As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

An animated movie from long ago...

Indie WinterIndie Winter die KräheRudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi. I need help finding out which animated movie is this. I'll try my best to describe it as accurately as possible.

This movie has the around the same style as The Hunchback of Notre Dame movie (animated of course). I saw it a while ago, could be as much as 10 years ago. I remember bits and pieces from the movie and hopefully that will help. Description:

The story happens Medieval times (or something along those lines) in a town. It starts off with a look at a past event. A jester (or a robber disguised as jester) is running from a mob. What the jester did, and this is probably revealed later in the movie, is that he stole a pouch of gold from a king or lord. Anyway, the jester and the mob stops on a bridge. The jester takes out an instrument that has a crank (I don't know if links to deviantart are allowed, but if they are, I believe the instrument looks like what the guy in this drawing is holding: http://zubby.deviantart.com/art/Zork-Organ-Grinder-131221038 ). Suddenly, the mob starts dancing uncontrollably. After that, something terrible happens (like the bridge breaks down or something) and both the mob and the jester die (I think we only see them plunging to their deaths, the king/lord was part of the mob too I think). Several years past and we come to the current timeline. I only remember parts of the movie after that. The main protagonist of the story is, I believe, a young man. Another important character is his father or grandfather (most likely the latter, he looked old) who is a clockmaker (really not sure about that one) or repairs something like that. One important thing about him is that he has this huge instrument or machine (I'm incline to think it's an organ, but I don't remember him playing on a keyboard of any sort, plus as you'll see, it has a huge crank). When he starts playing the instrument/machine, the ghost of the people who died on the bridge appear on the new bridge (at first, they're all identical as they are all wearing black cloaks). Later in the movie, the grandfather/father finds a huge crank on the instrument. I clearly remember him making a strenuous effort to turn the big crank (with both hands) at some point in the movie. When he plays it with the big crank, the ghosts on the bridge become even more real. You can distinguish each one of them dancing and singing. Also, at some point, the pouch of gold comes out of the instrument and the grandfather uses it to pay a tax collector or a debt of his. I think the guy that takes the money comes several times to him demanding the money in the movie.

Well, that's pretty much it. There may be some inaccuracies though, I saw this a while ago when I was a kid. Any help with this would be much appreciated

wY6K6Jb.gif
Indie Winter on

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That sounds an awful lot like a story based on the Pied Piper of Hamelin.

Could it be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UieeA2m_rms ?

Aldo on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A few minutes with google led me to an animated short film called "The Organ Grinder" from 2004, but I can't find any info at all about it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407091/

HadjiQuest on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    thanks for the suggestions Hadji, but it wasn't stop motion, it was classic 2D animation, and it was definitely earlier than 2004, more like late to mid 90's.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • sYnistersYnister Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    sYnister on
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Doubt that's it, he says it looked a lot like The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Fits in other respect though.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • m1styang3lm1styang3l Registered User new member
    Hi. I am also looking for the cartoon you described. A friend of mine told me it was "Magic organ" but I can't find it anywhere by that name. Cand you please tell me if you found out what it is called?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Was it US or foreign?

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    foreign, I believe. I want to say french, but I'm not sure why.

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Sur le Pont D'Avignon

plot sounds right, but I can't find clips anywhere. seems to be part of a series of 30-minute films about the "real story" behind various songs.

PNk1Ml4.png
    thanks for the answer, unfortunately the link doesn't seem to be working

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Danielle1987Danielle1987 Registered User new member
    It's called The Real Story of Sur Le Pont De'Avignon

• jdlaffittejdlaffitte Registered User new member
    I don’t believe it’s “The Real Story Le Pont De’Avignin”. I also remember this cartoon. I even remember the song.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I can't find so much as a scene from that movie anywhere. The Thief and the Cobbler (and followups) seem to almost fit but the animation style is nothing like Hunchback.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    yeah, I scoured the interwebs but it's gone

it's got to be that one though

• coffeehypecoffeehype Registered User new member
    I found a copy of this online. Thankfully some legend uploaded it!

Someone called "Prismillion" on YouTube has uploaded it. The title is "Prawdziwy Koniec Balu Na Moście w Avignonie / The Real Story of Sur le Pont d'Avignon: part 1"

I can't send the link as it is blocked by the forum.

youtu.be/l8v-88_DCuU

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2020
    Plugging some stuff into youtube (and without clicking into the videos) the account seems to be "Prismillon" and has two subscribers, and only the two videos. The forum doesn't block youtube links though!

According the the descriptions of the videos they're dubbed into Polish.

ceres on
    Sooooooo I'm watching this and it is a weird ass video. I don't speak the language dubbed over it and have no idea what it's saying, but it does seem to have the scene from the OP at the beginning. The dubbing appears to be narration, but who knows! According to the credits at the end it is from 1992.

It does not look like The Hunchback of Notre Dame, but it wouldn't be the first time someone remembered a cartoon looking a whole lot better than it did when they were a kid.

@Indie Winter if you get around to checking this out please let us know!

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Wow, a thread that has been legitimately necro'd not once but twice. how rare is this, mythic? Unicorn? open parking spot right in front of the store?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Actually, the "please God help me remember this obscure thing from my childhood it's driving me crazy and I can't find it anywhere" threads are pretty much the only threads that are legitimately necro'd. This is because chances are if you've searched the internet high and low for some rare forgotten clip of media and landed here to ask about it, someone thinking the same thing will, down the road, find the thread in their own search for it and think "maybe they ended up finding it, it's worth a shot..."

...And sometimes if they've spent the day following the rabbit hole and find the answer, they'll take a moment to post in the threads that came up in their search that they've found it, which is what I assume happened here. ;)

I had this kind of thing happen when I made the thread for my years-long search for a song that turned out to be by The goddamned Doors.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Sooooooo I'm watching this and it is a weird ass video. I don't speak the language dubbed over it and have no idea what it's saying, but it does seem to have the scene from the OP at the beginning. The dubbing appears to be narration, but who knows! According to the credits at the end it is from 1992.

I also don't speak the language and haven't watched the video. But since I'm in a neighbouring country, I know something about Polish dubbing: They often used the style were one person just speaks all the text over the movie. Not even trying to convey emotion but just matter-of-factly reading the script. So it doesn't have to be narration, there can be dialogue or whatever and it would all sound the same.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Actually, the "please God help me remember this obscure thing from my childhood it's driving me crazy and I can't find it anywhere" threads are pretty much the only threads that are legitimately necro'd. This is because chances are if you've searched the internet high and low for some rare forgotten clip of media and landed here to ask about it, someone thinking the same thing will, down the road, find the thread in their own search for it and think "maybe they ended up finding it, it's worth a shot..."

...And sometimes if they've spent the day following the rabbit hole and find the answer, they'll take a moment to post in the threads that came up in their search that they've found it, which is what I assume happened here. ;)

I had this kind of thing happen when I made the thread for my years-long search for a song that turned out to be by The goddamned Doors.
    wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

The elusive feeling of closure is addictive, even if it's by proxy.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular

To be fair you messed the lyrics up something fierce!

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    bwanie wrote: »

To be fair you messed the lyrics up something fierce!

I was so far off I thought Sarah McLachlan covered it. Except the cover wasn't by Sarah McLachlan, it was by Everything But The Girl, and it wasn't actually a cover but an original composition, and not even remotely related to the actual song I was trying to remember, which turned out to be "Touch Me" by The Doors.

...Look, we've all been there. :P

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

The elusive feeling of closure is addictive, even if it's by proxy.

I've searched the internet for coding questions and found the answer posted by ... myself. Thanks, past me!