As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: Time for a new thread

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
Hi! Welcome to the video game industry thread. Here we discuss things like sales figures, game development, studio closures, executive quotes, marketing and general business stuff. Also poop jokes.

E3's right around the corner. This should bring loads of industry news, but that likely won't slow down the inevitable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoCZ07hwoZ4

And now, May's information.

May NPD

360--270K
Wii--236K
PS3--177K
3DS--97K
Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms incl. PC) Rank Publisher
L.A. Noire (360, PS3) 1 Take 2 Interactive -- 899K
Brink (360, PS3, PC) 2 Bethesda Softworks -- 401K
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) 3 Disney Interactive Studios
Portal 2 (360, PS3, PC) 4 Electronic Arts
Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3, 360) 5 Warner Bros. Interactive -- 292K
Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC) 6 Activision Blizzard
Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, 360, PS3) 7 Majesco
NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, PC) 8 Take 2 Interactive
Just Dance 2 (Wii) 9 Ubisoft
Lego Star Ware III: The Clone Wars (Wii, NDS, 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) 10 Lucasarts

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nielsen's doing their Nielsen thing.
    A new Nielsen survey shows 27 percent of interviewed gamers would be interested in buying Nintendo's next console within 6 months of its release.

Similar proportions of those interviewed expressed interest in purchasing new consoles from Microsoft (25 percent) or Sony (24 percent) should they be released in the next two years.

The survey, conducted in the weeks before the upcoming E3 show, seems to suggest some potential interest in new hardware at this point in what many analysts are calling an extended hardware cycle.

Nielsen found only 18 percent of gamers were interested in purchasing a follow-up to the recently released Nintendo 3DS, and 13 percent were interested in Sony's code-named Next Generation Portable.

Interest in Nintendo's next console was relatively lower among gamers that own both a Wii and another major console, Nielsen pointed out. Among those that own a Wii and an Xbox 360, 46 percent expressed interest in buying the next Microsoft system, compared to only 37 percent who want Nintendo's next console.

For those who own a Wii and PS3, 44 percent are interested in a new Sony system compared to 40 percent want the Wii successor.

Nielsen's survey also found 47 percent of gamers expecting Nintendo's new console to launch in the next two years, as Nintendo has promised. A full 40 percent expect a new Microsoft console in that time frame, and 37 percent expect a new home system from Sony, despite no announced plans from either company.

A Nielsen analysis of pre-E3 chatter also shows high interest in information on Nintendo's next system, with 22 percent of over 131,000 tracked online messages about the show centering on the system. For context, only 4 percent of messages measured last year involved Microsoft's Kinect.

nielsen0603_1.jpg

[strike]Wow at interest in the 3DS so low.[/strike]

Wow at my inability to read.

cloudeagle on
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Video game industry sucks now.

DON'T READ THIS THREAD IF YOU DON'T LIKE ANGRY BIRDS.

dbrock270 on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wait, that's asking about interest in a successor to the 3DS, not the 3DS itself. At least that's how I'm reading it.

Why are they gauging interest in the successor of a console released 2 months ago?

Graviija on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Whelp, this oughta be short lived. >.>

But seriously, as much as I love all the info we get from and around E3, it's such a bittersweet period.

Here's all this awesome shit!

... you might get to buy it in the next 6 to 24 months.

Maybe.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    The 3DS has a launch lineup that rivals the DS in how underwhelming it is.

Not surprised at all. The DS was mostly tech demos until its first summer, where Meteos and Kirby generated interest, and Nintendogs/Mario Kart led to its terrible reign the following holiday season.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited June 2011
    E3 2011 will be the biggest disappointment ever.

Expect Kinect, a Wii HD and a bunch of mediocre shovelware.

dbrock270 on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Don't forget all the big 3DS titles they hyped LAST e3!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Graviija wrote: »
    Wait, that's asking about interest in a successor to the 3DS, not the 3DS itself. At least that's how I'm reading it.

Why are they gauging interest in the successor of a console released 2 months ago?

Is the chart old and just mislabeled?

Or is it the fairly common misconception that the 3DS is just a DS with a 3D screen rearing its head again?

Maddoc on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Am I the only one who continues to be baffled why Nielsen ratings or stats are actually relevant to anything in this day and age.

Cade on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How do they even afford to operate? Is somebody paying them to do all these surveys?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
    edited June 2011
    Well companies trust the Nielsen ratings.

Countless good television shows have been canceled because of them.

dbrock270 on
    edited June 2011
    dbrock270 wrote: »

DON'T READ THIS THREAD IF YOU HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOR.

Fixed. Geez, I can't even joke about that game without setting people off.

cloudeagle on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    More like Angry Nerds, amirite?
    It's taken me three industry threads to come up with something which has probably already been said five times.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like how it's a chart of whether or not people would buy something they have no information about. I mean, never mind that everything on the list basically suffers at the same general rate. There can't possibly be other factors involved.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Fixed. Geez, I can't even troll people daily about that game without setting people off.

Posting something about Angry Birds on a daily basis, preceeded by something like "OH SHIT EVERYBODY EVACUATE THREAD BECAUSE I'M ABOUT TO START A SHITSTORM" isn't a joke.

Jokes are funny, or meant to be. You're just trying to marginalize anyone that disagrees about it in some way revolutionizing the gaming industry.

Maddoc on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Trying to get all the cynicism out of your system in one page?

I know that is the cool and edgy thing to do, but I think there are a lot of genuine reasons to be excited for E3 this year. And if the rumors surrounding Cafe are true, it sounds like its a lot more then simply an HD Wii.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rehab wrote: »

I know that is the cool and edgy thing to do, but I think there are a lot of genuine reasons to be excited for E3 this year. And if the rumors surrounding Cafe are true, it sounds like its a lot more then simply an HD Wii.

What are the rumors? I've only really read about the potential controller screen and GTAV. Any info on what the online functionality is going to be like?

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Fixed. Geez, I can't even troll people daily about that game without setting people off.

Posting something about Angry Birds on a daily basis, preceeded by something like "OH SHIT EVERYBODY EVACUATE THREAD BECAUSE I'M ABOUT TO START A SHITSTORM" isn't a joke.

Jokes are funny, or meant to be. You're just trying to marginalize anyone that disagrees about it in some way revolutionizing the gaming industry.

Um, I didn't say any of that. I posted news about the Tetris Compant because it had sales figures for it, and joked about THEIR bringing up Angry Birds because, well, apparently the topic IS controversial because of the weekend-long argument about it. I'm not marginalizing anyone.

At any rate, I apologize about the attempt at humor, but I promise I only post stuff about that game if it's news. So, we cool?

cloudeagle on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Those birds probably seem only mildly distempered compared to the seething rage that they incite in some people.

I actually think its pretty funny that cloudeagle will post something like "sorry to bring up this game" along with news that mentions it and the immediate reaction is people getting all riled up at the mere notion that mentioning it would piss them off. Its the inevitable Angry Birds cycle and watching it unfold that is the joke.
    G Rol wrote: »
    What are the rumors? I've only really read about the potential controller screen and GTAV. Any info on what the online functionality is going to be like?

Oh, I only meant to say that the rumors itself suggest it being more then simply an HD Wii. 1UP seems to think that some of the rumors have been confirmed, mainly the 6 inch screen and the ability to play games via the controller itself separate from playing on the big screen.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm so excited about what we will see at E3.

I'm a MS fanboy so whatever they say will be awesome.

I'm totally excited about the PSVita.

Cafe sounds damned interesting.

So many awesome games are in the pipeline that we know little about, or have been leaked.

Going to be an awesome week for gamers, angry birds or no.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As long as MS doesn't focus on all Kinect like last year, I'll be happy.

Hell, I'm already happy enough that I'll actually be able to get achievements on an MGS game (thanks Konami for the collection btw :])

Sweeney Tom on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I've been pretty impressed by how little has been leaked thus far. The best E3 conferences are full of surprises.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rehab wrote: »

I used to like E3. Then it got a little too mainstream for me. 8-)

Dragkonias on
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Im looking forward to quite a bit this year.

I think it will be a fruitful E3.

Talkc on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd like to either be sold on Kinect by a ton of proper games for it, or for Microsoft to announce a bunch of good none-kinect stuff for the 360.

LewieP on
    edited June 2011
    E3 is too mainstream for me, I prefer TGS.

dbrock270 on
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Spaceworld 4 eva.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    plufim wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been pretty impressed by how little has been leaked thus far. The best E3 conferences are full of surprises.

.. really? I feel like there's been a lot more information coming out ahead of time than usual. I don't know if it's because the publishers want to get their trailers out ahead of the PSV/Cafe reveals so they don't get lost in the shuffle, but I don't remember this many reveals this far ahead of time the last few years.

That could also just be me not remembering previous years as well, though.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited June 2011
    Seriously

It leaked that Nintendo will announce a new console (at least I thought it leaked)

I'd say that's pretty major

Sweeney Tom on
    edited June 2011
    All I really care about,

How will Ubisoft top inventing Laser Tag last year?

Maddoc on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lots of trailers for existing games, a few announcements for downloadable games, and Heroes of Ruin. There weren't any announcements for major games were there? Nintendo already said at an investor meeting that they were revealing a new console.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »

.. really? I feel like there's been a lot more information coming out ahead of time than usual. I don't know if it's because the publishers want to get their trailers out ahead of the PSV/Cafe reveals so they don't get lost in the shuffle, but I don't remember this many reveals this far ahead of time the last few years.

PSV has blown out in advance, but we've got pretty much no idea of any new games to be revealed at either of the big three conferences.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Seriously

It leaked that Nintendo will announce a new console (at least I thought it leaked)

I'd say that's pretty major

It didn't leak, they announced it ahead of time. Like they announced the Wii (in a magazine no less) and Microsoft had a big thing on Spike TV to announce the Xbox 360 (plus an proto-ARG which lead people to a video that announced it.)

Undead Scottsman on
    edited June 2011
    Ah

Thanks Undead, I wasn't sure whether it leaked or not :]

Sweeney Tom on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is it sad that I hope beyond hope that they'll announce the Last Guardian as coming out this year instead of the next and the only reason they said it won't come out till 2012 is that Team ICO likes to play with our emotions?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It'd be a very meta way of doing so.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Café did leak actually. The initial stuff was before Nintendo announced that they'd be unveiling it at E3, and in fact said that Nintendo would announce it later the same month (April).

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that chart from the first page. The "intent to buy stuff" is nearly worthless, speculation on unannounced/unreleased products with unclear competition is a difficult proposition at best and often completely futile; two years ago Android was an also-ran next to iOS now it's the market leader. But if you look at the "expect to be released" it can serve as a decent surrogate for brand awareness and how consumers view current products.

The Apple stuff is pretty interesting: Apple has announced new iPods and iPhones on a near-annual basis since they were launched, and the iPad 2 was launched a year after the first, maintaining that timing, yet under 40% of people surveyed expected a successor within the next two years. Even though they haven't been announced (Apple loves secrecy), past history alone combined with Apple's tremendous brand awareness and ability to get the public to know about those should get that number much higher. I can easily predict with 100% certainty that short of a meteor landing on Cupertino that Apple will release not one but TWO successors to all three of those products over the next 24 months.

From Sony's side I'd be worried that only 32% of people believe that Sony will launch a successor to the PSP within the next 2 years, despite the successor being announced months ago for release in at least some territories this year. More people believe that we'll see a PS4 in the next 2 years than the NGP. That says Sony hasn't gotten the word out enough that the NGP exists (even without Apple's brand and product awareness and the more limited scope of the handheld market the number expecting it to exist should be at LEAST 50%, if not much higher). Also interesting is that the same number (about 1 in 3) believe that Nintendo will release a successor to the 3DS within the next 2 years. I think Nintendo hasn't adequately communicated to the public that the 3DS isn't the latest in the DS->DS Lite->DSi->DSi XL cycle but rather a true successor system, which would also contribute strongly to the [relatively] lackluster early sales. I'd also take the nearly 50% expectance rate for a Wii successor (the highest of any product surveyed) to be a perfect indicator to why we're seeing Café: Nintendo knows that the public feels that the Wii's time has passed and it's time to move on.

Anyway I'd be reluctant to try and glean too much information out of that chart, but there's still some interesting factoids that can be found if you approach it from the right mindset.

Chris FOM on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Graviija wrote: »

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It takes a lot of at bats to hit a home run. Nintendo has this in their DNA. It is a very different mindset from that of Sony and MS. Not sure if that is good or bad.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »

PSV has blown out in advance, but we've got pretty much no idea of any new games to be revealed at either of the big three conferences.

PSV hasn't been blown out that much though. We know about the system and a handful of games but that's really it. There's still plenty they can announce for it. Price, launch date and third party games (*coughLumines*) being the big ones.

As for the Cafe being leaked beforehand (as Chris said, it was leaked before Nintendo even mentioned it), how is that much different to the situation with the 3DS last year? We knew it was coming and had a few details about it but it was still pretty cool when they actually announced it.
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Is it sad that I hope beyond hope that they'll announce the Last Guardian as coming out this year instead of the next and the only reason they said it won't come out till 2012 is that Team ICO likes to play with our emotions?

Yes it is sad, because releasing this year would put it up against games like MW3, Uncharted 3, AC: Revelations, Gears 3, Battlefield 3 and a lot of other high profile games (let alone the Vita launch), so it'd be completely overshadowed. Early next year (say around February like Heavy Rain) would be a far better time for it to come out. So hope for a release this year if you want Last Guardian to bomb. :P

On the bright side, the Team ICO Collection should be coming out around September/October (September's been confirmed for its Japanese release so I'd expect the US/PAL versions to come out around the same time).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid