As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 6/1/11: "I will shoot your toy weapon."

MunchMunch Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Graphic Violence
Secret Six #34; the team recovers from their trip to Hell, Liana's girlfriend's back and you're gonna be sorry, and Bane goes to a carnival.

This is one of those great "cool down" issues, where the bulk of the issue is just about giving all the characters a breather, in between adventures. It's the kind of thing that used to seem more prevalent in comics, but has fallen by the wayside, as comics have become more event-driven. I have the usual complaints about Jim Calafiore's art, and Simone's writing is a little too cloying at times, but this is still one of the best books DC publishes. There's a very fun, visceral formula to this series, that's one part bad people getting murdered in terrible ways, and one part deranged characters saying funny things.
78Ija.jpg

Hulk #34: Planet Red Hulk; the Red Hulk finds himself on an alien planet, and does in one issue, what the Incredible Hulk needed the better part of a year to accomplish.

I was initially pretty skeptical of this storyline, just because it seemed a bit trite to do another Planet Hulk story, so soon. But Jeff Parker's really going to super-compress this storyline, based on this issue. Which will hopefully leave him more time to do some interesting stuff, and make this more than a rehash of another story. Also, it's kind of awesome that Planet Hulk artist Carlos Pagulayan, is also drawing this story.

I'm not following this series month-to-month, but if anyone's been curious about it, pick this one up. It makes for a good jumping-on point.
jZ4KO.jpg

Thunderbolts #158; the Juggernaut finds a big hammer, the Thunderbolts fight science-zombies, and the Raft suffers what must be its tenth breakout in the past four years.

I wasn't happy with some aspects of the last Thunderbolts issue, but this one felt like a return to form. Pretty much everyone but Boomerang gets a nice action moment, the dialogue's sharp, the art's fantastic, and it plants the seeds for what could be some fun future stories.
Z23RI.jpg

Haunt #16; Kurt Kilgore discovers there might be a reason for sticking around after dying, Daniel recovers from a head-wound, and Cobra and Mr. Hurg continue to be the most entertaining characters in the book.

This is an interesting series, in that it's basically Robert Kirkman and Todd McFarlane, making Robert Kirkman and Todd McFarlane fan-fiction. It's like they took a ton of prominent elements from their past stories, stirred it all together, and then threw in some genuinely entertaining villains. As always, Capullo's art is great. I imagine I'll stop reading this when Kirkman and Capullo leave the title, but this has really been a surprisingly entertaining book, ever since it launched.
yCpth.jpg

Herc #4; Hercules' day goes from bad to okay to worse, as he gains a faithful steed, suffers a humiliating injury, and then eats a dog. Being mortal ain't all it's cracked up to be. Also, Rob Liefeld is finally vindicated.

After issues #2-3 were so-so, I was close to dropping this title entirely. But, this one brought me back onboard, with some interesting developments, cool villains, and good humor. It's still weird to see Herc depicted in such a serious style, both in the art and the story, but I feel like this book's finally picking up some momentum. Honestly, this should have probably been the first story of the series.
VIEjx.jpg

YEfaG.jpg

Irredeemable #26; the Plutonian and friends continue their escape from an insane asylum buried in the heart of a star, Kaidan notes that nice guys finish last, and Scylla says the three little words that every girl longs to hear.

This is another series that I was close to giving up on, but has gotten more interesting with the recent arc, and the Plutonian's struggle to get out of the cosmic equivalent of Arkham Asylum. I still don't really care about any of the Earth-bound heroes, as Mark Waid hasn't really fleshed them out to a great degree, but giving the Plutonian some potential new threats and allies, has made for a neat story.
XGAuk.jpg

That is how you start your comic. Great first page, there.

X-Factor #220; Shatterstar and Rahne go for a stroll, get into a fight, and a character returns who I felt pretty sure was dead and gone for good.

This really just seemed like a showcase to have Rahne and Shatterstar talk at each other, but damn if it wasn't entertaining. Shatterstar's arguably the funniest character on the team right now, and Rahne the most dour, so it makes for a good dynamic. It does set up some stuff that honestly doesn't seem all that appealing, but Peter David has really earned my trust when it comes to this book, so I'll continue to read it, as I have since the relaunch. Unless Larry Stroman comes back, because fuck that art was bad.
LQbBJ.jpg

Munch on

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, just to ask

Is The Plutonian a bad guy?

Because it seems that while on Earth he was basically a massive bastard who murdered lots of people

But then I have seen scans of him in other situations which portray him as kind of the hero.

Is it one of those "bad guys becomes good guy" things?

Because I am interested in the series.

Solar on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, right after he murders that God-King, he skins a few of those litter-bearers alive, so he can make a costume from their skin.

So no, he's still a bastard. But, he's shown that, if he could, he'd undo all the evil shit he's done.

Also, Mark Waid has mentioned that the titular "Irredeemable" may not refer to the Plutonian, so it's possible he could achieve some measure of redemption, before all's said and done. But right now, he's certainly not on the path to heroism.

Munch on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Other way around Solar.

Plutonian was basically Superman. Then he had a nervous breakdown (the arc of the first book is explaining why that happened) and murdered the world.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited June 2011
    Waid's Incorruptible is set in the same world, and is about a Bad Guy going Good after watching Plutonian murder everybody.

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited June 2011
    Also, Munch - is that Carnie really about to tell his buddies to go beat up Bane?

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited June 2011
    Ringo wrote: »
    Also, Munch - is that Carnie really about to tell his buddies to go beat up Bane?
    Yup.

After Bane flashes that wad of cash, the carny and his buddies decide to mug him. It ends much as you'd expect.

Munch on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Who in their right mind would mug a guy that huge?

Without guns? They only have pipes!

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I love Bane.

There. I just had to say it.

Hello Waterface on
    Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What is that thing wearing a skinned teddy bear and carrying a huge ax in the Thunderbolts image?

DouglasDanger on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What is that thing wearing a skinned teddy bear and carrying a huge ax in the Thunderbolts image?

Guntha, aka Troll. Half-Asgardian, half-troll, she escaped from a prison with a couple of full-trolls when Asgard was destroyed. The Thunderbolts destroyed her trolls and captured her, and she's latched onto Songbird and wants to be a Thunderbolt.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I liked the appearance of the (Th)Underbolts at the Raft and Songbird taking charge.

But speaking of which, what the Hell kind of damn fool agrees to work at The Raft or any supervillain prison where escapes and mass-breakouts are commonplace. The life expectancy for those guards has got to be measured in months if they're lucky.

Crimsondude on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shocker's my boy.

Also, hazard pay?

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited June 2011
    ABK, man. Anyone But Karla.

Crimsondude on
    edited June 2011

This should be everyone's rule

(Tex signal, lit!)

But yeah hazard pay seems like it would draw some people

Plus I bet they only do it for six months or so, then go and do something else

It'd be pretty funny if the Raft Guard job was seen as the kind of posting that the chief gives to his worst guys, troublemakers and so on. That would explain the escape attempts, if nothing else!

Solar on
    edited June 2011
    Touché, spaceman.

Crimsondude on
    edited June 2011
    Solar wrote: »

This should be everyone's rule

(Tex signal, lit!)

Thought the same thing, in the same order after I stopped laughing.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited June 2011
    I liked the appearance of the (Th)Underbolts at the Raft and Songbird taking charge.

But speaking of which, what the Hell kind of damn fool agrees to work at The Raft or any supervillain prison where escapes and mass-breakouts are commonplace. The life expectancy for those guards has got to be measured in months if they're lucky.
    Well, the initial Heroic Age teaser for Thunderbolts laid out the Rat's new security protocols, which are pretty solid. The guards wear power armor built by Mach-V, their faces remain covered at all times so they can't be attacked or intimidated on the outside, and their shock/nanotech gear is keyed specifically to them, and can't be used by anyone else.

Unfortunately, that stuff doesn't count for much when a magic hammer suddenly crashes through the building, and the Juggernaut goes on a rampage.

Munch on
    edited June 2011
    Exactly.

The problem being is that shit like that happens all the g-d time.

Crimsondude on
    edited June 2011
    Let's just assume they're all life model decoys.

Munch on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Heroes for Hire #8, Satana saves the day (and Bill Rosemann was nice enough to provide a little editor box saying all this took place before TBolts #155):

img332.jpg

img333.jpg

Flashpoint #2, which, knowing what we now know, I wonder if they're going to mash Steve Trevor and Lois Lane together in this new world, as we also get Lois' beauty being magnified:

img334.jpg

img335.jpg

TexiKen on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Moon Knight 2 was pretty great and action filled.

Marc Spector is so crazy. He dresses up as Spider-Man, complete with fake web shooters, while wearing the Moon Knight suit underneath the Spidey suit.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2011
    Spider-Man is actually pretty funny there

also Paladin is so cool

Solar on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Marc Spector is so crazy. He dresses up as Spider-Man, complete with fake web shooters, while wearing the Moon Knight suit underneath the Spidey suit.

o_O

no, bad bendis

Antimatter on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »

o_O

no, bad bendis

Moon Knight has been pretty good for 2 issues. I don't see anything wrong with what Bendis and Maleev are doing. The scenes Blank is talking about was pretty damn good.

Looking forward to seeing more crazy, Echo, and Count Nefaria*.

*Unless that's Monocle. That would be wild.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

o_O

no, bad bendis

Well, as goofy as the double costume thing sounds, I think it's actually handled pretty well.

As someone knows only a little about Moonknight, I really am enjoying this series so far. But then again it's really also only issue #2 :P

I thought his version of webshooters were kinda cool. He had these small sticks of the end of a wire that shot out. (kind of like the probe on a taser gun?) He wasn't zipping around with them or anything.
    The webshooters were on these metal wrist band things which also had retractable stubby claws for his 'wolverine' persona.

At one point he's getting his ass kicked and Moonknight "sends in" wolverine, he pops the claws and just goes berzerk. Kinda awesome.
    Should I mention I also like the majority of Bendis' stuff?

Sharp101 on
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MOTW was the panel in Thunderbolts where
    Shocker stands alone against a horde of rampaging prisoners. Team or no, I love the heroic turn he's trying to make.

WeedLordVegeta on
    edited June 2011
    Hullis wrote: »
    MOTW was the panel in Thunderbolts where
    Shocker stands alone against a horde of rampaging prisoners. Team or no, I love the heroic turn he's trying to make.

As I said earlier, Shocker's my boy (I still love Shocker: Legit). I was trying to fit that awesome picture of him on the rocks into a new sig and avatar but failed miserably.

Thunderbolts has gone from great to my weekly favourite in these past weeks. And I'm glad Boomerang survived, he and shocker better get their buddy-cop on in the Underbolts.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited June 2011
    This one, Gank?
    img347-Copy.jpg

And a selection for this week's "no context needed," another two panels from Heroes for Hire:
    img340-Copy.jpg

TexiKen on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sharp101 wrote: »

o_O

no, bad bendis

Well, as goofy as the double costume thing sounds, I think it's actually handled pretty well.

As someone knows only a little about Moonknight, I really am enjoying this series so far. But then again it's really also only issue #2 :P

I thought his version of webshooters were kinda cool. He had these small sticks of the end of a wire that shot out. (kind of like the probe on a taser gun?) He wasn't zipping around with them or anything.
    The webshooters were on these metal wrist band things which also had retractable stubby claws for his 'wolverine' persona.

At one point he's getting his ass kicked and Moonknight "sends in" wolverine, he pops the claws and just goes berzerk. Kinda awesome.
    Should I mention I also like the majority of Bendis' stuff?

I liked it too, it's an interesting take on the character, and I already liked it better than Charlie Huston's version of the character.

Can anyone tell me who's the guy at the end though? It feels like it's suppose to be a reveal of some sort..

noir_blood on
    edited June 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    This one, Gank?
    img347-Copy.jpg

Yes, yes. Many thanks.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited June 2011
    How was nobody talked about how awesome it is that Hercules is now riding a supervillain?

Munch on
    edited June 2011
    Wait... thats the Griffin?

I now see that scene in a whole new light. What did Herc do to break him so bad he brings him meat as a supplicant?

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, that's this one?

n3a-1.jpg

TexiKen on
    edited June 2011
    I love how everyone is shocked it is the same Griffin

how many other red, white and yellow griffins do you know

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2011
    Gank wrote: »
    Wait... thats the Griffin?

I now see that scene in a whole new light. What did Herc do to break him so bad he brings him meat as a supplicant?
    Well, Herc chalks his devolution up to all the magic being flung around. But it could just as easily be that he reverted to a more bestial state as some kind of defense mechanism, after Herc shanked him in the chest with a sword, and then Ares worshipers riddled him with bullets. He's done similar stuff before, becoming more mindless and primal, when he was injured or strained.

As for why he's helping Herc, he saved Griffin from being killed by the son of Ares, so now he's following him around like a pet. Gonna be awkward when that guy gets his mind back.

PLxC3.jpg

Fucking. METAL.

Munch on
    edited June 2011
    FVL said Herc was getting a pet that issue

so I think dumbGriffin will be sticking around a while at least

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2011
    I love how everyone is shocked it is the same Griffin

how many other red, white and yellow griffins do you know

There's 5 different Caps, and 3 different Mysterios and Hobgoblins, this can be confusing!

But what I'm really seeing out of this is that Griffin is now a Pet Avenger?

TexiKen on
    edited June 2011
    FVL said Herc was getting a pet that issue

so I think dumbGriffin will be sticking around a while at least
    That may get awkward for Yo-Yo.

Munch on
    edited June 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Yeah, that's this one?

n3a-1.jpg

Ha, I actually own that issue! It was my first exposure to the Griffin too.

Yeah, I know it looked like the Griffin (Obviously), but I swear I had seen him recently in a fairly cognisant state, hence the confusion.

And yes, that is actually quite fucking metal.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    he was in Chaos War with his powers amplified

something about a human being reduced to an animal state physically and mentally freaks me out a lot

Antimatter on