As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Witcher 2: PATCH 1.2 OUT NOW - plus a hairstyling dlc

• Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    I think the proper name is launcher, but now I am getting an error "Failed applying patch change to C:\...Launcher.exe

Wow I figured it out, name the exe "Launcher" exactly like that, remove all DLC and mods, make sure the shortcut isn't in the folder (will only be there if you moved it there) then it should work.

Praise the gods.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I got the patch to work, I got all the DLC stuff they put out which I suppose I can put in my game if I wish and even managed to download the troll DLC file though I got no idea where that goes, any one can tell me?

Only wish could you know, activate the thing, at least can play.

Cade on
  • Options
    SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think I need to uninstall this game. Or buy another hard drive specifically for it.

Saphier on
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I got the patch to work, I got all the DLC stuff they put out which I suppose I can put in my game if I wish and even managed to download the troll DLC file though I got no idea where that goes, any one can tell me?
    The Troll Troubles DLC is automatically included in patch v1.1

Prisca on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So is the patch a good thing or a bad thing? I'm paranoid about modifying the game at all whether it's the patch or the ati drivers since really it's been running just fine.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The fact that it completely removes the SecuROM from all copies puts it as a good thing in my book.

DogEight on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DogEight wrote: »
    The fact that it completely removes the SecuROM from all copies puts it as a good thing in my book.

That right there makes it worth the download. Now if I had only left my PC on when I left for work, I could have started this patch remotely :(

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    THe Patcher_1.1_International.exe (for Gog.exe US) just hangs at Checking Game Version...

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm scared to apply that ATI hotifx. I mean, my game was doing fine before and I'm not using crossfire.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My retail copy patched no problems with just the international retail patch. Weird.

Detharin on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    THe Patcher_1.1_International.exe (for Gog.exe US) just hangs at Checking Game Version...

As it says on the patch page, get it from GOG if you bought it from GOG. It'll be under the extra downloads for the game on your shelf.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There are multiple patches besides the International one, that one did not work for me, the North American one did though no problem.

And looks like they mostly got everything working at last thankfully.

Though their site once you finish registering seems to be down.

Cade on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That 9 gigs thing must be a mistake. The GoG.com patch was 9MB. (The one I got off the shelf picture under "my account" worked without any problems for me)

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So the bonus DLCs don't seem to wrok, atleast I don't think they do. They're in the DLC section in the launcher but didn't get a new outfit in the inventory.

Also game runs slightly better still. I managed to get 55fps running outside vergen. Everything on medium wiith SSAO and Blur off. In combat it drops way down to 23 if its a stupidly intense fight but mostly its a steady 30 now.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As someone said on the previous page, the non-Steam versions are patching a 9 GB file. Steam, for whatever reason, seems to be replacing the file entirely.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i cant install the gog patch, probably due to the mods i had installed, even removing them messes it up still, having to reinstall the game and see if that works.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i cant install the gog patch, probably due to the mods i had installed, even removing them messes it up still, having to reinstall the game and see if that works.

I modded the game and patched up through gog without any issues.

I used the white hair mod, troll trouble fix and weightless items.

Derrick on
  • Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, I was going to buy witcher 2 today, but with shogun 2 on sale I'm hesitant. Is it worth it to get it now, or should I wait a couple months for some patches and (maybe) discount?

cpugeek13 on
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    So the bonus DLCs don't seem to wrok, atleast I don't think they do. They're in the DLC section in the launcher but didn't get a new outfit in the inventory.

Also game runs slightly better still. I managed to get 55fps running outside vergen. Everything on medium wiith SSAO and Blur off. In combat it drops way down to 23 if its a stupidly intense fight but mostly its a steady 30 now.

I just ran all the .exe's and the items turned up in a new game I started, though they didn't show as installed in the launcher (just leave them alone there). They may not appear in a loaded game.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »

I just ran all the .exe's and the items turned up in a new game I started, though they didn't show as installed in the launcher (just leave them alone there). They may not appear in a loaded game.

I jumped to conclusions a little too quick. Basically, I'd installed a DLC that gave you a bunch of potions but didn't know it. Booted the game up and started playing Dice Poker with a character. Won and along with the Orens won text that appears on the left of the screen, there were all the potions in a neat list. Didn't realise it was from the DLC and not from winning poker.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    cpugeek13 wrote: »
    So, I was going to buy witcher 2 today, but with shogun 2 on sale I'm hesitant. Is it worth it to get it now, or should I wait a couple months for some patches and (maybe) discount?

It is one of the best RPG's ever created, so I'd say now. Depends on your money situation though. If you're hurting when it comes to buying two games, then maybe the answer is no.

I played Shogun 2 by the way. It's an okay game. But if you're choosing, I'd go with the Witcher 2.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'll honestly say that in my opinion, the Witcher series is tied for the best writing ever in an RPG. For dialog I'd say it's the best. Fallout and Elder Scrolls at their best have better lore, but in the nitty gritty stuff Witcher takes the cake.

I don't like to pass judgement on RPGs until I've played them through twice and given them about six months to percolate in my head, so I can't pass judgment on the Witcher 2 at the moment, but my interim opinion (so to speak) is that this is the best RPG since New Vegas (and New Vegas was the best since Morrowind).

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »

It is one of the best RPG's ever created, so I'd say now. Depends on your money situation though. If you're hurting when it comes to buying two games, then maybe the answer is no.

I played Shogun 2 by the way. It's an okay game. But if you're choosing, I'd go with the Witcher 2.

Gonna go with BlackDove on this one.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Witcher series are my favourite games of all time. Thats just that, the books that the games are based off, are my favourite books, and these games are just absolutely fantastic. I've even bought the first witcher twice, and almost a third time when it was on for 4.99 on GoG.com for a friend of mine. The Witcher 2 is easily the best RPG of this year, if not the last 10.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ok, you guys have sold me on it. Whats the best place to get it? I usually buy my games on steam (gotta love the auto-updating), but I heard that gog.com is the most direct way to get it from the devs. Any other benefits or dlc that I should know about?

cpugeek13 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm not really a big fan of the numerous references to modern science and culture, in fact they really shit up the immersion for me, but otherwise the writing is quite good.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sonork wrote: »
    Goddamnit steam.. really 9 GB patch? really?

reeeally?

Is that overwriting stuff or is the game now going to take up 22gigs of space?

Seriously?

Man I just downloaded the patch from GOG.com. It came in at 9 MB.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ok, you guys have sold me on it. Whats the best place to get it? I usually buy my games on steam (gotta love the auto-updating), but I heard that gog.com is the most direct way to get it from the devs. Any other benefits or dlc that I should know about?

GoG is probably the best. That way all the money goes to the developer (CD Projekt owns GoG.com)

The DLC quest was free for everyone. The only thing you get with some different versions of the game are outfits and items in-game which aren't that consequential to the gameplay.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The DLC quest was free for everyone. The only thing you get with some different versions of the game are outfits and items in-game which aren't that consequential to the gameplay.

Also, everyone gets the other DLC free now: http://www.en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/34/

Hurrah!

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, the patch also removes the DRM for everyone.

Still idiotic that they included it as it didn't help them shit (game was pirated before 0-day anyway) and caused a supreme amount of problems for a buttload of users.

But at least they've removed it in its entirety now.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm on the fence about an alchemy run. I could mod the game to make potions last an hour or so, and that way not get screwed out of talents on boss fights, but that would lower the difficulty quite a bit? Opinions?

I wish there was a "just drink potions whenever you want" mod. Shit would make sense.

Derrick on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The GoG.com version never had any DRM, if that helps anything. I think the other versions only had it due to publisher pressure. CDProjekt was never big on DRM, and now they've removed it anyways so cheers to them.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Still idiotic that they included it as it didn't help them shit (game was pirated before 0-day anyway) and caused a supreme amount of problems for a buttload of users.

Didn't they do exactly this with the first one? I like to think of it as a huge 'Fuck you' to the publishers and their DRM mentality.

You want us to release with shitty DRM that ruins the user experience? Fine...Oh shit we need to patch *poof* DRM gone.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just want to point something out to people having trouble patching. If you have the retail version, but replaced the exe with the gog exe, then downloaded the retail patch - that may be causing problems.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Didn't they do exactly this with the first one? I like to think of it as a huge 'Fuck you' to the publishers and their DRM mentality.

You want us to release with shitty DRM that ruins the user experience? Fine...Oh shit we need to patch *poof* DRM gone.

I'm of the opinion DRM should not be included in any way whatsoever with any games.

I know, an unrealistic wish.

Considering that this is as good as it gets, good on them.

But it obviously caused a lot of problems for a lot of people who bought the retail game. And that's just a big negative.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Derrick wrote: »
    I'm on the fence about an alchemy run. I could mod the game to make potions last an hour or so, and that way not get screwed out of talents on boss fights, but that would lower the difficulty quite a bit? Opinions?

I wish there was a "just drink potions whenever you want" mod. Shit would make sense.
    I decided to do a run using that mutagen guide someone posted earlier in the thread. As soon as I put my second point into the mutagen buffing skill, I slotted the two top training tree skills with a madness mutagen and a greater strength mutagen for 8 armor, 4 damage, 15 vitality, and 1 vitality regeneration. And I still have 5 mutagen slots left in the alchemy tree. It's pretty sweet.

Monger on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    How do you use mutagens? I can't find any info in game.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    woo, after a reinstall the patch works fine and all dlcs installed and save games working perfectly. 8-)

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »

its in the manual, it was also a tooltip the first time you pick one up and should be in the journal.

look for small circles on the character screen, you had add them in there, there is only a few though for the higher tree.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    On the skill tree, there's a few skills that will have empty slots on them after you buy them. When you mouseover, next to the button to purchase the skill is a button that says mutate, which is hotkeyed to the enter key. Either click that button or hit enter to bring up the list of mutagens in your inventory that you can apply there. Once you put a mutagen in, it's there forever and can't be replaced.

There's a list of skills that can be mutated in that link I just posted.

Monger on