As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Witcher 2: PATCH 1.2 OUT NOW - plus a hairstyling dlc

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm not really a big fan of the numerous references to modern science and culture, in fact they really shit up the immersion for me, but otherwise the writing is quite good.

Probably can blame Sapkowski for that.

Personally, I didn't mind it. It's rather nice that when some weird shit happens in a fantasy setting, the default answer isn't necessarily that a magic man done it.

edit: also, this must be the fastest time DRM has been patched out from release date ever. I love how these fellas work, I really do.

Zxerol on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow nevermind, thought it would be different.

Fizban140 on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just got past the courtyard in the monastery on Insanity.

It's so different knowing if you only have one death. Your #1 priority is always survival. You don't give a shit about saving potions/traps, you just use what you got when you can because it's better to waste a trap than to die. Thankfully you get restocked in the prologue at each section.

Hoz on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Ugh so I am at the end of chap 1 I think
    Letho fight, didn't know it was coming and I have no oils or potions, this doesn't feel possible. He kills me in a couple hits and it takes so many for him.

Can somebody else link it this time?

Please?

I'm getting fucking tired.

BlackDove on
  • tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, its a pain at first.
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Ugh so I am at the end of chap 1 I think
    Letho fight, didn't know it was coming and I have no oils or potions, this doesn't feel possible. He kills me in a couple hits and it takes so many for him.
    As soon as you load throw an aard his way. Prevents him from knocking you down, and after that, your general strategy should be to run up, hit him with ard, then one or two times with a fast attack(you CAN hit him with the strong attack, but I found fast attacking twice way safer.) and then dodging out of his way. Even if he casts quen do the same thing, just try to avoid his sword blows, and if you're farther away dodge away from the bombs. Even with potions or oils he can still destroy you with one or two hits, from what I found. Be patient, just remember-attacks of oppurtunity.

tehkensai on
    jAhPU.jpg
  • Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    subedii wrote: »
    Sonork wrote: »
    Goddamnit steam.. really 9 GB patch? really?

reeeally?

Is that overwriting stuff or is the game now going to take up 22gigs of space?

Seriously?

Man I just downloaded the patch from GOG.com. It came in at 9 MB.

Rather then patching "out" the target files the Steam version is having users redownload a major modified game file that clocks in at 9 GB. Don't interrupt the installation whatever you do as it is actually reinstalling a portion of the game.

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Steam also never uses compression for distribution, but the whole data as-is (17 gb for Steam download versus 9 for gog.com). Good for instant gratification as soon as your game downloads, but fucking hell for people with shitty bandwidth. And good luck if you have your games to automatically update (which is default), because it won't tell you it just deleted the outdated file and is now pulling nine freaking gigabytes. Being able to play the game while it downloads an update for it is a no-no obviously.

I like Steam a lot but a lot of the the ways the client does its business is mind-boggling stupid -- most of it regarding to downloading stuff.

Monday Night Combat on Steam used to download the entire packfiles when it patches resulting in 3 gb patches each update, and the devs eventually had to write a custom bit-patcher themselves because Steam has no such thing.

Zxerol on
  • BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I'm not really a big fan of the numerous references to modern science and culture, in fact they really shit up the immersion for me, but otherwise the writing is quite good.

Probably can blame Sapkowski for that.

Personally, I didn't mind it. It's rather nice that when some weird shit happens in a fantasy setting, the default answer isn't necessarily that a magic man done it.

edit: also, this must be the fastest time DRM has been patched out from release date ever. I love how these fellas work, I really do.

Yes you can "blame" him for that as it is a part of the novels/short stories. So for anyone complaining about it breaking immersion, understand it is just as much a part of the setting as magic and everything else. Accept that this world is a mixture of modern science and old school fantasy and keep on trucking.

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you're on any kind of bandwidth cap it's definitely an issue. There's really no good reason for it.

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • The SnertThe Snert Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I patched the game and now there seems to be issues with my controller (yes im using the 360 controller). I can't seem to scroll through journal entries with the right stick, and more importantly, I dont see the cursor in the quick menu (to meditate, select signs, etc). Kinda sucks. Google isnt showing me anything. Has anyone encountered this and have any thoughts?

The Snert on
    edited May 2011
    Beren39 wrote: »
    If you're on any kind of bandwidth cap it's definitely an issue. There's really no good reason for it.

Steam is partly a DRM scheme.

I'm sure any significant changes there require a "reinstall", or a full file wipe and replacement, depending on the severity of the changes in the codebase, which seem to be comprehensive with TW2.

You get what you sign up for.
    The Snert wrote: »
    So I patched the game and now there seems to be issues with my controller (yes im using the 360 controller). I can't seem to scroll through journal entries with the right stick, and more importantly, I dont see the cursor in the quick menu (to meditate, select signs, etc). Kinda sucks. Google isnt showing me anything. Has anyone encountered this and have any thoughts?

I haven't encountered it, but since you asked for thoughts, I will give mine to you.

Use a mouse and keyboard.

I also apologize because I know that is something you did not want to hear.

BlackDove on
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Maxed Quen with maxed sign intensity and 6 Vigor is kind of broken. On hard I can just smash LMB and refresh Quen once in awhile to win anything.

I bet I could just stand still and have everything kill themselves.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jesus I am bad at this game. I got ambushed by nekkers near the manor in Chapter 1 and was down to almost no health in only a few seconds.

Also, I think I've died multiple times in every encounter with more than 2 enemies.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jephery wrote: »
    Maxed Quen with maxed sign intensity and 6 Vigor is kind of broken. On hard I can just smash LMB and refresh Quen once in awhile to win anything.

Totally agree. Unless I'm using it to avoid dragon fire or knockdown spam/stunlocking, I feel guilty using it. I know some people appreciate how amazingly helpful it is, so I'd love to see a mod tone it down a bit. Maybe make it take a vigor bar for each hit it takes or still stagger Geralt despite blocking the damage.

DogEight on
    edited May 2011

Try Quen with 7 vigor.

BlackDove on
  • BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »

Try Quen with 7 vigor.

What talent/whatever do you have to take to get 7 vigor? I only see six. :F

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
    edited May 2011
    He probably means the +1 vigor potion.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    edited May 2011
    Nope. One vigor in the "Witcher" path north.

One vigor in the Sword path west (after the distance-dodge thing).

The rest on the magic path.

BlackDove on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The penultimate armor (the one you use to make the best armor in-game) also grants an extra vigor point.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So what's the best way to get caught up on the plot before getting started on this one if I never played the first game?

Zek on
    edited May 2011
    If you want you could probably watch all of the cutscenes from the first one on YouTube or watch a Lets Play of it.

Actually, someone did a lets play of the first on this forum if you can find it.

Reading a wiki could work too.

Jephery on
    }
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yay, the Direct2Drive patch was only a few megs.

done and done.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Foefaller wrote: »
    The penultimate armor (the one you use to make the best armor in-game) also grants an extra vigor point.

Eh, that's actually the best armor if you're a heavy sign user, imo. The upgrade is actually a bit of a downgrade.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    edited May 2011
    The DLC quest was free for everyone. The only thing you get with some different versions of the game are outfits and items in-game which aren't that consequential to the gameplay.

Also, everyone gets the other DLC free now: http://www.en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/34/

Hurrah!
    wait wait wait wait

what?

edit - well ok, I fired off 6 e-mails and got 6 DLC downloads, totalled about 9 megs.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    The DLC quest was free for everyone. The only thing you get with some different versions of the game are outfits and items in-game which aren't that consequential to the gameplay.

Also, everyone gets the other DLC free now: http://www.en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/34/

Hurrah!
    wait wait wait wait

what?

edit - well ok, I fired off 6 e-mails and got 6 DLC downloads, totalled about 9 megs.

this is awesome, gonna install when i get home. :D

so glad i brought my netbook, downloading on hotel wifi

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited May 2011
    So because of server issues and people not being able to download some preorder DLC, you're going to straight-up give them away? Instead of charging like $1.99 for them?

These clowns aren't going anywhere with this little league shit.

Zxerol on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    But the Vran armor has one crucial advantage: it looks cooler.

Yougottawanna on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, inventory management, how do I do it? Im always full and I don't know what to sell, and there is no stash, no? Should I just sell literally anything that isn't part of a recipe I'm currently trying to make?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, inventory management, how do I do it? Im always full and I don't know what to sell, and there is no stash, no? Should I just sell literally anything that isn't part of a recipe I'm currently trying to make?

I sell any weapons and armour I don't foresee myself using. I also am trying to use as many of the heavier reagents ("Drowner brains I am looking at you") as I can, and trying to spam my daggers, bombs and potions as much as possible.

Even then the lowest I have gotten to is around 260lbs. Where is all this weight coming from?!?

I know I sound like I'm on the diet thread instead.

Wolfprint on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

There are a lot of items that show up only in the "see all" option in your inventory because they're junk. Rings and such that you pick up are simply meant to be sold that way. You can stack up a surprising amount of weight with just junk.

Personally after doing a full playthrough I don't feel playing the inventory game was worthwhile, so I modded out item weight.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    On the subject of "where is all this weight coming from!!?!" go through your inventory with the all option selected and look for heavy junk items. Enemies will drop things that have weight but do not fit into any category aside from all. i think i dropped 20 pounds first time i did that.

Detharin on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Generally I only kept 10 of each ingredient. I sold 90% of the mutagens I found. Only kept the trophy I was wearing at the time. Most of the weight was from ore/Timber/leather, you generally don't need more then 10 of either of those at any one time.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I beat it! That was great, but I don't know exactly which save I'll want to import into The Witcher 3. It should be obvious of the two, but...
    It seems like the best route is to help Phillipa out of the dungeons and retrieve the dagger to cure Saskia. You abandon Triss, but Letho saves her and Iorveth walks out with you, as well. If you go after Triss, then you either have to kill Saskia (which I did) or let her go, which would result in her still being under Phillipa's and Sile's control and the city would burn. Iorveth is also put under a damaging spell if you go after her, too. I just really liked the scenes where I saved Triss, the sappy, romantic dialog that followed, and her appearance during the meeting. Letho took her place at the meeting if I didn't go after her, as well as putting her on the list of the accused. I don't entirely know which ending I liked more.
    Now I'll have to replay it again and go down the Roche path.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited May 2011
    I don't think I am carrying so much junk. Most of the weight should be coming from ore and timber.

Can someone give me a spoilered list of items (and how many) I should be keeping in Chapter 3. I have heard that some crafting requires special reagents, and I don't want to have to backtrack/mod stuff in.

Wolfprint on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Just download the weightless mod, infinite carry room the way it should be.

Fizban140 on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You can pretty much ignore timber, leather, and cloth as if you ever need it even in chapter 3 there is a supply nearby. Ore I think i needed 14 for the last sword, but again there was a bit laying around so i could make due carrying less. The only things you really need to hold onto are the Queen Pheromones from chapter 1, Bulver brain, nekker warrior blood, and either a harpy egg or a rotfiend tongue.

Detharin on
  • EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Got the 1.1 patch and I'd definitely say it's improved the performance (I was on retail). Which, is awesome for this 2nd run, but also super frustrating that my first run could have been better due to something dumb (i.e. DRM on something I bought). I'll need to check the settings again but it does seem like something's changed a little. It looked a little sharper, and some of the shadows on the faces looked a little different.

Breezed through the intro on Normal (although the first run I didn't have that much trouble until the end of Chapter 1). Already found a few more quests and some nice dialogue I missed the first time. Almost forgot how awesome Foltest was. He definitely holds the record for "best eye rolling" in any game, ever.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Detharin wrote: »
    You can pretty much ignore timber, leather, and cloth as if you ever need it even in chapter 3 there is a supply nearby. Ore I think i needed 14 for the last sword, but again there was a bit laying around so i could make due carrying less. The only things you really need to hold onto are the Queen Pheromones from chapter 1, Bulver brain, nekker warrior blood, and either a harpy egg or a rotfiend tongue.

...and I belive you can find the brains, eggs, and tongues in Chapter 3. The Blood as well I think, but only if
    You sided with Iorveth and used the caves he uses to get into the city

any other monster part that has "Crafting component" on it is either used to craft otherwise purchaseable items (such as leather and oil), can be found in Chapter 3 or is use for equipment that is obsolete by the end of chapter 3 (like the Kayran Armor and armor upgrade)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Great. I can sell the other items then.

I don't really want to use the weightless mod because it renders one entire aspect of the game worthless. I know inventory management is not the most fun thing, but I just get hung up over blatantly ignoring an element of the game.

Also, does anyone get the impression that the world is less dangerous than it was back in TW1? The swamps in TW1 were teeming with different kinds of creatures. But in TW2, there are fewer packs of monsters, and less of them in each pack. I theorise that CDP was thinking that the lack of a distinct group style makes it harder for them to send mobs after you and still maintain a game balance. Wish they did have more mobs of monsters though; by the end game Geralt breezes through everything.

Wolfprint on
    edited May 2011
    Derrick wrote: »
    Personally after doing a full playthrough I don't feel playing the inventory game was worthwhile, so I modded out item weight.
    this is something I would like to know more about

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png