variety of other weapons.

Videos

Screenshots
fEPWr.jpg

mWzbA.jpg

wrnhQ.jpg

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
Dashui on

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Was hoping there was a thread for this.

When I first saw the site, before the video was up, I was hoping against hope that it was a new Breath of Fire game. This is a more than acceptable alternative, though.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    This game looks like it might be some hot shit.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Indeed...this looks pretty cool. I'm keep an eye out for it.

Dragkonias on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So hey, um, guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7kFhryQabk

This game looks pretty FUCKING awesome.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game does look very fuckin cool.

But its a Japanese developed game, and that worries me slightly because sometimes Japanese devs don't know what qualifies as fun as opposed to dull/convoluted. It is Capcom and the DMC team, so fingers crossed!

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Being launched up to the Griffon by jumping off your buddy's back is pretty awesome.

Also this has to be co-op.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow. This thing looks awesome (the trailer gives me a bit of a Monster Hunter vibe. This is a very good thing).

God dammit.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh my god. I had not heard a thing about this game until yesterday then I see this thread and actual gameplay and WOW! This. Is. AWESOME! Man. Just.....did you guys see that stuff? This BETTER have co-op. Oh man please god.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The combat system sounded a lot simpler than what I would expect from the Devil May Cry team, at least from the Eurogamer hands-on.

Walt on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

But its a Japanese developed game, and that worries me slightly because sometimes Japanese devs don't know what qualifies as fun as opposed to dull/convoluted. It is Capcom and the DMC team, so fingers crossed!

Has Japanland really backslid that much? Aw who am I kidding....

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It kind of looks like what I initially imagined and hoped monster hunter was when I had just heard people talk about it but not seen it.

-SPI- on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That new trailer makes me desire co-op for this even more.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited May 2011

Yes, you're right, there is not a single fun game that has been developed by a single Japanese person.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited May 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »

Yes, you're right, there is not a single fun game that has been developed by a single Japanese person.

Hey, way to not comprehend my post!

:^:

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't think every action game needs a complex combat system like Devil May Cry. I really like that in this video the action still feels badass without being too crazy or over the top like God of War/ Devil May cry.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited May 2011

Meh. I was making a joke...probably not the best thing to do before waking up fully. :lol: Sorry.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited May 2011

Meh. I was making a joke...probably not the best thing to do before waking up fully. :lol: Sorry.

Oh.:oops:

My bad...

Skull2185 on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah this looks like something that could be pretty damned special in co-op. Capcom have been pushing co-op (and online in general) quite heavily lately.

Gonna keep a beady eye on this.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Monster Hunter Evolution? One can hope!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Capcom normally develops on the PS3 and ports to 360, yes?

Magic Pink on
    edited May 2011
    They mostly use the MT framework 2.0 engine, which I think performs a bit worse on the PS3.

Antihippy on
    edited May 2011
    360 it is.

Magic Pink on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah this looks like something that could be pretty damned special in co-op. Capcom have been pushing co-op (and online in general) quite heavily lately.

Gonna keep a beady eye on this.

Exactly this.

I am not normally a fan of the fantasy/dragons setting in games, but watching that fight with the griffon, there's no way that every one of those fighters shouldnt be controlled by a fellow human being.

I would play this constantly if it meant gathering some real life and online buddies and just running around battling mythical creatures.

I used to LOVE those "Monsters In My Pocket" things (and the NES game) as a kid. Learning about stuff like Griffons, Basilisk (although that was more from ARCHON), Chimera, Hyrda...those creatures just really fascinated me.

To see this game already has 2 of those covered, holy shit. This is amazing.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited May 2011
    I just get this bad vibe that it won't be. RE and DMC arn't known for their co-op but....if they're smart they will add that shit. Ill still buy this regardless but goddamn I want that shit to happen because that is way too cool to not happen.

mastrius on
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ho damn!

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
    edited May 2011
    I remember reading a GameInformer article about this game. The guy said he was paired up with two AI controlled partners. I want to say I read something about no coop, but I don't remember if I read that in the article or not.

Skull2185 on
    edited May 2011
    I remember reading a GameInformer article about this game. The guy said he was paired up with two AI controlled partners. I want to say I read something about no coop, but I don't remember if I read that in the article or not.

The DMC guys don't do co-op so I get the feeling it won't be. But to not take advantage of the possibility would just be a waste.

mastrius on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mastrius wrote: »

The DMC guys don't do co-op so I get the feeling it won't be. But to not take advantage of the possibility would just be a waste.

But but but in DMC3 there was a fight you could do in coop if you plugged in a second controller!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited May 2011
    Fireflash wrote: »

But but but in DMC3 there was a fight you could do in coop if you plugged in a second controller!

CO-OP CONFIRMED

Magic Pink on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Looks like a cross between Monster Hunter with non-shitty combat and Dragon Age with non-shitty combat, if they have some depth in the class skills and gear department at least.

I can dig that because I wanted to like both games but couldn't because of the shitty combat.

JihadJesus on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Opinions lol. I love the combat in the MH series, I just have a hard time getting past the grind.

Glal on
    edited May 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Fireflash wrote: »

CO-OP CONFIRMED

Haha. Actually if you cheat and use the infinite Devil meter thing and create your shadow and plug in a second controller, the whole game can be co-op since it never runs out so the shadow doesn't disappear!

mastrius on
    edited May 2011
    Looks more like Demon's souls to me with faster paced combat and the dark suffocating atmosphere being replaced with high fantasy. With more co-op kinda stuff I guess.

Then again I've never really payed attention to monster hunter.

Antihippy on
    edited May 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Looks more like Demon's souls to me with faster paced combat and the dark suffocating atmosphere being replaced with high fantasy. With more co-op kinda stuff I guess.

Then again I've never really payed attention to monster hunter,

I didn't care for Monster Hunter although my friend loves it to death. But this game just looks so epic.

mastrius on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Please don' t fuck up Capcom

Turkey on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'll buy this because of the team behind it and the trailers were impressive but the art direction is lacking. the DMC guys can do way better than generic fantasy world 999. A griphon that isn't made of Liquid steel and doesn't insult you? PUh lease.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited June 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJmsgLILz64

So this game is looking pretty cool.

Antihippy on
    edited June 2011
    Video's been cocklocked :(

Skull2185 on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not sure if that above video is the same as this one on the Playstation US blog or not.

The premise of the story seems simple enough.
    A giant fucking dragon rips your heart out of your chest and flies away with it. Your quest is to find the dragon and politely ask him at sword-point why he did it.

I have a better question.
    How are you still alive?!

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What's the release platform for this?

Big Classy on
This discussion has been closed.