As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

oh my god there's a movie based on a penny arcade thing coming out

1235»

• Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    hey gary whitta!

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gabe wrote:
    Being the new kid is hard, being the new kid in a school full of aliens is harder. Tycho mentioned that this one could be the biggest thing we ever do and I think he’s right. My fantasy is to see Dreamworks, Disney or Nickelodeon make an animated feature or a Saturday morning cartoon out of this one. Who knows maybe they will see it and give me a call!

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/10/29/new-kid-comic/

Darric on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Darric wrote: »
    Gabe wrote:
    Being the new kid is hard, being the new kid in a school full of aliens is harder. Tycho mentioned that this one could be the biggest thing we ever do and I think he’s right. My fantasy is to see Dreamworks, Disney or Nickelodeon make an animated feature or a Saturday morning cartoon out of this one. Who knows maybe they will see it and give me a call!

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/10/29/new-kid-comic/

Oh Gabe, you're a sly one.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    MVikingMViking Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    All the PA staff should have cameos. That would be awesome.

MViking on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mike and Jerry as janitors in the school would be a pretty funny cameo.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    if there are kris and scott aliens i will poop my little nerd pants

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    see317 wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »
    To be honest I'm surprised they acknowledged them for credits at all

"kid constantly moves and goes to new schools.... IN SPACE" doesn't really seem specific enough to be claimed as IP, unless there's a lot more ideas that they talked with the studio or something

Pretty sure that if you're listed as the creators in the press release, you'll probably be acknowledged in the credits

no I mean

why acknowledge them at all? Why not just take the concept and not say anything?

And miss out on the massive amount of free publicity that said association will generate?

It's not free.

So, when Gabe or Tycho puts a news post up announcing this project to their legion of fans across the world, reaching more people then just about any TV commercial could in a day or two, how much is that publicity going to cost Paramount?
    When G4 or some podcasts or bloggers beg for an interview G&T about their upcoming movie, how much is that going to cost Paramount?

Sure the studio had to pay out to use the property, as opposed to coming up with the idea of "New kid in school...In Space!" on their own, but in the long run the popularity of Penny-Arcade and their ability to leverage that popularity directly into marketing the movie on their own will quite likely return more value then however much they got in the first place.

Compare this with what would have happened if Paramount had come up with the idea on their own. It'd be treated like any other animated flick, with a plot that (if we're being honest) sounds like a steaming pile of cliche...in space. It would be ignored by most people.

But then, what the hell do I know? I'm a low level IT Phone biscuit posting in a forum. I could be way off. I don't know how this shit works. What I do know is that right now there are at least 2 threads on this forum alone about a movie that doesn't even have a script yet. That seems like a lot of discussion for a paragraph long announcement. And that discussion is occurring only because of the association with Penny Arcade.

see317 on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    To be honest I'm surprised they acknowledged them for credits at all

"kid constantly moves and goes to new schools.... IN SPACE" doesn't really seem specific enough to be claimed as IP, unless there's a lot more ideas that they talked with the studio or something

Pretty sure that if you're listed as the creators in the press release, you'll probably be acknowledged in the credits

no I mean

why acknowledge them at all? Why not just take the concept and not say anything?

And miss out on the massive amount of free publicity that said association will generate?

It's not free.

So, when Gabe or Tycho puts a news post up announcing this project to their legion of fans across the world, reaching more people then just about any TV commercial could in a day or two, how much is that publicity going to cost Paramount?
    When G4 or some podcasts or bloggers beg for an interview G&T about their upcoming movie, how much is that going to cost Paramount?

It costs whatever Paramount paid for the intellectual property, possibly in addition to other payments that might be in the contract.

Gee, that was a pretty simple answer

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    BigBear wrote: »
    I know it will never happen, but a Belruel movie would be pretty awesome as well.

Opening on the twelving day of Everfair.

Seriously, this is incredible news, even more surprised that it was initially created and pitched as such. Awesome!
    edit: so many hi5s to the PA crew

edit2: how much is Jerry involved in the writing?

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    gwhitta wrote: »
    Thanks for all the good wishes guys, it's a great start for this project to see all the positive reaction among the PA fan community! Nothing is certain in the movie business but hopefully there will be lots of cool updates to follow as this project progresses!

Twitter: @garywhitta

Although I confess I've never read PC Gamer, I always enjoy listening to the Tested Podcast when you're on!

Good luck with the film, the fact that you're writing it has certainly piqued my interest!

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    this is pretty great material for a family-friendly animation movie

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    RT @leah: More excited about my BF working w/@cwgabriel and @TychoBrahe on #newkid than I was about him working w/Denzel on Eli. Is that weird?

This is very cool and I look forward to seeing the result.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I explained to my father what penny arcade is and how incredible this is and he was amazed that G&T kept it together for 12....13 years?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PA:
    Launch date: November 18, 1998

Jerkcity:
    Launch date: 17 August 1998

L|ama on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    I think the original strip by itself would translate well to a teaser trailer.

been thinking the same thing

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Holy crap, this is the best news.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Now Jerry and Mike can finally gold plate Scott Kurtz!

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Better yet, dip him in cement.

They could place him on the lawn, or the roof, to ward away evil.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is big.
    Like, really big. So excited to see what'll come of it.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    IsaIsa Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Holy cow! That's so cool! I really hope Mike and Jerry are involved in the process all the way through, consulted on story and style and all that. If so it'll be pretty amazing I think.

Isa on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Best news I've heard in a while!

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.