As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You Got Your Parkour, in my FPS! [Brink]

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't really see the resemblance between the Ritchie and the Nerf Maverick.

you're kidding

#pipe on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    would someone please correct the comma error in the thread title already?

it burns us

MrMonroe on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    change it to

You Got You're Parkour in my FPS

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    #pipe wrote: »
    I don't really see the resemblance between the Ritchie and the Nerf Maverick.

you're kidding

No, I'm serious. The Ritchie is based on a real gun, it looks like a silhouette revolver. The Nerf Maverick has the cylinder out in front, and has the slide from a Colt 1911 between the hammer and cylinder.

DouglasDanger on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    lpEDj.jpg

you don't see the resemblace?

#pipe on
    edited May 2011
    edited May 2011
    honestly there's a lot of handguns, fictional and otherwise, that display that profile

the earliest one I can think of is the .223 from Fallout

MrMonroe on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    keep fucking that chicken doubters

Weaver on
    edited May 2011
    Those two guns are both pistols.

I was reading a new comic book-- Robotika: For a Few Rubles More, and one of the characters pulled a Nerf Maverick. I didn't know if I should smile or roll my eyes, so I did both.

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2011
    who else just received this:
    Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment have made arrangements with Debix to offer AllClear ID PLUS to eligible PlayStation®Network and Qriocity account holders in the United States who are concerned about identity theft.

AllClear ID PLUS is a premium identity protection service that uses advanced technology to deliver alerts to help protect you from identity theft. The service also provides identity theft insurance coverage and hands-on help from expert fraud investigators.

Sony has arranged, at no charge to eligible PlayStation®Network and Qriocity account holders, for twelve months of this service to be provided by Debix to those who choose to enroll. In order to be eligible, account holders must be residents of the United States with active accounts as of April 20, 2011.

If interested, please submit your email address by June 28, 2011, at 11:59:59 PM CST at: us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/identity-theft-protection.

Please note, you must enter the same email address used to register your PlayStation®Network or Qriocity account. Once your email address is validated, you will be sent your AllClear ID PLUS activation code.

this is a pretty slick way to make it up to their customers if you ask me

MrMonroe on
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sony be giving away cool shit because they really need to save face

more at 11

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited May 2011
    yeah but the free shit they're giving away is directly related to the problem they got hit with

they got fucked by a third party that wanted to steal people's identities and in return for the "inconvenience" they "caused" by refusing to bring back the PSN until they were sure it was secure, and now they're handing out free identity theft protection to the people that someone else endangered

I don't understand the hate for Sony over this; they got hit with a malicious attack and they did what they could to mitigate its effects. Now that everyone thinks that something someone else did is their fault, they're handing out free identity theft protection at a probable cost of millions of dollars.

I think that is pretty cool of them.

MrMonroe on
    edited May 2011
    I thought they weren't providing the legally required level of protection for the personal information they had

so in that case it wouldn't so much be "we got fucked up and you shouldn't have to suffer for it, here's some free stuff" as "we were negligent and it cost us, have some free stuff and try to forget about it"

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    yeah but the free shit they're giving away is directly related to the problem they got hit with

they got fucked by a third party that wanted to steal people's identities and in return for the "inconvenience" they "caused" by refusing to bring back the PSN until they were sure it was secure, and now they're handing out free identity theft protection to the people that someone else endangered

I don't understand the hate for Sony over this; they got hit with a malicious attack and they did what they could to mitigate its effects. Now that everyone thinks that something someone else did is their fault, they're handing out free identity theft protection at a probable cost of millions of dollars.

I think that is pretty cool of them.

they brought up the psn and were almost immediately hit again in a major way

fool me once etc...

PiptheFair on
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What they're offering is an excellent step in the right direction. It doesn't right any wrongs however, and it doesn't go far enough. So one year of protection, then when it lapses you're vulnerable again? Whoever got the customer data will likely hold onto it for at least that long.

Just glad I didn't put any of my info into the PSN.

ZeroFill on
    edited May 2011
    "negligent" is an extremely strong word for what they did

their protection was not airtight and something got through, as is almost inevitable for a service with such a large subscription base

big fucking deal

are we seriously putting the blame for a malicious attack on their services on Sony?

that sounds ridiculous to me

their late disclosure on whether credit cards were compromised was the worst thing they did, but they gave all their customers a heads up that it was possible and people who believed their card numbers were compromised had ample opportunity to correct the problem by simply changing them and notifying their banks of their exposure. (what I did) It cost customers fifteen minutes of extra trouble beyond the service being down, (like anyone would have wanted to use it while it was still a risk exposure) and they're being repaid with a year's worth of identity protection that would normally cost them a hell of a lot more than the money they've put into the PSN store. I mean, I've given them like twenty bucks through the store, pennies on the dollar of which they kept for themselves, and now they're handing me a service that normally costs $120/year

I don't care who you are, that is a

good

fucking

deal

props are due to Sony on this one

MrMonroe on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't think anyone's blaming Sony for the attack though, Monroe

I just think everybody's mad at Sony for how they handled it

Sweeney Tom on
  • DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think there might be too much information about the PSN Incursion now, apparently there’s something going on with SOE now, and there was a press conference or something. At this point, I already shredded the card; they can’t really get my goat, as the goat has been obliterated. Unless another shoe drops in the form of a comma delimited file full of plaintext credit cards or something, it may be over as a news concern. I want to give you a heads up, though, for the next round of Sony defense material which is typically indistinguishable from what they’d buy from a PR company.

- On the collapse of the Playstation Network:

“I’m a PS+ subscriber, and I don’t even care about this. I’m too busy enjoying the richness of this incredible, exclusive single player content.”

- On the revelation that the Playstation Network had been cracked open and the guts slurrrrrped out of it:

“What. The. Fuck.! Just move to a new city, cancel your credit cards, and then form new social bonds, beginning life anew in a faraway land!!! This is a gift.”

- On the discovery that the intrusion has resulted in the dissemination of an infectious Hrungnir neocyte:

“All you people who wont submit to the mindpulse are f’ing morons. It’s like one parasite and you guys are talking about it like it’s some big thing or like “oh i don’t want to be a subjugant.” FFS, you guys. Just quaff the fucking Dominus Flask. Yield to Her. Yield, and be whole.”

People aren't blaming Sony for being attacked. People are blaming Sony for having ridiculously sensitive information, like credit card numbers, unsecured, for blaming everyone but themselves, for remaining uncommunicative about the issue, and for being completely surprised that anyone would want to attack them.

DrDinosaur on
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MrMonroe is too busy enjoying the richness of this incredible, exclusive deal

ZeroFill on
    edited May 2011
    hey guys details about the patch and free dlc
    Today we’ve got some exciting news to share about two big Brink updates in the works.

First up, the statistics site will be going live next Tuesday for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 players. PC players can look forward to it going up very soon. This site, located at brinkthegame.com, will be your hub for in-depth stats, including data on matches, players and the overall progress in the weekly Battle for the Ark. Check out the screenshot above for a sneak peek and dig up that VIP code as you’ll need it to register once the stats page is live.

On top of that, the Agents of Change DLC is just on the horizon, slated for release in June. The pack will bring new maps, abilities, character customization options and weapon attachments to Brink, while also raising the level cap to 24. Here’s a full list of the DLC content:

New Maps
    Founders’ Tower – The revolution finally reaches the island’s iconic spire and takes the battle for the Ark to dizzying heights.
    Labs – Venture into the depths of the Ark’s original research and development laboratories, a submerged high-tech facility so far untouched by the civil war.

New Player Abilities
    UAV – This stealthy and lethal device allows Operatives to automatically mark nearby enemies on their radar. For more explosive fun, they can even take direct control of the UAV and detonate it near unsuspecting foes.
    Napalm Grenade – Soldiers can use this new grenade to cover an area in a sea of deadly flames.
    Pyro Mine – Engineers can plant these mines and leave enemies in the epicenter of a massive napalm explosion.
    Field Regen Unit – Medics can deploy these units to increase the health regeneration of any nearby teammates.
    Tactical Scanner – This universal ability allows players to reveal the active buffs of their opponents, allowing them to pick off enemies more strategically.

New Weapon Attachments
    Bayonets – Gain the edge in melee combat and cause extra damage with these deadly blades.
    Weapon Shields – Take cover from enemy fire and prevent headshot bonus damage behind riot-style shields.

New Character Outfits
    The Sad Punk – Add a touch of Steampunk to your Resistance character.
    The Limey – Bring order to the Ark with this outfit inspired by traditional European police.

In addition to these updates, we’re happy to let you know that the updates we described last week will be available for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 this weekend.

The UAV thing is worrisome, I can see problems with it being used in ways SD hasn't planned.

It will be hard for the new outfits to top the one already in the game. Each faction has so many good choices. Good good, and goofy good both. Trashed skinny jeans for the Resistance and Han Solo pants for Sec are two examples.

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2011
    they did not handle it phenomenally

but I'm unsure of what people wanted them to do differently aside from notifying people earlier and more fully, which I think is the big problem they are now compensating for

but it is an incredibly rich, incredible, exclusive deal and I don't see how people actually think they've been short changed

your free service went out for a few weeks because continued operation would have been dangerous to your privacy and your account, and now people are still pissed when they offer another free service that obviates the danger posed by someone else's malicious attack on their services

that is just insane to me

yes, they could have implemented more secure procedures that might or might not have prevented this breach

no, they could not do anything to solve this problem in a way that would protect their customers in a better way

I think they deserve props for that.

MrMonroe on
    edited May 2011
    had this happened with the XLive service, Microsoft would have done the exact same thing plus reimbursing their customers for the period during which they couldn't access the network, which Sony doesn't need to do because the PSN is a free fucking service

MrMonroe on
    edited May 2011
    we should all post our favorite characters

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2011
    napalm mines

bayonets
    I am pleased

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited May 2011
    Tactical scanner would be neat for operatives. It would be a good information thing to distinguish operatives from everyone else. Ah well, I guess we will wait and see.

The Carb-9 currently has more power when suppressed than the other SMGs do unsuppressed!

DouglasDanger on
  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The UAV thing is interesting, because I swear I've heard some of the bots yell something about a Micro UAV being spotted. Nice to see that it'll actually be in the game now.

Skullo on
    edited May 2011
    I wonder if Tactical Scanner will show buffs on disguised operatives.

DrDinosaur on
    edited May 2011
    I am terrible with the Ritchie, even if I put a muzzle brake on it. I'm awful with the shotgun too. :(

I see very few reasons to play as a medium. SMGs are better than assault rifles in most situations on most maps. The under-slung grenade launcher is fun, but it isn't necessary. The only thing I really miss is the Lobster. I can do some serious damage with that thing.

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2011
    I think I found something. If you select the Lost jacket, and then select the green sort of digi-camo, turn your guy around and look at his back. There is sort of a tri-force shape on the lower back, and a skull up near the neck. It is kind of an ink blot is it or isn't sort of thing.

DouglasDanger on
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I just got this on the Sexbawks, any of you homps still playing?

I'm almost completely confused as to what is happening around me at all times, and wtf the goal of the game is.

LTM on
    edited June 2011
    not to drag up an old argument but
    had this happened with the XLive service, Microsoft would have done the exact same thing plus reimbursing their customers for the period during which they couldn't access the network, which Sony doesn't need to do because the PSN is a free fucking service
    yes, they could have implemented more secure procedures that might or might not have prevented this [huge] breach

this is basically a big thing that people are mad about yes

also yeah I haven't traded this in just yet

gonna wait to see if the dlc is good

also also man there is an objective wheel right there

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I know I keep linking these videos but this does a good job of explaining why people are so mad at sony right now

and in more on-topic news I kind of stopped playing this game a few weeks ago though I'll probably give it another shot when the DLC drops

it's just frustrating how little time I actually spent on my feet compared to lying down or waiting to respawn

I know someone's just going to respond to this with something like "suck less" but seriously there is almost no survivability to the players in this game

someone in a tf2 server asked me to describe brink to them the other day and the best answer I could come up with was "the last point of dustbowl, except all the time, forever"

TheySlashThem on
    edited June 2011
    Since you clearly seek to obtain immortality, may I suggest the medic class?

DrDinosaur on
    edited June 2011
    It takes a while to acclimate yourself to the game. Soldiers die a lot. Hell, everyone dies a lot.

The important thing is to keep moving. And using either the Carb9 or the Kross, as of right now. A Light with a Carb9 or Kross with a drum mag and grip is basically a turret than can wall-jump. And throw grenades.

The Brink stats site is up.

Some of the stats are off, but things seem to be getting more in line. My accuracy is terrible!

Christ, DocDino, do not encourage a person to be an Onanist Medic, good grief! I've died so many times, so close to completing the objective. I just needed a shot of the good stuff, man! And the medic was off somewhere in a corner buffing himself.

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2011
    not to drag up an old argument but
    yes, they could have implemented more secure procedures that might or might not have prevented this [huge] breach

this is basically a big thing that people are mad about yes

people get hacked, it's not a res ipsa thing. The fact that they got hacked is not evidence that their security wasn't reasonable.
    also yeah I haven't traded this in just yet

gonna wait to see if the dlc is good

that is not a thing that makes me want to buy this

MrMonroe on
    edited June 2011
    no yeah it is for sure the fact that their security sucked and definitely was not reasonable

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Yeah, my main is a Heavy. It's a lot of fun hiding behind my turret, laying down artillery fire with my grenade launcher, and letting my turret finish em off. :D
    Hackboxes are getting a significant tweak across the board to help out attacking teams. We have drastically increased the time it takes Engineers to "de-hack", making it easier for the attackers to actually get the hack done.

In addition to the Hackbox change, we've got several other objective tweaks coming, as well. For starters, we're doubling the XP received for completing Primary Objectives in the game, so if you tackle one of them, your reward will be much greater from now on.

In addition, we've made the following map-specific adjustments:

Aquarium: Elevator generator construction time decreased
    Container City: Robot health increased
    Reactor: Terminal hack time slightly increased to balance new hacking mechanic
    Resort: Gate hack time slightly increased to balance new hacking mechanic
    Security Tower: Passcode return time increased
    Security Tower: Passcode transmit time decreased
    http://www.splashdamage.com/content/power-netvars-%E2%80%93-brink-gets-balance-tweaks?

great news

DouglasDanger on
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

You're assuming I meant after the game started. I still haven't figured out the main menu.

:P

LTM on
    edited June 2011
    LTM wrote: »

You're assuming I meant after the game started. I still haven't figured out the main menu.

:P

all kidding aside, i think the choices sort of make it hard to find anyone when playing the game. To start with, you have campaign or free play. Then you have co-op or vs. Then you have... five? different set-ups.

I "respecced" my main character to be soldier/operative instead of soldier/engineer.

The character customization so dang fun. So many fun pieces, each one has about 10 different color schemes.

I want to make a heavy white guy, have him wear the sweat pants with bottle sandals and the tank top, give him a mustache. Bam! Carl from ATHF. I don't have very much fun playing as a heavy though. It feels too much like any other shooter when you play as heavy.

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    storing cc info & passwords plaintext is probably not reasonable in 2011.

I agree. But neither of those pieces of data were stored in plaintext, so I don't see why that's relevant.
    no yeah it is for sure the fact that their security sucked and definitely was not reasonable

which you're just saying, with no evidence or examples to back it up

so it's nice to have your opinion, but I'm going to continue ignoring it unless you express it in some compelling way

I am not saying their security was perfect. It failed! But I'm also not obtuse enough to assume that failure=negligence on their part. If I'm shown something that actually indicates they were being negligent, then yeah, I'm disappointed in them beyond my disappointment with how slowly they went public with the knowledge that they'd been attacked. On the other hand, they just offered me a year's free identity protection that pretty much obviates concerns I have about my personal information and then they threw a couple free games my way. That is a pretty reasonable reaction if you ask me.

MrMonroe on