Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[L.A Noire] - Phelps, you didn't use spoiler tags! You're a loose cannon!

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Do you get the intuition points for leveling up in Free Roam in the main game?

Im going into Vice case 3, and Im out of intuition points. I was just about to level 14 and I figured I could load up free roam and do some street crimes to level up and get some points for the next case.

I loaded up free roam, did one crime, and leveled up to level 14 and nothing at all happened.

Do you just get nothing for level 14, or does leveling up in free roam actually screw you out of intuition points?

XBL: MXrox - PSN: mxmarks - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Do you get the intuition points for leveling up in Free Roam in the main game?

Im going into Vice case 3, and Im out of intuition points. I was just about to level 14 and I figured I could load up free roam and do some street crimes to level up and get some points for the next case.

I loaded up free roam, did one crime, and leveled up to level 14 and nothing at all happened.

Do you just get nothing for level 14, or does leveling up in free roam actually screw you out of intuition points?
    I think there are a couple levels where you just don't get anything. And I know there are some where instead of Intuition points you get car locations or new suits.

That's probably what happened.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. On Hiatus!

Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
    edited June 2011
    yeah, just ended up shutting it off without saving and leveled up in the main game on a street crime - nothing.

And next rank is 5 hidden cars. greeeeat.

Looks like its just me and my gut for awhile...

XBL: MXrox - PSN: mxmarks - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Random Fact: Even if you delete your saves after completing the game (except for User Preferences), a New Game will replenish all 5 of your Intuition Points after ever case.

My roommate and I shared the same profile for DLC reasons, and when I learned that he was cashing in all those points EVERY CASE, I got rather envious.

edited June 2011
    Well, the final vice case just made this game go from good but flawed to fucking GREAT but flawed.

• apotheosapotheos Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2011
    mspencer wrote: »
    You'll have to pass a pretty high bar if you want to successfully argue that the plot of the game -- the sequence of events -- was objectively bad. That's more than just having an opinion -- that's persuasively arguing your opinion in an attempt to influence others. That's harder to do and requires more effort.
    This is very true, but its also debating the entirely wrong thing. Love it, or hate it, the worst thing about this game is how terribly poorly the story was integrated with the interactive elements. Some people are more tolerant of movies-as-games, but this title clearly wanted to redefine some boundaries here. But in the end it didn't just play out as a cliche, it played out as a cliche interpreted by a drunkard who probably had a different first language than the audience.

猿も木から落ちる
  • apotheosapotheos Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2011
    I never used intuition. It was pointless in exploration, and always told you the obvious in interrogations.

But I guess there was some influence on the match-the-evidence-to-the-lie mechanic that I didn't quite understand how to use.

猿も木から落ちる
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I love using the "community" option and seeing that like 80% of people got it wrong. I really think that the interrogation mechanic is poorly explained and half the time its a fucking wild guess whats going to happen with any of the button presses. Which I guess would be fun if intentional but its clear its just poorly connected. Also phelps should be a "wait for the evidence to come in" guy, but he fucking flies off in random directions with every wrong question. I feel like if I doubt someone and im wrong it should still be in character for phelps.

Also the WALLS of fucking text that pop up during an action sequence to tell you what to do. Im a little fucking busy rockstar, this is why other games integrate tutorials into the gameplay. I fucking hate this in rockstar games, the text isnt event animated or in a cool font. Just hey HAVE SOME TEXT AND DEAL WITH IT.

The way some cases just end without any explanation or elaboration and the clue finding itself is also really bad.

I think this is the last straw for me with rockstar games, they pick these fantastic settings and polish the shit out of it, then have half-baked awkward minigames and poor writing and pacing. Im so confused.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I just fucked up my first case. I have been a four star detective right across the board up until the Golden Butterfly where I get one star - "Unbecoming" and I have no fucking idea how it happened.

Did anyone else have a problem with this case?
    Spoiler:

I don't remember the correct solution to that case, but the good news for you is that you can replay any case from the main menu and try again.
    Spoiler:

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Prohass wrote: »
    I love using the "community" option and seeing that like 80% of people got it wrong.

That means the correct answer is lie and you'd better think hard about what the evidence you need to present it.

optimusighsig.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ED! wrote: »
    I just fucked up my first case. I have been a four star detective right across the board up until the Golden Butterfly where I get one star - "Unbecoming" and I have no fucking idea how it happened.

Spoiler:

I don't remember the correct solution to that case, but the good news for you is that you can replay any case from the main menu and try again.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TeeMan wrote: »

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Is it really a reoccuring theme?
    Spoiler:

Automasig.jpg
    edited June 2011
    TeeMan wrote: »

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Is it really a reoccuring theme?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Excellent response :lol:

steam_sig.png
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Early homicide spoilers.
    Spoiler:

Automasig.jpg
  • mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Spoiler:

Sure, but the problem is
    Spoiler:

I do agree that overall the game has a good noir storyline, and I actually like Phelps. Look at any of the great noir characters (Sam Spade, or Phillip Marlowe) and they're not flawless heroes either. But they're basically good people, or trying to be, even though they don't always do the right thing or resist weakness.
    Spoiler:

Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
    edited June 2011
    Early homicide spoilers.
    Spoiler:

Well, no theory is perfect. But you have to admit it's a *hilarious* theory.

obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
    edited June 2011
    Just 3 starred the gas man, and the moment I hit "charge" I knew I was dead wrong. Ugh, i deserved the verbal thrashing.

edited June 2011
    Finished 5 starring Traffic and Homicide. And finished all the street crime cases.

Not looking forward to finding those 62 cars I'm still missing, though.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just finished finding all the cars.
    It's managed to make me never want to play the game again, so good job Team Bondi.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence was false.
    edited June 2011
    Wow. John Noble just single handedly gave me my first 2 star case. WOW. I feel so defeated.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been stopping and getting inside of any "rare" cars I see as I play. I'm not talking about the ones they show you on your map. I'm talking about rare-spawns as in cars that don't show up very often. Not sure in the long term if this method will work for me, but its what I've been doing.

Also when I find myself near a parking lot with like 5 or 6 cars in it, I'll just go and sit in all of them.
    Spoiler:

edited June 2011
    If you have the "Slip of the Tongue" DLC
    Spoiler:

obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • IceyIcey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Finally finished the game. I found everying thing minus the face technology really lackluster. It's basically a very lightly interactive FMV game. I wish it had required any "detective thinking" from the player at all.

Yet, I still find myself wanting a sequel. The overwhelmingly positive response doesn't give me much hope that they'll fix the problems with the gameplay and writing, though.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Alright, so I loved Police Quest back in the day. Should I get this?

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mythago wrote: »
    If you have the "Slip of the Tongue" DLC
    Spoiler:

:^:
    Spoiler:

edited June 2011
    I don't know how bad the ending must be for people to dislike it, because right now its ramping up to be pretty awesome.

edited June 2011
    Ugh I just typed a whole thing but my computer ate it.

Long short of it - loved the game, just finished, will buy the sequel day 1 and all DLC.

Only major complaint
    Spoiler:

Oh, also would have liked
    Spoiler:

• SenshiSenshi Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Zoidberg, you've been waiting to use the phrase in the OP since we played the APB beta haven't you

>Signatures
    >2012
    ISHYGDDT
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh, also would have liked
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

optimusighsig.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For a sequel I just want to play as a PI, but in a different city with a completely different cast.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy Fighting the War on String Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Finished homicide, not sure what everyone was complaining about.

I did bring this game on vacation when I was hanging out with a friend of mine who doesn't play video games at all, and he got really into it. He was really impressed by the writing and while he had some (fairly common) complaints about the game (gameplay was somewhat repetitive, it was quite easy for a lot of it) he was overall quite into the game.

Elki wrote: »

Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Ah, LA Noire, I have completed you. Well, most of you. A lot of your driving/footchase elements are fuckin dogshit so I didn't do those if I didn't have to. ANYWAY:
    Spoiler:

• GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    OK, I'm stuck on Manifest Destiny, and the search function doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas?
    Spoiler:

I'm enjoying the game so far but the shine is rapidly fading. I think this will be a quick sell once I finish Arson.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Chrono PaladinChrono Paladin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mythago wrote: »
    Spoiler:

Sure, but the problem is
    Spoiler:

I do agree that overall the game has a good noir storyline, and I actually like Phelps. Look at any of the great noir characters (Sam Spade, or Phillip Marlowe) and they're not flawless heroes either. But they're basically good people, or trying to be, even though they don't always do the right thing or resist weakness.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Spoiler:

edited June 2011
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • DomhnallDomhnall Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Plus a Slip of the Tongue is DLC. Most people wouldn't have it.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So my partner (Galloway) won't get in the car with me any more. He just says "I'm busy here Phelps" if I try to make him drive. When I show up at a location he's there, but it's kind of annoying.

Any ideas?

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.