As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[L.A Noire] - Phelps, you didn't use spoiler tags! You're a loose cannon!

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is there a way to arrest these street crime guys? I always kill everybody.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There are a few different types of street crime. About 80% involve you shooting everyone. There are a few car chases followed by arresting the culprit, a few brawling strret crimes were you arrest the culpirt, a few foot chases were you arrest the guy and I've seen at least one that can be solved by a warning shot. Nearly all are just shooting everyone though.

Anyone know of a good vechile list/rough locations for this game? I'm currently at 86/95 and I've never seen a police van around, have a bunch of samey looking sports and 2 door cars left and a couple of service I just can't find.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just saw Zero Punctuation's review of LA Noire.

He points out the problems pretty well, but completely misses what Noire is all about. He also missed how the ratings are approval from your department and NOT an objective judgement about the quality of your work/accuracy of your charging.

Not his best since he seems to think that the inspiration and concepts taken from LA Confidential is some sort of bad thing.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I'm understanding that the PS3 exclusive case (Consul's Car) apparently requires a voucher that is only found in new copies of the US version of the game? So anybody that buys a non-US version or a used version doesn't get that case.

If that's the case, it seems fairly likely that it will be eventually released to everyone as a paid DLC. Though I wonder if that would include 360 users or not.

Lars on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

There's a reason why there was no prison overcrowding in the 1940s. ;p

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just finished and tend to agree with some of the other comments

t
    hat it feels a little rushed. Not Phelps dying per se, but it would have made more sense if he'd been swept away just as he got Kelso up - the deliberate (?) self-sacrifice didn't seem to fit well; what was the point? The funeral was fucking awesome though.

On flamethrowers:
    You don't have to pick it up in the room; you can instead pick up the carbine to the left of it, which is a much better weapon. The flamethrower is practically useless. Just stay away from the flamethrower.

On Phelps's backstory:
    I still don't understand his whole thing with Elsa because it was never sketched in. The most we get out of why Straight-Arrow Phelps cheats on his beloved wife and little kids is Elsa's comments to Fontaine. But before that it's, he hangs out at the Blue Note because Roy introduces him, then he's having an affair, what? We don't even know his wife's name until she throws him out, so we have no idea if they had a strained marriage, if he married her on furlough (there are a lot of references to this in the game for others - perhaps a hint?) and wasn't happy but stuck it out, whatever. For the first half of the game I was wondering if she was a war bride.

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    mythago wrote: »
    Just finished and tend to agree with some of the other comments

t
    hat it feels a little rushed. Not Phelps dying per se, but it would have made more sense if he'd been swept away just as he got Kelso up - the deliberate (?) self-sacrifice didn't seem to fit well; what was the point? The funeral was fucking awesome though.

On flamethrowers:
    You don't have to pick it up in the room; you can instead pick up the carbine to the left of it, which is a much better weapon. The flamethrower is practically useless. Just stay away from the flamethrower.

On Phelps's backstory:
    I still don't understand his whole thing with Elsa because it was never sketched in. The most we get out of why Straight-Arrow Phelps cheats on his beloved wife and little kids is Elsa's comments to Fontaine. But before that it's, he hangs out at the Blue Note because Roy introduces him, then he's having an affair, what? We don't even know his wife's name until she throws him out, so we have no idea if they had a strained marriage, if he married her on furlough (there are a lot of references to this in the game for others - perhaps a hint?) and wasn't happy but stuck it out, whatever. For the first half of the game I was wondering if she was a war bride.

hmm... Phelps:
    Earle kind of hints at it when he says everybody has something that catches their eye, and he does stare at her pretty hard? I dunno. What makes it weird for me is the argument they have during the vice case.

flamethrower:
    Another fun bit of that segment is if you pick it up, you can't seem to put it down until after you clear that section. found that out when the range wasn't enough and I couldn't pull the baddies. So I just started rushing everybody, but eh.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just downloaded the Rockstar Pass.

Do I need to activate this from the start screen somehow?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »

go to the marketplace in the game (press X from the main menu) and you should see all the content available.

the one thing though is you may have to restart the game after downloading it from the ingame marketplace. some of the stuff showed up as "Owned-Installed" right away, but the cases didn't for me even though I downloaded them.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

go to the marketplace in the game (press X from the main menu) and you should see all the content available.

the one thing though is you may have to restart the game after downloading it from the ingame marketplace. some of the stuff showed up as "Owned-Installed" right away, but the cases didn't for me even though I downloaded them.
    Ok, thanks.

I'll go do that after I finish this case.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How does the pass work for already downloaded dlc? Will it download naked city again or see its already there and get the other stuff?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Chrono PaladinChrono Paladin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    How does the pass work for already downloaded dlc? Will it download naked city again or see its already there and get the other stuff?

Once you have the pass, it unlocks the DLC as if you own it. You still have to go to the marketplace at the title menu to download the cases individually.

I didn't own any DLC previously, but likely it wouldn't make a difference

Chrono Paladin on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It'd probably just show up as "Owned-Installed", I would guess. The pass just gives you access to the content. If its something you don't have, you still have to download it, so it'd be like "Owned-Get Content" or w/e.

Also make sure you do it in the game. If you download the content through the normal marketplace you will buy the content. They also stress that.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The more I think about this, the more I realize that it's an absolutely brilliant move by Rockstar.

I basically realized that if you pre-ordered, no matter where it was, it makes the most sense to buy the pass. 3 cases will be $12, so even if you pre-ordered somewhere where you already got one of the 4 cases in the pass, it makes more sense to get the pass.

If you just got a suit for pre-ordering, now you get the cases at a discount.

If you didn't pre-order, you get everything for the same exact price that all of us who pre-ordered did (since buying the pass essentially negates your pre-order bonus, as you would have gotten it anyway).

Essentially Rockstar is getting $10 from everyone as opposed to a couple bucks here and there. They also issued a giant fuck you to pre-order bonuses. I love it.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

There's a reason why there was no prison overcrowding in the 1940s. ;p

Phelps is basically Judge Dredd. It's like, "Base, I need an ambulance here, suspects are all code four." "Good work Phelps, what happened?" "I think this one guy might have stolen someone's shoes. I shot him in the back of the head."

I also was working on one case, and had figured out that one suspect was innocent before I went to see him. So I guess the game wasn't interactive enough to know I had solved the mystery, because when I got to the guy it was a big thing and Phelps was all, "You're going to jail, you evil fucker!" and threw him in the paddy wagon. But Phelps knew the guy was innocent so I guess he's just a sadist.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

hmm... Phelps:
    Earle kind of hints at it when he says everybody has something that catches their eye, and he does stare at her pretty hard? I dunno. What makes it weird for me is the argument they have during the vice case.

True, but:
    it isn't really made clear why Phelps, who goes on and on about his wife and kids and is Mr. Tightly Wound, falls for Elsa. We don't even find out his wife's name or that his kids are daughters until he gets thrown out of the house. It's all "wait, suddenly Mr. Family Man is off banging a German lounge singer?" There's not really a sense until much later that Phelps finds something in Elsa that he isn't getting out of his family life - if we had a notion that his marriage was more out of duty, or that it was a 'furlough' marriage (this gets hinted at a lot) or that all his rigid insistence about how awesome his wife is, is more to convince himself than anyone else...it's kinda random. Especially since his later relationship with Elsa is portrayed as close and loving, rather than just "I can't help it, my dick pointed this way".

mythago on
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    qaqa13qaqa13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Uh, yeah, I bought the Rockstar Pass on the store and installed all the content. When I access the store in-game, it tells me no DLC is available. Consul's Car also does not show up in "Cases" under Traffic (I am currently in Vice).

Disappoint.

qaqa13 on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

hmm... Phelps:

True, but:
    it isn't really made clear why Phelps, who goes on and on about his wife and kids and is Mr. Tightly Wound, falls for Elsa. We don't even find out his wife's name or that his kids are daughters until he gets thrown out of the house. It's all "wait, suddenly Mr. Family Man is off banging a German lounge singer?" There's not really a sense until much later that Phelps finds something in Elsa that he isn't getting out of his family life - if we had a notion that his marriage was more out of duty, or that it was a 'furlough' marriage (this gets hinted at a lot) or that all his rigid insistence about how awesome his wife is, is more to convince himself than anyone else...it's kinda random. Especially since his later relationship with Elsa is portrayed as close and loving, rather than just "I can't help it, my dick pointed this way".
    It's so random, I actually thought it was supposed to be some sort of setup. I was expecting him to say something along the lines of "It's not what it looks like", "This is a misunderstanding", or something.

Nope, apparently he really did just walk in and bang her. Okie dokie then.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's so random, I actually thought it was supposed to be some sort of setup. I was expecting him to say something along the lines of "It's not what it looks like", "This is a misunderstanding", or something.

Yeah, exactly.
    You see him go to the apartment and hesitate before knocking, and then Roy sliming around outside, so okay, it LOOKS like he was going there for the first time, but everything was so random that if it later turned out "no, I wasn't sleeping with her, I was just a friend" it wouldn't have been totally unbelievable. Just a failure of writing.

mythago on
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Yeah, exactly.
    You see him go to the apartment and hesitate before knocking, and then Roy sliming around outside, so okay, it LOOKS like he was going there for the first time, but everything was so random that if it later turned out "no, I wasn't sleeping with her, I was just a friend" it wouldn't have been totally unbelievable. Just a failure of writing.
    And a real missed opportunity to put a lot more life into Phelps's character, a huge one.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been avoiding this thread like the plague until I finished it. Now that I'm done, here are a few thoughts:
    1) Jack Kelso was a much more sympathetic character than Phelps. Phelps always came off as a self-righteous prick. Kelso seems more like just a normal guy trying to do the right thing.

2) The Kelso bits were awesome. I wished I got to play more as him. At first when the character switch happened I was like "bwah?" but then I realized how much fun I was having.

3) The way the ending was presented felt like a rip-off to me. This was Phelps' case, and I felt like I should've been controlling him down in the sewers, not Kelso. Don't get me wrong, I loved playing as Kelso, but thise was not Kelso's story, and to see the end of the game through his eyes rather than Phelps just doesn't work for me.

4) I understand that Ira was extremely troubled and Kelso was putting him out of his misery, but why exactly did he kill him? Didn't he just finish saying that he needed Ira to make the case?

5) Disappointed I didn't get to put a bullet in Roy Earl, or watch him go down as a co-conspirator.

6) Disappointed I didn't get to bring down Mickey Cohen's organization.

7) Rusty is the best partner ever.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For a sequel

Kelso as a PI in Chicago/New York.
    Case evaluation are based on how well you fulfilled your employeer's requests.
    Each case should be completely logical and solvable in and of itself.
    Investigation should involve actual investgiation, not just being shuffled between destiantions. There should be multiple avenues of investigation to solve the case.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I've been avoiding this thread like the plague until I finished it. Now that I'm done, here are a few thoughts:
    1) Jack Kelso was a much more sympathetic character than Phelps. Phelps always came off as a self-righteous prick. Kelso seems more like just a normal guy trying to do the right thing.

2) The Kelso bits were awesome. I wished I got to play more as him. At first when the character switch happened I was like "bwah?" but then I realized how much fun I was having.

3) The way the ending was presented felt like a rip-off to me. This was Phelps' case, and I felt like I should've been controlling him down in the sewers, not Kelso. Don't get me wrong, I loved playing as Kelso, but thise was not Kelso's story, and to see the end of the game through his eyes rather than Phelps just doesn't work for me.

4) I understand that Ira was extremely troubled and Kelso was putting him out of his misery, but why exactly did he kill him? Didn't he just finish saying that he needed Ira to make the case?

5) Disappointed I didn't get to put a bullet in Roy Earl, or watch him go down as a co-conspirator.

6) Disappointed I didn't get to bring down Mickey Cohen's organization.

7) Rusty is the best partner ever.
    1) Agreed. Phelps is trying to hard to be the good guy. I like him for trying once you understand his background. Kelso is real. He is also more emotionally developed. He knows right and wrong, the same as Phelps, but he also knows the practicality of it all.

2)Same again. It was jarring, especially when they would bounce back and forth. I love the new slant. Investigator for the DA? Awesome. They could have a whole desk on him trying to clean up the city with the DA.

3)I was hoping that I'd get to play Phelps as well as Kelso, maybe see eachother cross paths or something. Maybe get a bit of a reveal on something or a flashback. I knew Phelps would die since it was shaping up to be a real Noire story. I was hoping they'd give a little more on him before he met his fate.

4)Phelps needed Ira for the case. It was the only way this all would be straightened out. To do so, Ira would be put on the stand and to do so would be using him the same as Phelps used him during the war.
    Kelso decided that enough is enough. Ira had been through hell and just wanted it to end. Kelso knew he lost the case with it, but he'd rather do that than put that poor soul through anything more. Phelps seems to agree in part since he turns and runs with Elsa.

5 and 6) Cohen is a real guy and he died in the 1970s. You can't kill him, but itd been nice to hurt his organization. Unfortunately, this is Noire. The good guys don't win (at least fully). Its like real life. You thank the stars for the partial victory and move on as best you can. Roy Earle is a total bastard and deserves to burn same as all those other guys on stage at Phelps funeral. Maybe an addon will let you, but a true Noire story ends with lots of bad guys and bastards getting away.

7)Dude yes.
    Sorry for the book length post.

This game was really good. Rockstar and their partners seem to be master developers.

Also, a sequel could be in Las Vegas. Bugsey Siegel (a friend of and idol of Mickey Cohem) started it up. There was some drama about all of it to in the late 40s and into the 50s. Also Siegel was gunned down there in 1947. It could take place at the same time as this stuff. Could be fun. Hell, Cohen's mansion was blown up and he also tried to hunt down the assassin's of Siegel himself.

Man, that whole time frame is full of awesome stuff to tap into. Use the historical stuff to set the stage, then take it into back allies or the streets. It'd be awesome!

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Domhnall wrote: »
    There are a few different types of street crime. About 80% involve you shooting everyone. There are a few car chases followed by arresting the culprit, a few brawling strret crimes were you arrest the culpirt, a few foot chases were you arrest the guy and I've seen at least one that can be solved by a warning shot. Nearly all are just shooting everyone though.

Anyone know of a good vechile list/rough locations for this game? I'm currently at 86/95 and I've never seen a police van around, have a bunch of samey looking sports and 2 door cars left and a couple of service I just can't find.

Doesn't a police van show up next to one of the crime scenes?

All those 1940s cars start running together in my mind. Tough to tell if I've already gotten a particular one.

Dr. Worm on
  • Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For the Menace to Society achievement do you actually need to finish the case or will the achievement come up once you hit the $47,000 of damage?

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • Options
    FarleymanFarleyman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    On the subject of Phelps'... behaviour:
    I was of the opinion that we don't really see much about his marriage falling apart because it didn't. Instead, Phelps went to Elsa's apartment to talk, because he felt she could understand what he went through in the war, and had worked out he really needed to talk about it. Then it just kinda happened that they ended up together.

Sure, it sounds a bit silly, but we don't really know what the cutscenes in the club are about. Phelps could of just really liked her performance for all we know. Until (if) we get the stuff that had to be cut, we have no real way of knowing. Annoying? Yes, but hardly the worst crime of the game. The somewhat slap-dash ending is more of an issue, I think.

Farleyman on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    People are neglecting the best part about (late game leaving Vice)
    about the whole affair.

THe game has you following her back to her house for a late-night visit. You drive it thinking that it is for the case, to get a little deeper, but you discover that Phelps is doing it to have sex with her (probably not the first based on later dialogue). Most people that believe in monogamy and know Phelps is married, it is an uncomfortable realization.

That was some smart stuff. Even later, I almost felt like I was justifying him when really, there is no excuse.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Replaying the last vice case, you can really see the conflict on Phelps' face.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's really hard seeing the stuff Phelps sees.

Comparing him to a character in The Wire:
    He's very Jimmy McNulty in that the cases and secrets he knows are wearing him down and he needs an escape. What he said to his wife hinted at that.

Now on to Arson!

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Machismo wrote: »
    People are neglecting the best part about (late game leaving Vice)
    about the whole affair.

THe game has you following her back to her house for a late-night visit. You drive it thinking that it is for the case, to get a little deeper, but you discover that Phelps is doing it to have sex with her (probably not the first based on later dialogue). Most people that believe in monogamy and know Phelps is married, it is an uncomfortable realization.

That was some smart stuff. Even later, I almost felt like I was justifying him when really, there is no excuse.
    I dunno, I pretty much turned on him immediately. "Oh great, he's not only a humorless jerk, he's cheating on his wife too."

When it first happened, like you say, I assumed it was something about the case, and would just be misconstrued and used against him. But... nope! He just straight up has an affair out of nowhere. And NO the few visits to see her sing are not enough to establish that he's about to sleep with her. And it isn't even really explained or explored after the fact either. It felt to me like an excuse for him to have a fall from grace so they could set up the ending.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, why does everyone hate Phelps so much

He's a bit of a straight arrow, sure, but to claim he doesn't have a sense of humor is crazy

But I guess most people never got the car dialogues since they skipped all the driving

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just fucked up my first case. I have been a four star detective right across the board up until the Golden Butterfly where I get one star - "Unbecoming" and I have no fucking idea how it happened.

Did anyone else have a problem with this case?
    I charged the guy from Heroes with the murder of his wife. The tire iron was from his car ..... but apparently that's not good enough. Fuck.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »

He's a bit of a straight arrow, sure, but to claim he doesn't have a sense of humor is crazy

But I guess most people never got the car dialogues since they skipped all the driving

You still get the car dialogue if your partner drives. The dialogue plays just the same and then the remainder of the drive is skipped.

But yeah, Phelps is no comedian, but he certainly has a darker, drier wit about him.

Slortex on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I thought that both
    the fall and the death/redemption scene
    were very well done.

Then again, I like Noire.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Slortex wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

You still get the car dialogue if your partner drives. The dialogue plays just the same and then the remainder of the drive is skipped.

But yeah, Phelps is no comedian, but he certainly has a darker, drier wit about him.

Yeah, I was about to say. My first concern with skipping was skipping the dialogue too, but it doesn't skip forward until after Phelps and friends dispense their lines.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just fucked up my first case. I have been a four star detective right across the board up until the Golden Butterfly where I get one star - "Unbecoming" and I have no fucking idea how it happened.

Did anyone else have a problem with this case?
    I charged the guy from Heroes with the murder of his wife. The tire iron was from his car ..... but apparently that's not good enough. Fuck.

I don't remember the correct solution to that case, but the good news for you is that you can replay any case from the main menu and try again.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I thought that both
    were very well done.

Enough to add an "e" to the end.

I'm getting tired of people insinuating that if you don't like the overarching story or the ending, you just don't like film noir. Some critical parts of the story were mishandled, and it's not because of the ultimate outcomes, it's how they reach those outcomes that is infuriating.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I thought that both
    were very well done.

Enough to add an "e" to the end.

I'm getting tired of people insinuating that if you don't like the overarching story or the ending, you just don't like film noir. Some critical parts of the story were mishandled, and it's not because of the ultimate outcomes, it's how they reach those outcomes that is infuriating.
    I'm not insinuating anything. And while I felt that parts of the story were weak, I felt that neither the
    affair nor the death/funeral
    were in fact those parts. Could they have done more to set them up? Sure. But there's only so much disk space to go around.

If anything I kind of felt like the
    end of Vice was telegraphed. So much so that I expected a twist to flesh it out more, but that never came. Or a twist followed by a second twist that led back to the story we got.

If anything I think they should have spent just a little more time on
    Phelps family life
    so that the developments had more weight.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lots of people dislike lots of stories. There's a whole community of fanfic authors out there for a reason.

You'll have to pass a pretty high bar if you want to successfully argue that the plot of the game -- the sequence of events -- was objectively bad. That's more than just having an opinion -- that's persuasively arguing your opinion in an attempt to influence others. That's harder to do and requires more effort.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    mspencer wrote: »
    Lots of people dislike lots of stories. There's a whole community of fanfic authors out there for a reason.

You'll have to pass a pretty high bar if you want to successfully argue that the plot of the game -- the sequence of events -- was objectively bad. That's more than just having an opinion -- that's persuasively arguing your opinion in an attempt to influence others. That's harder to do and requires more effort.

I'd argue there's a fanfic community out there because people like stories (and erotica derived from them), but... yes. I dislike L.A. Noire's story, but I'm not trying to argue it's objectively bad, just that my dislike has nothing to do with it's genre.

edit: And Zed, I didn't really mean to single you out. You were just the latest to mention "Well, I also like noir, so-". I'm sorry.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
This discussion has been closed.