As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Doctor Who] Thread

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
(parts of OP stolen mercilessly from Bethryn's)

Okay! Right, first, general background!
Wikipedia wrote:
Doctor Who is a British science fiction television programme produced by the BBC. The programme depicts the adventures of a mysterious alien time-traveller known as "the Doctor" who travels in his space and time-ship, the TARDIS, which normally appears from the exterior to be a blue 1950s police box. With his companions, he explores time and space, solving problems, facing monsters and righting wrongs.

The current TARDIS crew:
Doctor-Who-Oval-Office.jpg

The Eleventh Doctor: Matt Smith
Considerably more alien and quirky than his two previous incarnations, the Doctor still enjoys fighting injustice and exploring (and really wants some kind of hat).

Amy [strike]Williams[/strike] Pond: Karen Gillan
Now married to long-suffering fiance Rory, Amy first met the Doctor as a young girl. It took him several years to return to give her her promised trip in the TARDIS (and several bitten psychologists and a full-on TARDIS landing at her wedding for her to convince others he was real), but what can you do?

Rory [strike]Williams[/strike] Pond: Arthur Darvill
Now married to Amy and no longer an Auton/dead, Rory has joined the show as a full-time companion after the Doctor burst out of the cake at his stag party.

Also, special occasional bonus member (spoilered boxed in honor, not because it's a spoiler)
River-Song_320.jpg
[strike]Cleopatra[/strike] [strike]Professor[/strike] Doctor River Song: Alex Kingston
Is she the Doctor's wife? Is she going to kill the Doctor? Is she a regenerated Romana? Is she a regenerated Jenny? Is she a future Amy Pond? We're getting some answers this season, by word o' Moffat.

I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! [How to Watch]
Americans/Canadians: REJOICE. The BBC, in its infinite wisdom, is no longer delaying the airing of new episodes on our side of the pond. (Well, technically, they still are, but it's in terms of hours instead of weeks.)

Americans: BBC America, Saturdays, 9 PM EST
Canadians: Space, Saturdays, 8 PM ET
Britons: BBC1, Saturdays, 6 PM BST

Now, I can't check the scanner... [if you don't own a TV...]
Unless my math is wrong: people watching in standard definition should go with an iTunes season pass. People who want high-def goodness should go with an Amazon VOD subscription.
iTunes
HD/SD Episode Rental - $0.99
SD Episode Purchase - $1.99
HD Episode Purchase - $2.99
SD Season Pass - $12.99 - Best Standard Def Deal
HD Season Pass - $19.99

Amazon Video on Demand
HD/SD Episode Rental - N/A (Amazon VOD doesn't offer rentals.)
SD Episode Purchase - $1.99
HD Episode Purchase - $2.99
SD Season Pass - ($1.99 * 7) - (($1.99*0.05)*7) ~= $13.23
HD Season Pass - ($2.99*7) - (($2.99*0.05)*7) ~= $19.88 - Best HD Deal

Time isn't a straight line, it's all bumpy-wumpy. [Delays for digital subscribers]
The delay appears to be about 9 hours from the end of the episode for it to hit Amazon/iTunes.

Shouldn't that be 13, and not 7?
iTunes and Amazon are billing this as "Doctor Who Season 6 (Part 1)", in light of the fact that it's being split in half: we get seven episodes, with a midseason break after (I believe) June 11, and the show returning in the fall.

The Oncoming Storm: Trailers (and a mini-episode!)

s!
The policy in the thread is to spoilerbox stuff until a week after it has aired, to be fair to people who aren't watching things "live".

STUFF YOU CAN TALK ABOUT WITHOUT SPOILERS
- Season 5
- A Christmas Carol
- 6.01: The Impossible Astronaut | prequel
- 6.02: Day of the Moon
- 6.03: The Curse of the Black Spot | prequel
- 6.04: The Doctor's Wife

STUFF YOU SHOULD SPOILER TAG
- Episode 6.05
- (and of course, all future episodes)

All of time and space - where do I want to start? [A Quick Primer, and Starting Points]
Doctor Who first premiered in November 1963 with William Hartnell as the First Doctor, and ran until December 1989 with Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor. This time period is known as "the classic series".

Paul McGann appeared as the Eighth Doctor in a TV movie in 1996. Long unavailable, this was recently released on DVD as "Doctor Who: The Movie"

Christopher Eccleston appeared as the Ninth Doctor when the BBC and executive producer Russell T. Davies resurrected the show in 2005. The numbering for episodes and seasons was restarted, so Eccleston's first series was released as "Doctor Who: The Complete First Series".

There are three usual starting points that come up in the thread:

- The Complete First Series: As previously noted, Eccleston's first (and only) series as the Doctor, and the first series after the show was brought back. Starts out patchy, but improves considerably after "Dalek".

- The Complete Fifth Series: The most recent series of the show, the first with Matt Smith as the Doctor and the first with Steven Moffat as executive producer. NB: While you don't have to watch Series 1-4 of the "new" show to enjoy the fifth series, I'd like to recommend you watch "Blink" from Series 3 and "Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead" from Series 4 for Maximum Enjoyment.

- From the beginning: the hardcore approach. Substantial chunks of the show are missing forever due to BBC policies, and there's a lot of material to take in through your eyes. Furthermore, the formatting and tone of the show has varied quite a bit over the years.

"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly and in the right order?" [The Episode List]
The Complete First Series - Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor
1.01 - Rose
1.02 - The End of the World
1.03 - The Unquiet Dead
1.04 - Aliens of London [Part One of Two]
1.05 - World War Three [Part Two of Two]
1.06 - Dalek
1.07 - The Long Game
1.08 - Father's Day
1.09 - The Empty Child [Part One of Two]
1.10 - The Doctor Dances [Part Two of Two]
1.11 - Boom Town
1.12 - Bad Wolf [Part One of Two]
1.13 - The Parting of the Ways [Part Two of Two]

NaN - Doctor Who: Children in Need (AKA: Doctor Who: Born Again)

The Complete Second Series - David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor
2.00 - The Christmas Invasion
2.01 - New Earth
2.02 - Tooth and Claw
2.03 - School Reunion
2.04 - The Girl in the Fireplace
2.05 - Rise of the Cybermen [Part One of Two]
2.06 - The Age of Steel [Part Two of Two]
2.07 - The Idiot's Lantern
2.08 - The Impossible Planet [Part One of Two]
2.09 - The Satan Pit [Part Two of Two]
2.10 - Love and Monsters
2.11 - Fear Her
2.12 - Army of Ghosts [Part One of Two]
2.13 - Doomsday [Part Two of Two]

The Complete Third Series - David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor
3.00 - The Runaway Bride
3.01 - Smith and Jones
3.02 - The Shakespeare Code
3.03 - Gridlock
3.04 - Daleks in Manhattan [Part One of Two]
3.05 - Evolution of the Daleks [Part Two of Two]
3.06 - The Lazarus Experiment
3.07 - 42
3.08 - Human Nature [Part One of Two]
3.09 - The Family of Blood [Part Two of Two]
3.10 - Blink
3.11 - Utopia [Part One of Three]
3.12 - The Sound of Drums [Part Two of Three]
3.13 - Last of the Time Lords [Part Three of Three]

NaN - Children in Need: Time Crash [technically takes place during the events of 3.13]

The Complete Fourth Series - David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor
4.00 - Voyage of the Damned
4.01 - Partners in Crime
4.02 - The Fires of Pompeii
4.03 - Planet of the Ood
4.04 - The Sontaran Stratagem [Part One of Two]
4.05 - The Poison Sky [Part Two of Two]
4.06 - The Doctor's Daughter
4.07 - The Unicorn and the Wasp
4.08 - Silence in the Library [Part One of Two]
4.09 - Forest of the Dead [Part Two of Two]
4.10 - Midnight
4.11 - Turn Left [Part One of Three]
4.12 - The Stolen Earth [Part Two of Three]
4.13 - Journey's End [Part Three of Three]

The Complete Specials - David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor
S1 - The Next Doctor
S2 - Planet of the Dead
S3 - The Waters of Mars
S4 - The End of Time, Part One
S5 - The End of Time, Part Two

The Complete Fifth Series - Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor
5.01 - The Eleventh Hour
5.02 - The Beast Below
5.03 - Victory of the Daleks
5.04 - The Time of Angels [Part One of Two]
5.05 - Flesh and Stone [Part Two of Two]
5.06 - The Vampires of Venice
5.07 - Amy's Choice
5.08 - The Hungry Earth [Part One of Two]
5.09 - Cold Blood [Part Two of Two]
5.10 - Vincent and the Doctor
5.11 - The Lodger
5.12 - The Pandorica Opens [Part One of Two]
5.13 - The Big Bang [Part Two of Two]

The Complete Sixth Series - Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor

6.01 - The Impossible Astronaut [Part One of Two]
6.02 - Day of the Moon [Part Two of Two]
6.03 - The Curse of the Black Spot
6.04 - The Doctor's Wife
6.05 - Will post title 5/28 [Part One of Two]
6.06 - Will post title 6/4 [Part Two of Two]
6.07 - Will post title 6/11 [Part One of Two, SPRING FINALE]
6.08 - ??? [Part Two of Two, FALL PREMIERE]
6.09 - ???
6.10 - ???
6.11 - ???
6.12 - ???
6.13 - ??? [Season Finale]

Give me the full play-by-play on the new series and the various spinoffs.
Alright, here's what to watch when.

Doctor Who
Torchwood
The Sarah Jane Adventures

Doctor Who - Season One (Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper)
Doctor Who - Children in Need (Sometimes known as "Born Again" - David Tennant and Billie Piper)
Christmas Special 1 - The Christmas Invasion (David Tennant and Billie Piper)
Doctor Who - Season Two (David Tennant and Billie Piper)
Christmas Special 2 - The Runaway Bride (David Tennant and Catherine Tate)
Doctor Who - Season Three (David Tennant and Freema Agyeman)
Doctor Who - Time Crash (David Tennant and Peter Davison)

The first animated episode, "The Infinite Quest", takes place between 3.07, "42", and 3.08, "Human Nature".

The first season of Torchwood takes place roughly at the same time as the third season of Doctor Who. If you're watching it at the same time, try watching an episode of Torchwood after each Season 3 episode, starting with "The Runaway Bride". If you time it right, you should watch the Torchwood S1 finale, "End of Days", right before 3.11, "Utopia".

The first season of The Sarah Jane Adventures also takes place roughly at the same time as the third season. It doesn't cross over into the main Doctor Who plotline, however.

The Comic Relief special, "Time Crash", technically takes place during the season 3 finale. You can get away with watching it afterwards.

Christmas Special 3 - Voyage of the Damned (David Tennant and Kylie Minogue)
Doctor Who - Season Four (David Tennant and Catherine Tate)

The special Proms episode, "Music of the Spheres", takes place after the Season Four finale.

The second season of Torchwood takes place roughly at the same time as the fourth season of Doctor Who. Again, you should be done with the Torchwood season before the Doctor Who season finale starts in 4.11, "Turn Left".

The second season of The Sarah Jane Adventures takes place roughly at the same time as the fourth season of Doctor Who. It'd probably make the most sense to start watching after 4.05, "The Poison Sky".

The Torchwood miniseries, "Children of Earth", takes place at the same time as the following special episodes. If you want to know the story behind Jack's appearance in "The End of Time", watch "Children of Earth".

Similarly, season three of The Sarah Jane Adventures takes place at the same time as the specials, and features an appearance by the Doctor in "The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith". If you alternate Sarah Jane and Doctor Who, you should reach "The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith" before "The End of Time, Part 1".

Christmas Special 4 - The Next Doctor (David Tennant and David Morrissey)
Special 1 - Planet of the Dead (David Tennant and Michelle Ryan)
Special 2 - The Waters of Mars (David Tennant and Lindsay Duncan)

The second animated episode, "Dreamland", takes place between "The Waters of Mars" and "The End of Time, Part 1".

Special 3 - The End of Time, Parts 1 and 2 (David Tennant and Bernard Cribbins)
Doctor Who - Season 5 (Matt Smith and Karen Gillan)

The fourth season of The Sarah Jane Adventures takes place after the fifth season of Doctor Who, and features an appearance by the Doctor and Jo Grant in "Death of the Doctor".

Christmas Special 5 - A Christmas Carol (Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, and Arthur Darvill)
Doctor Who - Time and Space (Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, and Arthur Darvill)
Doctor Who - Season 6 (matt Smith, Karen Gillan, and Arthur Darvill)

"Shh! Eleventh!" Classic Doctor Who
There's a ton of material from the classic series, and naturally, varying opinions as to what to watch. Here are some tried-and-true classics for you.

William Hartnell as the First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs, The Time Meddler

Patrick Troughton as the Second Doctor: Tomb of the Cybermen, The Mind Robber, The War Games

Jon Pertwee as the Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Inferno, The Daemons

Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor: City of Death, The Talons of Weng-Chiang, Logopolis

Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Earthshock, The Caves of Androzani

Colin Baker as the Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks, The Two Doctors

Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor: The Curse of Fenric, Ghost Light, Survival

If you want Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor, you'll have to hunt down the movie, as that's all that he appeared in. (There are audio plays, etc., but that's the only time he played him "on film".)

Jacobkosh on

• Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    You all caught up now, Jake?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    WOOHOO THREAD REGENERATION!!

klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hope this regeneration gets over it's guilt from the tragedy of the Torchwood.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2011

Not yet, no. It's been nonstop home repair week at Casa de la Jacobkosh and part of me figures the longer I wait to watch Saturday's ep, the less annoying the cliffhanger wait will be.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hope this regeneration gets over it's guilt from the tragedy of the Torchwood.

Cocaine Hamster thread has it's own drawbacks.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A Good Man Goes to War cast list is up and boy is it weird already.
    Captain Avery and Toby returning? What?

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Not yet, no. It's been nonstop home repair week at Casa de la Jacobkosh and part of me figures the longer I wait to watch Saturday's ep, the less annoying the cliffhanger wait will be.

That's probably not a bad idea.

Jump in here when you catch up, I'd like to comb over the episode with you.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    New thread! Every time I read this thread I will listen to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I80pc9jZ_t8

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »
    A Good Man Goes to War cast list is up and boy is it weird already.
    Captain Avery and Toby returning? What?

A Good Man goes to war spoilers:
    Nice to see the Sontarans returning. I thought they were handled well in S4

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hm. I might have to take time off from the Who thread if spoilers for episode 7 are floating around, because I'd rather approach that one totally clean, aside from the NEXT TIME trailer (which I can never resist watching).

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i thought it was
    cybermen in a goodman goes to war, and some strange cloaked dudes

what is going onnn

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hm. I might have to take time off from the Who thread if spoilers for episode 7 are floating around, because I'd rather approach that one totally clean, aside from the NEXT TIME trailer (which I can never resist watching).

I agree! I don't mind the trailers, those are controlled spoilers.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't seen those for two-part episodes since Series 1. I thought they stopped doing them when people complained they gave too much away of the second part.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    they usually have them on after the credits instead to give you enough time to change the channel.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm not so sure a break from June to September is much better than a break from July to December, in regards to the series-splitting going on this year.

But I'll take it. Just like I waited through the almost one year wait for BSG.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well remember we're most likely also getting Sherlock in between that break so the way I see it most of the year is Moffat and Gatis.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i think it is, remember theres a full 6 episodes to go from september, that leaves one or two months for the special and then back to april again for next series, it spaces it all out nicely, plus torchwood in-between for those who care.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Well remember we're most likely also getting Sherlock in between that break so the way I see it most of the year is Moffat and Gatis.

is that actually a full series this time or are they going with the 3 feature length episodes again? not sure how i feel about that. :?

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    who's captain avery and toby?

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Nuzak wrote: »
    who's captain avery and toby?
    the pirates, arr.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

is that actually a full series this time or are they going with the 3 feature length episodes again? not sure how i feel about that. :?

3 feature length episodes
    A Scandal in Belgravia, The Hounds of Baskerville, The Reichenbach Fall -- which are presumably updated versions of A Scandal in Bohemia, The Hound of the Baskervilles, and The Final Problem

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

A Scandal in Belgravia, The Hounds of Baskerville, The Reichenbach Fall -- which are presumably updated versions of A Scandal in Bohemia, The Hound of the Baskervilles, and The Final Problem

Doesnt Holmes die in the Hound of the Baskervilles (the books, not the new series) ?

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I know those spoilers for A Good Man Goes to War probably aren't really that "spoilery", but I'm not clicking 'cause I'd like to go in with absolutely zero idea of what to expect.

But, oh geez it is so hard.

Igort on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    azith28 wrote: »

Doesnt Holmes die in the Hound of the Baskervilles (the books, not the new series) ?

Short answer: No

Longer answer: It was published while Holmes was supposed to be dead, but took place before The Final Problem (the story where he "dies")

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So thanks to iTunes I'm now caught and actually ahead of Saturday's episode (it is Rebel Flesh, right?)

Do we have 1 episode left after this week or 2?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nocren wrote: »
    So thanks to iTunes I'm now caught and actually ahead of Saturday's episode (it is Rebel Flesh, right?)

Do we have 1 episode left after this week or 2?

After this week's, there is only one left of this half.

Igort on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Last week's episode was Rebel Flesh. This week's is "The Almost People", and then there's one more after that before the break.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man those ep.7 spoilers confused me - I forgot there was supposed to be pt.II of the Rebel Flesh tomorrow.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    PhailPhail Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, that last trailer there has so many parts from the upcoming ep and the mid season finale, I almost regret watching it :(

Phail on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh, there's a new trailer?

21stCentury on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    wheres the new trailer?

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011

For all intents and purposes, that is a full series. 6 episodes is a full length series over there, and Sherlock is just 3 double-length episodes (ie: full series).

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    silverbuddysilverbuddy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tried to post this last night, I got hit with the server busies, but this interview has cemented my crush on Karen Gillan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWnSOZ83Qg4&feature=share

silverbuddy on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    Last week's episode was Rebel Flesh. This week's is "The Almost People", and then there's one more after that before the break.

are you watching it on a different channel?

BBCA isnt showing the second half until next week, june 4th.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    No break for the Englanders.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    PhailPhail Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nah, no new trailer. Just the last trailer in the first post. The 'Hello sweetie' one, it has so many clips from things we haven't seen yet.

Phail on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

yes there is.

edit: oh you mean bbca is skipping a week? thought you meant the big season split.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Well, that sucks.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, tomorrow we see if Graham can pull of those ambitious ideas.
    Hoping he can.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alright Mr. Smith. I just finished season 4 + The End of Time. Don't let me down!

projectmayhem on
This discussion has been closed.