As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come, Fire Walk with Me (Twin Peaks++)

GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for HumanityThe God Pod Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Social Entropy++
Ok Kiddos, gather round and I'll tell you a story about this town called
TwinPeaks_openingshotcredits.jpg

Put this on repeat while you are in this thread.

Contrary to popular belief, Twin Peaks was a TV show created by David Lynch and aired on ABC from 1990-91. If you don't know who David Lynch is then let me drop some truth bombs. Lynch is the guy that brought us stuff like this and this. Oh yeah, and this.

Plus, his hair looks like this:
davidlynchheadshot02299.jpg
All the time.

Twin Peaks is a fictional town in Washington state that has somehow been able to avoid the hustle and bustle of the early 90's. The town is full of colorful characters, the most important of which we will break down one by one, but no character is as intriguing as the titular setting. (Not talking about this... ) All through the story the town seems to grow and shrink as well as harbor secrets and mysteries that make you feel so close, yet so very far away from solving the central puzzle...
Who Killed Laura Palmer?

That brings us to our first important character:
laura-palmer.jpg?t=1248679776
Laura Palmer. She is dead. Don't worry, that isn't a Spoiler or anything. You find that out right away. Laura Palmer is Twin Peaks' favorite daughter. Homecoming Queen, charity volunteer, tutor to special needs students, fish food. You see, Laura Palmer was found washed up on the banks of the river naked and wrapped in plastic. Who would want to kill sweet, innocent Laura Palmer?...

That is what he would like to know:
trum.jpg
Sheriff Harry S. Truman. Yes, his name is awesome. Tru is the head lawman in Twin Peaks and he can handle pretty much anything that he comes across in his little berg. Drunk and disorderly. Domestic abuse. Reckless endangerment behind the wheel. Twin Peaks has a nice couple of cells you can cool your heels in, partner. But murder? Tru isn't exactly outfitted for that.

I mean just look at his backup:
Brennan-DeputyAndy.jpg
Deputy Andy Brennen. Seasoned veteran of the Twin Peaks Sheriffs Department... has a penchant for breaking in to tears at the scene of a crime... any crime.

250px-Hawk_001.jpg
Deputy Tommy "Hawk" Hill. Hawk is a Native American from the Blackfoot tribe. His skills consist of tracking... except for the fact he loses guys right off of the bat. I don't think that is actually part of his character development, but it always struck me as funny.

It is a good thing this guy shows up:
special-agent-dale-cooper-twin-peaks-kyle-maclachlan-7.jpg
Special Agent Dale Bartholomew Cooper. FBI. There is a lot to know about Dale Cooper. Part of the fun of the show is finding out about him and what he is doing in Twin Peaks. The thing to know right off of the bat though is he enjoys, above all else, a damn fine cup of coffee. Damn fine. Cooper is sent to Twin Peaks to investigate the murder of Laura Palmer when the M.O. matches that of the unsolved Theresa Banks case. He notates any and all of his findings to his assistant Diane via tape recorded message.

Special Agent Cooper meets with and interviews most of the important citizens of the town in connection with Laura Palmer in the days and hours leading up to her death. The citizenry include:

LelandPalmerFWWM.jpg
Leland Palmer. Laura's father played by Ray Wise. Leland and his wife Sarah aren't having an easy time since Laura died. They are both unstable... at best.

8q322qu0.jpg
Donna Hayward. Laura Palmer's bestie and most trusted confidant played by Lara Flynn Boyle.
She eventually falls in love with this guy:
Hurley-James.jpg
James Hurley. Bad boy. Biker. Laura Palmer's secret boyfriend.
Which isn't cool with this guy:
Briggs-Bobby.jpg
Bobby Briggs. Star Quarterback and also Laura Palmer's real boyfriend. He is and his friend Mike are both shitbags.
They are also in trouble with this guy:
peaks4.jpg
Leo Johnson. White trash, truck driving, drug dealing, wife beating scum bag. You will spend a lot of time hating Leo.
But not as much as you will hate:
Horne-Benjamin.jpg
Ben Horne. Nefarious owner of the Great Northern Hotel and the man who owns half the town of Twin Peaks.
His daughter is:
img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=11117475
Audry Horne. Played by a smoking hot Sherilyn Fenn. She is all bothered for Special Agent Dale Cooper (and who wouldn't be) but she is only 17. Poo.
Also:
the%20log%20lady.jpg
This lady walks around... carrying a log.

These aren't all the characters by any means and right up front it might not seem all that different from any other run of the mill "Who Done It?" procedural. That is until you get through the first few episodes and you experience Midgets talking backwards, evil spirits with owl faces, teenagers hopped up on coke and barking like dogs, silent curtain runners, alternate dimensions and Billy Zane. I don't want to give everything away in the OP so if you haven't seen this show yet it is streaming on Netflix. If you want we can watch (re-watch) this together and discuss.
¡ʞɔoɹ s,ʇǝן

GRMike on

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I think after Farscape, Amy and I may check this out on Netflix.

Or Babylon 5.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I love me some Twin Peaks.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What's in that mirror!!!

I have made love to this show many times over the years.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited June 2011
    I'd like to post videos and pictures but they will spoil the fun. Don't want to do that again.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    .daerht siht ni detseretni m'I

Furu on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited June 2011
    Twin peaks is unironically the best television drama ever made, and probably my second favorite tv show ever. Absolutely everyone should watch it. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Whippy on
    edited June 2011
    YQJvG.png

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I contend that
    Maddy's death
    in season 2 is the single most terrifying thing I have ever seen or will ever see on network television

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Fuck yes, log lady!

We just recently started watching this on Netflix. It's been so long since I've watched it, and Jess doesn't know anything about the show. We're just 3 episodes in so far and I think she's enjoying it, but she also can't help commenting on how weird the show is every so often. :P

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bale. I agree. I watched this show with my parents as a kid because I was at the age when I was demanding they let me stay up late. I can see now they were teaching me a lesson.

Dru- I am rewatching with Abby who hasn't seen it either. She started by stating that she dislikes Kyle Mclaughlin because he "creeps her out"... I had to tell her that this show isn't going to help her opinion... but you can't help but love Dale Cooper as a character.

GRMike on
  • simosimo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    twins peaks is my favorite show ever

the only frustrating thing is that there's a decent chunk of season two that is terrible, but you can't really skip it because it sets up the incredible finale

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I contend that
    Maddy's death
    in season 2 is the single most terrifying thing I have ever seen or will ever see on network television

It's excruciating to watch.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't know anything about this show other than people like it. So this is gonna be the last of me in this thread, since it'll probably get pretty spoilery very quickly.

I'll watch it eventually.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • PedantophilePedantophile Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I contend that
    Maddy's death
    And 2 episodes later is where everyone should stop watching. First season was only 8 eps, and I would've perfectly fine with the second only being 9.

Pedantophile on
    "Considering what your people did to my people during WWII I think a little kissing and breast fondling to be minor reparations, at best."
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fuck yes. Twin Peaks is fucking incredible.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm going to predict that Geek isn't going to care for this show. That's not a bad thing, there are plenty of people that don't care for it, I just don't think it's the sort of thing he'll dig.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    YES I LOVE Twin Peaks!

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

edited June 2011
    I don't get why people hate on Season 2. The whole show was fucking incredible.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If anything you need to watch it to fully appreciate the Dual Spires episode of Psych.

GRMike on
    edited June 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    I'm going to predict that Geek isn't going to care for this show. That's not a bad thing, there are plenty of people that don't care for it, I just don't think it's the sort of thing he'll dig.
    Yeah, I'm thinkin' the same thing. I'd love for him to love it, but it doesn't really seem like his bag. I could be wrong though.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited June 2011

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited June 2011
    Other images from this show that will forever haunt me:

Leeland's dance
    BOB climbing over the couch
    Cooper looking in the mirror

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2011
    Also, watching this show and then going camping out in the Cascades is eery as fuck.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited June 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »

So much this. Right here.

GRMike on
    edited June 2011
    Other images from this show that will forever haunt me:

Leeland's dance
    BOB climbing over the couch
    Cooper looking in the mirror
    that last one was the worst for me, mostly because my nerves were frayed already from everything else in that episode and that last scene just broke me

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
    edited June 2011
    My brother introduced me to Twin Peaks when it came out on Laserdisc.

The thing is that he didn't bother to tell me that the last episode was, in fact, the last episode. So, when we got to that scene and it ended I was all, "okay, cool... let's throw the next disc in. Wait... WHAT?!?!?"

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited June 2011
    Callius wrote: »
    My brother introduced me to Twin Peaks when it came out on Laserdisc.

The thing is that he didn't bother to tell me that the last episode was, in fact, the last episode. So, when we got to that scene and it ended I was all, "okay, cool... let's throw the next disc in. Wait... WHAT?!?!?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc&feature=related

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited June 2011
    also every shot of that damn ceiling fan made a shiver run up my spine

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Audrey Horne is my spirit animal.

Sara Lynn on
    edited June 2011
    I don't get why people hate on Season 2. The whole show was fucking incredible.
    The latter half of it was pretty silly though. Heather Graham was about the only redeeming thing IMO.

Pedantophile on
    "Considering what your people did to my people during WWII I think a little kissing and breast fondling to be minor reparations, at best."
    edited June 2011
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    Audrey Horne is my spirit animal.
    Mine too.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited June 2011
    The latter half of it was pretty silly though. Heather Graham was about the only redeeming thing IMO.
    Negative. It was pretty much awesome.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    lynch wrote a book on how to utilize meditative practices to get into the mindset he finds necessary to start writing

I cannot imagine a mental exercise I am less disposed to experiment with

watching his work is troubling enough

MrMonroe on
    edited June 2011
    Sherilyn Fenn is my future wife. I don't care how old she is when that happens.

I will destroy all other suitors and her current partner.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fenn still looks damn good too, like she's aging awesome. She was in the Twin Peaks episode of Psych and she was a babemonster.

I want to be her for Halloween, if I can get Annie to be Dale Cooper. Though I'm not sure how I'd be recognizable as her and not a time-period stereotype.

Sara Lynn on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not awesome enough to save it from getting canned

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fun fact: I own all of Twin Peaks, and yet have never watched an episode. I have seen, I believe, part of the movie.

I attribute this primarily to the fact that I don't like watching things alone, and nobody ever wants to watch Twin Peaks with me.

Straightzi on
    edited June 2011
    Negative. It was pretty much awesome.
    I think the explanation for a lot of the stuff was pretty silly, unneccessary and was much better as a mystery rather than the whole white/black lodge crap. And by the end of the whole series it seemed almost like an episode of Invitation to Love.

However, I DO like the last episode.

Pedantophile on
    edited June 2011
    Nah, all the stuff with BOB and the lodges was pretty cool

The drug running stuff and some of the other soapy bits in the middle of season 2 were pretty boring though

Also Windom Earle might have been the weirdest thing on the show and that is saying A LOT

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.