As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There are many Fantasies; but this, like the last, was Final [FFXI]

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Hit 51, damn near 52 in that party. I started tonight at 44 so can't complain about XP.

I better do the 55 break before I get into another good party or I'll have to bail after like an hour. I need to figure out what to do about my AF gear. What would be the etiquette for shouting for help for that in Jeuno? Or is that even a good idea?

What was your skill gain in that time?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hit 51, damn near 52 in that party. I started tonight at 44 so can't complain about XP.

I better do the 55 break before I get into another good party or I'll have to bail after like an hour. I need to figure out what to do about my AF gear. What would be the etiquette for shouting for help for that in Jeuno? Or is that even a good idea?

What was your skill gain in that time?

Zero!

But alas, Level Sync; what can you do?

EDIT: And besides, it only took me about half hour just now in the behemoths lair to get my skills back up to about where they should be. No biggie. I'm sure the kupowers increasing skill ups helped. And I'm sure once I get over 200 skill it won't be made up so easily but meh. It's hard enough to find any party these days outside of Abyssea. If I turned down Level Syncs I'd only be able to solo ever.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited May 2011
    Reraise wears off
    Myxomycetes readies Dark Spore
    Kingshand takes 512 damage
    >>Invincible
    Kingshand is Paralyzed
    >>Invincible
    Kingshand is Paralyzed
    >>Invincible
    Kingshand is Paralyzed

Return to Home Point?

><

not so invincible am I?

Stupid fungus. That damn attack always does like 40 damage. Then it busts out with 512? Load. of. shit.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited May 2011
    Almost 55 now; I'll hit it shortly after my daughter goes to bed. I might just get the xp to put me right up to 56 and then try to find some help in Jeuno for the limit break quest; or just dick around in NIN if I don't have any luck. The downside is I seem to be running out of areas to do Fields of Valor without everything being too low. I never noticed, because I never got so high soloing, that there's a big gap from 60ish-75 to be able to really feasibly solo stuff. Looks like Garliage Citadel covers a lot of those levels now, for the Grounds of Valor thing; but even that seems awfully limited. Guess I'll find out soon.

The XP curve to level seems to ramp up a good bit once you hit 50. It's been going up ~1k per level required whereas before I twas going up like 200xp per level.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited May 2011
    Found someone to give me a hand with the 55 break, so that's taken care of. I just need 1 xp to get to 56 and i'll grab the crest break and start working on those. Two of them look relatively easy to solo, but the yugado one does not. But if that's all I need help with that'd be cool. Then I can just get help with all my AF stuff starting with the sword. :(

The Dude With Herpes on

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, I wont be playing til wednesday, since I'm just feeling powerfully lazy, but I'll hop on and do whatever I can help you with.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Well I ended up getting to 18799/18800 to 61 last night after I got my 55 break. The girl who helped me with the break gave me a pearl and said "hey, me and my bf are going into abyssea, would you like to see it?"

Next thing I know I'm at the xp cap and have tons of curor and dominion notes that I can use to buy gear I won't be able to use for another 20-30 levels. I also got some level 77 sword out of a chest that they didn't need.

So yeah, I now understand how and why abyssea is so insane for leveling. If I didn't have my caps still and had the time, you can get so much xp at any level if you're with people and/or know what you're doing. Of course I couldn't hit a damn thing myself so I'm 5 levels behind on skills again, but it didn't take too long to catch up last time, so I'm not too worried about it.

Gonna try to work on the 60 break today in my free time, see if I can't finish it alone. If so I know I can do the rest alone.

Hell, if I keep leveling at the rate I have been the last two days I might not even need help :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on

edited May 2011
    Like I said, Abyssea is nuts. Its just about knowing people. Getting a shell is always an awesome thing, too. I currently only have one, I should look into getting another. People to shuffle through.

Still, skilling up isnt so bad. Good ol tree crabs ftw.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Got the 60 break. Started the 65 break and realized I don't have any kindred's seals. ><

I'm having a hell of a time finding enemies that are 50+ that I can solo that aren't too high, or listed as like 48-52 and you never find the 50+ ones.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Well, just let me know any time today past.. like. 2pm EST and I'll hop on and demolish whatever needs be demolished for seals. Just PM me here if I'm not loafing on Carbie.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    What level are you?

I was under the impression that enemies could only drop the seals if they granted XP. I was browsing for tips and looks like there's a number of enemies exactly in the range I'm needing in Crawlers Nest. But if it's just purely a level range thing and they don't have go grant xp then that's cool.

I could use help for sure on my AF stuff though. I'm ready to go kill the dude for the sword in ordelles and I have the bug for the part after but I will be honest that I have no idea how to fish. Can anyone fish up the NM for the PLD AF1 or is it only the PLD? I'll have to read a quick guide maybe. All the coffer mobs for the next three parts are 60-70 :rotate:. The NM's on the last part look tough to do even for a 75, but a 90 should be able to handle them easily I'd assume. I guess I don't know the relative difference in what monsters can do to a 90 vs a 75.

Weeee so much to do.

Anyway, when I'm on today depends a lot on when/if my daughter takes a nap and/or if she is in a mood to entertain herself. She's on the border of when she wants attention 24/7 and when she likes to play by herself a lot and only needs monitored. It's a flip of the coin every morning. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Things drop seals as long as they are the right level. They are simply items. As for what level I am.. uh, 86? BST. 87. Something like that. I don't remember off the top off my head right now. Basically high enough to rock some dipper yuly ftw and all that jazz. Also have a 75ish PUP and DRG for extra lulzyness. And various jobs in the 40s and 50s.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Well, it seems you can't get kindred seals in abyssea. At least Abyssea Altep. I tried awhile in Crawlers Nest with no luck either. :(

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Well, it seems you can't get kindred seals in abyssea. At least Abyssea Altep. I tried awhile in Crawlers Nest with no luck either. :(

..I have no idea why you didn't PM me on the forums, I've just been putting around all day playing FFV. Pah.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Oh sorry, I friended you in POL but doesnt look like you've been on. I didn't think to PM you.

I actually wasn't on that long; I couldn't play almost all day. I logged in to do crawlers next and the folks in the ls asked me to come to abyssea to see if maybe seals dropped there. Maybe the lower abysseas but not the high ones at least. I'll be on again in a bit.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Got my seals, plus a few. Gonna burn the rest of my xp ring charge then finish the 65 break tomorrow. Got most of my skills caught up too.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Vorpal Blade is glorious.

Also I now have enough kindred seals for my 65 break and the 75 break so that's cool.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Thanks Chocobo for the help with a lot of my AF gear. I had a guy in my LS give me a hand with the eldeime coffer and the stuff I needed to do in zvahl.

All I need now is a pair of NM's killed in Davoi and I'll have finished my AF set and am ready to get to 70 and do Maat.

You mentioned some scroll thing for Maat. What is that? I don't mean the testimony; i mean to kill him.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Get to level 69 and some odd 200 xp tnl.

Go do a chocobo 'return to the stable' quest to get a page from the dragon chronicles item. When you read it, it will give you random xp amounts from like 200~800 or whatever.

Go fight Maat. When your health gets lower, run a bit away and read the scroll. Gain a level. Profit. Murder his face.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thanks Chocobo for the help with a lot of my AF gear. I had a guy in my LS give me a hand with the eldeime coffer and the stuff I needed to do in zvahl.

All I need now is a pair of NM's killed in Davoi and I'll have finished my AF set and am ready to get to 70 and do Maat.

You mentioned some scroll thing for Maat. What is that? I don't mean the testimony; i mean to kill him.

Your in luck Duder, my bro just did the Maat fight on his PLD two nights ago and went 1 for 1. It was close but I'll give you the run down:
    Equips: Full AF, Macuahuitl +1, Iron Ram Shield, Life Belt, Amemet Mantle, Spike Earring x2, Woodsman Ring x2, and Chivalrous Chain
    Stats: Level 70, Sword skill 205, Shield skill 175, Capped Evasion, can't remember the rest.
    Consumables: Carbonara, Yagudo Drink x2, Hi Potion +1 x4, Vile Elixir, Icarus Wing, Sleeping Potion x2 (For Opo Necklace, only 2 were up at the time.)

The strategy was no different than what you'd see in on the Wiki or other places. He got really lucky in that Maat didn't Invincible and used his TP to solely "Maat Bash" over and over. We were worried he'd time out thanks to the Sleep potions and buffing he didn't engage until 4 mins in the fight. Even with his less than desirable skill levels and Vorpal Blade'ing while Flash'd once. He still got him with 4 secs left before Maat raged and had roughly 250 HP remaining.

Knowing how the fight goes, I'd grab a Vile Elixir +1 for extra padding, try sleeping to 100 TP, and obviously getting higher skills. Like I said he got lucky and it was just a trial run but hey we'll take what we can get.

I totally forgot about that trick Chocobo, I can't remember if Maat scales to your level or not, but either way a quick HP/MP restore will seal victory there.

WillisIVIIX on
    edited June 2011
    Hmm..that's an interesting tactic with the leveling.

It would be tough to try to plan to stop at that exact point to level. Also I bought some gear for 70 in prep for the fight and I wouldn't be able to use it most of the time. Hmmmmm....I'll think about it. I'm not sure if I'm good enough at riding a chocobo in a straight line to get one of the exp scrolls anyway :lol:

Might be better off just relying on a vile elixir +1 instead; that looks like it recovers most of your hp/mp. On the other hand, I don't want to have to get help getting another testimony if I fail so I want to make sure I do it right the first time.

I mean, as fun as I'm sure it was for you (Chocobo) to wait for 40+ minutes on Oztroja last night because I kept dicking up the fishing and fucking lotting.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Eh, getting a testimony is easy, I'll farm up as many of those as need be, so dont sweat it too much.

Also, it gave me a chance to get some shield skill. huzzah.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Soooo...no one was on tonight and I couldn't find a party so I decided to go solo some in the Bostaunieux Oubliette, see if I can handle the early Grounds of Valor pages...

First enemy I kill drops a chest with a pair of rare lvl 90 gloves that sell for 1m gil.

That was pretty awesome.

Also I just want to say how cool the Grounds of Valor stuff is. It is almost identical to Fields of Valor; just better. The level ranges for an area are more wild (ordelles for example has pages for level 20-30, and then nothing till level 90), but you can generally find a location with a Grounds Tome that has every level tier covered.

But what is better, well there is a progressive xp reward. Whereas FoV gives a set xp reward every time, GoV has a minimum and a maximum. The minimum will be about what an equivalent FoV for that level would be, i.e. ~1300 for my level 68 pld. However, the max will be like 3k. So, each successive page you do will give you more and more till it caps out and then you'll be getting the cap. So if you're doing pages over and over anyway, like you would soloing; you're getting progressively better XP rewards every time. The Gil/Tabs scale too with the XP always being equal for gil and 10% of the xp for tabs.

Plus it has the "Prowess" you earn for the first two pages you complete in an in-game day. The Prowesses can be anything from a buff to HP/MP to increased attack power, increased chest drops, whatever. And they stack seemingly forever, so you could end up with really high damage, or really high health, etc. You only lose Prowess if you zone, not if you log off. So if you can just log out in the dungeon and when you come back to do more another time you'll still be buffed up.

It's pretty cool. The page I've been doing most of the evening in the Oubliette is to kill 6 enemies; which is nothing really, and since they lifted the once/day restriction on it you can do them to your hearts content. I've been using up the rest of my novennial ring, but enemies would normally be giving me 100-150 xp a kill, which isn't much, but when you consider I'm also getting another 2kxp for killing them it makes every kill effectively worth ~400, plus what I'm getting for the ring.

It's not the fastest exp you can get in the game, by any stretch; but its more than you could ever dream of getting solo even a couple years ago.

Also, the Grounds Tome has made people get creative with parties. Last night I was invited to an alliance in the Crawlers Nest doing the first page, which is 3 crawlers and 3 bees. The alliance was 18 people, each with a level 40ish person to sync to. The enemies were only giving about 10xp a pop, but you could finish a page in a couple minutes, so you were effectively getting ~2k xp every 5 minutes or less via the pages. It was chaos with 18 people running around to slaughter 6 enemies and race back to the tome to get another page, but it was funny. As we were finishing up, another alliance had started doing the same thing so apparently its a known tactic at this point. I was actually hoping to get into another one of those tonight but meh. I made a cool million gil (when it sells) and got my skills back where I need them so it was worth while.

I still need to kill a pair of NM's in davoi for my AF chest though. :P

EDIT: Also I just figured out that if I buy 80 Bahuts, I will have 640 storage slots on my mule....It'd cost me ~560k gil at their current price and awhile to get that many but it might be worthwhile. It would be pretty easy to surpass the 80 slots my bank is pretty quickly. And I wouldn't need to spend money on my mules gobbiebag. Hmm...

The Dude With Herpes on

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    There is a cap on storage.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited June 2011
    Ooooh...too bad. Oh well, 80 extra isn't bad either. Maybe I'll just drop the gil on one of those 64 slot wall mounted thingies and a pair of bahuts and call it good.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Welp; killed Maat.

I think I was expecting something considerably more difficult. I'm kind of annoyed I wasted a charge on a blink band so now I can't sell it back to the AH. Other than my initial buff stuff, and the Dragon Chronicles I used to level to 70 during the fight, I didn't even get worried once. He never used Invincible, and never used Asuran Fists or whatever his scary attack is supposed to be.

Oh well. better to be over prepared than underprepared. Now I can get to 75. I still want my AF chest though. :P

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Random question:

If I switch nation allegiances, say I wanted to do all the ranks to see them; do I lose my Outpost Teleports when i switch? Those took a long damn time to get and I don't want to lose them.

I'd just like to know if you lose them straight up, if you keep them, or if its' like you get them back if you switch back to your home nation or something.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    You get them back when you switch back to that nation. what outposts you have are stored individually per nation. which is a little sad, as I'd never be able to change off bastok now that I have every outpost ever.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Ah, well that's comforting at least. If I went Windy or Bastok I would just do the missions asap and move on back to Sandy. As long as I know that I can get them back. The only two I'm missing on Sandy is Sarutabaruta and the Tavnazian one because I haven't worked into those missions to be eligible to go there. Someday Sandy will take Sarutabaruta and I'll get it to complete my collection.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Me and a couple people took saruta right around when Abyssea came out. With several hundred thousand cruor and a steady stream of abyssea gear. Delicious it was. Time consuming, though.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Did you just buy gear via cruor and turn it into the duder at the outpost?

Hmmm...interesting. I need to work on getting more cruror so I can buy the lvl 78 armor but I haven't had much luck getting much. I get some here and there but much of it has gone to activating the portals and buying keys.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Arggh; what am I missing here?

I just blew about an hour and a half of visitant status trying to find a party doing ops in Abyssea-Altepa. There were a ton of groups running the ops, some where full, but some obviously weren't. No one was interested at all in inviting me. And it's not my level. Sure, I'm only 73, but I watched a swath of people anywhere from 40-90 leveling and gaining merits.

So what am I supposed to do to get into a party running ops for xp? It seems like these people knew what to do; they were in various LS's, there was one alliance of 12 or so that not one was in the same LS. So they're not doing it that way. I have never seen a /shout for xp parties specifically in Jeuno; it's always for papers or cards or stones for gear. It's not like people could miss me, I was right there. A few other people came and went also LFP at the time, but they didn't seem to have luck either, but also didn't sit there as long as me.

Where am I supposed to go and what the fuck am I supposed to do to get into a party doing this? I had zero luck finding a party today and I probably had my flag up for about 6 hours total which is fucking stupid for a saturday afternoon/night. I would have taken any party, I was only looking for an Abyssea party specifically later in the night.

So annoying.

The Dude With Herpes on

• WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Don't sit in Abyssea, as you just realized you'll purge too much time for no reason. Sit in Port Jeuno with your flag up. Problem is PLD doesn't bring anything to the table in an Ops party besides pulling occasionally. Hope for the best.

WillisIVIIX on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, but I don't bring any less than those lowbies who were just sitting there too. Most weren't even opening chests; I have plenty of keys and would be happy to be on top of that. I just want xp and cruor. :(

I get it, I'm not super desired, my next jobs to level will be DNC and NIN because they're the best subs for everything; hopefully those will be a bit more enticing.

I just want to get to 90 to finish my limit breaks for all my jobs and to just have a 90 so I can solo anything I need to for future jobs till they get higher level; like getting all of their AF gear and such. In the hour+ I was sitting there I saw a guy go from 60-73; I could easily get to 90 from 73, even including the merits I need for the next 3 breaks, in a few hours flat. Then I wouldn't have to bother anyone with it as a non-90.

I tried sitting in jeuno for awhile but probably because by the time I did it was so late the only shouts for parties were in japanese so I had no idea what was being advertised, and groups for armor papers. I might give it a go this afternoon since I'll have some time when my daughter goes down but I'm still pretty grouchy from last night. I might just play some WoW instead.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Getting Abyssea invites is pretty hit or miss. Easiest just to fish around for linkshells, really.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, the one I have, the folks are nice and helpful but they play mostly when I'm asleep. I can't always catch them unless I'm on really late or get up early. I've never had anyone offer me a LS otherwise though.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Bah, I finally got into a good ops party, got the merits I needed to get the 80 cap, got into 76 and my daughter woke up screaming so had to take care of that and drop the party. My luck, I'm not gonna find another one tonight.

Damn kids, don't they understand what is important here?
    I'm totally joking. <3 my daughter

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Ended up finding a party but it was rather slow. They started out in Abyssea-Grauberg and for whatever reason wanted to wait for a full alliance to start so that took awhile. Then after we got going folks were needing to go back to jeuno for more stones since planning ahead is hard. After that they decided to go to Altep, which was actually faster, but still slow going as there was another full alliance there pulling 10+ sand sweepers at once for no good reason so we had to fight for spawns.

Either way I made it to 80, but didn't get more merit points to do the 80 break. I'm down to two stones total, should have a third by tomorrow but still. Ugh. For reasons I don't quite understand we weren't getting any time stones in Altep so people were just blowing time and not making any back. I'm not sure how that got dicked up. Every other time I've been there we get stones out of the wazoo.

EDIT: Also wtf 600k gil for Phalanx. Uhh....Guess I need to do some BCNM 40s?

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    What BCNM give phalanx again? Hmm... time to go look!

..Oh hey, Under Observation. I still want to do that. We should do that sometime. I can try to make Maddoc get on and be useful, as well.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Dear FFXI players,

If you convert right next to 3 different Sand Sweepers and then they aoe, you are not allowed to bitch about not getting heals.

/sigh

Not at all related, are Resistance Ops doable without a party like campaign is? I.E. does the game automatically put you in groups for it? I need some resistance notes for a piece of my pld emp gear.

The Dude With Herpes on