As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anyone interested in running Magical Mystery Tour this year?

VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in PAX Archive
As has been the case for the past couple of years, I can't get sufficient time off to run the Magical Mystery Tour, and Cookie Brigade & job obligations will likely keep me from being able to do much planning-wise.

The past couple of years, we've had some great volunteers keeping the Mystery Tour tradition going strong, and we need a new Fearless Leader for this year! (Last I heard, MetaverseNomad isn't going to be able to get time off to do the tour this year either)

If anyone has an interest in planning and running the Magical Mystery Tour to continue the tradition, please drop a message here!

Basically the responsibilities are as follows:

* Create a thread to figure out locations (or take suggestions) for what people want to go to

* Organize the chosen locations into a schedule for Wednesday and Thursday, taking into account some preferrable mode of transportation (using the bus system, carpooling, or even renting a bus of your own: we've tried all three over the years, and all had their own benefits and drawbacks)

* Create a list of participants, and collect their contact info in case it is needed (if someone gets lost etc)

* Be in town on Wednesday and Thursday in time to lead the tour itself: be prepared to lead a group of people who may not necessarily know anything about the Seattle area to the various destinations!

If this sounds interesting to you, state your intent to become our new Fearless Leader here! =)

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
VThornheart on

• Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wouldn't mind putting it together and keeping track of the people/time management while on the tour, but someone would need to be able to actually lead us from place to place.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I could take a look at the old thread, see where people went and what worked, what people liked. I know most of the touristy areas in Seattle as well as a few hidden gems. Not saying I'm your guy but I'll take a look at a few things.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was the leader last year, but that was the first time I had done it, Nomad had done it before that and I was just taking over in a pinch; I could run it again as a leader but I have no idea on the logistics of planning everything with spreadsheets and maps and all that stuff, Nomad had already taken care of that half of it by the time I joined on.

VT, or anyone else who was on the tour last year, what did you think of me as a tour leader, and would you want someone more experienced for next time? As I recall I was behind schedule a lot and wasn't the most organized in terms of getting from place to place. But like I said I'd be willing to run it if you need somebody again.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just my two cents, as a non-leader type:

Something that seems to work well is to compile a list of too many places and create a poll . This gets a majority viewpoint and also is a good way of finding out if something that costs a little more is wanted (usually not, lol.) I think all the places we went last year were interesting, except maybe the zoo. The aquarium, EMP and underground tour were faves. I don't know Seattle well enough to know any "hidden gems," but the list should include some, methinks.
    You can't please everybody of course. I didn't mind the walking last year but I know many did. I would think the logistics of how to reliably and easily get from place to place is the hardest part, and, alas, I have no ideas other than the obvious fact that if each day the sights are clustered in a small area this makes things easier.

basicallygeek on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Perhaps Helios and I can team up? I can do the planning, he can lead us from place to place.

I did do some of the MMT last Prime. My only complaint was that Helios was quiet. Often didn't know we were about to go somewhere or where we were going. But that's something I can help with too.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    punzie wrote: »
    Perhaps Helios and I can team up? I can do the planning, he can lead us from place to place.

I did do some of the MMT last Prime. My only complaint was that Helios was quiet. Often didn't know we were about to go somewhere or where we were going. But that's something I can help with too.

Not to steal Helios' thunder, but if a place to place leader is needed, I would like to volunteer for such a task I've got a very good knowledge of the city and have done the touristy things with many out of town friends before. Additionally as a veteran Enforcer, I'm very comfortable with crowds and interact with people very well. That said, as Helios has prior MMT experience, I would defer to him should he wish to take up that role.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    QuickSnap wrote: »

Not to steal Helios' thunder, but if a place to place leader is needed, I would like to volunteer for such a task I've got a very good knowledge of the city and have done the touristy things with many out of town friends before. Additionally as a veteran Enforcer, I'm very comfortable with crowds and interact with people very well. That said, as Helios has prior MMT experience, I would defer to him should he wish to take up that role.

Honestly QS if you feel like you can go a good job and want to take it up, be my guest. I just took over on a spur of the moment last time when Nomad asked for help and I'd hate to push seniority to the detriment of the tour experience.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So I guess if it's agreeable to everyone, I'll get to work on the organization of the tour. Any objections? Anyone else looking to do it? Anyone who went on this year's East tour have comments on my planning/leadership?

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    burnttoast45burnttoast45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm glad to see there's been some discussion on the MMT which has always been a solid community event.

MasterHelios, you did a great job last year. For my comfort and the experience of others, I would request that you continue as the lead (continuity++) with Punzie as the omega brain. I think this would be the best organization and use of our current resources.

QuickSnap I appreciate the offer as an ex-Enforcer, but at this time I think it would best with MasterHelios continuing the reigns of last years splendid event. If you know of any spots that are not listed and are convenient venues to the overall tour, please don't hesitate to share.

Once again I think you two (MasterHelios and Punzie) are well equipped and will continue to bring the Magic to the MMT ;).

burnttoast45 on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I surrender to the MasterPunzie Omega Brain! :P

Tour is gonna rock this year!!! :D

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So I guess if it's agreeable to everyone, I'll get to work on the organization of the tour. Any objections? Anyone else looking to do it? Anyone who went on this year's East tour have comments on my planning/leadership?

Well burnttoast has obviously expressed his opinion on the matter and as I said, I would defer to MasterHelios if he really wanted that role for himself. As Helios has given me his blessing, I'm more than happy to put together the MMT thread. In fact, I will state now with total clarity that I would like to take the regins of the MMT planning as it relates to locations, actavities, timeing, leading from place to place etc, if someone can help me out with the "spreadsheet" work.

I'm am more than confident, no, I'm positive, that we can make this year's MMT just as awesome and fun and sucessful as previous years. :D

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hmm... I agree with Toast, I think Helios did an absolutely fantastic job last year, and I can't wait to see him in action again this year! And having worked with Punzie in the Brigade, and with her masterfully running the MMT at PAX East, I know that her organizational skills are without compare. Given that, Helios and Punzie are going to champion the MMT this year. They're two vets, and will do great!

Thanks everyone for the input, and I appreciate the interest! Moe, if you're there, can you lock this thread? Punzie or Helios is going to start a new thread once they're ready for the MMT itself! Thanks everyone, and check back soon for more info!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
This discussion has been closed.